Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRAFT SHOW ADVICE- When taking orders....

Hello ladies. I'm about to embark on doing my first craft show. I've done a search on this site and have read many of the extremely helpful threads. Thanks so much!

I do have one question though that I have not seen answered. Many of you said you've sold out of items and have taken orders. How do you do this? Do you take a deposit to make sure the item is actually going to be bought if you make it? Do you charge full price? I'm planning to make some coasters and want to know what to do in case this happens to me.

THanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I usually keep 1 back as display purposes when I sell out of something...I put up a sign and say "Sold out today but ask me how you can order one" - If the person is buying a few other things I usually add the price in so they can pay all at once...if they aren't buying anything else I have asked for a 50% deposit at the time of the order...since I usually charge 2x3 X's my cost per item by asking half I at least have my cost of the item paid for if they back out.

Last year my upline and I did a craft fair and she made a bunch of those triangle nugget holders...they went FAST...she ended up taking orders for them and I think in the end she had orders for about 100 of them...people were buying them as place setting treats for holiday tables...

Last year we also put up a sign saying "Looking for something unique? Ask us if we can help?" We had a few people that saw something we did and asked us if we could do the same thing but with a different stamp or theme...so we took orders for those things as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I've never done this, but I would make sure I knew the amount of postage it would take to mail the coasters and collect all of the money up front!
I have a friend who does beautiful wood work, carvings and such and he never collects anything up front. He's older and didn't want his wife to have to refund money should anything happen to him. So far he's only had a few who changed their minds, but then doesn't do craft shows where alot of people come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2006, 08:35 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have them pay full price at the time of purchase, all at once with their other items. I have a minimum order as well, to make sure I am not wasting my time making and delivering one single item accross town.
One tip, if they're asking you to make more of a particular card they like, take that card back home with you so you get the others exactly like them. I used to just write down the colors, stamp set, embellishments, etc, but then sometimes I'd forget exactly what it looked like. If you have the card right in front of you it is a lot easier to reproduce.
If they want a card from scratch made to their specs, write down as much info as possible, and if it's feasible, I would take them a sample one before you go finish the others. That way you know for sure they like it before they get twenty of 'em.
Also, don't forget you may have to specially order more supplies for their order, so be sure to charge enough to cover shipping costs as well. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes