Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coasters: What did I do wrong?

So, after finally deciding that the tiles everyone is using in the gallery for coasters do sort of absorb water (I melted an ice cube on them, and the 4 types of coasters we have in the house. They absorbed less water than the other coasters, and towards the end the water dripped off them from a channel- no drippage on any of the others- but good enough performance for a coke) I decided that I would make my tiles tonight.

So I stamped my images using Stazon, and the stazon would bleed and become blurry. It didn't happen on every tile, but almost all of the tiles I made have at least one very blurry spot. (I did a penguin in the center in black- only a few penguins are blurry, and snowflakes on the outside in azure- most of the snowflakes are blurry)

Why are they blurring like this? Are the pads too juicy? Do the tiles hate me.

I'm devestated. I really really wanted to make tiles as gifts. I feel like crying.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

DId you heat set them? I put them in the oven for a while at 200. (nothing scientific--i just remember someone saying this was important. I also spritzed mine with an acryllic sealer (notice spritzed). They still absorbed a reasonalble ammount of sweating/moisture. These two processes seemed to to the trick. (I do not know if just one would have--I was under a time and materials constraint before a craft show).

THis is just my experience.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I think perhaps the ink pads were too juicy....I'm sorry this happened to you. I usually have one or two that just didn't stamp right before I get the right amount of pressure down. Too little, not a complete image, too much and it's smudged.

I think you can clean them off if you get it quickly. Also, try soaking one overnight in some bleach. I know I got staz on off of some dominoes that I ruined that way. Lay it face down in just enough to soak the stamped image.

Good luck Jessica!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #4  

Oh! I remember why I spritzed the things with the sealer (sorry--I am blonde and this was a year ago) I colored the images with sharpies and I didn't want the StazOn outline to run (as it will if the two inks touch).

Sorry, brain fart.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 02:46 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Well these all seemed to stamp right, and then when I'd go back to them a few minutes later they would be feathered out. I had planned to heat setting in the oven them when the entire coaster was finished- but these feathered in between stamping the middle image and the outside image. I wouldn't have had time to get them upstairs to the oven.

I am going to try again, and between each stamp heat it with my heat gun, to see if I can prevent the feathering. And only do one and leave it for about 30 minutes to make sure it doesn't feather. If that doesn't work I'm going to try stamping off onto paper before putting it on the tile, and also heat setting with a heat gun in between.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 02:47 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I haven't used Staz-on... but I have used chalk inks with great success. I also sprayed them afterwards with a Matte finish sealer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skittl1321
Well these all seemed to stamp right, and then when I'd go back to them a few minutes later they would be feathered out. I had planned to heat setting in the oven them when the entire coaster was finished- but these feathered in between stamping the middle image and the outside image. I wouldn't have had time to get them upstairs to the oven.

I am going to try again, and between each stamp heat it with my heat gun, to see if I can prevent the feathering. And only do one and leave it for about 30 minutes to make sure it doesn't feather. If that doesn't work I'm going to try stamping off onto paper before putting it on the tile, and also heat setting with a heat gun in between.
The heat setting will help--keep us posted on your experiences. AND don't forget to post your final product!!

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I'm thinking you may have used to much ink. I've done several sets of these with my stazon black pad and have not had that problem. Maybe you need to stamp off once before stamping on the tile if your ink pad is really that juicy. HTH!!

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 05:40 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Were your tiles wet from cleaning them? That could be a problem. They have to be absolutely dry. Also...our Palettes work beautifully too!
TAC Demonstrator #1484/Manager, Smilin' Stampers
My TAC Site My BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 06:00 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Are there instructions out there for doing this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

yes, make sure your tiles are completely dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Gosh, I've done countless tiles and never had this issue. I would tend to agree that your tile could have had some moisture left in it after your melting experiment. I usually take mine out of the box, wipe the dust off on my jeans and start stamping. If you have any other tiles, perhaps a warm oven would be a good way to remove the rest of the moisture.

If the stazon pads are juicy, be light handed in applying ink to the stamp.

I NEVER bake my tiles to set the ink. I've even read on previous posts that it can break down the stazon ink. The whole baking thing started when there was only basic pigment ink on the market and you needed it to be really dry when you started the coloring in step with chalks and or blender pen/chalks. It helped eliminate smudging. Stazon removes any need for heat setting. You should not use any sealer on your tiles if you want them to absorb moisture. If you use chalks, you must seal or the color disappears, but tile absorbancy disappears as well.

If you need to color the image in, you can use the SU water proof journaling markers (not sure if those are still in the catalog) or the EK success memory pencils. The EK pencils are permanent, fade proof, waterproof. You can use stazon/su journal markers/ek pencils and have wonderfully colorful tiles that are absorbant. This is the only type tile I will send to humid destinations.

Good luck. HTH
Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Oops. Also I've read that the hybrid inks like Brilliance and pigment chalk inks work on tiles. I've just never tried them as of yet.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 02:14 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianerh
Were your tiles wet from cleaning them? That could be a problem. They have to be absolutely dry. Also...our Palettes work beautifully too!
Totally dry!
Maybe in my next batch I'll try using Noir instead of Stazon Black. Then I'd have to order colors, because I still don't have any.

Thanks for the tip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaperRapt
Gosh, I've done countless tiles and never had this issue. I would tend to agree that your tile could have had some moisture left in it after your melting experiment.
I wasn't clear in the first post (sorry) that "experiment" was done on a different tile that had a weird spot on it, so it wasn't going to be used in the set. (Since 9 come in the box, and I only needed

So the 8 I used were all dry.

I don't have money to go buy more now, but thanks everyone for the tips for when I can get more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Same blurring problem with Stazon

I see the original post on this thread was in 2006. I know exactly what she is talking about, but I don't know the answer! Just today I stamped various images to make a collage on one of the tumbled tiles from Home Depot, which had been sitting on my table for quite some time. It turned out perfectly. Soooooo, I opened up 3 more packages of tiles and proceeded to stamp. Well, the crisp images immediately started to soften and blur....this happened with all colors except black. I uploaded a picture of the "work in progress" to my gallery. It is very evident that the red is blurry, and the black is nice and crisp. All I could think of was that perhaps the tiles have some moisture in them when they are shrinkwrapped? It is just maddening. I have experimented with lots of inks and several types of coasters, and determined that Stazon used on the tiles from Home Depot works perfectly....until today!!!! I even thought about the juiciness of the ink pads, but the original coaster that had been sitting on my table forever didn't really have this problem so it must not be the inkpads. Note, I did dust the coasters before stamping, just like I always do. Has anyone else had this happen and know how to deal with it? I am stumped! I see some people suggested heat setting, but this "ink blurring" happens immediately...there is no stopping it. I have never had to heat set the Chiaro tumbled tiles that have been stamped with Stazon, and the images I stamped in the past always dried just as crisp as they were put down.... Any insight is appreciated!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I've got no real answer just an idea. Since poster "itzann" was able to get a crisp image on a tile she had left out on her table perhaps a period of "air drying" is needed after removing the tiles from the package? Just open them up and set them out in a sunny spot for a day then stamp the next day?

Of course, since these tiles are supposed to absorb the moisture from a cold drink, perhaps "sucking in" the ink and spreading it out through the stone is just them doing what they are supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Likes