Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Commenting in the gallery

We've all seen the threads asking for comments on : favourites this week, least commented upon, etc. While I love the idea, I have one problem with it. I love comments on my creations. I don't get a whole lot so each comment is special. My issue is the cut and paste commenting. I've seen a number of comments that are always the same. Each upload is unique and deserves a unique comment, so could we try to make sure that we're commenting on the artwork rather than seeing how many we can comment on?

Just my 2 cents...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:41 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually comment on the ones that catch my eye.... Sometimes I say or 'post' the same sort of remarks... I usually don't get a lot of comments in my gallery, but I'm happy for the ones I get..... (I don't mind the copy & paste version) JMHO ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think there has been a general decline in the number of comments in the galleries, so I'm not going to complain about comments that may lack pizzaz! I know it's nice if people have a bit more to say in their comments, but I'll take a 'Beautiful!' if that's all they have time for! There are a few girls who get 40 or 50 comments on almost every card they post, but they are the exception. Most cards get one or two, if that. Even the number of comments on cards in the challenges seems to have gone down. I don't know what to make of it. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

(Wish we had an edit button!
I wanted to add that it seems there aren't as many people replying to threads in the Stamping threads lately, either. I rarely go to the Everyday Chat forums, so can't say if it's happening there, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
I think there has been a general decline in the number of comments in the galleries, so I'm not going to complain about comments that may lack pizzaz! I know it's nice if people have a bit more to say in their comments, but I'll take a 'Beautiful!' if that's all they have time for! There are a few girls who get 40 or 50 comments on almost every card they post, but they are the exception. Most cards get one or two, if that. Even the number of comments on cards in the challenges seems to have gone down. I don't know what to make of it. [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]

I've noticed the decline, too! It's actually there in lots of the forums, as well. Just not as many people posting, period. Perhaps it has something to do with kids being out of school, people being outside and busy, cuz it's summer.

I don't mind when I get a cookie-cutter comment, because I do that to people quite a bit -- if I see a card I really like, I want to let the artist know that it's appreciated -- but sometimes I just don't have the time (or patience) to write out a detailed explanation of why I like the card. That being said, I do definitely enjoy it when others tell me WHY they like my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:56 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Looks like we were thinking the same thing, Happy Heart! I must have been typing at the same time as you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I try to comment on ones that catch my eye unless they have numerous comments already. what's the sense of saying the same thing. with so many uploads a day it's hard just to get through, let alone comment too. even though I love to get comments I understand we all have only so much time in the day and most of us are busy getting chores done, and sneaking in some time to stamp and look at all the beautiful examples. I love this site and want it to continue to grow which means probable less commenting but I think we all are enjoying each others accomplishments. lee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:01 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I have to throw in my 2 cents on this one! I appreciate every comment I receive, whether it says CUTE or something more elaborate like, love the layout and colors or the technique used; I in turn try to leave some comments every day; some are simple like, Adorable, and some are elaborate; depends on the card, on how much time I have, how fast the gallery is or just how the card strikes me, but no matter what, the comment is sincere and I hope people know this and appreciate my comments as I do theirs! Although it's not a contest to see how many comments you can leave (although there have been some challenges for this in the past) I know that there are several people, especially VSN/VSBN hostesses, Rox71 for example, that made a commitment to comment on EVERY SINGLE CARD for VSN or VSBN and I think this is an amazing feat! I know if I even attempted to comment on 1300 cards I'd run out of unique comments pretty quickly! I think we should all just PAY IT FORWARD! If you get comments, make comments! Together, let's STAMP OUT ZERO COMMENT CARDS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Hopefully the decline (in posting comments and thread replies) is only due to it being summer. Maybe in Septemember when we all get back into a routine we will see a pickup in participation.

Help us create a StampinUp Gallery Index
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I can't always think of something different to say. Sometimes a "very pretty" is all I can come up. I do try to say what exactly I like about the card I'm commenting on, but even then, it's usually the same - colors!!

I haven't been doing too good lately, but I have been making a concerted effort to get off the boards and get in the gallery and leave comments. I also don't leave comments on cards with tons already - if it's got more than 1 page of comments, I'll move along to the next one with 1 or 2 or even none.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I really try to comment in the gallery at least once a day, and I usually comment on things that catch my eye. Although I try to come up with something witty and original, that's really hard. I do usually go for things that don't have alot of comments already. I'd rather leave one comment then add to something that already has 30. Just my 2 cents.

Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:39 AM   #12  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by astraea54
I can't always think of something different to say. Sometimes a "very pretty" is all I can come up. I do try to say what exactly I like about the card I'm commenting on, but even then, it's usually the same - colors!!
Ditto to this!! Always a challenge to come up with great original comments.....

Everyone *loves* getting comments, and I believe that there are SO many people uploading cards now that they get drowned out quicker than ever.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sometimes people try to go through and comment on as many cards as possible in a limited time, spreading the love. Honestly, it doesn't bother me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #14  

I'm not commenting on short comments. Any comment is great! One word or a long sentence. My question is solely about "cookie-cutter" comments. I understand time commitments and sometimes it's hard to put to words exactly why you like a card or scrapbook page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:03 PM   #15  
Glitter Guru

It's the weather....I know I haven't been posting or commenting much because I've been going to the pool, bike riding, etc.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:09 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Post Gallery Comments:

I too think each card should have it's own unique comment. When I do have time to look through the gallery I will leave a comment for any card that just stands out for the other and then mentioning what I liked about it. I then go over some of the card with few or no comments and try to add a comment just for encouragement. You can always find something nic to say about it and I just remember what my first cards looked like. I think they deserve the positive comments because they are usually proud of what they made and that's why it;s in the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I believe the number of comments may be down just because of the huge number of uploads everyday. The daily challenge cards have doubled (or tripled) in the last year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most day's I start in the Gallery to post comments.

Sometimes It's more refreshing to start there.

And then jump into the forms section.

I try to post about 10 to 15 comments in the gallery,
And sometimes more..Depending on my mood and the gallery.

Sometime the gallery is slow and can be a pain in the rear.. But it doesn't stop me from posting Comments

It would also be nice if the person that has posted a photo in the gallery to let other's know what Stamps and supplies that they have used.

I might like to Case their card!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Honestly, I feel that beggarrs can't be chosers when it comes to comments. (Aren't we all just hoping someone will notice our work.) "Cookie-cutter" or not someone took the time to at least LOOK at the card and make some comment on it. I agree that detail oriented comments are the ones I like the best, but again... I have a recent card that has 17 comments and 817 views, so I am glad that a few people took the time to comment. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 03:01 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I tend to run out of words to describe how I feel about a card. I generally comment on cards that I really like. If I think a card is totally outstanding I give it the word fabulous. It is kinda lame though but I know I appreciate any comment that I get on my cards so I figure at least I am saying something.

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been a long-time advocate of gallery commenting. I feel if people are enjoying looking at the samples then they should take on the "civic responsibilty" of leaving some comments each day. That being said, Today's Additions are sometimes overwhelming to even get through. I went through a period where I would stare at a card trying to come up with a descriptive comment, feel stumped, and move on. Then I decided that was soooooo wrong! If I enjoy the card, but all I can think of is "cute" or "really pretty" then that's what I say. It's sincere, even if it's not descriptive. If a card has lots of comments and I also really like it, then I say so. Doesn't matter to me how many comments a card has. Everyone loves validation and more validation.

I've also noticed the overall decline in the number of comments in the gallery. It really doesn't make sense to me. Yes the number uploads is way up, but we also have way more members to make comments. If everyone who visits the gallery would just leave 5-10 comments per day there would be more than enough to go around for everyone! OK..ok...I'll climb down off my soap box now...

As to the OP...I guess I'm not understanding what "cookie-cutter" comments are.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 03:25 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jami
As to the OP...I guess I'm not understanding what "cookie-cutter" comments are.
If I'm interpreting it correctly, I guess it means writing a sentence or two that can apply to multiple cards and then just copy-pasting it over and over again.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

i thnk a comment is a comment if they took the time to pull it up and look at it and make a comment even if cut and paste its ok. sometimes its hard to say somethign about a card there are so many awesome cards how can you say somethign original all the time. i feel like i over use awesome card, or very pretty or etc........ but i like the person that made it know I saw it, it caught my eye in the gallery and i like it. of course if its really special i say i added it to my favorites those cards i use for inspiration adn ideas well hopefully someday
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 05:27 PM   #24  

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
If I'm interpreting it correctly, I guess it means writing a sentence or two that can apply to multiple cards and then just copy-pasting it over and over again.
Yes, that is what I meant!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:41 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have noticed a lot of cards with fewer comments. I was not online for severao weeks, and have been trying to catch up by using the "last 2 months" selection of today's additions. I am trying to notice cards with few comments, but it is overwhelming after a while.

As has been noted, daily additions are way up - I used to notice about 350/day, and now it is usually over 600, I think. That is a lot of looks!

As far as comments are concerned, it is easy to run out of ideas and often my thoughts have already been expressed several times. And sometimes, I don't know why I like a card - it simply looks great!

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 PM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathyc
If you get comments, make comments! Together, let's STAMP OUT ZERO COMMENT CARDS!

This is kind of my new mantra. I don't get many comments, so I decided the other day that from now on, when I get a comment, I will go into that person's gallery and make a few comments. So far, I've done it twice.

I don't look in the gallery every day, but when I do, I try to make a comment on each one I open. There's nothing worse than seeing 62 views and 0 comments. I also try to think of something unique to say on each one. Unfortunately, once school starts, I won't have the time any more. (I guess I'm the opposite of people who don't have time to post in the summer.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #27  
PAPER SCAPER

I going to admit that I did the big guilty and used cut and paste on VSN cards then added a little extra for each card if I could. I have lupus (like arthritis and worse) and it's hard some days to use a keyboard, but I took the time to look at every single card that was made for the last two VSN challenge weekends.
I wanted them to know I took the time to look, and with my actions they do. If you didn't get a comment then the system messed up. You go back and look and you'll find some very nice cards that only got a couple comments.

Oh and by the way, I got more than one PM thanking me for taking the time to look and leave a comment. So you can't tell me it didn't make someone happy. I�m not the only one that took the time to look at all the cards so I didn�t do anything that unique.

I don't do cut and paste any other time but it would come in handy when I comment on every card made for the sketch - although I'm sure I miss a few.
But I take the time to type out each comment. Cut and paste isn�t always a real joy to the hands, arm and shoulder either but at least I did it.

Personally, I'll take a single Beautiful, Pretty, Wonderful whatever they want to give and know they took the time to look. I usually spend a lot of time on my cards and leave a nice description for the new people to stamping and it�s nice to know they appreciate the sharing.

So GUILTY AS CHARGED and this next VSN, they will all know I TOOK THE TIME to look and appreciate what they have done.

Sorry this is so long but I it�s everything I wanted to say, and now my fingers hurt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll chime in on this one.
I'm a big commenter in the gallery. I could honestly careless WHO made it or how many comments any card has. If I like it, I comment. Many times I"m skimming the gallery while I'm cooking or in between playing referee for my kids so many times its a "very pretty, Beautiful, I like the colors together, I like your layout, etc. I took the time to pull up the card and I took the time to comment.

Hey...any nice 1 liner is better than nothing ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 08:56 PM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I absolutely LOVE coments on anything I make, so I try to make as many as I can on others work. But I have one rule for myself and that is that every single comment I make has to be true! I agree that every comment should be sincere, but I think any kind word that you can spare is great. I don't think I would mind getting a cookie cutter comment at all if I think that the person really meant it, and really, why would they take the time at all if they didn't? pretty rambling, sorry!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 08:58 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Oh, and I must say I have noticed that Jojot is the sweetest person! So many times I will notice a really nice card with only one or two comments so I will go in to tell tem that I like it, too, and one of the comentors will be Jojot! I so appreciate her and all others who do the same!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 09:17 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane
This is kind of my new mantra. I don't get many comments, so I decided the other day that from now on, when I get a comment, I will go into that person's gallery and make a few comments. So far, I've done it twice.

I don't look in the gallery every day, but when I do, I try to make a comment on each one I open. There's nothing worse than seeing 62 views and 0 comments. I also try to think of something unique to say on each one. Unfortunately, once school starts, I won't have the time any more. (I guess I'm the opposite of people who don't have time to post in the summer.)
good idea. think I will start doing that more too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 10:17 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

i'll take a one word comment over nothing any day!! and i make it a point to leave them every day! i didn't get to be a "mad swapper" by posting cards (i only have 49 in my gallery!)! i do try to leave a different comment on each, but sometimes hard to be "unique" when you have 3 ds's screaming around you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 04:24 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Well I have been trying to leav comments..and I have to admit, as someone who has just started uploading cards, it's a nice feeling to read the nice things people say about your creations.
Here's what I am wondering....sometimes I'll be looking at someone's gallery and suddenly a card jumps out at me...I open it..love it...might want to leave a comment and then realize that this particular card was upload back in 2005. So now I'm thinking...gee...will this perosn even know that I've added a comment? So that's my question....how often and how far back does everyone check for comments in their galleries?

Oh by the way....I usually do comment regardless of date but still I leave wondering if it will ever get noticed :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 05:24 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by deca1964
Well I have been trying to leav comments..and I have to admit, as someone who has just started uploading cards, it's a nice feeling to read the nice things people say about your creations.
Here's what I am wondering....sometimes I'll be looking at someone's gallery and suddenly a card jumps out at me...I open it..love it...might want to leave a comment and then realize that this particular card was upload back in 2005. So now I'm thinking...gee...will this perosn even know that I've added a comment? So that's my question....how often and how far back does everyone check for comments in their galleries?

Oh by the way....I usually do comment regardless of date but still I leave wondering if it will ever get noticed :(
I always set my options so that I get e-mail notification for comments left on my cards. So, if someone leaves a comment on an old card, I get an e-mail notifying me and "run" over to see the comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:03 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

heehee..I thought it was just me as a newbie who did that (comment greedy and all..LOL)
Ok I feel better knowing that others do this too then comments arent "lost" per say
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #36  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trefoil
I always set my options so that I get e-mail notification for comments left on my cards. So, if someone leaves a comment on an old card, I get an e-mail notifying me and "run" over to see the comment.
I do that also, however there have been a few times where site upgrades have caused those notifications to get turned off. I still haven't gone back through my entire gallery to turn them alll back on from the last time it happened (have done some but not all). So you might want to check from time to time to be sure your cards are still set to receive e-mail.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

What's the most views anyone has gotten without any comments in their gallery...??? Sometimes I have alot of views but no comments (or just one comment) I'm starting to get a complex!!! hehehe ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:06 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by trefoil
:-D This is so funny!! And so true....nothing more exciting than seeing in your email that your card has a comment!!

I just started my gallery and since starting it, I realize that I leave more comments now than I did before! Now I know how it feels NOT to have comments on a card....:( So I try and leave as many as I can while browsing the gallery!

~~~Look what I've been up to lately~~~ My Gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:14 AM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

I don't have comment notification but, when you go into your gallery you can choose the options that say Last Comment, Beginning, Descending, and Sort Now. That will bring up ALL the coments on ALL your cards starting with the most recent down to the oldest.
I do this every day, because there are always people who want to know how I did this and that, and I like to get back to them in a timely manner. So people will know if a comment is made on a very old card in their gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 07:16 AM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

I also wanted to remind people that un-registered viewers cannot leave comments. That is why there are cards with a lot of views and few or no comments.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes