Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Crayon Resist..Anyone have this problem? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/crayon-resist-anyone-have-problem-12353/)

dylbrett 10-12-2004 06:44 PM

Crayon Resist..Anyone have this problem?

I did a crayon resist card at a workshop this past Sunday & it turned out great! Everyone loved it. When I got home, I decided to do the same layout with a different stamp set. It didn't work. :( The crayon held the ink instead of resisting it. Anyone else have this happen or have any ideas why? It was the same cardstock & crayon, just a different stamp set. Guess I am just glad it didn't happen at the workshop!

TIA

Sheryl

Jami 10-12-2004 06:54 PM

Wow - that's weird. Was there any difference in the ink used? Hmm...weird. :?

dylbrett 10-12-2004 07:01 PM

I used Real Red & Forest Foliage.

I thought it was weird too. I even tried it a second time & the same thing happened.

Sheryl

daphne532 10-12-2004 07:37 PM

Hmmm...are you using tissue to wipe off the crayon? I found that when I just tried to scrape off the crayon off it didn't work as well as wiping it off with tissue or paper towel....? Just a thought, maybe I'm the only one that tried to shortcut the directions... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Technique_Freak 10-12-2004 07:40 PM

One of my customers had trouble with this. I think we determined that she was using craft ink instead of the classic dye ink??? Hope this helps.

emilymomto3boys 10-12-2004 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne532
Hmmm...are you using tissue to wipe off the crayon? I found that when I just tried to scrape off the crayon off it didn't work as well as wiping it off with tissue or paper towel....? Just a thought, maybe I'm the only one that tried to shortcut the directions... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wipe the crayon off?? I have ever done that..........

Technique_Freak 10-12-2004 08:03 PM

If you're dabbing on the color - you need to wipe it off with a tissue. I always rub the color on with a sponge. This automatically does what the tissue would do.

MrsDiffey 10-12-2004 09:05 PM

Crayon resist

I tought you were SUPPOSED to wipe the crayon off! That's what I do and it always works. Same concept as the rubber cement, it has to be removed to see the resist. Also, I use glossy white cardstock.

HTH.

MrsDiffey

daphne532 10-13-2004 05:49 AM

I always remove the crayon otherwise it shows on the image lines that there's a layer of white over it.... If I use tissue to do that with the crayon AND the ink that was on it are both removed and leave a nice clean white area. I've been using US White paper to do this on.

Kerry D-C 10-13-2004 06:09 AM

I guess everyone does these "techniques" a little differently!
After sponging the ink on I wipe over the crayon with a tissue. Not to eliminate the actual crayon, but just to wipe off the excess ink that is sitting on top of where I used the crayon.

dylbrett 10-13-2004 08:51 AM

I was using the sponge daubers to do this & it always worked before. I never remove the crayon either & it works fine.

Guess I'll just try again.

Thanks for the suggestions. :D

Sheryl

kimorr 10-13-2004 08:55 AM

I dab the ink on with a sponge then rub with a used dryer sheet. Picks up that crayon fast!

HeatherJ 10-13-2004 09:09 AM

Mu biggest issue was when I was being cheap and bought dollar store crayons! I could never get much of a resist as the coverage wasn't as complete. Now that I have a good ol' Crayola, all is well.

I dab the ink off the crayon but never tried to get it all off. Hmm will see how easy that is next time.

Heather

wozi14 10-13-2004 09:59 AM

The only time I have had the same problem is when there is like a film or a smooth surface on the crayon causing the crayon wax or whatever it is not to totally transfer onto the paper and then there is no resist...it's usually because it's a cheap crayon...It hasn't happened to me since I started using only crayola crayons.

Hope this helps.
Teresa

Moorestampin 10-13-2004 10:26 AM

crayon resist

I had a terrible time with this technique, cheap crayon I guess. I was also told I had to use the glossy paper! True?

qcbetty 10-13-2004 10:39 AM

It works better (easier) on glossy...I've heard you can use regular white but I found it looked kinda ugly afterwards! JMO though.

wozi14 10-13-2004 10:47 AM

I agree with qcbetty...I have best results with glossy too... so much prettier, at times very elegant looking.

Misty 10-13-2004 10:52 AM

too weird

Quote:

Originally Posted by dylbrett
I used Real Red & Forest Foliage.

I thought it was weird too. I even tried it a second time & the same thing happened.

Sheryl

I took a class where we did this too and it was a great card. I was playing around with some Christmas cards and did it USING THE SAME 2 colors and mine did it too, soaked the ink in.