Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 AM   #41  
Mad Swapper

i haven't bought a card in over 4 years! i like the theraputic creativity of making my own, and we have time. the time it took to go to the store, shop and search for the card, you probably could have made a great one! think about it {grin}
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by vensung1
I recently entered the card dept at a local shop and think the prices have gone down in the past few years and was quite impressed at how great they are now being made. Honestly, I saw eyelets, brads, ribbons, etc... and the cards were like $2.85 which for any great looking card is a steal- My first reaction was hmmm unless someone has a real passion to make cards why bother?? I know that the amount of money I have invested in paper, adhesive, embellishments etc.....make the actual cost of my cards at around....... $48.95 a card. All kidding aside though- the price is coming down- they even had a section of hallmark for 49 cents.... it has me worried...
I think for most of us it's as much about the process of stamping a hand-made card as it is about the savings. In fact, there's probably few of us who do it for the savings!

I am a part-time card merchandiser for American Greetings as well as a Stampin' Up! demo. Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating! lol. I am surprised at how much the store bought cards cost. Even the most simple cards are $1.99 to $2.99. The ones with embellishments are better but they still have that manufactured look and feel to them.

I would much rather get a hand-stamped card any day of the week!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:21 AM   #43  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indy_Patti
Tara
I loved your comment about your grandmother. It seems that we - the cardmakers - focus on the design/colors/punches/papers/embellishments. But the card buyers really go for the sentiment! I have a friend who LOVES my cards - but she always looks inside (blank - I'm on a one woman mission to get people to actually write something personal in a card haha)
I might have to step it up though - and start writing the inside - printing on my base cardstock before I start cutting - just to give em what they want!
And I'm joining the ranks of making cards when I need one to send - personalizes at least a little for the receiver. Although I do keep a stash of more generic cards to give away in gift sets.
I too am on the mission to get people to write in their own greeting on the inside. I sell my cards at work (although I must admit most people are more willing to buy them for $5 or more at Hallmark than they are to come and buy them from me for $2) I have been told before that if I would only put something on the inside more people would buy them. Well I refuse. I never enjoy getting the bought cards and when I open it up it says "Love, Mom" and nothing else hand written. (those are cards from my MIL ) I just will never understand why people can't write what they are thinking or feeling to let the other person know how special they are. Thanks for the versalog website... I have never heard of that before and I will be sure to use it.

My husband and I attend a small baptist church and for the past 3 years we have sent out birthday, anniversary, mother and father's day, Easter and Christmas cards to all of our church families. I make them all. Sometimes I personalize them but I dont always have the time. I make about 10 cards of the same kind and I have them for when I need them. My husband is awesome and very well organized (former Marine) so he gives me the list of names at the beginning of each month. I either pick from my already made cards or I sit down and make cards and then give them all to him. He takes care of mailing them out at the right time. If it weren't for my husband being so well organized I would probably not get everything done.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:06 AM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

According to my husband, I'm not allowed to buy any store bought cards since I have invested so much in my SU stamps & accessories. It's been 6yrs, so I make my own cards, normally when I make a card...I make 4 of the same & don't stamp on the inside. Then when I know there's a birthday or something is coming, I just have one ready & then stamp it....but lately I've been doing the last minute thing with stamping.....just been busy lately.

Connie
Old 04-25-2007, 07:06 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I havent bought a card since I started stamping in Feb 06 That means that my family and friends are all resigned to the fact that their card will be late but it will be pretty and from the heart and they get over it. They are all so thrilled to get a "handmade" card that they dont mind the tardiness!

My parents anniversary and dad's bday was yesterday and their cards were mailed today
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 04-25-2007, 07:29 AM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

While I no longer buy Hallmark cards (can't justify the cost!), I often have a hard time parting with my handmade creations! Does anyone else have that problem? Sometimes I'll make 2 of the same card, just so I get to keep one & wouldn't have an "excuse" not to send off the other one!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:48 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Haven't purchased a card in......maybe......15 years or so. My DH on the other hand always buys my anniversary and bday cards. Sheesh! The last one was $6!