Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Craig's List Question (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/craigs-list-question-536449/)

larue 08-26-2011 09:22 AM

Craig's List Question

I have about 12 years worth of stamps--in the thousands. Someone in my area is buying stamps and I would like to sell about 90% of what I have. Many of them, both mounted and unmounted, are brand new.
What tips do you have for pricing and to keep the transaction safe?
Thank you for your help.

kmgosha 08-26-2011 10:14 AM

Maybe sell them by a lot - several in a package. You might get 50 percent of original price or less - sad but true but then you have moved them out. Post pictures on CL and work out of your garage - I would not let strangers in my house. Don't have a garage - try to work a deal with a senior center and see if they will let you set up a couple of tables in their lobby or activity room - paying a small fee for a place is worth it. Have a friend or DH or children help you. If someone is buying a set of something - say 10 sets of stamps - meet them at the Post Office or in front of a store of your choice. Have a garage-sale - and say 50 percent off or 60 percent off - whatever you decide. What's left donate - women's shelter, Ronald McDonald House, church, Senior Center and take a tax write-off for a donation. I've done pretty much all of the above.

KalaKitty 08-26-2011 10:23 AM

Kit,
Hi neighbor, I noticed you're in Tualatin. I thought you might want to checkout my meetup group (see siggy).

kmgosha 08-26-2011 10:36 AM

Hey, Liz, you are just around the corner - how exciting is that? Congrats on your Meetup Group - looks like fun - so have tons of fun.

craftsrlb 08-26-2011 01:29 PM

it depends on how much work you want to do. I research what the sets are selling for on ebay then price them about $4 less...otherwise i will sell them on ebay ($12.00 sets or more) if they are really old sets (out of style) then i would sell them for like $3-5 depends on how fast you want to get rid of them. I advertise for a craft sale in the paper , craigslist etc. and say you have tons of sets..and make sure you have other peopel around. I would put pics on there so they know what they are getting, and meet in a public place. I have bought and sold lots on craigslist and have people come to my house and I to theirs, but usually take someone else with me.

Asingh 08-27-2011 01:44 PM

I don't like to have people come to my house. Have you tried the BST forum here? I'm sure you'd find a receptive audience...

Pamstamps2 08-27-2011 02:12 PM

I sold some on CL. I met everyone at a local store or coffee shop. I live by myself so strangers coming to the house wasn't something I really wanted. I got about 50% of the original price. I only took cash or money orders.

weims 08-27-2011 03:00 PM

I've sold a few things on CL and not had any problems. Of course, answering the door with an 80 pound dog doesn't hurt. Neither does having a large husband. :)

If you're worried, though, have them meet you somewhere.