Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:06 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Default Courage and Honor Poll

I just got this set in the mail yesterday and now I am kinda bummed because when I showed it to a neighbor, he said that it was a Marine based set. My DH is Air Force, and now I feel like any cards I make with it will be weird because it is not his branch. So here is my question: Would it seem odd to make my hubby and friends cards with this set if they are not in the Marines?

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Keva - what year is it from so I can look at the picture?
Old 09-03-2004, 05:15 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

I think it is from the 2002-2003 catalog.

Old 09-03-2004, 05:17 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I had to look it up so I went to the gallery. I say you could use it for our husband. My husband is also in the Air Force and he would have a problem with this set. I say use it to your heart's content!
Old 09-03-2004, 05:20 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am not sure that it is a Marine set - I WOULD use it and my Husband is also in the Air Force.... The plane looks like an F16 or something close to me...altho the ribbons I am not sure about altho not exact I think they may be much older (wwII or something)...I think the rest would be great

Oh and even tho the helo's are usually army, marines - They see them all the time over there and many of our AF "get" to ride on them too!

I will show my husband tonight and ask him what everything represents for you so you can feel better about it!!

PM me your email and I will email you directly if that is ok....
Shelley
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2004, 05:27 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Keva- I would use it. I have this set and I love it. But if you wanted an Air Force set I know that CTMH has a set for each branch of the military. Just thought I would let you know.

Deb
Old 09-03-2004, 05:28 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Deb,

Yeah I 'accidentaly' saw their catalog last week and I saw it in there. It is very cute, but......I don't know.....maybe.....

Old 09-03-2004, 06:08 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Use it anyways and send the cards to Keri, and as for the CTMH sets, my husband was in the Army (recently retired) I was very dissapontted when no military sets were added to the new catty and here in my town the CTMH consultant took off with the new accrylics, I almost had a heart attack when I had an Open house and noone showed up because they ( my clients) were at a class she offered.So I contacted her and ordered the Army set they offered to see what I was compitting against...I got the set and the block and honestly is somewhere in the house I don't know where, but tried and didn't like it at all, I am afraid the images will reap if I keep mounting and ummounting , could not get a clear image and ink marks all over the paper, so I am sticking to SU and so my customers, most of them have come back and express the same problems with the other stamps.The images are pretty but difficult to get a clear impession, Rubber rocks and I know now that it doesn't hurt to try other products, a little comparisson will help you out when your customers come with the questions about the difference in companies. What ever works for the client. No disrespect to other people or companies, like I said what ever works better for you.

I love to stamp, what a stress reliever!
Old 09-03-2004, 06:18 AM   #9  
SCS Moderator

Keva-I have no idea about the stet sory I can't help ya there. Just wanted to know that I'm thinking about you. My husband used to be in the military before we had kids. Dealing with a dog by myself was enough of a pain, I can only imagine how hard it is for you (and all the other military wives) right now.

Thinking about you and hoping you get some Keva time, too!

Old 09-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Hi Keva
I just had to go get my set out and take a look. My dh is a Marine which is why I got the set, but the only one I've used for him is the one with the Marines raising the flag. The helo one seems more Army to me, but it could be Marine too, and the plane stamp is definately Air Force. My dh is a pilot, and if I did something with the plane stamp it wouldn't go over too well with him. It looks like an F/16 which is flown by the Air Force and not the Marine Corps. Not sure about the ribbon stamps. One looks like a Purple Heart, but I really don't know much about ribbons. I'll ask my hubby tonight when he gets home.
Lisa
Old 09-03-2004, 09:59 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Keva, the flag raising is from WWII. The marines raising the flag on Iwo Jima. The Purple Heart ribbon is the same for all branches of the service. The star ribbon could be used for either the Silver Star or Bronze Star depending on the metalic ink used. The Vietnam stamp with the Huey helocopers could be used for any branch too. In Vietnam the soldier's combat uniforms looked the same, but I would think the helocopters make this more of an Army stamp. The fighter jet would definately be Air Force.

IMO - I think cards made with this set would be appreciated by anyone who serves in the military - regardless of their branch of service.

Banded 12-13-07
Ask me about it! Start 238 Current 138 Goal 125

Old 09-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

and don't forget, that flag on iwo jima was raised by marines AND one navy corpsman!

now, if anyone can find me Royal Canadian Air Force stamps, i'd be sitting pretty!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:21 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have the set and just asked DH; he was in Viet Nam in 1968/69.

AshleyAnne is right on all counts. That is definitely the raising of the flag on Iwo Jima(WWII); the solider is from Viet Nam era army with the Huey gunships; that is the purple heart; and the star could be either the Silver Star or the Bronze Star; but he said the airplane drawing was too obscure and didn't know which one it was.

(I'll have to do up his Viet Nam pictures one day. That's why I got the set.)
Old 09-04-2004, 09:56 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

I asked hubby about this since he is a former Marine (don't let him see me type that!) He said that the ribbons could be for anyone, Iwo Jima is for Marines, the helos and guy is Army and he could not tell the plane one. He said it was too obscure to tell for sure but it is probably for airforce but could be used for Marines also. I really want to get this set now. I have a scrapbook I am suppost to be doing for hubby for his time enlisted. Only one of them would not work for us, the Army one. Dave is an avionics tech so the plane would even work.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:48 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

I use the set for my husband who is in the Army. I think no matter what they all mesh together. Iwo Jima is something that they all relate to. So stamp, stamp, stamp. But if you don't want the set. I am looking for one. But I would use it. Most people unless they are military won't know the diff.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Please do not worry about the thoughts of one person.

My husband is not a marine and I have (and have used) this set many times. I bought the set from an AF wife who was going through a divorce. She had used it. When she found out my husband was receiving the bronze star she gave me a really good deal. She even gave me some blank cards she had stamped.

I hope you can enjoy your new set.

I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.

Harry S. Truman