Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer experts - I need help with my desktop- kind of long!

For openers - I have had a hard time deciding where to go for help. Hopefully, this forum will work.

My computer and I get along as long as it behaves. This morning it did something stupid and I can't figure it out.

I was trying to upload a card, and when I got to the bottom of the first page and clicked "submit", nothing happened. I then also had some problems moving from page to page in forums, etc. It may have been a provider or browser problem - I am using a (free) local wi-fi.

When I gave up on all of this, closed out the windows, and got to the desktop, there was my image, totally covering the screen, with the desktop icons neatly layered on top. I tried to click somewhere in the upper right corner, like when I use a slide show - no arrows, x, or anything to click. I logged off, turned off the computer (twice) - my card is still there. I like my card, but there are limits...

Does anyone have a clue? I have no idea what I did to get the image there and I would really like to get rid of it! Thanks.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 08:45 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

It sounds like when you clicked "save" after scanning your card, you clicked "save to desktop", and now your computer is using the scan of your card as its desktop. Put your mouse in the center of your desktop away from any icons... right click... click on "properties"... in that box you should see a tab that says "desktop". Click on that tab and you should be able to change your desktop image to what it was before, or just scroll through the options until you find a new one that you like.

As for uploading your card to the gallery here, make sure that once your card is scanned that it's saved to your hardrive as a .jpeg (picture) file and not your desktop. The gallery uploading program knows to look in your hardrive for the .jpeg and if the card is saved as your desktop, it won't "find it" and upload it properly. I'm not real computer savvy either... most of what I know is purely self-taught. Trial and error. LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

I was going to say the same thing as bnlnkids; sounds like you accidentally set your card image as your desktop background (if you right click on some image you are viewing that's saved on your computer right now, if you are running Windows xp or similar, that is one of the options way down on the little popup menu when you right click). Setting a photo as your desktop background is different from saving a photo on your Desktop. The desktop is just another location on your main hard drive. Personally for uploading photos, I have a crafting folder on my desktop, and pix to be uploaded go in a specially marked subfolder in that folder.

Hope that helped in some way for future reference!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2006, 05:06 AM   #4  
immzw4

If you are running a Windows XP machine, you can get rid of the card background by:

Right click on the desktop
Choose Properties
Go to Desktop tab
Under Background, choose anything that isn't your card

Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2006, 06:09 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Lisa, Mel, and Immzw4. I had tried to right click but just had not figured out about properties. There were a couple of other good tips from you as well. (I guess I should just take one of my grandkids for a resident guru!)

One more example of how great this community is!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes