Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Coloring Question (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/coloring-question-539370/)

MelDeLlanos 10-04-2011 06:35 PM

Coloring Question

I haven't given in to the Copic obsession (yet!), so I color with my prismas and use the OMS technique. I have started playing with adding more color, and blending, etc.

I have seen a lot of highlighting done with white... hair & cheeks especially. Please tell me you know what I mean?! LOL

Anyway, should I be highlighting with white ink too, or is using pencils and blending better on its own?

dini 10-04-2011 09:31 PM

Hehe!! There are no rules. Do you have a white gel pen? Try it and see if you like the effect. Sometimes you want something more striking than white pencil. For a real standout highlight, I sometimes use white acrylic paint and dot it on with a stylus.

SweetMissDaisy 10-05-2011 06:29 AM

Dina is right, there are no rules! :)

I like to add highlights by actually not adding color to some areas, leaving the white of the paper to be my highlight.

Or, sometimes I use a stardust sparkle pen to add just a bit of sparkly highlights to areas I want to stand out as "brighter" than others. Some to look for are Sakura Gelly Roll, atyou Spica, and even Marvy puts out a nice line of fine glitter pens called Twinklette's that lay down lots of great super ultra fine sparkle!

And, I also sometimes use a white gel pen, as Dina suggests.

Be a rebel; try lots of ways to color your images! :)

deborahmegan 10-05-2011 12:47 PM

I have seen it done two different ways. I've only tried one. That's the inkssentials white pen. That's one that works well and was recommended to me. The other way is with white paint and a very thin paint brush. I haven't tried this one, but have thought about it a number of times. It'll take drying time, but it may be worth the extra effort!

dini 10-05-2011 08:05 PM

If you just want to use pencils and want your white area to stand out, you can try coloring the white areas first instead of coloring them over the top - does that make sense?

Cook22 10-05-2011 09:53 PM

Couldn't you use art masking fluid too? I know it's designed for watercolour but I don't see why it wouldn't work with pencils. I often use it for larger areas like clouds and then rub it off after I've finished colouring.

dini 10-05-2011 10:26 PM

Theoretically it should work... just not sure how it would hold up to pencil strokes over it.

stamper1996 10-06-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisy (Post 18794745)

I like to add highlights by actually not adding color to some areas, leaving the white of the paper to be my highlight.

I do this too. When coloring with the pencil, leave white space on the paper. When you blend, blend the edges of the color into the white/paper area. You can always go back and add more color if it's too white.