Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Creating Keepsakes Convention? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/creating-keepsakes-convention-130513/)

laderme 03-20-2006 05:53 AM

Creating Keepsakes Convention?

Has anyone ever been to a Creating Keepsakes convention? What did you think? Was it a great experience, or not? Would you go again?

I am thinking of going to a convention this year, but I am not sure which one.

TIA

geojlc 03-20-2006 07:26 AM

I think I read that Stampin' Up! is going to be sponsoring a couple of make and take technique classes at the Creating Keepsake conventions...

laderme 03-20-2006 09:43 AM

:)

rubykbear 03-20-2006 11:10 AM

I have been going every year for the past 6 years (AZ). I've noticed the last 2 years that the classes are not as educational and are more of a make-n-take. I do enjoy the shopping though! (side note, I hate crowds, so I always go on Friday - Saturday is just much too crowded.)

ukycats_1 03-20-2006 01:13 PM

I went to CKC in Nashville last year, to shop only, I had a lot of fun. I have already made plans to attend this year and am taking two classes. I think it is worth the money and time if you scrapbook. I don't know if you would enjoy it if all you do is make cards.

Kimmerriffic 03-20-2006 06:44 PM

Nashville

I was there , too! Shopping was great! I really enjoyed it and I can't wait for the next one coming up really soon!

jjsgirl 03-20-2006 09:37 PM

I just got back yesterday from CKC Portland and had a blast!! They classes are very fun, and well done. However they are VERY fast paced. If you can't stand the heat I would maybe only take a few. The shopping is so fun too. I easily could of spent thousands!! I went last year as well, and also had a great time. The classes are also a great value I think!! Go and have fun!

MommaGena 03-20-2006 10:15 PM

I plan on going to CKC in St. Louis in April. It will be my first CKC and I am so excited!! I am signed up for 4 classes spread out through the day so I will also have plenty of time to shop! LOL

kaclarke 03-21-2006 04:39 AM

I went to CKC in Manchester, NH last year and had a great time. I enjoyed the make-n-takes at the vendor fair and the classes I took. I am already registered for this years convention.

gmcbunny 03-21-2006 07:36 AM

I was at the CK convention in Portland both as a demonstrator for CTMH and a shopper/class participant - I love it, it was the 4th one I have been too! Great fun!

Kathyc 03-21-2006 09:18 AM

Some friends and I are talking about going to the convention in Manchester, NH for the 1st time this year; sounds like fun so we better get signed up!

pigfingers 03-21-2006 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathyc
Some friends and I are talking about going to the convention in Manchester, NH for the 1st time this year; sounds like fun so we better get signed up!

I was thinking of going up for a few classes too and forgot to sign up, there are a few left open, but not much!!! Think I will just be hitting the vendor faire again!!

Dayna

nightscrapper 03-21-2006 10:27 PM

I've been to many over the last 8 years and have really enjoyed them. Lots of good shopping and usually great deals. Sometimes the classes aren't all that great, but the crops are usually fun. Go with friends, it's always fun.

marlo

Estrovan 03-22-2006 03:57 AM

My husband has known since December that he needs to take a day off on August 4th (Charlotte, NC).

THAT'S how much I love going to that show!!!! I spent a FORTUNE - but had a great time. Loved every minunte of it!

Jeanniebabes 03-22-2006 06:27 AM

It is coming to Kansas City this weekend and I plan on going Friday while my daughter is at school. I saw that a couple of you mentioned signing up for things. What are you signing up for??

a_place_for_ink 03-22-2006 06:39 AM

I went to my 2nd one over the past weekend in Portland (the first was in Bellevue, WA). Took TEN classes (exhausting). Shopped early (the only way to do it, but there are STILL lines!). And for once, won door prizes in classes and at the vendor faire (yay!). The best advice: Take lots of money and some strong arms to carry all that you buy. Have a back up blade for your cutter if you take lots of classes, and a 2nd/back up adhesive just in case you need it. It was total fun, fun, fun!!! Only got about 12 hours of sleep over 3 days, but would do it again next year!
Sometimes the classes aren't what you expect. I heard some grumblings that people didn't like their classes. However I was really happy with the ones that I took (mostly from SEI, Rusty Pickle, Basic Grey and Scrapbook Boxer)

Jeanniebabes 03-22-2006 07:56 AM

POOP!! I just went online to find out exactly where it was here in KC and it doesnt look like I will be able to swing it!!! Im bummed!! My DD is only in preschool for 2 1/2 hours and it will take me toooo long to get there and I wont have any time to shop so Friday is out. Saturday is out too cuz we are going to MIL's house for the weekend!! :(

gmcbunny 03-22-2006 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_place_for_ink
I went to my 2nd one over the past weekend in Portland (the first was in Bellevue, WA). Took TEN classes (exhausting). Shopped early (the only way to do it, but there are STILL lines!). And for once, won door prizes in classes and at the vendor faire (yay!). The best advice: Take lots of money and some strong arms to carry all that you buy. Have a back up blade for your cutter if you take lots of classes, and a 2nd/back up adhesive just in case you need it. It was total fun, fun, fun!!! Only got about 12 hours of sleep over 3 days, but would do it again next year!
Sometimes the classes aren't what you expect. I heard some grumblings that people didn't like their classes. However I was really happy with the ones that I took (mostly from SEI, Rusty Pickle, Basic Grey and Scrapbook Boxer)

I liked my classes I took in Portland too! What I did was pick Intermediate level classes instead of beginner. And I second the take extra adhesives and cutters!

ScrappinAubrey 03-22-2006 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
POOP!! I just went online to find out exactly where it was here in KC and it doesnt look like I will be able to swing it!!! Im bummed!! My DD is only in preschool for 2 1/2 hours and it will take me toooo long to get there and I wont have any time to shop so Friday is out. Saturday is out too cuz we are going to MIL's house for the weekend!! :(

Take your daughter out of school that day and take her with ya.
You'll regret not going they are supa kewl!

Jeanniebabes 03-22-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinAubrey
Take your daughter out of school that day and take her with ya.
You'll regret not going they are supa kewl!

Well there are 2 reasons why I cant do that. 1. I have to pick up another little boy on Fridays for school and if I dont take him he wont be able to go. 2. They dont allow strollers.

PMR 03-22-2006 02:12 PM

CKC classes

I have been for the past 2 years to NH. I took one class at each and was not impressed. The first year the class was really rushed. Last year, the project was not something I would ever do again. The shopping is fun though! This year I decided to save the class money to buy more stuff!

Kathyc 03-22-2006 05:02 PM

Hi PMR & anyone else who's been to Manchester before; are the vendors there all the time or just during the day? The only class left that I'm interested in is the card swap Friday night; There MUST be shopping at night too right???

a_place_for_ink 03-22-2006 05:22 PM

NO shopping on Friday night at the conventions that I've been to. However, there is early admittance for Saturday if you have the "band" thing in your envelope.

I believe classes that are rushed are usually the intemediate to advanced level ones. The beginner level classes were VERY laid back and allowed plenty of time for me to finish and to help others sitting near by/and chatting etc.

I don't know that I would want to shop with my kids...too bad they couldn't do a babysit thing in the vendor faire...shope for an hour, and babysitting is complimentary.... I dunno...just a thought. I hope you can find someone to watch them for you. Within 2 1/2 hours you can do a lot of shopping though!
Lines are VERY long at SEI (so go there first)...other lines got long too, but not AS long.

I can't wait for Bellevue's CK convention in October. I'll need that long to save up again!

gmcbunny 03-22-2006 05:36 PM

I want to head up to Bellevue too! I love the classes!

PMR 03-23-2006 02:29 PM

I think the vendor fair closes at 6 on Friday. We went before our class, had a quick dinner and then to class.