Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Complimenting CS with ink

I need help in understanding purchasing inks to go with card stock. If you don't purchase the SU CS, those are the only ones i am seeing with complimentary ink & cs, what do you do? Im gonna start purchasing cs and was highly considering the bazzill cs. What inks go well with that?

Thanks you guys. I feel like my head is going to explode, i've read so much.

(Oh my im getting acronym savvy-used 2 in a row, not bad for a newbie) ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't help (sorry) since I stick to SU!, but I just had to congratulate you on your acronym usage! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the Angel company has ink to match bazzil...not sure but I think so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Bazzill has some wonderful colors, and I buy & use a lot of it! To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a line of inks that ties specifically to the Bazzill range of colors. When I don't have an ink color that matches or coordinates well enough with a stock color I'm using, I stick with a neutral ink color (black, brown, gray, navy or dark green) and use colored pencils or markers or something to tie to the stock colors. (That is, if the stamps I'm using require coloring-in.)

That said, I do think that of the multiple lines of inks and colors that are out there, most of them have a wide enough range of colors to go well with most cardstock colors available. I understand that CTMH has a range of inks that go with its cardstock colors, like SU does. I'm a SU demo, so I have a lot of their inks and stock -- but I also love and use the Palette Hybrid inks, the VersaMagic chalk inks and the Brilliance inks, too. (I buy the small, spot-sized pads from *all* of these brands, BTW -- I don't have the money or space for full-sized pads in all those colors!) Ranger has some great ink colors, too -- both in the Adirondack and Distress lines. I guess I'm not really helping here, am I? ;)

I've been stamping and acquiring inks and cardstock for almost 10 years now, and have made *lots* of mistakes -- wasted a lot of $$ buying things that I wound up not using because I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to use them FOR. If I were just starting to acquire inks and paper today, I think I'd try to approach it as logically and efficiently as possible. I'd start with good basic neutral colors of ink from several different brands, to see which *types* of inks I prefer -- dye, pigment or hybrid. Then I'd buy the cardstock that appealed to me the most, and start working with it. From there I'd try to figure out which colors of ink I'd likely get the most use from and wanted to add to my stash. Part of that will depend on the kind of stamping you like to do -- do you enjoy images that need to be colored-in (with pencils, watercolors, chalks, markers or whatever) or do you prefer images that are more solid and need to be stamped in color? Markers can cover several uses as far as that goes -- you can ink a stamp with them as well as color-in with them.

It's also a lot easier to find a color of card-stock that goes with a particular ink than it is to work the other way around, in my experience -- if you're lucky enough to have a good store nearby where you can go and pick your stock colors in person. When I started stamping, my local stamp stores didn't carry card stock in colors -- I had to order it, and hope that what I got would work with the colors of ink I'd bought. Now the opposite is true -- my local stores are scrapbook stores, with loads of wonderful papers and stock (including lots of Bazzill), but I have to order the inks! At least now I have plenty of ink, so I can take index cards with my ink-colors stamped on them when I go paper-shopping and see what works with what.

I don't want to bore you or confuse you any more than I probably already have, so I'll try to boil it down a bit. I recommend starting with the basics as far as ink colors go -- you will probably find that you can do most things you want to do with them. All the rest will be there when you have the interest and the funds to invest in them... Hope this helps a little! :mrgreen:

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Just wondering why you don't go ahead and purchase SU inks and CS. The quality is exceptional and hey... they do match? KWIM ?(conspicuous use of an acronym)

Just a "devil's advocate" question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I use mostly Bazzill CS with my SU inks. I bought a multi-color pack of the colors and cut little 2"X2" swatch from each color. I punched a hole in the corner and put them on a diaper pin. I put it in my purse, so I have whereever I go. I can then take those swatches to my LSS and match the CS color pretty close. Some of the colors are hard to find, but I think I've found most of the SU colors in Bazzill. Sometimes the colors are exactly right, but they are close enough for me. I've also taken a solid stamp and stamped all the colors onto it and then I can match the CS to the ink colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bazzill card stock is beautiful and it has such interesting textures, which I love. What you could do is take a piece of white card stock and stamp all you inks on it. Then, take that card stock shopping with you. Just a thought.
Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
Just wondering why you don't go ahead and purchase SU inks and CS. The quality is exceptional and hey... they do match? KWIM ?(conspicuous use of an acronym)

Just a "devil's advocate" question.
I adore SU card stock but for some projects, the Bazzill card stock is cool because some of it is textured like weaves and stripes, etc... Oh, heck, I really haven't met a cardstock that I don't like. I have all the SU colors too. LOL! :-D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 11:10 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, there is always the bazzinks, made to go with bazill paper.http://www.jordanpaperarts.com/Merch...gory_Code=BB17
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I am a total sucker for Clearsnap pigment Colorbox inks. I buy them in the mini size for about $3 so I can afford (and have room to store) more. My local stamping store (LSS) carries a huge selection of them, and I've been stopping in to pick up more and more of the colors. I'm sure I'll eventually have them all.

I have started matching the Colorbox ink colors to the SU! cardstock because I don't care for SU!'s ink pads. The ladies at my LSS are nice enough to let me bring in whatever cardstock I want to check and test it with sample ink pads to get a good match.

Buying ink can be trial and error, and opinions vary widely. You might want to pick up a few different brands of ink pads to see which ones you like before you invest heavily in any one. I have also had good-ish luck with Versafine inks, though Colorbox is my fave. And, if I can't find a color I like in my brand of choice, I buy it in another brand, simple as that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

My favorite is to use brown on every color...sometimes light, sometimes dark.

Canadians! Visit the Canadian Stamping Forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

My favorite is to use brown on every color...sometimes light, sometimes dark.

Canadians! Visit the Canadian Stamping Forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 05:58 AM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I have both SU and CTMY pad and some by Ranger and I have no problem matching bazzill cardstock with my ink. It is just trial and error. I only buy bazzill CS...........
Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I like Bazzill cardstock when I want textured, SU when I want a solid color all the way through, CTMH when I'm wanting to sand the cardstock they have a white core I love for this.
I have all the SU spots and In Colors in full size pads and all the CTMH full size pads. I bought the SU spots to try them out intending to buy full size pads later but still have not replaced them and probably won't they are great!
I also have a few colorbox pigment inks and some of my new faves are the Palette pads they work really well with Bazzill
Also what kind of stamps are you using?
For me I've found that rubber stamps work well with all types of ink, acrylic stamps work best with hybrid or chalk inks
And markers, markers, markers! You deffinatly need to get some there is so much you can do with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ink: Hi, Cardstock, you are so cute.
Cardstock: Thanks for the compliment!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 07:15 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Joan, you always crack me up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you ladies. You have helped me a great deal. I choose bazzill cs because I like the colors and textures, and the price ain't that bad either. Didnt know about the bazzinks, thanks Joan. It seems like I have alot of testing/trial-and-error, ahead of me and you ladies have helped push me in the right direction.
I guess on Saturday I'm going to go visit some LSSsssss.

Thank you again ladies:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 08:15 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Wow -- I had no idea these existed!! Thanks for the info, Joan! Careful, you're going to usurp Belinda King's title as She Who Knows All! :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Also, there is always the bazzinks, made to go with bazill paper.http://www.jordanpaperarts.com/Merch...gory_Code=BB17

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This place also Carries BazzInks:

http://ebbcreations.com/catalog/inde...page=1&sort=2d

These inks cordinate with Bazzill Cs,

I have set of the Yellow's up for sale in Buy/Sell/Trade...if anyone is interested.

Also most of the Palette Inks will go with the Bazzill Cardstock very well.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have all sorts of cardstock and ink. Too many grab bag deals on ebay. What I often have to do is just pull out any ink pad that looks close to the CS I'm working with, then stamp on a piece of scrap paper twice. That gives me a dark and a light version of the ink. If it matches, great! If it doesn't I try another ink pad.

Which reminds me, I just ordered a whole lot of Cat's Eyes (Colorbox) and they haven't arrived yet.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Has anyone discovered by accident or on purpose which Tombow markers match the Bazzill cardstock? Or does anyone know if there is a color comparison chart on here somewhere? I'm getting cross-eyed and distracted reading all of the posts...really I should sidetracked as I'm finding out lots and lots of really cool stuff.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

I would go with SU! inks. It's funny though because today I am making a set of 8 cards for my grandparents. My mom actually bought the consumables (paper, ribbon, etc) so I am using Bazzil. I have found close matches with SU! ink for the 4 colors she picked out between stamping off and using a mister
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I use SU! CS and inks but I also buy CS and DP at my LSS and use it with my SU! inks. I just pick a contrasting or neutral ink. It is so easy to with so many different ink choices from SU! to find one that goes with just about every colour under the rainbow but you don't have to always match the CS colour. It's always good to try something different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider buying the small sizes (like the dew drops, cats eyes) of different colors and different types of ink. They are pretty inexpensive and it gives you a chance to evaluate how you like the brand/type as well as the color.

The inks all have different characteristics and you might fall in love with the way one type stamps. Then you can match cardstocks to the inks you love - instead of the other way around. Bazzill has a mind boggling amount of colors and textures of cardstock, so something is bound to match.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2008, 04:48 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

I don't think Bazzill is carrying the spots anymore and I know there aren't any reinkers.

The Bazzill Smoothies had very close matching CS for SU! Jersey Shore DP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Here are the SU colors and the name of the Bazzil CS I use. Some aren't exact, but it's close enough for me.
SU Colors in Bazzill Cardstock

Pretty in Pink � Fussy
Regal Rose- Cupcake
Pixie Pink-
Pink Passion- Bubblegum
Purely Pomegranate- Tink Pink
Bravo Burgundy- Tokyo
Rose Red- Berry Sensation
Real Red- Candy Apple
Ruby Red- Brick (ink) OR Red Hot (paper)
Cranberry Crisp- Cinnamon
Blush Blossom- Foxy
Apricot Appeal- Melon
Cameo Coral- Flamingo
Groovy Guava- Dark Rosey
Only Orange- Festive
Pumpkin Pie- Yam
Really Rust- Terra Cotta
Barely Banana- Daisy
So Saffron- Sunflower
Summer Sun- Bumblebee
Yo-Yo Yellow- Yellow
Marigold Morning-
More Mustard- Pumpkin
Gable Green- Lemon Lime
Mint Melody-
Green Galore- Kelli Green
Sage Shadow- Aqua
Certainly Celery- Parakeet
Glorious Green- Green
Wild Wasabi- Peapod
Mellow Moss- Safari
Old Olive- Hillary
True Thyme-
Garden Green- Kiwi Crush OR Greenbriar
Always Artichoke- Palo Verde OR Ivy
Handsome Hunter- Aspen
Taken with Teal- Blue Oasis
Cool Caribbean- Pistachio
Tempting Turquoise- Blue Raspberry
Soft Sky- Jet Stream
Bashful Blue- Star Mist
Ballet Blue- Cobalt
Bordering Blue- Stonewash
Brocade Blue- Periwinkle
Brilliant Blue- Mediterranean
Buckaroo Blue- Jacaranda
Blue Bayou- Lakeshore
Not Quite Navy- Bahama
Night of Navy- Oslo
Pale Plum- Rosebud
Mauve Mist-
Almost Amethyst- Sugar Plum
Lavender Lace- Dahlia
Orchid Opulence- Plum Delight
Lovely Lilac- Forget-Me-Not
Perfect Plum- Jubilee
Vintage Violet- Starlight
Elegant Eggplant- Pansy
Creamy Caramel- Ginger
Close to Cocoa- Truffle
Chocolate Chip- Dark Chocolate
Going Gray- Smoky
Basic Gray- Elephant
Reply With Quote Likes