Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Christmas Cards: One design? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/christmas-cards-one-design-296224/)

MadameCraftyPants 10-27-2007 08:18 AM

Christmas Cards: One design?

For those of you making Xmas cards, are you making one design to send to everyone? Or do you make different cards for individuals/groups on your list?

I'm just curious how others attack their Xmas card making. I have, oh, 10 billion ideas in my head for cards and am trying to figure out if I want to make multiple designs or go for simplicity and do just 1 or 2.

stamp1 10-27-2007 08:23 AM

I just make one card design each year. That way, I can actually get them done in time for Christmas!

wendykins 10-27-2007 08:24 AM

I do two different styles----The bulk are cards that i stamp and attach a photo to the card for family and close friends and then i do about 20 of generic pretty ones for business and not so close friends that send a card to us, but yet to be blunt, don't need or want a pix of my kids. HTH

Duckwaddlequack 10-27-2007 08:26 AM

Multiple designs for me! I really have to push myself to make the multiples of the same card a lot of the time. I make a huge variety for family and friends but when it comes school I make the same design for my class and the same for all the teachers.... and those are usually always simple one layers. My more detailed and embellished Christmas cards are the ones that I hand-deliver. :mrgreen:

But do what you think will work the best and easiest for you!:mrgreen:

jbcmom 10-27-2007 08:28 AM

I make about three different ones. More elaborate for family, nice ones for friends and kind of generic but still nice for others.

Topaz_n29 10-27-2007 08:29 AM

Last year i made 52 xmas cards..everyone was different..that way i get to use all my ideas..loves ya

bonniejo 10-27-2007 08:38 AM

I make multiple cards. I get bored making one design. I make the more elaborate ones for the people that will appreciate them.

buggainok 10-27-2007 09:03 AM

I make all one design. I can really get into the assembly line method after I have the design figured out.

It gives me a great feeling of accomplishment to make all those cards and line them up.

I think everyone is different about liking or not liking repetition. I also like to crochet, and that is the same thing over and over, lol.

thechecker 10-27-2007 09:04 AM

I do all the same. But actually two, cuz I do 80 all the same for mom and then 25 of another design for me!

Anne

Babsnelson 10-27-2007 09:18 AM

I make multiple designs each year, but make about 8-10 of each design. I get too bored making the same one over and over so I need to mix it up a little.

Jami 10-27-2007 09:55 AM

I hate making multiples of the same card and 25 is my absolutle max for any one design. So I usually do either 2 or 3 batches of 20-25 and then maybe a special batch of 10 and then about 10 or so individual ones (usually while doing some of the SCS challenges). I need to end up with at least 80.

SavvyKat 10-27-2007 09:56 AM

I am make them all the same. Only because each year I make a scrapbook page of Christmas card, family photo, and yearly happenings. Plus I find it much easier to just get them done in bulk!!!

Zoie 10-27-2007 09:58 AM

I make about 10 of 7 different designs.

kerianne 10-27-2007 09:59 AM

Last year was my first year to make my own cards. I too had a gazillion ideas. What I ended up doing was making a bunch of cards, then picked 4-5 different designs and then making multiples of each of them. When I started, I hated the idea of assembly line cards, but I have gotten over that and just love to make a bunch of one card to share with others and have on hand in a pinch!

SamanthaMaree 10-27-2007 10:41 AM

I'm only making one design this year, but I don't send out many cards. Usually 20 at the most. I might make a few more designs next year when I have more supplies and/or ideas!

mrs_hawkins 10-27-2007 11:03 AM

Last year I made all the same design, but changed up the colors. This year I've done at least 6 cards a month 3 each of 2 designs. And each month I use a different stamp set. I've been doing a Christmas card class with my customers so I make what they make.

labullard 10-27-2007 11:14 AM

The max for me of making multiples of one design is about 10. However, the downside of that is I drive myself a little crazy deciding which card to send to whom! :rolleyes:

Linda

Yami 10-27-2007 11:41 AM

I *know* I posted on here....mine are done for the year...I did about 8-12 of 6-7 different ideas.....so, I've got LOTS of cards for this year, and maybe next year, too! :D

Shirley Rae 10-27-2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by labullard (Post 7560401)
The max for me of making multiples of one design is about 10. However, the downside of that is I drive myself a little crazy deciding which card to send to whom! :rolleyes:

Linda

This is exactly why I only do one design each year. Deciding who gets which one sometimes takes longer than making the card.

labullard 10-27-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shirley Rae (Post 7560549)
This is exactly why I only do one design each year. Deciding who gets which one sometimes takes longer than making the card.

As always, there are pros and cons to every approach! ;)

Linda

steubner 10-27-2007 11:49 AM

I did the same design for everyone last year and ended up having to get rid of the stamps I used, I was so tired of looking at them. This year I've been making them when I feel like it and am doing them all different.

postcardgirl 10-27-2007 11:52 AM

I do two sets - one for family/friends and one for my online friends (the ones I know will really appreciate my hard work!).

sbergwil 10-27-2007 11:55 AM

I usually do 2 or 3 designs but this year I am only doing one because I'm going to do them ALL in a weekend. I'm going with some girlfriends on a stamping/scrapbooking retreat next weekend and my goal is to finish all 125 cards. Hopefully it won't drive me insane to do a single design. If it does, a cranberry margarita will help me cope! :)

jtax 10-27-2007 12:43 PM

I usually do just one. I spent a lot of time this summer designing and making mine. I was quite pleased with myself getting them all done so soon. In Sept, I became a SU! demo. My cards didn't use SU! stamps or cardstock and I think as a demo I should use SU! products. So, it's off to the drawing board again. I will use a few of the original ones, but guess the rest will be sent to Iraq for the soldiers to send to their family members...

triplef 10-27-2007 12:57 PM

Last year I did one design and was totally bored with it by the time I got done.This year I am having fun and making 10 of each different design I come up with!

Barb

momis mama 10-27-2007 01:28 PM

i make lots of different designs...

the more i like the design... the more multiples i make of it. usually any where from 4-12 of one design.

right now i have over 70 christams cards on hand (14 different designs)

i have sold some already and am doing my stamp a stack in a couple weeks.

i usually use up the rest of those stamp a stack supplies to make more cards and then i use the layout of those cards to make even more.

I LOVE TO MAKE CARDS ! ! ! can you tell?! LOL

Gal with the stamps 10-27-2007 01:36 PM

I do muliple designs as well, except for the ones I send to my Stampin' Up! customers. I do a new design, not seen by anyone at any class or workshop. All the other cards I send to family and friends are usually left overs from stamp camps or workshops.

olivia'smom 10-27-2007 01:49 PM

I used to go to a camp and we did five cards four each, but then I never could remember who got what. So I began doing just one or two each year but that got boring. This year I am making about 50 cards and will only be making two of each style. But this year I am out of work and my daughter is in school, so it is a whole different ball game this year.

bubbasprincess 10-27-2007 02:24 PM

In the past I have just done 1 design. This year I am doing 4(so far) With 1 design I get so sick and burned out on making that card that it feels like hard work to make it. No fun. This year I am mixing it up.

mcfadden 10-27-2007 02:58 PM

Xmas cards one design

One design for everybody. It would be too hard to remember which card I sent to which group. But on the other hand I make the cards for my church to send out to the college kids, shuts in's etc., and I'm making three different designs! I just make the cards, I don't have to remember which one was sent to whom! LOL

You can always make the other designs and give them to a local nursing home, senior center or church for someone else to use and enjoy!

cardmaker2 10-27-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topaz_n29 (Post 7559506)
Last year i made 52 xmas cards..everyone was different..that way i get to use all my ideas..loves ya

Me too. I get so many ideas in my head, all those patterned papers just begging to be used...so many colours...

And I get bored doing 2 the same let alone 20 or more! Occasionally I will cut 2 of everything and then I have a spare but that happens rarely.

That's just me, the other posters are happy with their method too! You just do what works for you.

uk79ee 10-27-2007 05:46 PM

I usually do one design but I make have half with Color A as the base & Color B as the accent and the I make the other half with Color B as the base & Color A as the accent. Doing this keeps the amount of one color I need down & I don't get as bored mass producing the cards.

carlybrooks05 10-28-2007 05:01 AM

This will be my first time doing Christmas cards. I'm thinking I'll probably do more than one as well. I just sent my cards for a Christmas swap, and for the life of my I couldn't do the cards exactly the same. The coloring or something was different on each one. So I know I can't do the same card for Christmas cause I'll get bored. *smile*

darmstadtdoll 10-28-2007 05:24 AM

Last year I just did cards for close family and friends - only about 20, and then used up store-bought cards I had on hand for distant relatives and business associates.

This year I will do them all myself and probably do just 2 designs. Deciding on the design is the hard part for me. I don't mind the mass production process once I've settled on what I am making.

PattiLynn 10-28-2007 05:25 AM

I am SO bad with repetition. After making 8 of the same card, I am bored out of my mind. So, I tend to make quite a few different designs just to make it more fun for me!!

1chrystal 10-28-2007 06:06 AM

For my personal christmas cards I usually pick about 5 or 6 designs and make a dozen cards of each, and then I make just a few of "very special" ones to go to people who will appreciate the work.

I also do up to 3 designs that are super super simple for my kids to do a card exchange.

artlikefastfood 10-28-2007 06:17 AM

Every one of my cards are different. But we have a running joke among our group of stamping buddies. If I make a card I don't like so much, I'll say, "Well, this one goes to someone I don't like so much." Then all my buddies will look it over to make sure they recognize it in case I send it to them.

I like it that all my cards are different. I've gone home for Christmas and seen relatives' cards and ooh and ahhed over them and they look at me puzzled because it's one I've sent. By the time I finish all those cards, I forget what they all look like.

I have to admit, however, I have had NO time to stamp in the last 5-6 months, so I haven't even started on Christmas cards. I need to get my butt in gear...

jpmayo 10-28-2007 06:55 AM

I make 10 of one, 5 of another, 1 of 10 or so different designs...they are never all the same but some might be depends on how quickly I get tired of that design.

I always make special ones fot mom, bff, sisters, neices, dh and dd that are original.

carolc1027 10-28-2007 08:58 AM

I have chosen two different designs this year - but with each design I reverse the colors...so I am winding up with 4 'different' cards!

Rox71 10-28-2007 09:18 AM

I've done all the same just once, BORING! Now I seldom repeat a card.

To keep track of who recieved what (mainly for the images used), I put the photo of the card in a computer file and change the card name to the recipient's name. It's great to look back on the next year.