Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:46 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to sr2107
Default Crafting hours?

Hey All
How much time would you say you spend crafting a day/week? Also when you craft, especially when it comes to making cards, do you just make 1 card at a time or do you work on multiple cards at a time? Or maybe finish up 1 projevt first before heading to the next?

I have been short on crafting time this past week and of course that is when you see so much good stuff to you want to (re)create and make your own :(
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not as much time as I'd like to ;);). I usually make one card at a time, but sometimes I'll duplicate a design and whip up two. I'm often stamping in between teaching my kids and doing stuff around the house. Sometimes I sneak in extra time by stamping images and bringing them with me places to color. I usually look at the challenges first thing in the morning and then the ideas can simmer while I'm carrying out responsibilities first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I craft nearly every day, because my crafting area is in a dedicated space. I think that is the secret for me being creative on a regular basis. I usually have a ton of things on the go :-) and once I sit down, I look up and three hours have passed. It's the greatest hobby in that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am disabled so home all the time. I take care of my business in the morning then make cards for the rest of the afternoon and evening til bedtime. I always make multiples of the cards I make. Love the time I get to spend in my stamp room.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2015, 11:33 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am like Amber about getting everything done for the day then I am in my room. I spend about 10-20 hours a week, that is a low estimate. I make one card at a time before going to the next.

There has been a time in my life where I didn't get much time to work on my crafting. I barely could get one card done in two weeks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 01:47 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with lylacfey- it varies a lot. Sometimes I craft every day, sometimes only a couple of times a week. At the moment, I have to say that yesterday was the first crafting I've done since November. I had to have tablet chemo & radiotherapy in November, and I was fine all the way through. The week after it finished, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus! No energy/stamina, sitting for too long made my butt feel like I'd been sitting on rocks, I was spending all my time lying down/napping, and my mojo went off on a round the world tour I think! Trying to do something every day again now, while I have some get up and go, as I'm having more chemo in a couple of weeks, so guessing it will be back to square one! So out comes the tablet, good old You Tube craft videos, .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 04:34 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I agree with lylacfey- it varies a lot. Sometimes I craft every day, sometimes only a couple of times a week. At the moment, I have to say that yesterday was the first crafting I've done since November. I had to have tablet chemo & radiotherapy in November, and I was fine all the way through. The week after it finished, I felt like I'd been hit by a bus! No energy/stamina, sitting for too long made my butt feel like I'd been sitting on rocks, I was spending all my time lying down/napping, and my mojo went off on a round the world tour I think! Trying to do something every day again now, while I have some get up and go, as I'm having more chemo in a couple of weeks, so guessing it will be back to square one! So out comes the tablet, good old You Tube craft videos, .
Oh No....so sad to hear what you are going through! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 05:52 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Tuesday I scrapped for about 3 hours, but had not done it since the beginning of December. Between work, family, etc. I don't craft as much as I would like to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 06:22 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'm with Gail - not as many hours as I'd like!! In theory I can usually craft during my gallery mod shifts, but that doesn't always pan out. I used to like to make a card a day, now I think I'm doing well if I can find time for 4 in the week.
Usually just one card at a time - though if I am trying to decide whether something works on a card before finishing it off, I might leave it to look at with fresh eyes the next day, and move on. I love the events like HYCCT and DTGD when I feel enabled to devote more time to stamping and less to other things. And the March VSN will be coming up in a while - the Mini is next Saturday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I rather envy you dedicated people who are regular crafters. I love to make cards, but am more of a 'feast or famine' kind of girl!

Right now I have a project on the go so am in my craft room nearly every evening. Then I will go through a dry spell craft wise, say in the spring when I am outside more and gardening. Not much those days. Then I have all summer off and sometimes challenge myself to follow a couple challenges to push me to create. Then I may not do anything for another couple months until it's time to make Christmas cards!

I hope there are other feast or famine crafters out there
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 02:14 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

shazsilverwolf, I have taken chemo for a chronic illness and understand what you mean — I wish you well, sending positive energy across the ocean, and hope the crafting videos are as healing for you as they are for me. I think they are a great way keep creative until you can actually be creative with your hands.

cardmaker2, I have gone through periods in my life where I just didn't feel like crafting, but like you, I did other creative things: writing, podcasting, cooking and baking. But my crafting mojo changed when I got my Big Shot and started treating myself to new toys on a regular basis. Sometimes, you just need the right tools to get the effect you're looking for. It's much more rewarding. At least, that's how I justify what I spend each month :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 03:52 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I craft about 5 days a week. I have a dedicated space in our family room. I craft during the day while my husband is at work and three daughters are at school so that it doesn't take time away from them. I also have a basic routine I follow for housework and chores so that what needs to get done, does get done. I am very much a work first, play later gal so having a routine gives me time to play almost every day.

When I make cards, I make two of the same design, since I have the supplies out. I also use sketches, color combo charts, or outright CASEing alot to jumpstart the creative process. It is efficient but still lets me be creative and have fun.

I do better when I have a purpose to what I am making, so just about everything I make, I already know where it is going (i.e. a specific person, card box I keep at church for people to take, scrapbooks, to sell, etc.)

By far, though, the biggest way I get time to craft every day is from having my housekeeping routine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 04:22 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I've always only made one or two cards a month, and I've been doing this nine years. I've always been totally ok with that. I make more of course for holidays.

Lately I think I should go in and create, but I don't want to, and then I feel guilty. Just today I thought, "What is that all about". Why am I putting guilt into the equation? Weird???

I also only create when I NEED a card! Birthday, sympathy, thank you, etc. I don't make cards ahead. Well, rarely.

I create on the weekends. I'm not a night person, and I'm too tired after work.

I mainly create one card and and finish, except the holidays. Then it's assembly line style of one design.

I make one card, not duplicates other than holidays.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 01-31-2015 at 04:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Not nearly enough. At this point in life I'm lucky enough to make a card or so a week. Sometimes it works out better and I can make a stack!

I'm pretty sure I shut my blog down til further notice! Perhaps forever!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Shaz- Sending you well wishes & hugs. I am here for you. If I know anybody who can kick chemo in the butt it's you. Stay strong!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 12:23 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On my new schedule, 4 hours a day during my workweek. I still work 40 hours a week, BUT this schedule just suits my sleep and energy levels SO MUCH BETTER. On my days off, up to 10 hours a day, if I haven't got any other plans. It does take me about 4 hours to make ONE card, so though it seems like a lot, it really isn't. Most of the time, I work on one card at a time. But I usually have two or three half-started card things laying about - cards I started but never finished, or haven't finished yet.

Also, on purpose I've made a life for myself where a minimum amount of time is spent on maintenance - I have no kids, pets, or plants. My living area is very bare (less cleaning) and commute time is 12 minutes one-way (more time for card-making!). Also I am anti-social so I don't go out much (more time for card-making!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 02:40 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shazsilverwolf,
So sorry to hear you are going thought this difficult time. I see your helpful posts often.
I wish you a speedy recovery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 07:12 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi bdeyes9, lylacfey,poppydarling and sr2107, thank you! I'm counting myself very lucky, to be honest. My cancer, Rectal, is one of the commonest and easiest to cure. Its just mine had grown quite large in what seems to be a fairly short amount of time, and they want to shrink it before removal. The radiotherapy shrunk it a little, just not as much as my surgeon wants. It also hasn't spread from its original site to liver/lungs, which is what can happen. So, although I have to have some more chemo to shrink it down, like I say, I'm considering myself lucky here. Especially as it means I don't lose my hair to it!
p.s sorry to sr2107 for hijacking your thread

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 02-01-2015 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 10:08 AM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Hi bdeyes9, lylacfey,poppydarling and sr2107, thank you! I'm counting myself very lucky, to be honest. My cancer, Rectal, is one of the commonest and easiest to cure. Its just mine had grown quite large in what seems to be a fairly short amount of time, and they want to shrink it before removal. The radiotherapy shrunk it a little, just not as much as my surgeon wants. It also hasn't spread from its original site to liver/lungs, which is what can happen. So, although I have to have some more chemo to shrink it down, like I say, I'm considering myself lucky here. Especially as it means I don't lose my hair to it!
p.s sorry to sr2107 for hijacking your thread

No problem Shaz!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2015, 09:41 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm retired so I can- and do- spend several hours a day making cards or doing other crafts. I have a craft room instead of a dinning room so I can leave everything out and come back to it whenever I want to. I only watch about 5 hours of TV a week so I can craft during the day or night. I have several types of arthritis and mornings are difficult for me with my stiffness so I read in the morning, craft in the afternoon and evening and end the night with some cross stitching and more reading.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

During the week, except on Wednesday nights which is date night, I craft normally for 2 hours each night. On Saturday and Sunday usually about 4 hours each day. More if I can.

But since we don't have kids, my "me" time is more flexible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 05:14 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have a lot more time to craft. But with a new job and new house, I'm finding the "extra" time I had before is spent on other things now. I'm lucky if I can make 1 card a week, crafting for maybe 1-2 hours any given week.

Hoping to settle into a groove so I can craft more soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

So sorry you're going through this! Here is a cyber {hug}.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

I am a weekend warrior.. I usually do my challenges on Sat & Sun. I work nights and it depends if I am tired in the mornings, if I have energy, I might do a card during the week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2015, 03:57 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am fortunate that I have a dedicated room for my stamping. I am retired so I can stamp almost everyday. I got in a slump this last year and maybe even a little longer where I just did not want to stamp. I'm over that and back in the swing of things. I stamp almost everyday. I like to join in the challenges here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I do the majority of my stamping on the weekends. Sometimes I stamp in the evenings if DH is out of town. I usually always have some project sitting on my table so if I have a few minutes here and there during the week, I'll do a little something.

I always make multiples of a card since I mostly stamp for swaps I'm in. I make a "template" card to figure out colors, bling, layout, etc. and then when I'm happy with it, I make however many I need for the swap plus a few extra to keep in a stash box that my sister and mom go through when they come over.

I'm not the type to make just one card....never have gotten the hang of that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #27  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

I was fortunate enough to be able to take early retirement. (thank you DH - who is still working) I have a craft room that is mine, all mine I am in there pretty much every day. I run a Card Ministry at our Church, and teach a regular class, and send out a ton of cards to friends and family. I use all that I create which makes me feel wonderful. I also scrap and have two blogs. Yeah, I pretty much live in this room :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Between going to work and taking care of the house, not more than 1 card a week; and if I decide to use that time for some sewing/quilting project then not even that 1 card. So roughly 3 cards a month - I would say.

It's extremely rare that I make duplicates of a card. Doing the first card is exciting but making a copy of it becomes a task for me. I know that the only reason I'm making a copy is so that I'll have more on hand and that takes away the fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 02:08 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I usually make two cards at a time, one to send and one to keep as a sample. Although sometimes I send out my sample, too. I try to take pictures of all my cards before I mail them and include the addressed envelope in the photo so I know who I sent which card. I keep these photos in Evernote in a folder. I just loooove Evernote! My memory isn't what it used to be so this really helps me keep track. I had a friend tell me they loved my card and could I make another one for her to purchase. I was so embarrassed to have to ask her to see the card so I could know what I sent. Lol! That's why I now use Evernote! ☺️
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by smritiView Post
Between going to work and taking care of the house, not more than 1 card a week; and if I decide to use that time for some sewing/quilting project then not even that 1 card. So roughly 3 cards a month - I would say.

It's extremely rare that I make duplicates of a card. Doing the first card is exciting but making a copy of it becomes a task for me. I know that the only reason I'm making a copy is so that I'll have more on hand and that takes away the fun.
Me too gotta keep it fresh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 930 Likes on 851 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I'm retired so I can- and do- spend several hours a day making cards or doing other crafts. I have a craft room instead of a dinning room so I can leave everything out and come back to it whenever I want to. I only watch about 5 hours of TV a week so I can craft during the day or night. I have several types of arthritis and mornings are difficult for me with my stiffness so I read in the morning, craft in the afternoon and evening and end the night with some cross stitching and more reading.
I too am retired but still wish I spent more time in my craft room. I am in there everyday but boy it would be great if at some point I could spend the entire day in there morning to night. Unfortunately my husband wants a real meal every now and then. (the nerve of him!!! LOL) When doing my cards I tend to totally finish making 1 and then cut, stamp, fold and gather adornments for an additional 5 cards just like the one I just finished and place all pieces into clear bags to be completed at another time. I have a summer home (beach house) with absolutely no space (entire place is only about 950 square feet) So when I go there I bring only my carry tote with adhesives, dimensionals, some markers and colored pencils. I then have a choice of bags to open that contain everything I need for that card. Well it works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 08:21 AM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

I wish I could do more crafting but I work full time and have a long commute. So I guess I'm a Weekend Warrior.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #33  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
Unfortunately my husband wants a real meal every now and then. (the nerve of him!!! LOL)
I have this same problem!!! Why can't they see cheese and crackers as a meal???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2015, 02:19 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

I'm retired on disability so I'm home most of the time and generally do what I feel like. If I feel good and have my MOJO going I may stamp all day and make 5 or 6 cards and some days if I don't feel well I may spend the day in my recliner napping. If I'm in the middle of a good book I may just keep reading. I don't have kids, pets or husband so my time is my own and I don't have a set routine.

Shaz, I'm sorry for what you're going through and love your positive attitude. Even if the prospects are great I know it isn't fun. I'll be thinking of you.
Reply With Quote Likes