Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice regarding Pinterest & Blogging

Hi Ladies,

I'm turning to you for advice as I am very upset at the moment. For years I have been watermarking my creations (this is nothing new). A while back I purchased a digital template and created a box. I added embellishments, ribbon and glitter to it. When I got ready to post the creation I watermarked the photos I had taken of the box (something I always do since it is my photo). In the blog post I clearly stated this is a template and included the name and link of where I bought the item on Etsy.

Now when people "pin" this item it shows the source as my blog and not the lady who made the template. This has become an issue now and she would like me to have the "pins" taken down. I have no control over what people pin off of my blog. How do I contact Pinterest about this?

If I remove the blog post I don't believe it will remove the "pins" that have already been created, correct?

As crafters are we not allowed to post digital items on our blogs? I have created many handmade cards using digital scrapbooking paper and I always list at the bottom of my posts a supply list of everything I have used with the company name. This includes, ink, paper, ribbons, brads, glitter, etc. Some people don't even do that as it can be very time consuming.

What happens if I want to photograph a tablescape and I can't remember what store I bought my tablecloth from or where I picked up a teacup? Is that going to be an issue too?

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Please feel free to look around on my blog and tell me if I am doing anything wrong?

Thank you!

Donna
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:38 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

I don't think you did anything wrong. You purchased the template AND linked back to where you go it. The lady who is harassing you should actually be happy - she's getting free advertising. People who see and like your box, will go to your blog where they learn about her Etsy store - then they can go and buy it for themselves... easy, right? I really don't understand what her issue is...
Btw. Your blog is lovely - where did you get the template? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by OcicatView Post
A while back I purchased a digital template and created a box. I added embellishments, ribbon and glitter to it. In the blog post I clearly stated this is a template and included the name and link of where I bought the item on Etsy.

Now when people "pin" this item it shows the source as my blog and not the lady who made the template. This has become an issue now and she would like me to have the "pins" taken down. I have no control over what people pin off of my blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 03:47 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Donna,

I looked at the Pyramid Gift Boxes on your blog (assuming this is the item in question). It's obvious that not only did you not intend any harm to the Etsy seller, but you were actually trying to direct new customers to her site. However, I also understand the Etsy seller's perspective. Unlike a table scape where your artistry has creatively transformed multiple pieces into a new whole (or one of your cards made from multiple tools and images, and where you have made many layout and other artistic choices), the original template from the Etsy seller included not only the shape of the box, but also all of the artwork. Any transformation you made other than the simple assembly is very minor. Therefore, a photo of the box with your name might make someone think that the artwork on the box was your design, even if you did not intend to communicate this. This misinterpretation is much more likely, if one sees the item pinned and never visits your blog, where you very conscientiously give credit to the source. So even though you have done nothing wrong, it still has created some distress for the Etsy seller.

Now for the solution --
According to Pinterest's website you can disallow pinning on individual photographs. I recommend doing this to any photograph with a project using one of the Etsy seller's templates. You can find the code here:

https://en.help.pinterest.com/entrie...from-your-site

You can also file a request with Pinterest to remove all instances of the pinned images. Here are the instructions:

Pinterest Copyright Policies

You should also visit these two pages, which have a wealth of information from someone who made a successful takedown request to Pinterest:

MAKING A MARK: How Pinterest removed all my pinned images in minutes (#1)

MAKING A MARK: Takedown: How Pinterest moved fast to remove my pinned images (#2)

The author explains how to find the pinned images, and posts a copy of her takedown letter to Pinterest.

Regardless of how Pinterest acts, I think the Etsy seller will be relieved to see that you have acted in good faith and made every attempt possible to comply with her request.

Ironically, it looks like the Etsy seller used historic images to create her template. I would be very surprised, if she had drawn/painted those images herself. As artists and crafters we are always inspired by sources outside ourselves.

Hope this information was helpful.

Good luck!
Elizabeth

Last edited by Hoboken Paper; 11-09-2013 at 03:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Elizabeth, that was very useful information. thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So, I checked out your blog (beautiful!) and the pyramid box post in particular and I don't see how you did anything wrong. You are showing the creation you made with the template and not providing the template in any form. Its not a unique shape and anyone can create a template to make a pyramid box. I'm a digital designer and I understand some of what this person might be thinking, but I also think they have lost their marbles thinking they can control what people do with the finished products from templates they have sold. Its like a sewing pattern company or knitting pattern company telling you can't publicly show pictures of your finished garments. Absurd!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you ladies for your feedback! I truly appreciate it and I never wanted to cause any harm. I always strive to give credit where credit is due; whether it be a stamping company, digital images, or embellishments.

My blog was designed by Karen Valentine .
Reply With Quote Likes