Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Classic Ink Pad or Craft Ink Pad (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/classic-ink-pad-craft-ink-pad-396699/)

blessedenuf 11-10-2008 05:52 AM

Classic Ink Pad or Craft Ink Pad

Good morning,

I'm wanting to purchase some ink pads from SU. Which one is best for cards, classic ink or craft ink?

Thanks

Paper Kissy 11-10-2008 06:35 AM

I like classic ink. It's probably just a personal preference. I'm sure lots of people like classic and lots like craft.

Erin

sarahmv 11-10-2008 06:45 AM

I really enjoy the classic pads...and I have those in the large sizes and then I have the craft and classic in the spots for embossing etc. I recommend you figure out what "types" of projects you plan to do and base your ink type on that... I use the classic pads daily and the craft ones when I emboss etc. (which isn't daily for me)... I like that the classic dries quickly so I can do things last minute :)

jackie1 11-10-2008 06:45 AM

I also prefer the Classic ink, it dry's faster and I don't have to wait for things to dry before I go to the next step. The Craft ink is good if you want the color to be darker and for using on dark colored cardstock or for using with clear embossing powder, as it takes longer to dry. I have all the Classic inks in the large pads and I am starting to collect the Craft ink in the stampin spots so I can use when I need them without taking up to much room. HTH.

bb&kk 11-10-2008 06:52 AM

I prefer Classic because it dries so fast. BUT.... Craft has it's place too. If you are looking for a more opaque look, then it's Craft Ink. My suggestion is to buy the Craft ink in the spots and then buy reinkers as needed for the colors you use most. Or buy a Craft White or Very Vanilla to get a feel for the way Craft Ink works. Both colors make very pretty snowflakes and because it stays "wet" you can add a little glitter!

mickeysue1002 11-10-2008 02:55 PM

I agree on the classic ink being better on drying time but craft ink has become a favorite for my silhouette (sp??) stamps. I can never get a good inking with the classic ink. I am buying craft only in the colors I need. As for embossing, I have stamped once on versamark and then once on classic ink , then use powder - works good for me and was a cheaper solution until I knew what I liked to use. ( didn't need lots of embossing colors and could use what I already had) I haven't tried embossing with the craft ink yet.

Hope that helps some...

Karen Murphy 11-10-2008 03:49 PM

I kept making a horrible smeary mess of my cards when I was using the Craft ink. So I switched to the Classic ink pads.

The Craft ink is perfect if you intend to heat emboss or if you have the patience to heat set your ink.

Minders 11-10-2008 05:01 PM

I prefer classic inks. I like that they dry quick so I don't smudge, because I will smudge something for sure if it's wet!!!! And really you can do most things that you would use craft ink for you can use other things. If you want to emboss you can still use Versamark and clear or any other color embossing powder and from what I've heard you can even ink in Versamark then the classic ink and it's supposed to work. Tried it with heat and stick so far and it seemed to work. And I just like the way classic ink looks on paper a little better than craft.

StampinAK 11-10-2008 07:34 PM

I also prefer the classic inks. I'm sure there are projects where the craft ink would be better, but I tend to do "Plain" stamping on cardstock.

princessp1971 11-10-2008 07:57 PM

Classic for me. Craft takes to long to dry.

sprtchick 11-11-2008 09:28 AM

I purchased two full color families (EE/RR) of the full size craft pads plus the reinkers and they are all still in their wrapping. That was like 6 months ago...I will probably end up selling them on evil bay or something. What a waste it was for me. Dont think I will ever use them.
Blessings.

mnhyrkas 11-11-2008 06:09 PM

I think it's a personal preference. I like the vibrancy that the craft/pigment inks have, especially in the soft subtles color group. But they do take longer to dry. I love that I can use clear embossing powder with them for heat embossing- no more colored stray flecks to worry about.
That said, you can do a quick stamp in a versamark pad and then stamp into your classic ink and it will give you the same ability to emboss with clear powder. You can do watercoloring techniques with the classic/dye inks using a waterbrush or plain 'ole water in a jar and a brush.
Can you tell I like both ink types? They each have their place. I'd say ask your SU demo if you could compare both types side by side making a sample card or 2 and see what your personal preference is.

gailwoo 11-11-2008 07:35 PM

classic for everyday stamping, quick projects and cards.
craft/pigment for embossing projects,
and for those solid stamps where you need more ink coverage.
stazon for waterproof (if you will be using aquapainter or blender pens);
hth,
gail

BA 11-11-2008 07:38 PM

Classic all the way for me :) The only Craft ink I own is White!

Kar 11-12-2008 02:04 AM

I only own White and Vanilla in Craft. I don't like how long it takes for Craft ink to dry as I am impatient!!

PSUKim05 11-12-2008 02:11 AM

I have 2 color families in the Stampin' spots so far, and I choose to go with Craft... Yes, they take longer to dry, but I've heard Classics can fade over time, and I didn't want that. You can water color with Craft ink, too.

In the end though, it's all about you and your preferences!! Hope this helps! Good luck!! :)

fura 11-14-2008 12:12 PM

Same here: I use the Classics more than the Crafts, so I bought all 4 families of colors in Classic and I bought the Stampin' Spots in Craft. It's been working out great for me. I wish I could get some Craft Stampin' Spots of the "In Color" family as well.

Michelle NH 11-18-2008 06:04 PM

I initially bought about 10 Craft inks. I hated using them because of the long wait in between steps. They took too long to dry for my needs. I sold them all at a loss of more than 50% to someone who does more crafting than cards and scrapbook pages. For cards and scrapbooking, I love the Classic inks. They are easy to use and they last a long time and they dry quickly. You can get refills. They come in all the SU colors. Great! The only one I'm not thrilled about is Black. It is find for most things, but stamping on white paper it looks more like deep purple than black, IMHO.