Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2006, 09:04 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Default Chipboard & Mod Podge ?????s

I have a couple of questions regarding chipboard and mod podge.
1) If I buy those chipboard letters in the SU catalog, do you cut out the paper to fit the letter fronts or to wrap around the letters?
2) Do you need to use craft ink or will regular ink work to brayer over those chipboard letters?
3) Do you mod podge underneath and over top the patterned paper when adhering to chipboard?
4) Does anyone know if the chipboard letters in the SU catalog have multiple letters of popular letters? I was thinking of making a name plate but my daughter's name has two "L"s.
5) Lastly, are those chipboard letters too heavy to put on cards to send through the mail? I've never seen how thick they are.

THANK YOU so much for any help you can give!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:52 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Anyone????
Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I haven't seen the SU ones, however, I use Chipboard a lot!! I'll take a stab at answering your questions.

1) If I buy those chipboard letters in the SU catalog, do you cut out the paper to fit the letter fronts or to wrap around the letters?

Ans: If I want to use patterned paper, I do not wrap it around the edges. I either leave the edges in the cardboard color or I paint them with acrylic paint or ink. I will adhere the paper to the letter or shape with adhesive (I use Scotch double-stick tape or Mod Podge). Once the adhesive is dry (if you are using a Mod Podge-type), cut the letter out. I generally use a craft knife with a new blade and trim on a glass mat. Move the paper, not the knife.

2) Do you need to use craft ink or will regular ink work to brayer over those chipboard letters?

Ans: You can use any kind of ink on them. Don't forget...they take acrylic paint well. I have mainly craft inks and those work wonderfully.

3) Do you mod podge underneath and over top the patterned paper when adhering to chipboard?

Ans: You do not have to use Mod Podge as your adhesive. You can use tape, etc. If you do use Mod Podge and want the top to be shiney, you MUST use Mod Podge under the paper also. If you do not use the same adhesive under, the paper will bubble and you will not be able to get the bubbles out. Put a thin coat on the item and then add the paper to it.

4) Does anyone know if the chipboard letters in the SU catalog have multiple letters of popular letters? I was thinking of making a name plate but my daughter's name has two "L"s.

Ans: I'm not sure, but it does say that you get 50 some pieces.

5) Lastly, are those chipboard letters too heavy to put on cards to send through the mail? I've never seen how thick they are.

Ans: You can send a card through the mail with a chipboard shape or letter. They are not quite 1/8 thick. A little thicker than the backing on your legal-sized notebooks. In fact, that is what people use a lot of the time to make their own chipboard shapes/letters. When I make my home made chipboard shapes or letters, I will cut what I can with my KAI scissors (just like the SU ones) or my craft knife---being sure to make the same cut over and over again to get through the thickness.

If you click on the link in my signature, it will take you to a site where I am a Design member. In the June gallery, you will see a card using a chipboard shape from Fancy Pants. I used SU Ruby Red craft ink and several (I think 4) coats of glossy glaze. It's the one that is paisley and has stripped ribbon. Also, in my gallery, I used Making Memories chipboard letters on my Pretty in Pink layout. I used chipboard squares by Bazzill on the Birthday Wishes card (pink, orange, and yellow with pixie pink as the background).

I hope I answered all your questions. If you have other's, just give me a holler, I'll try to answer them.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Shucks...you can't edit on this page. I was going to edit to say that I have seen the SU ones in the new catty, just do not have them as of yet.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the answers! Your gallery of cards were so beautiful - great inspiration to try chipboard for myself!
Sponsored Links