Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Card Horror Stories

What is the worst thing that has ever happened to your cards, weather something that was said about them or a horror story.

A few years ago, my friend's daughter just had her 4th birthday and I made a card for her and brought it over to her house. My friend ohh'd and ahh'd over it and so did her daughter. And placed it on the dinning room table. Then her two year old came in to the room, and held it for a second then ripped the front off of the card (a rather large piece). I gasped and was pretty horrified, that card had taken the better part of 3 days to cut out, color and make. My friend calmly walks over takes the pieces from him and slaps it back together, and puts it up in a higher spot. I was mortified and sick, not only did she not say anything about it, she slapped it back on the card wrong. The hardest part about all of this, is that she's the one encouraging me to make more cards but I don't think she realizes the hard work, money and effort that goes into them :( I haven't given her a card either since, I just can't bear to think about what happens to them when I'm gone... :(

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't really call this a horror story, but just a comment that really got under my skin one time.

Last year, for Halloween, I made treat bags for Emma's class. They were just clear plastic bags filled with candy that I had made bag toppers for.

Took them to her class Halloween party and at the end when Emma was passing them out to all the kids, one of the Moms picks one of them up, looks it over and says "Well, aren't you handy.".

It might not have stricken me if she had anything else AT ALL to say, but she didn't. And the tone in her voice just had this air of snottiness to it, that implied that crafty things are beneath her.

All I could think was I'm "handy"? Like what...a screwdriver? I laugh about it now, but that one comment just crawled right under my skin, lol!

It will not keep me from making anything for her class or anyone else. The kids loved them!

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Oh wow I probably would have cried! I am sorry someone did that to your hard work!

These aren�t really card horror stories but creation horror stories. Two come to mind. I bought these plain journal/sketch book type things about 4 years ago and made books for my friend�s kids for Christmas. I worked on them for 4 months personalizing each one. Three of them. I did the covers...various ramdom pages...for milestone b-days, holidays, school events...putting in stamped images, quotes�little envies with pull out journaling tags...lot�s of painstakingly colored images..you get the point. They have NO idea where they are now. NONE. It hurts my feelings�a lot and I won�t make anything for them again. (Well except for the graduation announcements I am being paid to make 
My other tragic event happened in Art school. We had to do a painting that was exhibited for the faculty to critique...not a big deal right? WRONG. They took X-acto knives and CUT OUT THE PORTIONS THEY LIKED. Yes, you read that right. They took a knife to the painting. I have never been so upset in my life.
After that...not much surprises me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Took them to her class Halloween party and at the end when Emma was passing them out to all the kids, one of the Moms picks one of them up, looks it over and says "Well, aren't you handy.".

Ouch! That would get under my skin too :( It's comments like those that can break our crafting hearts. But I know what your saying!
We happen to be zoned for the best school in our valley, so my daughter goes to this school where you have to be well dressed. I made a card once for a teacher and she never thanked me and I'm sure it was pitched because it was handmade. This years teacher has kinda the same attitude *sigh* :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only true horror story was last year's Christmas cards. I was using vellum, and tried a new type of vellum adhesive that's supposed to be truly invisible. Well, it was invisible but also didn't work, and most of my cards fell apart. How embarrassing!

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Several years ago, after making cards for my sister and her kids, she mentioned she thought people who didn't buy cards were "cheap." I haven't gave any of them a card of any kind since! When my oldest niece (same sister) had her first baby, I made a quilt - never got a thank you of any kind - no quilt for subsequent baby!

I have lots of people in my life who appreciate (and let me know) my creations. I stick to giving to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

There's another thread on this board kind of about the same topic. More to the point of "Does it bother you what happens to your cards once they've been mailed/presented/given as a gift?" type of discussion. Very interesting comments there. I'll go try to find it to point you all in that direction as well.

I have a story...not really horror, more a sad tale. I've been crafting over 20 years and when I first started, stamping was much simpler then. A friend of mine submitted some cards I had mailed to her to Somerset Studio! Lo and behold, they actually published a few. Then they called and asked if I would be part of a feature they used to have called, "With One Stamp." Various artists around the country were all given the same stamp and asked to create something with it. They printed one of my pieces for that as well. I had all my samples tucked inside the issues they had been printed in. I think there were five in all. In August of 2007 our city endured a 100 year flood and I lost all my Somerset Studio issues and my samples. I was more upset about that loss than I was our furniture and cars! LOL...just goes to show you where MY priorities are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 09:21 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)

My cardmaking tends to be CAS. I also tend to LOVE humous images (Think Tickled Pink or Shellebrate, Crab and Co etc) I belong to a stamping group. When I make a card using these type if images, one of the women always tells me how she "Doesn't DO cutesy" Something about her tone bugs me. When I do a CAS card another member tells me how she always puts ALOT of work into HER cards. Does it hurt my feelings sure it does. Why do I focus on those comments and not the positive feedback I get from everyone else that LOVES my cards. Don't get me wrong I really like those 2 ladies and enjoy spending time with them but there's something about those 2 comments that bugs me
I did have something happen years ago that makes me really think about who gets my Handmade gifts. I used to do Ceramics and made a girl I worked with a Santa figurine. I worked hours and hours on it and he was just darling!
She opened it and said "ceramics, a nice CHEAP gift" I was CRUSHED.
Yes the greenware was not expensive but my time certainly was. I don't give anything hand made to anyone I don't think will appreciate it period! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

no matter how many times we discuss this it never fails to shock me how RUDE and INSENSITIVE some people can be when it comes to receiving a handmade gift! It's even more shocking when the bad attitude comes from a family member.

Were these people raised by wild hyenas? Were they not taught any manners? First and foremost it's a GIFT....when you receive a gift you say "thank you". Secondly, if a person takes the time to MAKE you something, the gift itself, the card or both , recognize how much MORE THOUGHT went into it than simply dashing into Hallmark and then Target to spend a few bucks!

And if these simple steps are beyond you, remember what my Mom always taught me; "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

*sigh* I know, I'm preaching to the choir here. I don't have any horror stories to tell. Mostly my handmade cards get no comments at all. Or they simply ask "did you make this"? When I answer "yes"....I may get a nod or a polite smile but that's it. Only one dear friend as recently gushed over a card I made for her. She will continue to get handmade cards throughout the year!

In the end I try to remember I make the cards because I enjoy it. I need to let go of any expectation of thanks or praise simply because it's handmade. If I ever hear a negative comment regarding the fact that handmade cards are"cheap"...I'll probably have to say something along the lines of " that just shows your IGNORANCE, the supplies for this craft are expensive. I'll remember to buy your cards at the Dollar Store from now on." Won't win me any friends but then again I do have a bit of a temper if pushed too far. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Oh wow I probably would have cried! I am sorry someone did that to your hard work!

These aren�t really card horror stories but creation horror stories. Two come to mind. I bought these plain journal/sketch book type things about 4 years ago and made books for my friend�s kids for Christmas. I worked on them for 4 months personalizing each one. Three of them. I did the covers...various ramdom pages...for milestone b-days, holidays, school events...putting in stamped images, quotes�little envies with pull out journaling tags...lot�s of painstakingly colored images..you get the point. They have NO idea where they are now. NONE. It hurts my feelings�a lot and I won�t make anything for them again. (Well except for the graduation announcements I am being paid to make 
My other tragic event happened in Art school. We had to do a painting that was exhibited for the faculty to critique...not a big deal right? WRONG. They took X-acto knives and CUT OUT THE PORTIONS THEY LIKED. Yes, you read that right. They took a knife to the painting. I have never been so upset in my life.
After that...not much surprises me...
OMG!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 01:32 PM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeechelleView Post
I wouldn't really call this a horror story, but just a comment that really got under my skin one time.

Last year, for Halloween, I made treat bags for Emma's class. They were just clear plastic bags filled with candy that I had made bag toppers for.

It might not have stricken me if she had anything else AT ALL to say, but she didn't. And the tone in her voice just had this air of snottiness to it, that implied that crafty things are beneath her.

All I could think was I'm "handy"? Like what...a screwdriver? I laugh about it now, but that one comment just crawled right under my skin, lol!

It will not keep me from making anything for her class or anyone else. The kids loved them!
I'd say, "Why, yes. I AM handy. Thanks so much for noticing!" with a really bright smile. Snotty people just never know how to respond to perkiness; makes them feel really wrong-footed. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:14 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years ago I read a post about someone who had worked very hard on invitations or announcements of some kind - I think they were graduation announcements - anyway she saw the announcement she had worked so hard on in the neighbors trash and it really hurt her feelings. I have thought a lot about that post and decided that I would never send a casual friend or neighbor something that had required so much work that I would be sorry to see it thrown away. Now I assume that everything I send will someday hit the trashcan. I know that certain people appreciate the work that goes into some of my creations - and they do get the best cards.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
no matter how many times we discuss this it never fails to shock me how RUDE and INSENSITIVE some people can be when it comes to receiving a handmade gift! It's even more shocking when the bad attitude comes from a family member.

Were these people raised by wild hyenas? Were they not taught any manners? First and foremost it's a GIFT....when you receive a gift you say "thank you". Secondly, if a person takes the time to MAKE you something, the gift itself, the card or both , recognize how much MORE THOUGHT went into it than simply dashing into Hallmark and then Target to spend a few bucks!

And if these simple steps are beyond you, remember what my Mom always taught me; "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

*sigh* I know, I'm preaching to the choir here. I don't have any horror stories to tell. Mostly my handmade cards get no comments at all. Or they simply ask "did you make this"? When I answer "yes"....I may get a nod or a polite smile but that's it. Only one dear friend as recently gushed over a card I made for her. She will continue to get handmade cards throughout the year!

In the end I try to remember I make the cards because I enjoy it. I need to let go of any expectation of thanks or praise simply because it's handmade. If I ever hear a negative comment regarding the fact that handmade cards are"cheap"...I'll probably have to say something along the lines of " that just shows your IGNORANCE, the supplies for this craft are expensive. I'll remember to buy your cards at the Dollar Store from now on." Won't win me any friends but then again I do have a bit of a temper if pushed too far. :-)
just wanted to say that I love your "wild hyena" reference! Bet those hyenas have better manners!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Found the thread that has some additional good views on this topic.

does it bother anyone else.... by almightyhope at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this works. Never linked a thread before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent hours making an anniversary card for the hubs...put it with his gift in the back of the van and headed up north for our romantic weekend. Not expecting snow that night, without thinking, we left the back window flaps open and when we came out in the morning there was snow in the trunk and the card was soaked. I had tears in my eyes when I pulled it out and when he saw me pull the envelope out, I could see in his eyes that his heart sank as well. A little bit of the ink ran but because of the design on the card it kind of worked out Horror turned happy but made my heart skip a beat all the same!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 04:10 PM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Cards thrown away

My mother's best friend told me that I didn't need to spend so much time on her Christmas cards because she throws them away by February. Later she did say that she keeps mine but once I did a special card for her after my mother died for mothers day and she sent it back and told me to send it back next year.
I do still send her handmade cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #17  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think this is a tender subject for all of us who do papercrafts, and pretty much anyone who does any type of art.

My worst horror story doesn't involve a card perse, but my entire studio. Back in May of 2006, we had a fire in the basement of our home. The largest portion of the fire happened directly below my studio and I lost gobs of product to the smoke damage. Then the very next year, we had a flood in our basement (where my studio was) that took another large chunk of my supplies. Fire....flood...what's next? Earthquake?

On a happier note, my mother-in-law is probably one of my biggest fans. She keeps every card I send to her and during Christmas, she displays all the cards on a desk in her livingroom. I love that woman!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I am so sorry to hear that some of you have had to go through these awful things. I have personally never had anything like this happen to me, in fact my father-in-law has told me that of all the cards he gets each year mine are the only ones that he keeps, the rest he throws out, with the exception of some of the cards his wife gives him. I think that most people who make rude comments or throws out handmade cards have no respect for others or themselves and they don't care that there comments or actions hurts others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

To the OP: It's possible that the mother didn't want the 4 yr old to get all upset because 2 yr old tore her card, so she slapped it back together & put it high up. Under the circumstances I think she probably did what she thought was the right thing. When I give cards to children I expect them to be taken apart. Children have no idea what's entailed in the making of a card. They just love to pick off the sparkly things, etc.
I haven't had anyone make any comments to me about my cards being handmade, but if they did - I think I'd make up a little card that listed the costs of making the card. Kind of like those "made by me" - priceless deals. Maybe if they realized the amount of time expended it might make them rethink their comments. And I agree with LateBlossom - smiling perkiness blows anyones mind.
My horror story would be when I was making a stampscape type of card. I kept adding things trying to make it better. By the time I was finished my friend and I were laughing hysterically because it was so junked up and cluttered. I still keep that on my cork board to remind me of a very important rule in art - if you think it needs one more thing, stop! It's just fine the way it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I have had a couple of shocking moments. I worked hard on a pretty pinwheel tube for my 2 year-old neice. I fully expected the mother (who sews and crochets so I expected some respect from a fellow hand-crafter) to show her the gift, give her some candy from the tube and put it out of reach, but no.. She gave it to her daughter and watched her systematically destroy the whole thing including shaking out all of the candy all over the room. Yah... They will get store-bought cards this year to really drive home the point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
My cardmaking tends to be CAS. I also tend to LOVE humous images (Think Tickled Pink or Shellebrate, Crab and Co etc) I belong to a stamping group. When I make a card using these type if images, one of the women always tells me how she "Doesn't DO cutesy" Something about her tone bugs me. When I do a CAS card another member tells me how she always puts ALOT of work into HER cards. Does it hurt my feelings sure it does. Why do I focus on those comments and not the positive feedback I get from everyone else that LOVES my cards. Don't get me wrong I really like those 2 ladies and enjoy spending time with them but there's something about those 2 comments that bugs me
I would have said "I don't do rude!" ROFL!

My Mom was one of the "stars" in the 1980's for crafting. I always grew up around crafts but my Mother never taught me to craft and I was not allowed to touch her things. I am not complaining that's the way it was in the home. Growing up I thought it was because she was always so busy. My Dad, who also was a crafter, did teach me things.

Growing up I always heard words about my Mom like elitist, hates competition, and expects undue praise. Of course I am a little girl so I really don't get it.

My Father died and my Mom got out of crafting. Complained about it constantly. I took up needlework after high school. My Mom made the comment "If I could do needlework I would be something." OK? What something would you be?

She started making me cards. I loved my cards and kept them all. Then one day she asks my five year old son to ask me to give her cards back!!!! Yes, you read that right. Can you believe that? I confronted her about it and she blew it off. Then she said she would like her cards back because she wants to show her friends the work she does. I thought she meant borrow them. You sure as heck don't ask a five year old to get some cards back. I gave her cards back and she kept them. Come to find out she makes cards and lets you borrow them. OMG! Mouth dropped open.

After the loss of my little girl my friends got me hooked on paper crafting. This is my guy friends. They thought it would help me mourn. I was always manipulating paper and making things when I was hanging out with my friends. I took up stamping. My Mom is not a stamper. Then I got into die cutting. My Mom scoffs at die cutting. Why do you need expensive machines for something you can do with a pair of scissors?

Every little thing I made her she critiqued and made some snarky comment about it. One of her friends commented on a card I made my Mom openly said "Well, she will never be as good as me."

Wow! It's not a competition! Then she tells me she never taught me to craft because I am only trying to compete with her. Trust me I am not competitive. I am like a little hippie girl who likes to do her own thing.

I decided reverse psychology would work. I thought she felt bad she wasn't in the limelight any more. I started teaching her techniques. I bought her expensive tools. I gave her things. Kid you not she started coming over to my home and taking my craft supplies. She even got my son to steal for her. I even had my craft room destroyed about a year back because of her. I lost a lot because of that.

This Spring & Summer when all the Cricut hoopla broke I started to receive threats. I even received broken cartridges in the mail from one of the Cricut haters. Come to find out last week, actually, that was also due to my Mother and one of her relatives. Can we say hateful and jealous? That incident caused me a lot of stress and strain.

Can you said I have had it? I won't even speak to her any more. I have such a forgiving heart. It's just completely moronic that I do. My heart is not as forgiving any more.

I hope none of you have a story like that or even worse a close relative.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I'm so sorry you had to go through this, I can't even imagine how awful it must be. But it sounds like you have a very good attitude about it and don't let it get you down.
Keep crafting with pride!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
This Spring & Summer when all the Cricut hoopla broke I started to receive threats. I even received broken cartridges in the mail from one of the Cricut haters. Come to find out last week, actually, that was also due to my Mother and one of her relatives. Can we say hateful and jealous? That incident caused me a lot of stress and strain.

Can you said I have had it? I won't even speak to her any more. I have such a forgiving heart. It's just completely moronic that I do. My heart is not as forgiving any more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by havonfamilyView Post
I made a card once for a teacher and she never thanked me and I'm sure it was pitched because it was handmade. This years teacher has kinda the same attitude *sigh* :(
I wouldn't have expected a thank you card for a card. It doesn't mean she didn't appreciate it. As a teacher, you get TONS of cards at Christmas.

ETA: I guess I haven't really ever given it much thoguht as to what happens to cards when I give them. I really don't care. I am not a keeper of stuff, so I don't keep cards and the like that people give me. If I can't use it, I don't really keep it.

Last edited by weims; 12-04-2011 at 07:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 06:29 AM   #24  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

My Mom was one of the "stars" in the 1980's for crafting. I always grew up around crafts but my Mother never taught me to craft and I was not allowed to touch her things. I am not complaining that's the way it was in the home. Growing up I thought it was because she was always so busy. My Dad, who also was a crafter, did teach me things.

Growing up I always heard words about my Mom like elitist, hates competition, and expects undue praise. Of course I am a little girl so I really don't get it.

My Father died and my Mom got out of crafting. Complained about it constantly. I took up needlework after high school. My Mom made the comment "If I could do needlework I would be something." OK? What something would you be?

She started making me cards. I loved my cards and kept them all. Then one day she asks my five year old son to ask me to give her cards back!!!! Yes, you read that right. Can you believe that? I confronted her about it and she blew it off. Then she said she would like her cards back because she wants to show her friends the work she does. I thought she meant borrow them. You sure as heck don't ask a five year old to get some cards back. I gave her cards back and she kept them. Come to find out she makes cards and lets you borrow them. OMG! Mouth dropped open.

After the loss of my little girl my friends got me hooked on paper crafting. This is my guy friends. They thought it would help me mourn. I was always manipulating paper and making things when I was hanging out with my friends. I took up stamping. My Mom is not a stamper. Then I got into die cutting. My Mom scoffs at die cutting. Why do you need expensive machines for something you can do with a pair of scissors?

Every little thing I made her she critiqued and made some snarky comment about it. One of her friends commented on a card I made my Mom openly said "Well, she will never be as good as me."

Wow! It's not a competition! Then she tells me she never taught me to craft because I am only trying to compete with her. Trust me I am not competitive. I am like a little hippie girl who likes to do her own thing.

I decided reverse psychology would work. I thought she felt bad she wasn't in the limelight any more. I started teaching her techniques. I bought her expensive tools. I gave her things. Kid you not she started coming over to my home and taking my craft supplies. She even got my son to steal for her. I even had my craft room destroyed about a year back because of her. I lost a lot because of that.

Holy cow! All because of crafting? Wow...I am so sorry for all that you went/are still going through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
I wouldn't have expected a thank you card for a card. It doesn't mean she didn't appreciate it. As a teacher, you get TONS of cards at Christmas.
No, I wasn't expecting a thank you card for the card, I was only upset there was no verbal thank you or any appreciation at all. It's a manners thing, for me

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I feel so bad for all of you and what has happened! I can't believe how heartless some of those people are. Crafting for me was an outlet from an unhappy part of my life at the time, so I poured my heart and soul into my cards, as well as you Ladies do too. So it breaks my heart to hear of others comments or actions about our crafting/cards.

I have read some of the other thread that was mentioned and I wasn't trying to hijack it, I was just curious how many of us seem to have stories about the receivers of cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #27  
Glitter Queen

I've had it with my ex-boyfriend. see, weeks before our first anniversary I already started to make card for him. He always knew i'm into it. But then our anniversary came and I gave it to him before we ate dinner at a resto.He appreciated it, good for me. He put in the table beside his plate and guess what? It got spilled with wine..I didn't remember what exactly happened, all I know is that I felt like being soaked in a cold water.. It was really horrible feeling I don't want to remember anymore..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

Last week my sister was married. I made favors for the reception- a pillow box with their monogram stamped and glittered. I spent a good deal of time on them. My DD was all in a huff as she said she found one on the floor of the ladies room. I thanked her for her concern, but told her that once I gave them away it is up to those individuals to do what they want with them. The important part of this story is that my daughter showed an appreciation for the time and love that went into the gift. Much more important than the fact that some people threw them on the floor or in the trash. My sister (the bride) LOVED them, too.

Also had a story where I made gift card holders for Christmas,as I was only giving money to my nieces and nephews. My DH asked for one for a gift card for his mom. On Christmas she literally tore the holder in half to get at the gift card. I cringed when I saw this and she asked me what was wrong! Note to self- No further hand-made items for the MIL.

As a long time crafter I have already learned who is worthy and will appreciate something hand-crafted. Since the gift is for the receiver, why give something not appreciated? For those who oooh and aaahh, they stay on the good list for the future. Cheers to all for a happy and not too busy holiday season.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Not a recipient horror story but once I took a heartfelt sympathy card to the post office to mail internationally to a dear stamping friend whose husband had died... I had worked over it for a couple of hours, since it was going to a stamper. I watched in absolute horror as the post office employee stapled the customs form right through the envelope and through my card.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 03:20 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

For my mom's birthday this year, I gave her 20 of my favourite cards. No sooner did she open the package, she said, "let's try to sell these for you." Clearly, she wasn't wanting to use them herself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

I made a semi pop up card for my brother's 50th birthday and when he opened it he wasn't excited he was more happy about the storebought funny card. It took me several hours to create that card because I wanted it to be perfect and he wasn't even the least bit excited about it.

His wife one year I made her coasters from tile and they were very nice had the cork on the bottom so not to ruin a table. I have yet to see her use them. I guarantee they are in a drawer somewhere tied with the ribbon. I would at least bring them out once when I came over to show you appreciated them. I gave some to my dad too and I know he uses his. Just makes me mad sometimes when people don't show appreciation for something handmade from the heart.
�No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.� Eleanor Roosevelt

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

The closest I have to a horror story was to see that the cards that I had made over time for the friend that got me started, wind up as so much "junk" in her craftroom. They were literally piled up in the corner with other stuff like discarded scraps. I accidentally came across them when I was invited to a party she threw and she gave me a tour of the room.

Last edited by jodi r.; 12-04-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

Default QUESTION...

A question for those of you who are upset that your cards aren't kept by the recipients=> How long do you expect the cards to be kept? A year? Two years? Forever? I keep cards I'm given by my cardmaking/scrapbooking friends if they are cards I want to 'scraplift' etc, but other than that - not really. How much stuff do you hang on to before you're starring on an episode of Hoarders?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

hmm - guess my horror story is when I gave my youngest cousin a personalized journal and pen. At first she didn't like it but all her party friends did so she did, then the next time I saw it, it was soaking wet on the patio furniture. I'm pretty sure my aunt has thrown it out, she isn't a Hoarder. I was disappointed because I knew my cousin loved to write stories. The good thing is she seems to have developed a love of "journals" to write in, so I guess although my handcrafted version may have died a needless death is gave birth to the idea of her having a place to keep her writing and drawings.

I was more disappointed just last week when I gave my 15 year old cousin his birthday card and he slunk off to his room to open it. It was a "joke" with all the boys as they had gone paintballing together earlier in the month, he never really said thanks. I think he is going through that awkward phase though, so I'm not going to hold it against him. But I might just give him something pink next year to get even!!!LOL!

I have more difficulty with people not keeping my altered pens when they are refillable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
Several years ago, after making cards for my sister and her kids, she mentioned she thought people who didn't buy cards were "cheap." I haven't gave any of them a card of any kind since! When my oldest niece (same sister) had her first baby, I made a quilt - never got a thank you of any kind - no quilt for subsequent baby!

I have lots of people in my life who appreciate (and let me know) my creations. I stick to giving to them.

I wrote a little ditty about this for my blog once...

It Seemed Innocent Enough | Eclectvity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChautonaView Post
I wrote a little ditty about this for my blog once...

It Seemed Innocent Enough | Eclectvity
Oh my aching sides!!!! Last year for Christmas I made Gingerbread men cards and put my "recipe" on the back - I didn't put any prices... maybe one day!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2011, 08:33 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

DeeAnn:
I don't care if it's my Mom, or my sister or what - if someone was that rude and malicious to me I'd drop 'em like that. *snap* In fact, I did drop my sister from my life 10 years ago and haven't regretted it since. She is free to spread her poison to everyone around her, but not me and my family. Congratulations for seeing your mother for who she is and having the strength and the love for yourself to move on without her!! I am so glad you didn't let her opinions stop you from continuing on with your crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SU ShopaholicView Post
A question for those of you who are upset that your cards aren't kept by the recipients=> How long do you expect the cards to be kept? A year? Two years? Forever? I keep cards I'm given by my cardmaking/scrapbooking friends if they are cards I want to 'scraplift' etc, but other than that - not really. How much stuff do you hang on to before you're starring on an episode of Hoarders?
Hoarders is a bad evil word in my home. I hate, hate, hate clutter. I hold on to meaningful cards. Sometimes I turn them into something else. Example of that would be my journals or ornaments. I keep cards that inspire me too.

My DS gives me cards and he doesn't sign them, lol. He knows I will recon them. I know some of you might be horrified about that. His gesture really touches me. He puts a lot of effort finding the perfect sentiment. I save all those sentiments too in a special box of my treasures.

My peeve is when you make a card don't expect the receiver to borrow it. Who borrows a card that was given to them? Amazing! The giver hands you the card and then tells you they need it back? Why bother?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
DeeAnn:
I don't care if it's my Mom, or my sister or what - if someone was that rude and malicious to me I'd drop 'em like that. *snap* In fact, I did drop my sister from my life 10 years ago and haven't regretted it since. She is free to spread her poison to everyone around her, but not me and my family. Congratulations for seeing your mother for who she is and having the strength and the love for yourself to move on without her!! I am so glad you didn't let her opinions stop you from continuing on with your crafting.
Jazzy- What is really bad about this I let it go on for way too long. I mean waaaay toooo long. My friends who have seen it since we were teenagers and now have teenagers themselves told me the whole thing was just so continuous it was like I was just trying to cope. My DH & I went through the empty nester stage. My DS left home early in his teens for school. I had that quiet time where everything started to hit me. The final straw was this Cricut thing. I am still so stunned that I can't even start digesting it. I thought it was a completely separate incident. That made me feel worse because I thought I had a "Bully Me" sign over my head or something.

Thank you to everyone for the sweet words. Don't let the critics get you down. Over on another forum an OP wrote that elitism is insecurity. Those who also do not appreciate crafted items just really don't get it and they never will. My crafting stash is like a treasure trove. I want to share that treasure for those who understand and appreciate it. Naysayers can find their own treasures.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

Cool It takes all kinds

My mom does beautiful stamp work and crafting of all kinds. She gave a card to a friend in her yoga class for her birthday last year. That friend happens to be on a board for an art/craft fair/show. In order to be part of this you have to be invited. My mom was. She did the show last year and this year. This year before the show you had to come to a meeting to show the board samples of your work. My mom did this. Everyone including her friend gushed over what she brought. THe day before the show, my mom came to set up her things and was told that some of her things were too cutesy and would not be allowed to be in the show. I figured these were some altered dvd cases with the notepad and pen in them. Those were a little cutesy in my opinion. My mom and I used some expired SU! paper for those. Turns out the lady (her friend) did not like some the altered notebooks or the rag purse made with the scallop square die. Which I felt were beautiful and elegant. My mother does not do cutesy. Her work is detailed and time consuming. My mother was so insulted she did not go to the show at all. I feel like I could throttle the lady for her. Why ooh and ahh at something and then turn around and say you don't like it? I don't get people. If you have a certain standard especially in this case they should have stated so.

I have a friend that I taught how to do the faux beaded pens. When we made them I showed everyone what kind of pens to buy to refill the ink. My friend made it and used it up and then threw it away. She also threw all her cards that others had made for her.

I save all handmade cards and handwritten letters. I have two small boxes with 20 years worth of stuff. Not bad for 20 years I think.

I don't understand some people but I wish they would make the effort to have more tact and be nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeechelleView Post

One of my favorite comments is "How do you find the time?". It's usually delivered in that same uber-snotty tone. My stock answer is "I find time to do things that are important to me." while mentally adding " . . . and now I don't think you are!" Like you, though, it doesn't keep me from making things. I have too much fun doing it.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes