Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default a crazy compulsion

It's lovely Sunday. My DH is working. I have the house to myself and a full day to create. I start off strong, gathering this idea and that. Inspiration from my tried and true sources.

Ah. A whole day. Nothing to do but art. A whole day off tomorrow.

So. What did I do? What wonder of creative energy sprang forth from my fingertips?

Yeah. About that...

I moved all the furniture out of my kitchen, dining room and foyer and scrubbed the wood floors.

Yep. You heard me. No one here. A whole day to devote to any little project my heart desires and I....

CLEANED.

Avoidance, is what I call it. All week at my day job, all I dream about is a stamp or paintbrush in my hand. To actually MAKE something rather than DESIGN something in photoshop, which is what I do. I wanted a hands on, getting messy experience. So I washed the floor.

What, I ask you, compells us to do ANYTHING but what we love to do? Guilt for taking time to enjoy some free time? Fear that whatever we end up creating won't be satisfying? Personally, I hear a soft but insidious voice say, "Yeah, you can make it, but, REALLY... who's going to care?"

Anyone else or is it just me?

Please View My Humble Little Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

It's not you, I hear that same voice I do the same things most of the time. I don't know what it is that makes us NOT create something. I would like an answer as well

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayjaydee
Personally, I hear a soft but insidious voice say, "Yeah, you can make it, but, REALLY... who's going to care?"

Anyone else or is it just me?

Living the good life.

Old 09-03-2006, 02:03 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Red face I agree

I will seem to waste the day... cleaning, grocery shopping, etc ... and then the day is gone and time to go back to work ... but I am hoping that if I get things straight this weekend it will free me up some time in the evenings ... I am going to start about an hour before I go to bed at least 3 nights a week going to my craft room to work ... on organizing, crafting, stamping, scrapping ... I am so far behind in scrapping it is isn't funny ... so maybe if we try it in small chunks it will work easier ...
Old 09-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I had the same thought this weekend: My roommate is kayaking all weekend and I have the house to myself.... I think I'll get creative. Well, Saturday went by....no new creations (but all my laundry is done!). Sunday is just about over... no new creations (but the freezer is full of freshly made ravioli and banana chocolate chip cookies). One more day left of this long weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get some stamping in. I have lots of ideas but I just can't seem to sit down and put them to paper without finding something else to do first. Sigh!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:40 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crysta
...(but the freezer is full of freshly made ravioli and banana chocolate chip cookies)...
I've got milk. What time should I come over? (lol)

Please View My Humble Little Gallery
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2006, 02:41 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

I am an expert at avoidance!

My creative therapy
Old 09-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I had the same thought this weekend: My roommate is kayaking all weekend and I have the house to myself.... I think I'll get creative. Well, Saturday went by....no new creations (but all my laundry is done!). Sunday is just about over... no new creations (but the freezer is full of freshly made ravioli and banana chocolate chip cookies). One more day left of this long weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get some stamping in. I have lots of ideas but I just can't seem to sit down and put them to paper without finding something else to do first. Sigh!
Not to Hijack, but do you have a great ravioli recipe? I have been wanting to try to make some for a while and can't seem to find recipes!

My creative therapy
Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayjaydee
I've got milk. What time should I come over? (lol)
You'll have to fight my roommate for the cookies!
Old 09-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

ok, so we have established that it's not just you...it's all of us! But maybe we could get some of Crysta's awesome banana chocolate chip cookies and all meet up at Kayjay's really clean house and get creative! Or at least talk about it! lol!

But truthfully, you guys make me feel so guilty...I haven't accomplished too much along the lines of creativity either but I squander my time checking e-mail and skulking around the demo forums at SCS and trust me, there is plenty of non-stamping stuff I could do around my house!!! Jan
Old 09-03-2006, 02:58 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

See, now that the house is clean, you can sit down and create to your heart's content! At least that's what I tell myself. . .

Oh--and you still have tomorrow!

Sharon
Old 09-03-2006, 03:39 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I've been avoiding my stamps this weekend because the craft room is such a mess that I'd have to clean it first and that's too much like work, lol! Seriously, I have a lot of home chores to get done and my DD and I are trying to get caught up with season II of "House" before season III starts this Tuesday, and ..... and...... You know how it is.

My Gallery
Old 09-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm there with ya. I feel like I have a great big "L" stamped on my forehead. Oh no I don't because I probably wouldn't take the time to stamp it. I made cookies yesterday too and even made a good supper and cleaned house. My teen DS's haven't been home and DH put new tile down in the bathroom. So why didn't I just stamp/scrap? Then DH and I went to Michael's after church today. We have to drive almost 60 miles to go to one. Like I don't have enough "crafty" stuff here to make things for the next year and a half and I go to Michael's to buy more. Why don't I just stay home and do it? Good to know I'm not in this boat alone. It must be part of the sickness. lol

My Blog
Old 09-03-2006, 04:27 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Can you post the recipes? I clean because if the house is a mess or the laundry doesn't get done, I'm sitting there the whole time thining I have to hurry and go get something done and then when my husband is going in my sock drawer or my son's to get clean socks, I feel bad LOL When the house is straight my mind just feels less cluttered, don't know why...
Old 09-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
When the house is straight my mind just feels less cluttered, don't know why...
I'm exactly the same way. Maybe that's why lots of people go to coffee places with their laptops. If the mess isn't accessible, there's not much they can do about it there. I have been known to take my bills or a month's worth of event planning material--even some stuff that needed to get finished for a swap that had to go out--to the nearest coffee house--especially when I've been procrastinating. Can't switch the laundry load, or start supper, or <gasp> check SCS that way. (But one of these days I'll get a laptop--then watch out!)

Such strange creatures we are!
Old 09-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies:
2/3 cup margerine or butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cup flour

Cream sugar, margerine, eggs, and vanilla together. Add mashed bananas. Beat. Add dry ingredients, mix and add 1 cup chocolate cips. Drop by spoonful and bake @ 350 degrees until golden (about 12 minutes).
Old 09-03-2006, 05:33 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Pasta dough:
2 1/4 cups semolina flour
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Knead to make a firm dough. Wrap in plastiv and keep in fridge for 1/2 hour before rolling and cutting.

Ravioli filling:
You can do any sort of filling that you want, but the one that I use is as follows:
Crumble and fry mild or sweet italian sausage (I take them out of the casings) until cooked through. Let cool. 1/2 cup or so of ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Add whatever herbs you have handy. I usually use chives, basil and parsley from my garden. Mix in one egg.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #17  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I just printed the recipes! I work the Election Polls and we have a 14 hour day on Tuesday! I know what I'm bringing to eat!!! Oh-on the down time on Tuesday, I will stamp my CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!! You read right! Some poll workers read books, some play cards, some knit, some play video games and one actually watches videos...I STAMP!!! NO GUILT!!!

Oh-I clean when I'm mad... Ask my husband...Every time he leaves for only "a couple of days" in Cuba and that turns into months, he comes home to a very clean tool shed, porch, driveway, and house. He never has any of his collected junk!!! Last time I cleaned off the porch when he was in town, the neighbors all came over and asked, (all 8 of them!), when Mark was expected back from CUBA!!! He was just at work!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies:
2/3 cup margerine or butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed bananas
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 cup flour

Cream sugar, margerine, eggs, and vanilla together. Add mashed bananas. Beat. Add dry ingredients, mix and add 1 cup chocolate cips. Drop by spoonful and bake @ 350 degrees until golden (about 12 minutes).
My husband and children thank you
Old 09-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

No stamping here today either!! I went to the farmer's market the next town over, then I came home to the kitchen and the "pantry" shelves-which is just a 4 level metal/wire shelving thing, I started one thing, then another, then another, then went back to the first one, then the third, then the first, then the second. It's now 915p and I'm still not completely done with any one thing, but some of the old food is tossed, dinner was grilled and eaten, the boxes are on one shelf, the cans on another, all my canisters are cleaned inside and out, and all the popcorn is in one container....next to finish ironing the freshly washed curtains cause they come out of the dryer a wreck,,,,then I can pop some popcorn, eat a gluten free brownie that I baked last night for the sometimes not so D,(especially today) dh....oh, maybe I'll get to stamp tomorrow!!! LOL
Old 09-03-2006, 06:54 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Markie's Mom -

I hear ya about cleaning when mad! What usually takes 4 hours to do I'll have done in 2! My DH can really tell when I'm PO'd about something!! I can't say I'm with you all on not getting any stampin' done today though! I'm doing a craft show on the 23rd and am waaaaay behind on getting things made! So far today I've done 10 cards, 2 tins, 3 mini comp books, 11 explosion albums, several dominoes (lost count), a tag pouch, and managed NOT to harm my children (they've been really trying today!) I hope you all get to stamp tomorrow!!
Old 09-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #21  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Okay, I'm going to be the dissenter here and tell you that all I've done this weekend is stamp and scrapbook!

I was supposed to go to my parents' camp for the weekend with my 3 girls and husband. Well, the littlest got sick so I stayed home and my sweet husband took the older two. Since I had all my housework done (I had been planning on being away for the weekend), I just played with and rocked my little Alaina (she's 14 months). Then, when she took her naps and when she was down for the night, I played!

When everyone returns tomorrow, I will be refreshed and excited to see them! What a great weekend!

Nicole
Old 09-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
My husband and children thank you
They are most welcome!
The cookies are kind of a mix between a banana cake and a cookie. Great with milk. I freeze them right away so that I don't eat them all at once... but I discovered that I like them even better when they are frozen!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

I had to chuckle as I read the messages in this thread. I'm also a great procrastinator when it comes to doing anything creative on the weekends. My boyfriend is in Seattle until the 10th so I'm at home all alone and what did I do? I worked on my paper that is due tomorrow evening. I did take some time to work on a Halloween card for my nephew and cut out my ATC cards for a swap I'm in. Now I'm relaxing by watching more TV and thinking about how I can best cover my composition books for another swap I'm in. Maybe after a swim later I'll get more creative energy and get the composition books done!
Old 09-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

All this time I thought it was just me...so glad to know I'm not alone! I love to stamp and I want to create so bad but for some reason I have to do everything else before I'll even think about setting foot in my craft room. And by the time I'm all done with laundry, cleaning, organizing, cooking, checking email, watching the news or whatever else is on tv, etc... then there is no time left in the day! So then I think to myself, I'll stamp tomorrow since I did everything today, then tomorrow comes around and there is a whole new list of "must do" items before I can stamp. Its a vicious cycle!!!! I figure it must be an illness!! Anybody have some good meds to take care of this???

Maybe we need a support group! You know an its ok to leave the laundry in the basket for a couple of hours, those floors can be swept tomorrow, theres no need to do the dishes right now, feels like a peanut butter and jelly dinner night, kind of support group! Then maybe we could all get in some much needed crafting time!

Well, I'm off to go stamp.... getting sidetracked by my "must dos" along the way!! Maybe I'll stop in the kitchen and make some banana chocolate chip cookies.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:07 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I have company so I have an excuse. It really is handy to have an excuse when I know even if they weren't here I wouldn't be stamping. If you are having a hard time getting into the swing, just pick a challenge and do it.
Pinterest
Old 09-04-2006, 06:53 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I really wanted to stamp this weekend, especially after I got the cards from a swap I was in. But the mounds of tomatoes and jalapenos my DH harvested were haunting me, so I had to can. The house still smells like salsa! This is my first attempt at canning and I'm happy to say all the jars sealed. Now I just have to wait to see how it tastes! Maybe I can give away the rest of the harvest so I can play today...........
Melisa
Old 09-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do this alllll the time. Personally with all the money I have spent on stampin' supplies I would hope to stamp a little at least once a day. I am lucky if I get a stampin urge once a week....sigh.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:26 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

don't get me wrong. I LOVE STAMPIN' and THINK about it all the time. I always have ideas and plans rolling around in my head but getting the time without any feelings of guilt doesn't come around enough
Old 09-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Sometimes, I think my hobby isn't really stamping, but BUYING all the stuff to stamp with, on.....sigh
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceRAK
I do this alllll the time. Personally with all the money I have spent on stampin' supplies I would hope to stamp a little at least once a day. I am lucky if I get a stampin urge once a week....sigh.

Living the good life.

Old 09-04-2006, 03:12 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Hey guys tell those voices to go away you have some stampin to do!!!
Don't let your creative juices get sucked from everyday work make time for you and what you love!
Old 09-04-2006, 04:26 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Whew, I am not alone!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfain
Sometimes, I think my hobby isn't really stamping, but BUYING all the stuff to stamp with, on.....sigh
LOVE THIS!!!! I am so with you all on the not stamping - my thing is I get on SCS to "see what is going on" and then I never get around to the stamping!! The worst part is the Minneapolis Regionals are Saturday and I have NONE of my swaps even started! Yikes, it is going to be a long week!!

Old 09-04-2006, 04:38 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, I am just like the rest of you - great at buying and collecting supplies and I have lots of ideas, but really getting down to actually stamping..????
Unless I have a class to design projects for .. with a specific date, I don't do any stamping or scrapbooking, even though I want to.......or so I claim.
There must be some psychological explanation and there is probably a name for it....let's see -
"creative creating avoidance syndrome"..........
"misplaced priority assessment"...........
And how do we overcome it????
A little willpower might help ...........and I suppose getting off the computer and just going in to my stamp room and sitting down and stamping might do it!!!!
Well........just as soon as "The Closer" is over.
Maybe we should set up an accountability group. Isn't that what it is called???
Oh .....and I do want to try making those banana chocolate chip cookies tomorrow - they sound so delicious. I have some really ripe bananas that absolutely must be used TOMORROW!!!!!
Amie

My Blog - ameliarose-artfulpassions
My SU! website
Old 09-05-2006, 05:27 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

I am SO glad I'm not the only one...I can find a million and one reasons NOT to stamp, even though I spend WAY too much time on SCS and I lay awake at night creating cards in my mind!!! I gotta get over this!
Old 09-05-2006, 06:08 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

I used to be bothered by this, and sometimes I still am. But I just figure I stamp better under pressure. I want to go to bed by 11? I start a project at 10:30. I have a whole day off work? I do everything BUT craft projects - even though I plan and plot all day at work what I'm going to make when I get home.

Hey - at least you did something productive instead of stamping. More often than not, I've found I wasted a perfectly good day off work by sitting on my butt, searching for something good on tv! (Because once I find that perfect show, I'll be able to have it on while I stamp, don't'cha know!)

Nope. Definitely not alone.

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Old 09-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Yesterday I had all day to just play with my stuff plus I bought new paper with white cores and I was so excited to rip it & sand it (never had white core paper before). So what did I do? Spent the day putting all my paper back into its rainbow order. My friend had spent many days here while I helped her with a project and I let her pick paper out so it was out of order. Why would this bug me? My paper has to be in rainbow order just like the DVDs and XBox games have to be in abc order. And yet I could not care less about the floor being clean. Odd, isn't?
Old 09-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Default So happy it's not just me!!!

I was having this very conversation with my friend the other night. I find everything else to do except stamp on the weekends. I clean, do laundry, run errands, etc. - but don't step foot into my stamp room. I look at all the projects around my house that are calling my name and then feel guilty if I want to go stamp for a few hours.

My biggest problem on the weekend is NOT having a schedule. During the week I have to be so disciplined with my time (getting to the train station on time to get to work, etc.) that I find I too have the big "L" written on my forehead as soon as Saturday morning rolls around. Ugh, I get so mad at myself sometimes for 'wasting' time.

LOL - yes, if someone starts a support group, I will certainly sign up!! Please help me get back to my stamps - they are lonely.

Anne
Old 09-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Man....I have a ton of tmie to stamp...what do I do? Get on SCS. Go to Michael's and buy more stuff that I won't use. I don't, however, clean....I'm so horrible about vaccuming and things.
Faerey Blog
Old 09-05-2006, 07:09 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I am an "avoider" too but I only avoid cleaning...I can walk in the door from work at 5:45, drop my purse, keys and shoes, walk right past all of the mess and right into my stamping room, sit down and stamp away and then rush at the last minute to find something to cook for dinner. Heck, i'll even push aside (literally) all the scraps of paper and mess on my stamping table just to stamp a card or two.
Now, all of my stamping friends can't do any stamping until their houses are clean and everything else is done but this has never really been a problem for me. They all actually have way more stamping supplies than I do but when they want a card it isnt out of the ordinary for them to call me to make them one because they are too busy "cleaning" or "running errands" eeew!

P.S.
I do only have a teenager so I don't really have any cleaning to do since she doesn't make a mess like little ones do, or so my friends of toddlers tell me...phew!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 09-05-2006, 07:10 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I do the same as well - got to use that Michael's or Joann's coupon before it expires!!! Sometimes I will spend the extra time straightening up my sewing/stamping room since it is usually in chaos...then I come across some idea or thing I wanted to finish and then that is what I immediately want to work on. But the avoidance thing is something I struggle with a lot!!! I dream of time to work on my projects, and then when I have it...I get on SCS...to find more ideas!!!

My Gallery
Old 09-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Pasta dough:
2 1/4 cups semolina flour
1/3 cup water
2 eggs
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Knead to make a firm dough. Wrap in plastiv and keep in fridge for 1/2 hour before rolling and cutting.

Ravioli filling:
You can do any sort of filling that you want, but the one that I use is as follows:
Crumble and fry mild or sweet italian sausage (I take them out of the casings) until cooked through. Let cool. 1/2 cup or so of ricotta cheese and 1/2 cup cottage cheese. Add whatever herbs you have handy. I usually use chives, basil and parsley from my garden. Mix in one egg.
My Italian grandma (passed) and now my mom make a ravioli filling that's made with cooked spinached and very fine ground meat. Oh my gosh. It's sooo good. When we were little my grandma used to let my sister and I eat the filling alone or topped with some sauce as she assembled the ravioli. The thought alone brings back good memories. Anyway, should the recipe sound interesting to someone, let me know and I'll get it from my mom and pass it along.