Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Question classic ink for solid stamps

Why do I get spots of ink when I use Classic Inks for large solid stamps? When I use Craft Ink to stamp, it's a smooth, uniform color of ink. The Classic Inks seem to give me dots that are darker in color. Sometimes I prefer the color that I get from the Classic Ink, but I don't like the dot effect. Thanks for your advice girls!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:05 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Sometimes the ink will pool on the rubber if it's a really juicy pad, instead of doing a couple of hard pushes on the pad, do a few light taps. You can also turn the stamp rubber up and tap the pad onto the stamp instead. That's what I do with Bodacious Bouquet. Sometimes if you LIGHTLY sand the rubber with one of our sanding blocks that helps.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Helen, is your stamp relatively new? In order to get the rubber out of the mold, a release agent is used. Residue from this will still be on the stamp when it arrives, and you need to clean it off before the rubber will pick up ink properly. Sort of like when you get new dishes or linens and have to wash them before you use them. Make sense?

Another factor that can cause problems with your stamped image is the cardstock itself. SU! Whisper White and Very Vanilla have an ultrasmooth surface that takes ink beautifully. The best comparison I can think of is using regular copy paper vs. bright white in an inkjet printer.

Hope this solves your problem!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Old 09-20-2006, 08:17 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

When I am inking up a solid stamp I have a little technique that works for me... I drag the stamp along the surface of the ink pad to kind of "smear" the ink onto the surface of the stamp, then BEFORE I lift the stamp off the pad I give a good hard push. I don't know why it works but it does ... gives me nice, even coverage.

HTH (I know it's probably about as clear as mud ... sorry - kinda hard to explain)
Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 AM   #5  
SCS Moderator

A few thing si do to make sure my images are more solid:

*keep my pads reinked and JUICY.
*I actually pick up the pad in my left hand and push the stamp into it that way so I can push from both sides (my table isa "soft" top table so I find I need to get a better push back from my hand)
*I push and to a little twist with the stamp before I pull it off the pad

Hope that helps-I do think the surface you are stamping on makes a difference as well. At my upline's house she has solid/hard tables and I find them easier to get good impressions with than my tables at home. HTH

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I use an eraser on the surface of my stamps when I first get them to rough them up a bit and this seems to help. Also, I just check the ink coverage on the stamp before I put it to the paper just to make sure that it is on the rubber evenly but the eraser trick has helped me out a lot with thir problem!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #7  
Inking Addict

The inkpads are new and juicy. They're the new colors. I've used the stamp before (the stamp isn't new), and it stamps a solid image with the Craft Pads. I stamp on a solid surface (on a counter top) on SU CS.
I don't know if it's because I started with Craft Pads first because that's what a friend of mine had and told me to get so I'm just used to the images I get with Craft Pads. Or am I doing something wrong with the Classic Inks even though I've tried everyone's suggestions.
Thanks for all of your ideas I'll keep practicing...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
Hope that helps-I do think the surface you are stamping on makes a difference as well. At my upline's house she has solid/hard tables and I find them easier to get good impressions with than my tables at home. HTH
I usually stamp with my mousepad underneath my cardstock
Old 09-22-2006, 08:11 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

or a magazine
Old 09-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #10  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by helenrx
The inkpads are new and juicy. They're the new colors. I've used the stamp before (the stamp isn't new), and it stamps a solid image with the Craft Pads. I stamp on a solid surface (on a counter top) on SU CS.
I don't know if it's because I started with Craft Pads first because that's what a friend of mine had and told me to get so I'm just used to the images I get with Craft Pads. Or am I doing something wrong with the Classic Inks even though I've tried everyone's suggestions.
Thanks for all of your ideas I'll keep practicing...
I think it is just the nature of classic vs. craft. I liken the craft pads to "paint" pads in a way. The ink stays on top of the paper, while with the classic the ink is absorbed into the paper and especially on colored cardstock you get a more mottled image. That is what I have found to be the case. at least.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

There is definately a difference in the image with Craft vs. Classic. The Craft image is really solid and thick because it is pigment ink. Also because the Craft ink is thick it tends to "fill in the cracks" so to speak. Since the Classic is water based and soaks into the paper more, it may not give as good coverage on solid stamps. I usually look at the stamp before stamping with a solid stamp. If it isn't shiny with ink everywhere then there isn't enough ink on the stamp. I can usually get a good result if I move the stamp around the edges of the ink pad and then finish up with a good push in the middle. I am sorry you are having a frustrating time with solid stamps! It makes your R&R a little less fun. If you are still unhappy with the image I would say stick with the craft inks. They are really great and will leave an image that lasts forever HTH

-Alta
Old 09-22-2006, 10:17 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
I think it is just the nature of classic vs. craft. I liken the craft pads to "paint" pads in a way. The ink stays on top of the paper, while with the classic the ink is absorbed into the paper and especially on colored cardstock you get a more mottled image. That is what I have found to be the case. at least.
Any suggestions with using the new In Colors with solid stamps since they only come in Classic Inks? In other words, is there a way to get them to get that "paint" consistency/look?
Old 09-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Default Makes me nuts

Also, when I use a solid image with the classic pads, I can see the texture of the actual pad--makes me nuts. The craft pads are more of a spongy and therefore, I think has better coverage for solid stamps. I try twisting the stamp on the pad right before release. Sounds like we need a technical manual.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:27 AM   #14  
SCS Moderator

Quote:

Originally Posted by helenrx
Any suggestions with using the new In Colors with solid stamps since they only come in Classic Inks? In other words, is there a way to get them to get that "paint" consistency/look?
You might try this-jsut a guess but it has worked for embossing.

Stamp the image in Versamark 1st, and then in classic ink. I know the VM will allow you to emboss that way, but not sure if it will change the absorption into paper. Never hurts to try, though!