Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Covered Art Journals--How to do it? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/covered-art-journals-how-do-166231/)

m04parker 07-17-2006 09:10 PM

Covered Art Journals--How to do it?

Hi: I love the new chipboard art journal in the SU catalog--the sample is beautiful and so is the one in August's Stampin' Success. Question: how do you get the journal covered right to the edge? Do you use a square punch for the holes for the coil binding? How do you get the holes to line up? Is there a pattern? Do you just eyeball it? I'd appreciate some help--I don't have a journal yet, but I love the samples on this site and from SU. Thank you!

J-Bo 07-18-2006 09:16 AM

I don't know about the SU variety but, I have altered journals from the dollar store and this is what I did. I took the cover off of the spiral binding, marked with a pencil (on the backside of the patterned paper I plan to use), the holes where the spiral goes through. Punch holes with my eylet setter tools. Adhere paper to the cover, decorate as desired and then re-thread the spiral binding back on. Hope that helps and good luck!

m04parker 07-18-2006 02:19 PM

Thanks! I never thought of that! I appreciate your help.

HandcraftedHeart 08-05-2006 05:47 PM

I would like to try this. Do you have to take the spiral completely off? I just know it would take me forever to rethread that spiral through all the paper!!

J-Bo 08-06-2006 09:57 AM

I think I have done it both ways. The first time I think I took just the cover and back cover off and left the papers still bound. Last night, I took everything out so I could make dividers. It did take a little longer to put back on but, was still fairly quick once I figured out how to re thread it again...lol. It turned out awesome! Best of luck:)

Jen

Julesiana 08-06-2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandcraftedHeart
I would like to try this. Do you have to take the spiral completely off? I just know it would take me forever to rethread that spiral through all the paper!!

It doesn't take that long. I use a huge safety pin (old diaper pin) to hold the pages together so the holes do not get off kilter.

stampingkwilter 08-06-2006 10:09 AM

Actually if you keep the holes all aligned they rethread really easily. You just twist it back on reverse of how you twisted it off. I use two large bulldog clips to hold the pages together while I am working on the covers. I clip the pages together close to the sprial before I take the covers off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandcraftedHeart

Najaa 08-08-2006 06:05 AM

Did you have any problem with the wire? Did it become distorted in anyway?

J-Bo 08-08-2006 09:41 AM

The wire binding did not become distorted in anyway. I actually bent the piece I was rethreading so it would re-thread faster and go through at the right angle. Once it was back on, I just rebent it back the way it was. Looks perfect.

Stampingwithkids 08-08-2006 11:37 AM

Actually, 7 Gypsies came out with a spiral book with dividers and the spiral is easy easy to take off and put on. It is $6.50 though, but if you want to save time, it is the best one that I have used so far.

Najaa 08-08-2006 12:24 PM

I couldn't believe how easy it was to remove the front and back cover from the On Board Journal. I have a Journal Camp on August 18 and this will make designing the cover so much easier for everyone. Thanks again.