Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Could this be the next trend ?? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/could-next-trend-508245/)

Barbara Jay 10-06-2010 11:25 AM

Could this be the next trend ??

Trends come and go . Recently I was wondering what comes after sewing on cards
Could this be it??

Polished to Perfection: 12 Weeks of Christmas Blog Hops - Week 5- Crocheting on the Edge

armadillo 10-06-2010 11:29 AM

It won't interest me because I can't crochet or knit and probably wouldn't chase around looking for ready made stuff to use with a card.

sthoeny 10-06-2010 11:29 AM

Oh boy I hope not, I don't know how to crochet. I still haven't even broken out my sewing machine, I have good intentions, but just haven't done it yet... :)

DigitalStamper63 10-06-2010 11:30 AM

Possibly; I'm not a crochet-er; I tried to pick it up in high school when my aunt was into it. I couldn't crochet a square for the life of me!

For the un-initiated, it looks like a lot of work, but if you are experienced enough I could see it taking off. The creator did a very nice vintage looking ornament.

Allistamps123 10-06-2010 11:36 AM

Not for me either. I'm a CAS card maker for the most part and I don't have an interest in sewing or crocheting on a card.

Melissa_Aggie 10-06-2010 11:38 AM

Wow! That looks amazing! I can't crochet so I'll be in the "out!"

jactop 10-06-2010 11:39 AM

It's cute for an ornament but I can't imagine doing all that work on a card then having someone toss it.

Cindy Littler 10-06-2010 11:40 AM

I think that is way cute. :-D Maybe when I retire I would have time to do something like that. I like to crochet and have seen trims like that on other things but never cards. Thanks for sharing the link.

Barbara Jay 10-06-2010 11:46 AM

It might be attractive crocheted in gold or silver cord. I have some of that . Hum-m-m
I can see it as an ornament. She used a very simple crochet pattern. Like Granny squares

Karenwhite 10-06-2010 12:50 PM

Wow, that is so easy, and I can crochet. I like it. I might make some for ornaments. be a challenge to do something totally different. Thanks for sharing.

Scrapjanny 10-06-2010 01:55 PM

That does look easy - much like a granny square. I've been crocheting since I was 5, so this wouldn't be difficult for me at all. My mother would probably love to make some of these. Thanks for sharing.

cdjkssss 10-06-2010 02:30 PM

Well, for once a new trend would be something that I already know how to do and have supplies in abundance! That would be a nice change. I made some simple paper ornaments with crocheted edges like this a few years ago, but I like the looks of the example shown even more. I might give it a whirl. I'm a faster crocheter than a colorer, so a crocheted card would take me less time than a Copic-colored one. I'd still save it for special people, but I wouldn't rule it out.

buggainok 10-06-2010 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karenwhite (Post 17406242)
Wow, that is so easy, and I can crochet. I like it. I might make some for ornaments. be a challenge to do something totally different. Thanks for sharing.

I'm with you, Karen. I know how to crochet, like afghans and stuff. Nothing complicated like clothing though.

I think it would be pretty easy to do. You wouldn't even have to have the Nesties die she used. You could just use any simple shape and a hole puncher to make holes around the edge to crochet through.

I have a lot of family members who are the sentimental type (thank goodness, since I like to make things.) They would really appreciate getting a card/Christmas ornament. I like this idea for Christmas, but not as a general thing for regular cards.

DerbyLea 10-06-2010 05:15 PM

I like to crochet but I am not sure I would enjoy crocheting on paper.

lisha_1988 10-06-2010 05:48 PM

I dont particularly like that orniment but I have seen crocheted flowers for sale which could mean you can use them on cards without having to crochet lol

michellesscrap 10-07-2010 03:35 AM

A friend of mine starting crocheting flowers and selling them to scrapbookers about three years ago... of course I don't crochet so I had to buy my fair share! I have seen some really lovely ones on etsy too!

Anemone 10-07-2010 05:20 AM

That's really neat. I can crochet and would consider doing this. But on cards for special people who I know appreciate the work - like my grandma or my mom.

cerridwen3301 10-07-2010 05:52 AM

YEP! i love to crochet and in fact just got a whole book on crochet borders!

cat_woman 10-07-2010 09:17 AM

I like the look of it, but I wouldn't do it for cards. For an ornament yeah. I'm an experienced crotchet-er and this looks very, very simple to do. I think I may just give this a try. They look like they would be nice little Christmas gifts or good for craft sales.

Cynamom 10-07-2010 09:53 AM

While I appreciate the work that goes into that, I prefer my cards to be more simple and done with the more "traditional" card making materials.

mztamela 10-07-2010 09:56 AM

This definitely does NOT make my socks roll up and down. I don't want to offend anyone, but just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should.

jazzytobi 10-07-2010 10:26 AM

I am not a fan of crocheting, and would definitely NOT jump on that bandwagon (and haven't thus far in regards to crocheted flowers etc...) so I'm safe..

stampkinz 10-07-2010 10:28 AM

Gorgeous sample!! I'm not a crocheter, either, but I bet those who are could make some beautiful cards!

javagirl984 10-13-2010 04:15 AM

That is very cool! I don't crochet, but my mom does. She made me some cute flowers for my cards. I may have to have her try this out when we go camping in a few weeks. Thanks for the link.

musicmarth 10-13-2010 04:28 AM

Ooooh, I love that! I crochet little baby lovies for my friends' babies and this would be a great way to incorporate the crochet concept from the card to the gift! Thanks for sharing!

lacyquilter 10-13-2010 05:25 AM

I think it's a fabulous idea! I love to crochet. I am a thread crochet girl - don't do yarn, so this is my kind of project. I've been crocheting flowers for cards and recently started making edgings. The flowers only take 10 minutes, and the edgings about twice that. I love this idea for an ornament. I will definitely be trying this.

nancy53 10-13-2010 05:30 AM

This is great and I love to crochet! Thanks for finding a way to combine my two favorite crafts!

Dragonwold 10-13-2010 07:00 AM

I checked out the Just-Rite stamp blog yesterday and they too had crochet on a card. I am having a hard enough time trying to make some of those pretty crochet flowers lol

Conniecrafter 10-13-2010 07:06 AM

Oh I love the ornament idea that was so pretty, I have crocheted a few flowers and borders and even did some frames, the cards were given to my two sisters and girlfriend that I do crocheting with, new she would appreciate it, here is a link to one of the cards I did Crochet frame by Conniecrafter - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers My sister framed this card I did for her

akbride 10-13-2010 08:04 AM

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

Erin K 10-13-2010 08:28 AM

I can see it. Not just done on the edge like this, but like a border strip of crochet then attach it. Those adorable crochet flowers took off so why not this?

I won't be doing it myself though. Layering a few flowers and tieing a button to them is about all the fussyness I'm going to do! haha.

I do agree that it might be something we see more on non card projects. I'd hate to do that work and it go in the trash. Of course it doesn't take much longer to crochet an edge than it does to use 18 copics and some glitter pens to color a detailed image does it? And yarn is crazy cheap. (Can be crazy cheap, can also be pretty expensive)

yungs 10-13-2010 08:31 AM

I've really gotten into crocheting snowflakes to use on my Christmas cards and I just recently found an adorable pumpkin pattern I'm going to do for some Fall/Thanksgiving cards.

Dragonwold 10-13-2010 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yungs (Post 17435692)
I've really gotten into crocheting snowflakes to use on my Christmas cards and I just recently found an adorable pumpkin pattern I'm going to do for some Fall/Thanksgiving cards.

Just checked out your blog and saw the snowflake card, where did you find the pattern for the snowflake?

diane speed 10-13-2010 01:39 PM

I love this idea, it might make cards a bit bulky but i can see loads of potential for edging gift box lids for a snug fit etc. Crochet is very quick, i'm going to try this on 3d stuff. Di,x

jeanne3579 10-13-2010 06:33 PM

Love this look. I love to crochet and have loads of thread and yarn left-overs that I'd love to use this way. Looks difficult to many, but really is simple and quick.

sabknits 10-14-2010 03:22 AM

This ornament reminds me of the 3-D structures my grandmother made from old greeting cards. I remember that she made boxes and chairs..... I'll bet I have a box of WIP in the basement.... will have to go dig that out now!!

I love pink 10-15-2010 08:55 AM

I haven't mastered the sewing on cards yet!

StickUps 10-16-2010 09:33 AM

Wow, that is freakin' amazing. I love it. I haven't picked up a crochet needle in 20+ plus years, and, dang it, Grandma's not here to show me anymore. May have to stalk a yarn store to pick it back up again. Love the look. Thanks for being our trend watcher. Keep up the good work. :)

Stampnf1n 10-16-2010 09:48 AM

My 90 yr/old grandmother used to take greeting card and cut the design out and crochet around them to make book marks. I still have one she made me when I was in third grade and loved kitties!

This brings back pleasant memories.

Bonnie

luvscards 10-16-2010 10:10 AM

This is beautiful, but I sure hope not! I just got around to sewing on cards.. YIKES!