Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Default Which cheap white cardstock?

Okay, I love SU! papers. But I need to make a ton of simple cards to give away. So I simply can't afford to buy SU white for these. So, what's your favorite cheaper white cardstock? Where do you buy it?
Thanks
Amy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

You can get a huge pack of white card stock at Walmart for super cheap. Look in the office department. I think it was like 500 sheets for 4.95 or something ridiculous like that. I think it was Georgia Pacific card stock.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
You can get a huge pack of white card stock at Walmart for super cheap. Look in the office department. I think it was like 500 sheets for 4.95 or something ridiculous like that. I think it was Georgia Pacific card stock.
Yes. It's heavier than the cheap stuff from Michaels and very affordable. It's also a nice crisp white.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I found this stuff too Georgia Pacific, 110 weight, 150 sheets for less than $5! It's wonderful! If you use Stazon for your black line you can watercolor on it, plus it takes ink 'almost' as well as SU Whisper White!

I'll always have SU WW on hand, but I think the majority of my stamping will be on this CS from now on.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

That's good to know, thanks!!

Please take a stroll through my gallery!
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=76367
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 08:55 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

oh and it's acid free too
Old 07-11-2006, 09:19 AM   #7  
Swapper of the Month November 2012

I have found that the Georgia-Pacific is great for the prismacolor pencil/gamsol technique...got my pack at a garage sale for $1.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Georgia Pacific is what I use too.....I get mine at Sam's Club. I love it!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Wal-Mart. Georgia pacific - 110# - 150 sheets for under $5. This is very good paper and I use a lot of it. I practiced prismacolor and Gamsol on it!

Great cardstock!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 07-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

I picked up a package of 65 lb bright white paper...think it was Georgia Pacific or Weyerhauser over at Office Max. Paid about $10 for 250 or more sheets. Fairly decent quality stock also. Compared it to Whisper White and did not detect much difference,.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I use the GP cardstock from walmart. I always use SU! white when I teach a class. The GP is great for personal cards. I try to use SU! when I am stampin' with solid stamps, it is a much better print. I have used a lot of different white cardstocks and found that the GP is the closest to SU!.

Kelly
Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonda
Georgia Pacific is what I use too.....I get mine at Sam's Club. I love it!

Ditto!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Great...I am off to Walmart as I need to make some BULK cards and this sounds perfect. I love the SU paper as it is the best I have ever used but for this project, cheap is good
Old 07-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Default Can't be Beat...

There's a web-site called envelopemall.com You can get nice weight bright white paper (Mohawk) that is identical to Whisper White...it's actually a tiny bit brighter when held next to WW. It's about $12 for 500 (I think, may be 250). I just bought some for wedding invitations I was doing for a client. Can't beat the price! They also have envelopes just like SU for $9 pack of 100!

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Old 07-11-2006, 11:35 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Oh this is so good to know. DD (age 9) has asked for a stamp-a-stack for her birthday party. I'm running really low on my SU WW CS and need to ration it. This GP CS sounds great for her party. And Walmart is much closer than Utah!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

Got mine at Sam's Club...great stuff and it goes in the printer wonderfully well too.
Hugs, Joanne
Old 07-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks, you guys! I will brave the Walmart insanity tonight for the paper.
Amy
Old 07-11-2006, 12:56 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

I too use the GP from Walmart, pick up a few packs, well worth having on hand! I have a very hard time telling the difference between SU WW and the GP paper.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

I use the GP white for layering - I LOVE my SU Whisper White for stamping and whatnot - I have yet to find a CS w/ a smooth finish like that. But for kids stuff, layers (where you'd only see the edges of the CS), or to mass produce sets of cards for gift sets or whatever I gotta say the GP CS does the job!!
Old 07-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #20  
Kookie Creator

I have bought 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock at Sam's and it works great and I have also bought some and took it to Kinko's and had them cut it for me in half to use for cards. Its only like $4.95 for like 700 pages or so. I also buy it through CTMH and since I sale it I can order under supplies/bulk 12 x 12 white for cheap and I forget the cost and amount of paper I believe it was 100 sheets for $14.95. Hope this helps a little and happy stamping.

Kristie
Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Just got back from Walmart with the paper...it is nice and I think it is a perfect alternative for the bulk cards I need to make

Thanks again for the post!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I second and third the Georgia Pacific from Walmart --

Also I got some 11x14 white cardstock at Staples which is AWESOME for those bigger projects!!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Another vote for GP from Walmart. It works as good as any expensive smooth white cardstock I have ever used. Even my demo tells us to go buy that instead of the Ultrasmooth stuff. She stamped on a piece of each and showed us that no one could tell the difference. Just buy more stamps LOL!
Old 07-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
This WAS my all time favorite for non-Su white CS -- it was nice weight (110 lb) and really white....well, that changed with the last package I bought about 2 months ago. I brought it home, opened it up and started to use it and noticed that when I compared it to sheets from the last package that it was a dull, grayed out white.
I called Georgia Pacific about the problem because I LOVE this cs....they were appropriately horrified and asked me to send them 10 sheets of yuck white from the package and a sample of a sheet from a previous, good package. I also had the original wrap and they wanted that too. They sent a prepaid return envelope and also a coupon for a free ream of paper. I was really impressed that they were SO concerned about the brightness of the CS. I'm hoping this was a quality control issue that was quickly resolved.

I went back to Walmart after this with a sample of my old, good cs and compared it to the stuff on the shelf....I found one package on the shelf that was good and bought it (learned that they have a date on the package and that helped me narrow it down.) I think I will wait several months before I purchase again to give time for the old cs to get off the shelves.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Default Speaking of Walmart

They also have a pack of parchment papers (4 shades per pack) that work nice for making envelopes.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #26  
stu
Matboard Maniac

I also use the Georgia Pacific mentioned above and for layering it works great! But I have had a hard time finding heavier white cardstock that can be used for card bases, similiar to the weight of SU colored cardstock--does anyone have a source for this? On one other thread I was reading, someone said Office Max had cardstock that was similiar in weight (I think 80 lb cover weight was recommended) but my local Office Max does not carry this--I even asked to look at the cardstock behind the counter in their copy center, but no luck.

If anyone has suggestions about where to find white (and vanilla) cardstock that is similar in thickness of the SU colored cardstock, I know I'd appreciate hearing about it.

TIA.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:06 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I get the blank cards and envies that Michaels put on ad periodically for cheap. I usually stock up when they have them 50% odd, 25 cards and envies usually for around 2.44............I like that they are precut and have the envies, too, both for around 10 cents each. That's pretty cheap to me.

Old 07-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu
I also use the Georgia Pacific mentioned above and for layering it works great! But I have had a hard time finding heavier white cardstock that can be used for card bases, similiar to the weight of SU colored cardstock--does anyone have a source for this? On one other thread I was reading, someone said Office Max had cardstock that was similiar in weight (I think 80 lb cover weight was recommended) but my local Office Max does not carry this--I even asked to look at the cardstock behind the counter in their copy center, but no luck.

If anyone has suggestions about where to find white (and vanilla) cardstock that is similar in thickness of the SU colored cardstock, I know I'd appreciate hearing about it.

TIA.
I'd love to know that too - I so wish SU would make white CS the same thickness as the colored (and still keep the thinner Whisper White - I really like the smoothness of it - I can tell the difference right away when compared to other whites). But a thicker white for stronger card bases would be divine!
Old 07-11-2006, 07:47 PM   #29  
Compulsive Stamper

Ok here is what I have been using for many years instead of SU. For the white it is Wausau Bright White. Much better than the GP white at Wal Mart. For the cream color, it is Royal Silk Natural. Both I get at Paper Zone. They also have a 140 or 150lb stock I love that is the best. If any one wants that paper name, let me know.

These 2 papers are both about the same as SU. I have not found anything closer and find stamping on them and coloring on them is the same. They are more expensive than the walmart paper but well worth it. I paid about $13.49 for a package of 250.

I also use a linen textured paper from same store that is wonderful. Can get in either white or cream and it really makes the cards so much nicer. If anyone wants that info, let me know.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

AmyR, where do you find your GP white CS? I've looked in two walmarts here in Regina and can't find that brand, just something else (might be that Wausau; I know it was a paper company I'd never heard of before).

pamelalwc, where do you find the Wausau paper? I'm hugely not a fan of the generic not-white CS at Mike's, and the alternative seems to be buying by the sheet from LSSs. TIA!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:34 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Bazzill (bazzill basics) has some that is this weight. I always use the linen texture, but they do have a few other textures. i know they will sell it to you if you have a tax ID number.

I've been thinking about that white from Sam's Club. I make a lot of cards for the DT I am on and it would be great for the budget.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyR
I'd love to know that too - I so wish SU would make white CS the same thickness as the colored (and still keep the thinner Whisper White - I really like the smoothness of it - I can tell the difference right away when compared to other whites). But a thicker white for stronger card bases would be divine!
Old 07-12-2006, 05:04 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Mahloumel, the Walmarts here in Winnipeg used to carry the GP stuff, which was great. But now they've gone to some other brand, which isnt as nice and I wont buy it for my cardstock. However, if you go to Staples, I have been buying the "Domtar" cardstock, 110 lb. Here it was $15.00 or so for 250 sheets ... it was what my demonstrator recommended that I try ... I like it, its nice to work with. Maybe you want to try that. It only comes in white (that I've seen).
Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu

TIA.
It's not the same shade of vanilla, but I use Hammermill's cream cover stock from Staples. It's inexpensive and the copy paper that's the same color is great for using as "liners" on the inside of cards made of dark card stock (you know, to write the senitment on, etc). It's a darker shade of vanilla than SU's, and I really do love SU's vanilla, but it works well enough.

BTW, I did go to Walmart last night and bought the GP paper. So far, I really like it! Much better than anything I've found at other office supply or craft stores around here. I'll try it with watercolor pencils and prismacolors and baby oil today. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks everyone for your help!
Amy
Old 07-12-2006, 07:48 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Thank you, Deb!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 AM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu
I also use the Georgia Pacific mentioned above and for layering it works great! But I have had a hard time finding heavier white cardstock that can be used for card bases, similiar to the weight of SU colored cardstock--does anyone have a source for this? On one other thread I was reading, someone said Office Max had cardstock that was similiar in weight (I think 80 lb cover weight was recommended) but my local Office Max does not carry this--I even asked to look at the cardstock behind the counter in their copy center, but no luck

TIA.
That was me on the other thread . That stinks that your Office Max doesn't carry it. Here's the info so maybe you can find it somewhere else: Wausau Bright White 80 lb. cover weight, smooth finish, the item # is 92201. My OM sold me a pkg of 250 sheets for $14.99. Not super cheap but cheaper and heavier than WW. Now I'm scared that maybe my OM doesn't have it anymore ... I feel myself going into hording mode ...

HTH!
An - SCS member #44271
"I'm a mystery wrapped in a riddle, covered with chocolate sprinkles." - Cookie Monster
my tiny gallery
Old 07-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face Hording mode

THANK you for putting words to my scary knee-jerk reaction at times..."Hording mode"! I know exactly what you mean. Not particularly proud of it but it's there. At a local art store my DH found some of the prismacolor pencils that are going to be dropped...forgot which one, I think maybe the one that matched barely banana the best...and picked up a handful for me. I'm probably stocked for life. Does this happen to you other stampers?