Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Even the onllne stores have changed a bunch, which must have happened because of the Pandemic. Simon Says Stamp carries the products of many used-to-be stores , like PaperTrayInk, unlike the past when they carried only their own stuff, but way too much is impossible to see no matter how I set the Display on my computer. Grumble! Grumble! Amazon now has tons of stuff we use, but be careful because dies from China are smaller than they appear in the ad, and some of the prices are way higher than buying from real craft stores.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I was recently in a Michaels store. I was not finding anything I was looking for, and the manager stopped and asked me if he could help me find something. At that moment I was looking for the dies, so I told them I couldn't find the die section. He said, oh we don't carry dies anymore. I was caught off guard and asked why not? He said crafting is going in a different direction. I didn't think for one second before blurting out, no it isn't! The manager didn't seem to like my reaction, and said they hadn't carried dies in over a year. I composed myself and said thank you. I shopped for 20 minutes more and then I left the store after spending $6.

I think that was the smallest purchase I have ever made at Michaels. It really got me to thinking. Why am I finding nothing I want to purchase in Michaels? Is crafting really going in a different direction, or is Michaels going in a different direction? This particular Michaels is in a busy strip mall, but two stores were newly closed in this mall. I couldn't help but wonder if Michaels will be the next store to close the doors in this area.

Lately it seems that every email I receive from Michaels is kids crafts. I get that it is summer and lots of people are looking to keep kids busy, but I also see they are hoping to be your go to place for school supplies. Is Michaels turning into a kids store? Are they going to stop selling crafting supplies for adults? I see they are really enhancing their Cricut supplies. That seems to have been happening for quite some time, yet I never see anyone in the Cricut aisle???

I keep wondering if I am completely out of touch with crafting? Is it going in a different direction, and if so, what direction is that? I still look to buy dies, especially interactive, and layering dies. Am I the only one doing this? What do you think?
I haven’t been to Michaels in over a year… can’t find anything to buy. I enjoy cardmaking and other 3D crafts but they have nothing to offer. I do own a cricut and use it often, but I find Joanns has a larger selection and frequently on sale for 30-40% off, Michaels offer nothing. As for stamps and dies, I have been buying direct from the company. They are free shipping on some purchases, and plenty of specials
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
MelanHelen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:27 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crafting going in a new direction???

I recently went to Michael’s. I was looking for something in particular. Don’t remember now what it was but they didn’t have it and the shelves were bare. I asked a clerk about the lack of merchandise. Get this she said they have merchandise in the stock room but couldn’t bring it out. I questioned how you could do business like that. She just laughed and I left empty handed. Then I received an email asking me to review my visit. I told them exactly what had happened. Never heard a word from them. I don’t even bother to go in there anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Oddly, when I go to my local Michaels (Colma, CA)., I've seen more Recollections stuff - embossing folders, Stamp/Die sets. etc. It's interesting - either we're a "let's see if this sells" store or maybe we're getting everyone else's backstock? But I've never seen such items before. Prices are pretty reasonable. I have also seen more Distress Inks, and Tim Holtz stuff, as someone mentioned above. Maybe for the "younger set" who may be into more multimedia and 3D art like "Junk Journals" and such for which Distress Inks work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It seems many of us see the same things at JoAnns, Michaels, Hobby Lobby etc. Hobby Lobby has only been in my area for abt 5 years and I don't shop there too often. I pretty much don't go to craft stores any more and just buy minimal items for card making. Both Michaels and JoAnns has definitely turned to the sale of Cricut products/vinyl. It is very popular now. Once the craft stores stopped selling dies in their stores and also made it impossible to use their coupons on a lot of items I did stop going there. Inventory seemed to not change enough either. Embossing folders are non-existent at Michael's, JoAnn's may still have them but inventory is unchanged. Don't remember buying stamps much. After a vey long rest from using stamps I started reintroducing myself to using them through Stampin' Up. Their products are high quality and most (except for dies) are not much different from products in stores for regular prices. Crafting as a general term has changed. At least they still have papers, glues, tapes, envelopes, 3D foam adhesives, embellishments (have too many really) which I use coupons to buy all the time. I do hope supplies for card making won't completely disappear from the craft stores. If they do I will be lost!!! Or it may force me to use more of the products I have that don't get a lot of use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by graceforever12View Post
No you're not. I've found the same thing at Michaels. I went there to get cutting plates for my Big Shot and they said they don't carry them anymore. For years I always got them there. Also, all types of craft stuff I was used to getting there has been discontinued, like certain ink pads, dies, etc. I am really disappointed in Michaels and hope they have a change of heart. Also, they advertise that you can order on line and pick up at store. I assumed it was like Walmart, where you order on line and pick up at store with no shipping fees. No! You have to pay something like $6.99 shipping and pick it up at store Well what good is that. You might as well have it delivered to your home if you have to pay a shipping fee!
As long as the items you want are in stock at your Michaels you can order for FREE pick up. I have done this 3 times since Michaels started to offer this service.

Now if the items you want are not in stock they will ship to you, this is were the shipping cost occurs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
"I just keep trying to support my LSS...she has some online stuff and I have been doing since Covid. Her prices can be higher with NYC rent and add shipping but she also gets some cool stuff big guys don't get."
Can you tell me more about LSS? Who, what, etc?
LSS-Local Scrap Store
Or
LSS Local Stamp Store
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by lesliespringer:
MelanHelen (08-03-2021), mmhanson (08-22-2021), Teachybaby (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 11:34 AM   #48  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Support local

I’m ok with the big box stores moving away from paper crafting. I prefer to support a local business if possible. I’m lucky that I have a great store 1/2 hour from me (Papercraft Clubhouse) with a great selection of dies from lots of companies. They have an on-line store too and great customer service with someone who can answer your questions if you live far away. They offer reasonable or free shipping based on your order. They do a weekly live segment on Facebook every Thursday that’s pretty entertaining actually. I know not everyone has a local specialty store near them but it might be worth it to develop a relationship with a store in your region or one you find on-line 🙂
Quote:

I was recently in a Michaels store. I was not finding anything I was looking for, and the manager stopped and asked me if he could help me find something. At that moment I was looking for the dies, so I told them I couldn't find the die section. He said, oh we don't carry dies anymore. I was caught off guard and asked why not? He said crafting is going in a different direction. I didn't think for one second before blurting out, no it isn't! The manager didn't seem to like my reaction, and said they hadn't carried dies in over a year. I composed myself and said thank you. I shopped for 20 minutes more and then I left the store after spending $6.

I think that was the smallest purchase I have ever made at Michaels. It really got me to thinking. Why am I finding nothing I want to purchase in Michaels? Is crafting really going in a different direction, or is Michaels going in a different direction? This particular Michaels is in a busy strip mall, but two stores were newly closed in this mall. I couldn't help but wonder if Michaels will be the next store to close the doors in this area.

Lately it seems that every email I receive from Michaels is kids crafts. I get that it is summer and lots of people are looking to keep kids busy, but I also see they are hoping to be your go to place for school supplies. Is Michaels turning into a kids store? Are they going to stop selling crafting supplies for adults? I see they are really enhancing their Cricut supplies. That seems to have been happening for quite some time, yet I never see anyone in the Cricut aisle???

I keep wondering if I am completely out of touch with crafting? Is it going in a different direction, and if so, what direction is that? I still look to buy dies, especially interactive, and layering dies. Am I the only one doing this? What do you think?

Last edited by Iworktostamp; 08-03-2021 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Need to add info
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Iworktostamp:
fl_beachbum (08-04-2021), RenT (08-11-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

I rarely go into our very small Michaels anymore. We lost several independent craft and quilt stores in Oregon in the past few years so like so many others I have turned to online sources.
I'm more of a needleworker and those areas in both J's and M's have shrunk even more than paper crafts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 11:41 AM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Local Stamp Store

Papercraft Clubhouse in Westbrook, CT is my favorite Tracie is the owner, Jona, Jackie, Carol, Jessie, Donna are the awesome ladies who “work” there. Quotes are because how can they call it work when they are surrounded by crafting goodness all day long hahaha
Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
LSS-Local Scrap Store
Or
LSS Local Stamp Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 11:43 AM   #51  
Glitter Queen

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

The Micheal's near me is good for glue and tape, but not many stamps. Hobby Lobby and Jo Ann's still have a good selection, but I tend to just go online to purchase my items. I'd rather browse and look in person, but there's only one true scrapbook shop in my area. Thank goodness for the internet and conventions!
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 11:48 AM   #52  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I went to Michael's Yesterday - you have to understand it is 1 1/2 hours each way - and they had virtually no dies, no stamps, very few punches (just the standard shapes) and virtually NO PAPER. If you're going to move to Scan and Cut or Cricut, you still need paper, right? Their fancy schmancy paper was there (but not the one I wanted) but I was trying to find some mustard cardstock... forget it! There were a million empty slots where paper used to be.
I am not going to drive that far to go to Michael's. Hobby Lobby is no better. They have plenty of paper, but not any punches (I prefer to punch instead of die-cut). Joanne's in Waco, only carries Fiskars now. So. . . I guess it's Amazon and online shopping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 12:54 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

I was told they no longer carry Sizzix the last time I shopped there - it’s been a while, I’m not going back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Received 301 Likes on 141 Posts

I've walked into my Michaels maybe three times in the past year -- to buy a pad of Bristol, a storage box, and a foam board. My local store has always looked somewhat messy and unclean, but it was always full of crafters/shoppers because the amount of papercrafting supplies was huge. The last few times, I was one of less than a dozen vacant-eyed people wandering the sad aisles. My disappointment began when they shut down their Aaron Bros. I use to purchase so many wonderful quality and brand art supplies there. The inventory was transferred to Michaels, but now that quality and variety is gone and I don't believe it will return. Michael's has become little more than a faded memory to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
MelanHelen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:29 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I discovered recently that an acquaintance is a papercrafter and she has told me about an LSS I’d never heard of (we’ve lost a bunch like everyone else). She’s told me they’ll special order things too, so if I like them it’ll become my new papercrafting store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 01:37 PM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

According to Michael's press release Dec 2020 they announced the top 5 crafty trends
which may explain why they've changed their in-store inventory.
https://www.michaelspressroom.com/ne...trends-of-2020Michaels 2020 Top 5 Trends in Making
  1. Jewelry – Jewelry making is a fan favorite every year, but in 2020 the big winner was resin, resin, resin for making earrings, bracelets and more, to keep you fun and fresh for yet another Zoom.
  2. Technology – The role of technology in making has continued to increase in recent years. In 2020, we saw a huge shift in consumers buying machines to help them create personalized items and gifts, like the stainless-steel tumbler for coffee and cocktails. Did we mention cocktails?
  3. Kids Arts and Education – With kids both learning and playing at home this year, laptop trays for home school and tie dye kits for everything from t-shirts to canvas bags were popular trends.
  4. Yarn – Big yarn was a popular trend this year given that people spent A LOT of time cozying up on the couch.
  5. Fine Art – Canvases for painting and paint pouring really popped this year. People poured paint to put their minds at ease while also beautifying their space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #57  
Glitter Queen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never heard of LSS... where is one? I live in Central Texas. Do they sell online? I'll have to Google that one...
Reply With Quote Likes
Teachybaby (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

My local Michael's store has definitely scaled back it's stamp/die aisle. They no longer sell brands like Spellbinders or Sizzix dies. Instead, they solely focus on their own Recollections brand. I'm not a fan of Recollections products at all. Their paper is okay but the stamps and dies are made from very poor quality materials. Thankfully, they still sell Ranger/Tim Holtz products. Those products are the only reason I shop the Michael's papercrafting aisle. Too bad they raised the prices, but I understand. They're probably trying to make up for lost sales from last year.

My local JoAnn store, on the other hand, has a very extensive papercrafting section. Unfortunately, the JoAnn store that was 1.5 miles from my house closed last year. If I want to shop at JoAnn, in person, I have to drive about 10 miles to get there. Honestly, I buy most of my crafting supplies online. I belong to a few loyalty programs for different companies and I love racking up those loyalty points!

Thanks. Great discussion!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 01:50 PM   #59  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts
Talking

Quote:

Isn't it frustrating that stores seem to think they have all the answers of what customers want, instead of simply asking us what we would like to buy?
Oh, Annie, your comment reminded me so much of back 15 years ago, when a fresh-faced Ali Edwards led a grassroots push for the scrapbook album makers to make them in sizes other than 12x12. And the industry politely said, no thank you, you are to use what we provide. Well, Ali said, ok, I'll just go to Office Depot and buy their ring binders for my 8.5x11 layouts. And then, one day, American Crafts decided she was onto something and the rest is history. And I'm laughing as I say this, because today it seems all you can find is 12x12 binders, ugh! What comes around goes around!
Reply With Quote Likes
MelanHelen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

The thing is, trends change, and if I get out of the habit of going to your store when my craft has fallen to #6 or #7, who’s to say I’ll come back when it comes around again?
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by MelanHelen:
Alice in Md (08-13-2021), Bohodiva (08-10-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

This is a really interesting thread. I live in New Zealand, where there is one (Australian-owned) craft chain store (Spotlight) and a dwindling number of LSSs. Last time I was in Spotlight, I spent nothing. They've cut back vastly on dies (just have a few Sizzix), barely any stamps, but have an entire side of one long aisle devoted to Cricut with a tiny corner for ScanNCut. So-so collection of cardstock and paper. I guess my bank balance will be happy I am a Big Shot and ScanNCut crafter.
Until I saw the vast swathe of Cricut products, I'd assumed the dwindling variety of other papercrafting supplies was due to the supply chain issues, which tend to hit NZ because we're at the end of any supply chain.....however, reading this thread, it looks as if I'm seeing much the same change in 'strategy' as you all are.
The bulk of my spending now goes to Stampin Up, an online LSS and a bricks and mortar LSS owner who regularly travels around the country and runs pop-up stores for a day at a time. These cater to the card maker/scrapbooker, and I am more than happy to support the few LSSs who remain.
Reply With Quote Likes
MelanHelen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #62  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

The situation is dire here in Ontario, Canada. We only have Michaels--no Joann's, no Hobby Lobby--and LSS's are few and far between. We have no craft supplies in my town, and it's a 45 minute drive to the nearest city and a Michaels, which is carrying less and less of the paper crafting supplies as you all have noted. Which leaves online shopping, but we don't have any big options like Scrapbook.com or the other well known ones, only LSS's that offer shipping, which is crazy expensive on top of higher Canadian prices on everything. I ordered some things from Scrapbook.com, but they don't cover taxes and duties, so by the time you convert the currency, add tax, duty, and high shipping fees, it's outrageous what a few distress oxides and one or two dies cost.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by pippinmctaggart:
linda50 (08-18-2021), MelanHelen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

That’s interesting, Pippin. I know both Ardyth Percy-Robb of SCS and YouTube and Amy Rysavy (YouTube’s Prairie Paper & Ink) are Canadian. I wonder if they have tips for Canadian crafters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 05:14 PM   #64  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Well this has been a serious look at Michaels. After what Bohodiva showed us about what they consider the trends...no big surprise. One store seems to have product and I would guess you are right-they may be getting product from the others. At this point I was just basically getting Recollections 110lb paper and some Jolees embellishments For storage I have been going to Container store clearance section if I am there in person, same thing with Bed Bath Beyond, etc. I am cheap about storage lol. The drawer tower I got online from Joann's on sale...the wheels just came off this past month so I switched it to gliders-the tall kind for 8/12 x 11 paper x 10 drawers. It was only two years old and I was not wheeling it around much. So far the 12 x 12 drawer ones are holding up ok. I am getting one particular plastic box at Ace's Hardware. At 5 bucks they are cheaper than their prettier acrylic cousins like kitchen binz.

I am sorry. LSS does mean Local Stamping Store. (or scrapbook) Meaning small private independent stores which as noted are disappearing. They can't get the bulk cheaper prices that big online stores can get. However many of them have created online aspects so you could order from them. Which is what I am doing. People ask here if we know of any when they are going to be traveling but you might surprise yourselves if you just google for stamp stores in your towns.

In case you were asking what specific store: Mine is The Ink Pad on 19th st on the west side in Manhattan. I have known them for a lot of years now. https://www.shoptheinkpad.com/ They get a lot of international trade and I like to be in the store to hear comments customers make. She works with over a 100 companies and so what she does not have, she can order. But it is tight...retail these days is tightrope and esp in the big cities where rents are high. But you can go in there and have a good conversation about products and projects-they all craft. She has some stuff that exclusive to her-NYC centric product.

For our Aussie pals....I like Paper Roses mfg a lot and they are down there. I am always thrilled when I find places in the US selling them. Plus 2 Crafty scrapbook designs, Annaleey Crafts, Couture Creations, Craft Giraffe, Darkroom Door, Dusty Attic, Happy Little Stampers, Hello Sweetums, Kaiserkraft, and ScrapFX last time I looked but that was a while ago so I cant swear they are all still there. Maybe that will help.

Interesting comment about McGuire...I think she started out doing demos for Hero didn't she? But it is very true-she pitches it, it is gonzo from the links-but you can find it sometimes elsewhere .
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by wavejumper:
pepperann (08-11-2021), Ragtop (08-04-2021), Teachybaby (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:20 PM   #65  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people are saying to not buy from Ali Express for various reasons. Most dies and stamp sets are made in China for most name brand companies and the companies didn't have copyright laws. Some of these name brand American companies are buying their dies and stamps from China that have been around for a few years in China and then putting their brand on the dies and stamps. These dies and stamps are the same quality that you get with name brand labels on them since these dies and stamps are from the same manufacturer in China. So far, my friends and I haven't been disappointed with quality from ordering from Ali Express and it gets to me in Idaho from China faster than many American on-line stores with American higher shipping rates and about 500% higher price dies and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Nancy on Prairie:
Bohodiva (08-04-2021), Cathy'sFancy (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Well this has been a serious look at Michaels. After what Bohodiva showed us about what they consider the trends...no big surprise. One store seems to have product and I would guess you are right-they may be getting product from the others. At this point I was just basically getting Recollections 110lb paper and some Jolees embellishments For storage I have been going to Container store clearance section if I am there in person, same thing with Bed Bath Beyond, etc. I am cheap about storage lol. The drawer tower I got online from Joann's on sale...the wheels just came off this past month so I switched it to gliders-the tall kind for 8/12 x 11 paper x 10 drawers. It was only two years old and I was not wheeling it around much. So far the 12 x 12 drawer ones are holding up ok. I am getting one particular plastic box at Ace's Hardware. At 5 bucks they are cheaper than their prettier acrylic cousins like kitchen binz.

I am sorry. LSS does mean Local Stamping Store. (or scrapbook) Meaning small private independent stores which as noted are disappearing. They can't get the bulk cheaper prices that big online stores can get. However many of them have created online aspects so you could order from them. Which is what I am doing. People ask here if we know of any when they are going to be traveling but you might surprise yourselves if you just google for stamp stores in your towns.

In case you were asking what specific store: Mine is The Ink Pad on 19th st on the west side in Manhattan. I have known them for a lot of years now. https://www.shoptheinkpad.com/ They get a lot of international trade and I like to be in the store to hear comments customers make. She works with over a 100 companies and so what she does not have, she can order. But it is tight...retail these days is tightrope and esp in the big cities where rents are high. But you can go in there and have a good conversation about products and projects-they all craft. She has some stuff that exclusive to her-NYC centric product.

For our Aussie pals....I like Paper Roses mfg a lot and they are down there. I am always thrilled when I find places in the US selling them. Plus 2 Crafty scrapbook designs, Annaleey Crafts, Couture Creations, Craft Giraffe, Darkroom Door, Dusty Attic, Happy Little Stampers, Hello Sweetums, Kaiserkraft, and ScrapFX last time I looked but that was a while ago so I cant swear they are all still there. Maybe that will help.

Interesting comment about McGuire...I think she started out doing demos for Hero didn't she? But it is very true-she pitches it, it is gonzo from the links-but you can find it sometimes elsewhere .

Im tired. I miss read your reply. I deleted my comment. Time for bed�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

The issue as I understand it with ********** is that they directly copy designs from the companies that designed them, so designers don't get paid and in some cases the companies go out of business. Gina of Gina K Designs has promised to do a video just about this subject, but she hasn't done so yet. I know I've seen exact copies of dies made by my favorite companies being sold on Amazon by no-name companies whose products originate in China. (edit: to be fair to Amazon, they'll take down knock-offs if you notify them, but there are so many it's hard to keep up.)

I'm sure I won't explain it correctly because I'm not sure I totally understood it, but a couple of weeks ago Ryan Swift of glittergrungegreetings on YouTube explained that Sizzix has the copyright(?) to make dies in the U.S. -- everyone else's dies are made in China (or possibly elsewhere). The issue isn't that it's being made in China -- most dies are -- it's whether it's a knock-off that's taking income from the designer and the company that paid to produce it in the first place.

Last edited by MelanHelen; 08-03-2021 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by MelanHelen:
fl_beachbum (08-04-2021), lynnewithane (08-11-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #68  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have no local shops. When we go to the city, I stop at one 90 miles away that has a lovely selection. My craft pit is better stocked than Michaels.

But truly, I know one other person who is a card marker and they buy Stampin Up, partly because I do not think they know where to look online. We literally buy almost everything online. Nothing chaps me more than driving all over town and not finding what I need. ( I am tall. It is impossible to buy a pair of pants in a tall. And 32" inseam is not tall) I also do my scrapbooks digitally. I love Photoshop and learning new skills and being amazed at what I can do. I do have them printed.

And it is a pricey hobby for something that will be thrown away.
Reply With Quote Likes
MelanHelen (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:31 PM   #69  
Cardstock Collector

Default This just happened to Me

Loved Michael's for years but in Mesa, AZ the place for stickers is empty, most cardstock is marked down. I had hoped they were just going to a different vendor but it feels more like closing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 02:31 AM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

Why do you say Ali Express steals designs? Their designs are always different from all the other sources I have ever seen from the big brand craft names. I do agree their dies are not always the best. But they will return your money if you're not satisfied. I have found lots of fun things at **********!
I would not shop in Hobby Lobby except as a last resort because of their religious views.
Reply With Quote Likes
montessorigrandma (08-06-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 04:50 AM   #71  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by this is funView Post
Why do you say Ali Express steals designs?
Because it’s true. There may be some original designs but many, many things on Ali Express are straight rip-offs of the designs of other companies, produced very cheaply. I just had a quick look and on the first couple of pages could see designs that were clearly Penny Black, Prima, Lavinia Stamps, Magnolia, MFT, Katzelkraft…. I could go on. Many others looked very much “in the style of” companies I don’t know well enough to know for sure without checking their originals.

Many stamp companies are not big outfits, they work hard to have an original offering and it must be heartbreaking for them to see their stamp (and die) designs popping up elsewhere. They don’t have the legal resource to fight copyright infringements. I told a UK outfit I buy from about listings of their designs (not on AE as it happens but I wouldn’t be surprised to find them there, too) - they’re a small family outfit who make high quality red rubber stamps in the North East of England. Their designs are popping up as low-price, clear stamps. They were grateful for the heads up but said as soon as they report one listing, another one pops up under another account.

ETA: of course Ali Express is not one company, so to speak - it’s a selling platform (a bit like Amazon is these days or eBay) and different sellers will have different standards.

My blog

Last edited by Angelnorth; 08-04-2021 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 12 users liked this post by Angelnorth:
Alice in Md (08-13-2021), bzzzeee (08-04-2021), ChrisO (08-04-2021), cjzim (09-08-2021), fl_beachbum (08-04-2021), Gildnee1 (08-04-2021), lesliespringer (08-04-2021), MelanHelen (08-04-2021), pepperann (08-11-2021), stampinstacy2010 (08-04-2021), Teachybaby (08-04-2021), uncbballfan (08-11-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #72  
Glitter Queen

I don't shop at Michaels very often anymore. I'm a hybrid scrapper and a card maker. Mostly I buy my stamps and dies directly from MFT (dies are made in the US), digital ones from the artist or SimonSaysStamp. I also have both a manual die cutter and 3 Silhouette Cameos. I use them all. When the grandkids come and we make cards, they watch if I use the Cameo but I help them if they use the manual one. Michaels is wrong if they think paper scrapping or card making is going to be obsolete, as others have said watch Jennifer McGuire or Cathy Zielske on youtube. Ali Edwards is still super popular too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 06:44 AM   #73  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I rarely go into Michaels and stay away from JoAnn's because of their jacked up prices......yes, they do that because they offer so many coupons but it doesn't sit well with me. We had a large LSS that closed two years ago but one of their employees opened her own much smaller shop. I belong to a Stampin' Up group but give her my business for all other things. I won't say I never shop online if the price is right but if it's apples to oranges I'll have her order things for me whenever possible if I don't find it in her store.

Antieof 8.......I too loved the Craft Warehouse in Wenatchee and I live on the other side of the state. We would go for my husband to golf and that is where you would find me. What an amazing store. However, there are other locations.........I've been to the one in Vancouver, WA and look forward to going again. They still have amazing things.
Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 06:52 AM   #74  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think the papercraft world (aside from Cricut for some crazy reason) is shrinking and all of us still making cards are looking for more variety and niche items than Michaels can reasonably stock. From a business standpoint, it makes more sense for them to sell a beginner macrame kit for $50 which has a big markup to a beginner crafter who doesn't know about other craft options than a very specific die that maybe only 1% of their customers will want for $15, that is if it isn't stolen before it gets sold. Plus any beginner kit appeals to more customers, everyone is a beginner at something. Few are experienced papercrafters.

I notice that all of the big stores have moved from niche art and papercraft supplies to beginner kits, home decor, and kids' projects. I think it's because the profit margin is higher (the non-crafty folks getting kids projects and beginners are more likely to pay full price and not know about, or abuse coupons which are gone now anyway and I think that is the reason, no profit) and they sell better.

Most everyone has a living space they want to decorate but no everyone crafts. Out of people starting a craft project, the most money will be made on the beginner who needs to buy all the supplies and doesn't know about online trusted options. Casual crafters are a bigger part of their business than long-time die-hard crafters and artists, and it would be impossible for them to give us all that we want at the price we want to pay.

Trust me, if there was big money in stamps and dies they would be selling them. They are just trying to stay afloat. Also, I think they are appealing to a younger audience because my 17-year-old twin daughters spend way more than I do there and I practically have a craft store in my basement that they have access to. They buy paint by number and diamond painting kits and home decor stuff. They both even said they think they are trying to appeal to a younger demographic.

Times, they are a'changing.

PS I think stamping is in a decline in popularity, look at all of the stamp stores that are struggling, lots of independent shops, and a shrinking demo. American Crafts has survived by scooping up so many brands and just about everything I find in the big box store is American crafts. Creativation/AFCI is trying to merge with NAMTA to survive so it doesn't look good. I think trends are going away from "stuff" and crafting requires lots of stuff, especially stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by lindsaymay:
AussieJenny (08-31-2021), ChrisO (08-04-2021), lylacfey (08-07-2021), lynnewithane (08-11-2021), MelanHelen (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Default Scrapbooking dies

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Because it’s true. There may be some original designs but many, many things on Ali Express are straight rip-offs of the designs of other companies, produced very cheaply. I just had a quick look and on the first couple of pages could see designs that were clearly Penny Black, Prima, Lavinia Stamps, Magnolia, MFT, Katzelkraft…. I could go on. Many others looked very much “in the style of” companies I don’t know well enough to know for sure without checking their originals.

Many stamp companies are not big outfits, they work hard to have an original offering and it must be heartbreaking for them to see their stamp (and die) designs popping up elsewhere. They don’t have the legal resource to fight copyright infringements. I told a UK outfit I buy from about listings of their designs (not on AE as it happens but I wouldn’t be surprised to find them there, too) - they’re a small family outfit who make high quality red rubber stamps in the North East of England. Their designs are popping up as low-price, clear stamps. They were grateful for the heads up but said as soon as they report one listing, another one pops up under another account.

ETA: of course Ali Express is not one company, so to speak - it’s a selling platform (a bit like Amazon is these days or eBay) and different sellers will have different standards.
Thank you for taking the time to answer me. I know you didn't intend for me to consider your list of companies as comprehensive but I did check them out anyway. None of the dies that I have bought from ********** seems to be knock offs. But if in the future I will consider 'original' companies first before I look at ********** for dies and stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Angelnorth (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #76  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

I think trends are going away from "stuff" and crafting requires lots of stuff, especially stamping.
I agree with the "stuff" comment. It is expensive and takes up a lot of space. Because of that I taught myself Inkscape so that many of my stamps are now SVGs, so I can scale them to size. I do think, however coloring stamped images, png/SVG/drawn on a Cameo is still going very strong. Look at how many people use watercolor, alcohol markers or colored pencils. It would not surprise me at all if many designers start to do digital stuff you can print out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #77  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
According to Michael's press release Dec 2020 they announced the top 5 crafty trends
which may explain why they've changed their in-store inventory.
https://www.michaelspressroom.com/ne...trends-of-2020Michaels 2020 Top 5 Trends in Making
  1. Jewelry – Jewelry making is a fan favorite every year, but in 2020 the big winner was resin, resin, resin for making earrings, bracelets and more, to keep you fun and fresh for yet another Zoom.
  2. Technology – The role of technology in making has continued to increase in recent years. In 2020, we saw a huge shift in consumers buying machines to help them create personalized items and gifts, like the stainless-steel tumbler for coffee and cocktails. Did we mention cocktails?
  3. Kids Arts and Education – With kids both learning and playing at home this year, laptop trays for home school and tie dye kits for everything from t-shirts to canvas bags were popular trends.
  4. Yarn – Big yarn was a popular trend this year given that people spent A LOT of time cozying up on the couch.
  5. Fine Art – Canvases for painting and paint pouring really popped this year. People poured paint to put their minds at ease while also beautifying their space.
Interesting! That definitely lines up with what I see in the store these days. Thank goodness I also like crochet ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:18 AM   #78  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

2020 and 2021 are not normal years. At some point the world will return to normal, even if it is a "new normal". It is a guessing game as to what the world will look like, but we do know that people will return to the work force, schools will be in session, and activities will resume. It seems short-sighted to me to base your entire business plan on two years that will be only a memory at some point soon. If you look closely at Michaels statement many of the trends they are talking about were true for 2020, but will they continue to be trends in late 2021 and beyond?

Maybe they are already starting to question their decision. It is odd their online selection of dies went from zero dies to many pages of dies in just a matter of days.
Reply With Quote Likes
MelanHelen (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 AM   #79  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

LSS = local stamp store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 10:30 AM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Ah, Wavejumper, I first heard about this store on ScS, and when I was in the beautiful and amazing NYC a few years ago I visited the store. It is charming, packed with goodies, and the staff was amazing. They seemed genuinely interested in my daughter and me. Loved my purchases and enjoyed marking them with NYC and my initials.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by Teachybaby:
Ragtop (08-04-2021), wavejumper (08-06-2021)