Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   changes for SU demos? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/changes-su-demos-595052/)

westiemom 03-24-2015 04:37 AM

I have told this story before....... my state does not tax shipping. I was at a party and my order was close to $200. A lot for me but there were three things in the set that I thought would look great in one of our bathrooms. When I went to pay, the demo asked me to have a party MORE THAN ONCE and I said no each time. When I looked at the bill, she had taxed the shipping. I asked her to remove it and she became defensive. I said that is fine then just cancel the whole thing and stood up. She said, "you are cancelling this over 78 cents (or whatever it was) and I said, "no I am cancelling because you are incredibly rude and I don't really need this overpriced junk" Several people left with me and the next day, my coworker (and hostess) apologized all over the place and said if she knew, she would not have had the party to begin with.
Lesson learned for everyone, I guess. And I think that was the beginning of the end of my attending home parties.
I actually feel like the whole system preys on women..... the demonstrators, the hostesses, and the reluctant guests.

ctab 03-24-2015 04:56 AM

Yep, that's annoying, but not at all the situation I described. I don't see the point of continuing to converse about this so I am going to bow out.

Minders 03-24-2015 05:44 AM

I'm in my 30's and buy things at home parties and I in NO WAY feel preyed upon or victimized. I'm a rather intelligent woman with a Master's Degree and am in total control of what I CHOSE to buy at home parties or elsewhere. I enjoy getting together with people to socialize and shop if I choose. If I don't love something I won't buy plain and simple. I dislike high pressure sales people too (and I encounter them WAY more in stores than in MLM businesses) but I just smile, give them some lip service and move on and roll my eyes. I'm over it. And seriously, I encounter them ALL time time at the mall and very rarely at home parties. This thread has really taken a turn from the original post. And I can't wait to see what the future holds and see the new catalog :-)

Dandy15 03-24-2015 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20933752)
I have told this story before....... my state does not tax shipping. I was at a party and my order was close to $200. A lot for me but there were three things in the set that I thought would look great in one of our bathrooms. When I went to pay, the demo asked me to have a party MORE THAN ONCE and I said no each time. When I looked at the bill, she had taxed the shipping. I asked her to remove it and she became defensive. I said that is fine then just cancel the whole thing and stood up. She said, "you are cancelling this over 78 cents (or whatever it was) and I said, "no I am cancelling because you are incredibly rude and I don't really need this overpriced junk" Several people left with me and the next day, my coworker (and hostess) apologized all over the place and said if she knew, she would not have had the party to begin with.
Lesson learned for everyone, I guess. And I think that was the beginning of the end of my attending home parties.
I actually feel like the whole system preys on women..... the demonstrators, the hostesses, and the reluctant guests.

I find a LOT of people will ask a question and not listen for the answer so need to ask again...and sometimes again. Not saying this is the case with her, just that it does happen regularly.
Also, was this party held in your area where the demo would know not to charge tax on shipping and did anyone else say anything? If it was a new area/different area, she might not have known, not an excuse to be rude of course.

JanTInk 03-25-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottitude (Post 20933161)
I tend to disagree... if you don't tell people you sell for a company, you're not going to get any sales, unless you're one of the fortunate who has a built-in network of customers for whatever reason. On a personal level, it depends how you define success. If success to you is meeting your quota by your chinny chin chin hair through your circle of friends, then I guess you don't need to tell people you sell for a company. However that is personal success, not business success. The company, as we know, considers you a hobbyist, not a successful sales person. No trips for you! [insert Seinfeld 'Soup Nazi' voice here ;) ]

In my estimation, you are considered a successful demonstrator by Stampin' Up! if you meet your minimums. If you don't, you are dropped. The level of rewards you get as a demonstrator may culminate in a trip, but there are many rewards below that that you can earn, starting with free hostess bennies with your own orders (a lot of companies do not have this), free stuff from the Great Rewards program, volume rebate if you sell at a certain level, and it goes up from there. To say the only reward that marks success is if you get a trip isn't an accurate reflection of how most direct sales companies work, and Stampin' Up in particular. Even people who only meet their minimums get at least the hostess benefits on their own orders and some stuff from Great Rewards, as well as SAB rewards along with other things they can get from participating in training events and such.

Being a successful demonstrator to me means how successful I am at meeting MY goal or goals, which should be the definition for success for any direct salesperson. Since my goal is to make enough to buy all the toys I want and go to convention (having a kid in college have impacted this a bit, alas!), I *AM* a successful salesperson. Other people have goals to sell more than I do, and if they meet those goals, they are successful. For the person who just wants to clear their minimums by selling to a few friends, if they do that they are successful. I've never heard this defined in any other way by any direct sales guru whose presentations I have watched or whose books I have read. Some people will work like dogs to get on a cruise, but personally it's not my definition of success. The beauty of direct sales is that you can do as much or as little as you want as long as you meet your minimum.

I also find it really interesting that when a direct sales person asks someone at a party once if they want to have their own party, they are pushy. Yet, recently I bought something from a popular stamp company (not going to say which one). Since I bought something from them, barely a day has passed without getting an email from this company about various sales (they always seem to be having one), reminding me that "it's almost over!" and "Only one more day!" Yet this is just considered good business and not pushy. Every day I get one of these emails, which I usually delete unopened. when I compare this constant barrage of emails to a sales consultant saying, "How would you like to have your own party?" and taking no for an answer (needless to say your example of the consultant asking over and over again and not knowing the state law on calculating sales tax was terrible and I don't blame you one bit for what you did), I think that compared to most companies, direct sales consultants are far less "pushy" than the average company.

Personally, I don't ask people to have parties at workshops. I figure if they want to, they will ask me. I use a door prize slip where they can indicate an interest in having their own workshop, and if they check the box, I will talk to them at the end of the workshop or contact them later. I have always found that people who book at workshops tend to change their mind later. It's a waste of my time and money to try to get these kinds of bookings since usually they walk away with a catalog, order forms, and other things I have to buy myself and rarely get back if they cancel. I sometimes do contact people who have had workshops before to see if they want to, but only because I know they like having workshops. Like I said, people who do not know how to take no for an answer are the ones that leave a sour taste in people's mouths about direct sales in general. Most of us are not like that.

I have a friend who is a consultant for Arbonne. She told me she is a consultant because she likes the product and gets a discount. That's it. She never asked if I was interested in buying Arbonne or gave me any sales pitch for a single thing she sells or buys for herself. The only reason she told me was that I was talking about people we know in common who sell for one direct sales company or other, and she just mentioned it. I'm sure if I had expressed interest in buying something, she would have sold it to me, but since I didn't, she never mentioned it again. Most of the direct sales people I know are more like her than not.

Makalah 03-25-2015 08:17 PM

Well said, JanTink. You articulated it much better than my attempt which I gave up on. :)

I think of myself as successful with my SU business even if there are quarters I have barely hit my minimum. I was active for over a year before I did my first "workshop" type event. I don't talk about being a demo at work (actually, I can't), and I don't think I'm pushy at all about parties or recruits. And my day job is successful enough that if I want to go on a cruise or to Convention, I'll do it, SU rewards or not. :)

Minders 03-26-2015 04:40 AM

I just wanted to note that for me, the cruises and stuff like that don't mean a lot and I wasn't disillusioned when I started that those would be "easy" to achieve. Would I like to build my business some day? Sure. But I signed up to ONLY be a hobby demo until I feel like I have the time to do otherwise and I knew what I would and wouldn't earn. Like Jan said, I feel like I already get the perks I was in it for. I think some people sign up thinking it's going to be easy to make money and earn rewards. I don't know one MLM that is like that! It takes work and you get out of it what you put in it. And honestly for me, the connections and friendships I've made by doing this are the ONLY reward I really ever need. My life would not be the same without many of the people I've met by doing SU. That's a success for me :-)

plkelley 03-26-2015 05:11 AM

ita

mamaxsix 03-26-2015 05:54 AM

Some of the fun perks I enjoyed were being in on what was coming and being able to pre-order. I miss the excitement of seeing the new goodies first, being able to order SAB and hostess sets, bundles of the new in color stuff,etc. Demos also have access to teaching videos, product information, connection with other demos and even here on splitcoast-invitation to be part of the demonstrator's group. I still miss that camaraderie!
As a SAHM of six who also homeschools, the adult connections and sense of belonging was important. I was also pretty good at the creative side of the business and at teaching others. It gave me an identity that was separate from anything to do with being a mom. It was about so much more than $$ for me, although I did join initially with the thought that the discount would allow me to keep making purchases and that perhaps I might be able to contribute a little $$ to the family during the time that my DH was back in school and we were living solely on his Navy retirement check.
It also gave me a good explanation for the amount of stamping goodies I had in my home ;);). I did feel successful in many ways and enjoyed my time as a demo. If I had lived closer to my upline or in an area where more folks had an interest in stamping, I would probably still be a demo today. For me, life just got too busy in other directions and the pressures started to outweigh the joy.

HOBBYSUE 03-26-2015 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9or18holes (Post 20843651)
Recently learned one of my SU demo's is 'retiring' due to changes the company is introducing that'll affect demo's. Anyone know what those changes are?

Just my 2Cents.....but....this topic has gotten way off the original posters question. :cry: Which I have quoted above. A new thread should be started if you all are going to Demo Bash. I thought the rules were to keep within the intended topic. :confused::confused:

GirlFriday 03-26-2015 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUE (Post 20935608)
Just my 2Cents.....but....this topic has gotten way off the original posters question. :cry: Which I have quoted above. A new thread should be started if you all are going to Demo Bash. I thought the rules were to keep within the intended topic. :confused::confused:

This is just my very humble opinion but this has seemed like a very civil thread with lots of opinions being exchanged and people disagreeing but being adult about it. I haven't seen any demo bashing. Just my 2 cents though. :)

westiemom 03-26-2015 08:01 PM

Actually, this thread has wandered all over so it would be good to get back to the intended topic. There are many demonstrators in this thread (including me) so let's get back to what the upcoming changes are. I will start..... effective June 1st, you will only get one half price item no matter how big your club, party, or order. Currently, you can get up to 4 half price items. Considering the prices of some of the bundles, this is a big loss for some. Not much of a loss for others. There are lots more changes and, at some point, every customer and demonstrator is affected.

ctab 03-27-2015 02:51 AM

Again, I recommend that customers talk to their demo. The hostess plan is changing some negative and some positive, and they can let you know all the details as well as talk to you about any concerns you have, when the best time is to place one last order on the old plan if you want to, etc.

Please, don't be concerned if they haven't talked to you about it yet. I haven't talked to mine yet, because I don't run a club, and I want to see what the new catalog actually looks like before I talk to my customers about it. We still don't know if SU will be offering special hostess offers or something else to sweeten the pot. Many of us want to make sure that we actually have seen and heard everything before we make a big announcement. But, I would certainly be happy to talk with any of my customes that had heard bits and pieces and wanted the full story.

And, please remember that there are demos that are very hurt by these changes, which I can certainly understand. But, to be frank they are most likely going to paint a very ugly picture of a change that in the long is probably not going to be that terrible. That is very natural, and reminds me of big changes made in the past. There are still some non demos on this forum that don't understand how our demo contract and using competitive products work, because of misinformation spread by demos in a similar situation a few years ago. Which, is part of why I think a back and forth fast moving conversation on the Internet is probably not the best way to hear about the nitty gritty of our new hostess plan.

westiemom 03-27-2015 03:28 AM

The only posible positive I see involves demonstrators. The current minimum is $300 per quarter. IF the demonstrator sells $1800 a year or more ($450 per quarter so this is an increase of 50% per quarter off the minimum) their commission will rise to 25% rather than the current 20%. This could be good for demonstrators but I don't see where it is good for customers.
Please feel free to chime in if you know of some positive for customers.

Scottitude 03-27-2015 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctab (Post 20936470)
Again, I recommend that customers talk to their demo. The hostess plan is changing some negative and some positive, and they can let you know all the details as well as talk to you about any concerns you have, when the best time is to place one last order on the old plan if you want to, etc.

Please, don't be concerned if they haven't talked to you about it yet. I haven't talked to mine yet, because I don't run a club, and I want to see what the new catalog actually looks like before I talk to my customers about it. We still don't know if SU will be offering special hostess offers or something else to sweeten the pot. Many of us want to make sure that we actually have seen and heard everything before we make a big announcement. But, I would certainly be happy to talk with any of my customes that had heard bits and pieces and wanted the full story.

And, please remember that there are demos that are very hurt by these changes, which I can certainly understand. But, to be frank they are most likely going to paint a very ugly picture of a change that in the long is probably not going to be that terrible. That is very natural, and reminds me of big changes made in the past. There are still some non demos on this forum that don't understand how our demo contract and using competitive products work, because of misinformation spread by demos in a similar situation a few years ago. Which, is part of why I think a back and forth fast moving conversation on the Internet is probably not the best way to hear about the nitty gritty of our new hostess plan.

So why not just shut down this thread? People don't want to talk about the business aspect of SU, people don't want to talk about why SU and all other MLMs are run the way they are, people don't want to talk about the changes coming up at SU. So what are we doing here then???

I have enjoyed this conversation, even the viewpoints completely opposite to mine. It reminds me that if everybody in the world was just like me, the world would be a pretty boring place. I completely agree with GirlFriday, this has been a mostly civil conversation with a lot of differing viewpoints. I haven't seen anybody demo bash, and I'm pretty sure I read every post. Stating that you think a demo is being pushy when she asks a guest if they want to hold a party is NOT demo-bashing. I'm not dumb, if I want to hold a party I'll say so. To me, asking me at a party whether I want to hold my own party is pushy. In the sales world, it's called "trying to increase sales". I think sales is a pushy industry. In fact I pretty much hate sales. I just want the merchandise put out for me to look at, and I can decide without being prompted. If you want to talk to me about what your favorite ink color is, or why you really love a stamp set, I'm in... and you'll get more sales from me that way than by asking me if I want to hold a party.

What I have been saying is that I think the whole MLM concept needs a huge overhaul so that companies don't have to cause such dissent by making changes that upset their customers and consultants both (italicized so you see I'm still trying to tie back to the original topic of changes to SU). Unfortunately, I'm not a very good business person so I won't be the one to revolutionize direct sales... but I'd love to hear what other people think, because maybe just maybe, conversations like this will someday lead to a better business model.

The reason it may come across that I'm harping on the business model and the "business success" aspect is that if this thread is supposed to be about the changes coming up within SU, don't kid yourselves, those are driven by SU's need to be a successful business... or go belly up.

Personal success does not equal business success. You can go bankrupt but still consider that your personal growth from the experience was a sucess.

As mamaxsix said "I did feel successful in many ways and enjoyed my time as a demo." I think that's great. If you're happy with what you're doing, by all means keep doing it. You are a personal success, and I say that with sincerity.

If every single demonstrator just barely made the minimum quota, there would be no SU, no CTMH, no nothing, and certainly no cruises. If there was no quota, how many of you would actually sell $300 every quarter? You don't get incentives because they think you're successful. It's the other way around, you get incentives because they want you to sell more. It's a little like going to Vegas... you win a little, you think hmm maybe if I just play a little longer I'll win more. So you drop some more money into it. And maybe you win, maybe you don't. The MLM gives you incentives to draw you in. Take for example the new consultant incentive that CTMH is dangling at me. If I sell $300 in 40 days, I get the new rolling tote. Okay so let me break it down... to stay active I have to sell $300 in three months. I have to get that $300 in sales anyhow so why not speed it up a bit, do it in 40 days and get an amazing rolling tote?! To be honest, I'm going to spend that whole $300 myself, because I'll be damned if I'm going to harangue anybody into earning me a rolling tote (and I do really want that tote!!! lol).

I wouldn't mind building a bit of a business. I love teaching, and the only reason I didn't become a teacher is because I like teaching people who want to learn... not people who are there because they have to be. So I would really really like to find customers who genuinely want to come make cards with me. I'm good at coaching people, I express myself clearly, I've never taught a class or workshop that I haven't had at least one person thank me. So that to me is success. Personal success. If I just make my quota by doing that, I'll be happy... but in the business world that doesn't make me a successful business person. I used to teach a fiber arts class where I personally subsidized half the cost of the materials. I didn't want anybody to miss out on the opportunity, and I really enjoyed sharing my passion with people. I felt successful, and thank goodness it wasn't a business because *I* would have gone belly up!

So, I don't know where that leaves this thread. It can either evolve, or it'll go back to demos disagreeing back and forth about what they can or can't disclose and whether this is the appropriate venue... Thoughts?

Scottitude 03-27-2015 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20936476)
The only posible positive I see involves demonstrators. The current minimum is $300 per quarter. IF the demonstrator sells $1800 a year or more ($450 per quarter so this is an increase of 50% per quarter off the minimum) their commission will rise to 25% rather than the current 20%. This could be good for demonstrators but I don't see where it is good for customers.

Aww, westiemom I knew there was a reason I liked you and not just because I'm a scottiemom. ;) Kudos to you for trying to turn this thread back into a positive conversation that everybody can agree on. :)

Scottitude 03-27-2015 04:09 AM

Quote:

If I may... I've never understood why there has to be a minimum amount in order for a hostess to get freebies. The food MLM that I'm a consultant for (because I get discounts on the food I love, hehe) gives a flat 10% to any hostess regardless of the total party sales. I've never heard of other companies doing that, and I think it's a really good incentive for hostesses.

For example, even if you only get $50 in sales at your party, you still get $5 free on a hostess order... which almost automatically entails that you will spend more than just $5... no?

Has SU ever done that in the past? Would it be a worthwhile suggestion to move up the chain?

For what it's worth, I *am* curious about the changes because there is SU product that I like but I don't have a consultant to ask. I like CTMH's white core cardstock for some things, but I don't always feel like coloring the edges of everything I cut out, ya know? And I have a ton of SU ink already so I'm not going to stop using SU just because.

Minders 03-27-2015 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottitude (Post 20936484)
If I may... I've never understood why there has to be a minimum amount in order for a hostess to get freebies. The food MLM that I'm a consultant for (because I get discounts on the food I love, hehe) gives a flat 10% to any hostess regardless of the total party sales. I've never heard of other companies doing that, and I think it's a really good incentive for hostesses.

For example, even if you only get $50 in sales at your party, you still get $5 free on a hostess order... which almost automatically entails that you will spend more than just $5... no?

Has SU ever done that in the past? Would it be a worthwhile suggestion to move up the chain?

For what it's worth, I *am* curious about the changes because there is SU product that I like but I don't have a consultant to ask. I like CTMH's white core cardstock for some things, but I don't always feel like coloring the edges of everything I cut out, ya know? And I have a ton of SU ink already so I'm not going to stop using SU just because.

That's what's great about SCS, you'll almost always get your question answered :-)

ctab 03-27-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

I disagree, but I am not going to get into an argument about it.

ctab 03-27-2015 08:55 AM

Sorry, I was not trying to shut down the thread, but trying to encourage people to talk to their demo who can give them the full story a lot faster and probably more accurately than a fast moving thread.

If you don't have a demo, the demo finder can be a great way to get in touch with a demo and ask her. Or, if you want to make sure she can't be asking you to attend parties contact your favorite Stampin up demo bloggers. I am sure she would be happy to help you understand the new plan and you could put her down as your demo when buying online.

And, of course, ask away here. I think it is just important to realize that the chance of getting the full story on something as complicated as this issue on a forum is very slim. I have seen it happen too many times about other issues to say otherwise.

ctab 03-27-2015 08:57 AM

Oh, and I will happily pass along your idea about a flat percentage for hostess rewards. I think it is a great idea if SU can make it work.

biblesistersmom 03-27-2015 10:43 AM

ctab,
People HAVE been asking here - that's what started this thread. I'm more confused than ever. I order quite a bit of SU stuff, but don't have an active demo. Is there someone reading this thread that could lay it out for us in nice simple terms? I am more interested in information from a customer's perspective - I don't really care what the demos will or won't get because it doesn't affect me personally. (That sounded horribly selfish - sorry!). I just want to know what benefits or freebies I get at each specific level. For example, it the old system, there would be a big jump in benefits between buying $350 and $400, so I would try to maximize my orders so that I got the biggest bang for my buck. If my order came to $380, I would find something else to order to bump me up to the next higher level. I know I'll find out the next time I place an order, but I like to know my options as I am perusing the catty. Thanks.

ctab 03-27-2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmom (Post 20936805)
ctab,
People HAVE been asking here - that's what started this thread. I'm more confused than ever. I order quite a bit of SU stuff, but don't have an active demo. Is there someone reading this thread that could lay it out for us in nice simple terms? I am more interested in information from a customer's perspective - I don't really care what the demos will or won't get because it doesn't affect me personally. (That sounded horribly selfish - sorry!). I just want to know what benefits or freebies I get at each specific level. For example, it the old system, there would be a big jump in benefits between buying $350 and $400, so I would try to maximize my orders so that I got the biggest bang for my buck. If my order came to $380, I would find something else to order to bump me up to the next higher level. I know I'll find out the next time I place an order, but I like to know my options as I am perusing the catty. Thanks.

I don't have the new chart handy as I am out at the moment, but I can tell you that you won't have to jump a level like before to increase your benefits. Each section will have a percentage amount that you will get from your workshop's sales until you jump levels. I love that customers will no longer be penalized by being in the middle of their hostess level. To me, it is one of the benefits of the new hostess plan.

westiemom 03-27-2015 03:17 PM

I will try to lay this out as clearly as I can. The rewards system is changing June 1st. I have not understood the secrecy behind this. SU gave demonstrators a little piece of information every week (well, actually some weeks you went to the webite and it said "no information this week") but each and every demonstrator knew the whole plan before the end of January.
This thread was started because people want to know what the changes are that will affect them. Some people don't have a demonstrator. Some demonstrators are telling. And honestly, I doubt if too many customers care that the demonstrator titles are changing. So I don't think that is what people are asking about. What REALLY affects a customer is the rewards for sales. You can get rewards by having a big enough order, having a party, or being the hostess at a club. Or you can be like the hobby demo and get your rewards for your own order. But so far, I have seen NOTHING that is advantageous to the customer or the hobby demo (me). So yes I am disgruntled. I have never set out to make money on my friends and family and I am on the fence with what I will do.
To the "meat" of the rewards:
This is the current set up:
If your party sales (BEFORETAX& SHIPPING) are $150-$199.99=$25 $200-$249.99=$30 $250-$299.99=$40 $300-$399.99=$50 $400-$499.99=$65 $500-$599.99=$80 $600-$699.99=$100 $700-$799.99= $115 $800-$899.99= $130 $900-$999.99= $145 and $1000 and up is $160 plus 15% of anything over $1000
This plan is good until 5-31-15 at 11:59pm

The new plan starts June 1st. At that time, the reward will be like this:
$150-$299.99= 10% of sales $300-$449.99= 12% of sales $450- $599.99=14% of sales $600 and up=16% of sales

You can talk to your demonstrator but those are the numbers..... right off the SU site. Now alot has been made over getting rewards on every sale without bumping up for the next level. But a few minutes with the calculator will show you that there is a reduction in rewards. Let's say your total is $180...... old plan:$25 rewards new plan $18 rewards $220? old plan:$30 new plan: $22 It does get a little closer the higher the sales go. How about $600? old plan: $100 new plan: $96

You also only get one half price item in the new plan..... at $450 Not many of us are affected by that.
I doubt the customer cares that her demonstrator makes a little more or gets points toward a cruise (don't get me started on the cruises)

Please........ someone show me where this is better for the customer.

beaddict 03-27-2015 03:41 PM

or gets points toward a cruise (don't get me started on the cruises)

I'm curious, if you are a hobby demo and that's all you want to be, then why does the fact that SU chooses to reward the achievers that work hard to make the sales with a cruise bother you so much?

All kinds of places have rewards (trips, monetary, etc) for employees/sales force that meet a minimum requirement to receive a big ticket reward.

ceramicat1 03-27-2015 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20936994)
I will try to lay this out as clearly as I can. The rewards system is changing June 1st. I have not understood the secrecy behind this. SU gave demonstrators a little piece of information every week (well, actually some weeks you went to the webite and it said "no information this week") but each and every demonstrator knew the whole plan before the end of January.
This thread was started because people want to know what the changes are that will affect them. Some people don't have a demonstrator. Some demonstrators are telling. And honestly, I doubt if too many customers care that the demonstrator titles are changing. So I don't think that is what people are asking about. What REALLY affects a customer is the rewards for sales. You can get rewards by having a big enough order, having a party, or being the hostess at a club. Or you can be like the hobby demo and get your rewards for your own order. But so far, I have seen NOTHING that is advantageous to the customer or the hobby demo (me). So yes I am disgruntled. I have never set out to make money on my friends and family and I am on the fence with what I will do.
To the "meat" of the rewards:
This is the current set up:
If your party sales (BEFORETAX& SHIPPING) are $150-$199.99=$25 $200-$249.99=$30 $250-$299.99=$40 $300-$399.99=$50 $400-$499.99=$65 $500-$599.99=$80 $600-$699.99=$100 $700-$799.99= $115 $800-$899.99= $130 $900-$999.99= $145 and $1000 and up is $160 plus 15% of anything over $1000
This plan is good until 5-31-15 at 11:59pm

The new plan starts June 1st. At that time, the reward will be like this:
$150-$299.99= 10% of sales $300-$449.99= 12% of sales $450- $599.99=14% of sales $600 and up=16% of sales

You can talk to your demonstrator but those are the numbers..... right off the SU site. Now alot has been made over getting rewards on every sale without bumping up for the next level. But a few minutes with the calculator will show you that there is a reduction in rewards. Let's say your total is $180...... old plan:$25 rewards new plan $18 rewards $220? old plan:$30 new plan: $22 It does get a little closer the higher the sales go. How about $600? old plan: $100 new plan: $96

You also only get one half price item in the new plan..... at $450 Not many of us are affected by that.
I doubt the customer cares that her demonstrator makes a little more or gets points toward a cruise (don't get me started on the cruises)

Please........ someone show me where this is better for the customer.

Thank you.

As a customer, I'm glad to know this.

westiemom 03-27-2015 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddict (Post 20937034)
or gets points toward a cruise (don't get me started on the cruises)

I'm curious, if you are a hobby demo and that's all you want to be, then why does the fact that SU chooses to reward the achievers that work hard to make the sales with a cruise bother you so much?

All kinds of places have rewards (trips, monetary, etc) for employees/sales force that meet a minimum requirement to receive a big ticket reward.

I wouldn't say it bothers me so much. I will say it annoys me to get emails and read about it. But that money comes from somewhere. I would rather see the product priced more reasonably. Yes, all kinds of sales jobs have big ticket rewards. I have never heard a drug rep talk about his trip to a doctor or office manager or hospital director. Nor do I see them bragging about it on social media. Yes, I know several.

Scottitude 03-28-2015 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmom (Post 20936805)
ctab,

biblesistersmom, that's not selfish at all. Demos have their own demo-only forum here on SCS where they can discuss their end of things to their hearts' content. Don't feel bad at all, that's what this thread is for! :)

Scottitude 03-28-2015 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20937105)
I wouldn't say it bothers me so much. I will say it annoys me to get emails and read about it. But that money comes from somewhere. I would rather see the product priced more reasonably. Yes, all kinds of sales jobs have big ticket rewards. I have never heard a drug rep talk about his trip to a doctor or office manager or hospital director. Nor do I see them bragging about it on social media. Yes, I know several.

I agree. I think from the perspective of those who dislike it, it's been talked to death. I accept that people don't agree with my pov. The bragging on social media is the worse imo. They see it as an incentive for their downline to try harder, but it works in the reverse for me. The more they brag and post photos, the more I distance myself, whether it be as a consultant or as a customer. Because essentially, we all paid for that trip... if they didn't have customers there wouldn't be a company, so really it should be the other way around, send the customers on trips :lol:

beaddict 03-28-2015 08:45 AM

I guess it is all about perspective, isn't it? I don't consider the demos that achieve these trips as bragging at all. I see it as a demo sharing her excitement and ALWAYS thanking her customers for helping her achieve that goal. Some of these people I've met in person and the biggest impression I get from most of them is that are some of the most selfless people I've ever had the privilege of being friends with. It's their willingness to share SO much of their business knowledge with every demo and not just their downline, (and for free) that I admire. All, I know is that their excitement encourages me and maybe someday it will encourage me enough to get off my butt and strive for a cruise or trip or maybe I'll just keep hovering somewhere between a hobby and business demo. And while there are some aspects of the new plan I feel uncertain about, as of now I still love SU products and the company as a whole and I am never at a loss about what to spend my SU budget on.

I do hope that customers will give their demos a chance to continue treating them well, even though things are changing so drastically at the corporate level.
A company has to be able to bend it's branches in the wind or it will not survive during the storm, and when it comes down to it do we as customers/demos want to see A company with products we love close it's doors forever or do we want it to stick around for awhile? Change is never easy, but it is absolutely necessary. And maybe, just maybe, as SU gets better adjusted to it's world market and the economy as a whole improves, well maybe SU will make adjustments yet again that will be more positive for those that are strictly customers.

One more thing. The 1/2 price items have been cut down to one because records show that very few people took advantage of more than 1 half- price item. The average workshop just never gets to a high enough level.

berlycece 03-28-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk (Post 20935363)

I also find it really interesting that when a direct sales person asks someone at a party once if they want to have their own party, they are pushy. Yet, recently I bought something from a popular stamp company (not going to say which one). Since I bought something from them, barely a day has passed without getting an email from this company about various sales (they always seem to be having one), reminding me that "it's almost over!" and "Only one more day!" Yet this is just considered good business and not pushy. Every day I get one of these emails, which I usually delete unopened. when I compare this constant barrage of emails to a sales consultant saying, "How would you like to have your own party?" and taking no for an answer (needless to say your example of the consultant asking over and over again and not knowing the state law on calculating sales tax was terrible and I don't blame you one bit for what you did), I think that compared to most companies, direct sales consultants are far less "pushy" than the average company.

Jan, this is an EXCELLENT point! I order from a few companies online, and get soooooooooo many emails, it drives me crazy. (Mostly because I know I can't keep buying stuff).

I worked as an ED for a non-profit. I didn't sell products, but I had to "sell" the ministry and myself...that is, I had to convince people that it was a worthwhile investment for them. Even (or especially) in fund raising, one has to be careful in approaching people. If I took someone's initial "No" as a final "no" then the ministry would not have grown 5x during my 11 years there. There are many signals that people give...maybe they are interested, but the timing is bad...maybe they need more information...maybe they need to get to know me (the ED, or the demo) a bit more.

As long as SU keeps a workshop/club model, demos will be asking people to host a party, even a catalog party...or to join a club. Some will do it with finesse and success, others will fall short. No different than 31 (bags), Pampered Chef, Trades of Hope, etc.

Do MLM's target women? Sure..but I don't think that's the same as preying on women. MLM's realize that women tend to enjoy shopping more than men do. Women tend to enjoy getting together in someone's home for iced tea or wine or strawberry margaritas while looking over a catalog of some fun products, knowing full well they don't NEED any of it.

PLUS many women want to limit working hours outside the home so that they can spend more time home with kids. MLM's provide women with a boatload of opportunities to do that, plus earn some income...or even a fancy trip. My former upline has gone on the SU trip every year that I have known her. She is in the top tier of demos...and she has EARNED that! I always knew that IF I wanted to get back in the demo ring, and IF I wanted to make this a money making deal, she could provide some great ideas and guidance...but it would be up to ME to make it happen.

I love SU products. This company was the gateway to my card making hobby/obsession. SCS has been the highway on which I've been cruising along for years. I am not privy to the financial status of SU or any other company, but I hope they stick around for a long time. Whether they change business models, or tweak models... no one can deny their tremendous impact on the crafting world!

Besides...I don't know about you, but for years I have seen the world through SU colored eyes. Meaning this...I am wearing a bermuda bay shirt now. Yesterday it was riding hood red. You all know what I'm talking about. ;)

cardmaker2 03-28-2015 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlycece (Post 20937507)
Jan, this is an EXCELLENT point! I order from a few companies online, and get soooooooooo many emails, it drives me crazy. (Mostly because I know I can't keep buying stuff.

I love SU products. This company was the gateway to my card making hobby/obsession.

Besides...I don't know about you, but for years I have seen the world through SU colored eyes. Meaning this...I am wearing a bermuda bay shirt now. Yesterday it was riding hood red. You all know what I'm talking about. ;)

1. I unsubscribe to some of the emails I get and that helps. I scroll on down to the bottom and find the little unsubscribe option!

2. Me too! I was bitten my the bug by a SU workshop and I still prefer their product over most of the rest.

3. And yes I do :) We painted most of our house inside with what can be none other than Sahara Sand. And one bathroom and bedroom is pretty much Soft Sky...

berlycece 03-28-2015 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20937105)

Well, if they don't it's because a drug rep isn't going to recruit a doctor to become a saleswoman for that pharm company.

A SU demo can talk up the trips by saying "YOU can have this too"

And by the way, I know many people in sales...not MLM's, who talk about their trips. Why wouldn't they? It's an accomplishment...and most of us love looking at pictures of our friends celebrating their accomplishments...even if it makes us a tad jealous.

muscrat 03-28-2015 12:07 PM

I'm wearing chocolate chip and pink pirouette at the moment! LOL Yes, I do speak that color language ALL the time!

Annecards 03-28-2015 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlycece (Post 20937524)
Well, if they don't it's because a drug rep isn't going to recruit a doctor to become a saleswoman for that pharm company.

A SU demo can talk up the trips by saying "YOU can have this too"

And by the way, I know many people in sales...not MLM's, who talk about their trips. Why wouldn't they? It's an accomplishment...and most of us love looking at pictures of our friends celebrating their accomplishments...even if it makes us a tad jealous.

I agree. Here's my two cents for what's it's worth. Anytime one works as a sales person for any company, making sales is what it's all about. How many have pulled into a fast food drive thru and been asked, " can I interest you in our ??? today? Stampin Up demos are no different. It's their job to make sales, unless they're in in for the discount only. If I go to any kind of home company party I expect to be asked to consider buying something. When I was a demo classes made the most sense to me. I charged to cover supplies and make a little profit. All invited knew the cost, it was up to the person if they wanted to come. If someone ordered, I applied the class charge toward their purchase. There's absolutely nothing wrong with encouraging sales. I say go out there and do your thing and have fun. If a friend decides you aren't worth being friends with because you asked if they needed something, then that person wasn't a true friend to begin with.

westiemom 03-28-2015 07:30 PM

If a friend decides you aren't worth being friends with because you asked if they needed something, then that person wasn't a true friend to begin with

Going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think friends should expect to sell things to friends or to make money off them. Friends are for fun, support, encouragement, and lots of other things but profit is not one of them.

This is exactly why I could not be a business demo. I don't see my friends as potential income.

Annecards 03-28-2015 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20937874)
If a friend decides you aren't worth being friends with because you asked if they needed something, then that person wasn't a true friend to begin with

Going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't think friends should expect to sell things to friends or to make money off them. Friends are for fun, support, encouragement, and lots of other things but profit is not one of them.

This is exactly why I could not be a business demo. I don't see my friends as potential income.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. My friend doesn't have, I've never pressured, to come make cards or buy anything. If she doesn't want to buy all she had to do is say so, no pressure or hard feelings period.

I respect everyone's opinions, and friends tell me up front they love making cards, but do not want to buy. Other friends don't care about cards or any crafts, and may pop in for coffee only.

Scottitude 03-29-2015 01:12 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by westiemom (Post 20937874)

Maybe my area is more oversaturated with 'home parties' than others, I don't know. All I know is that everybody in my circle of friends, all my co-workers, and pretty much everyone I know either shuts down or their eyes glaze over when any mention of any home party related product is mentioned. In fact, I've worked with certain people in my office for a long time before finding out they were a consultant of some sort, and even then it's a fluke because it is so taboo to talk about around here especially with co-workers. Like I said earlier, I have a couple of friends who outright refused any freebies from me because they wanted nothing to do with anything mlm related. I wasn't doing it as a sales pitch, I was doing it because I like sharing with my friends. In fact, my sister messaged me yesterday and asked what the April specials were. Since I knew the things she wanted weren't on sale, I told her that she could use one of my 1/2 off supply orders. That means no commission for me, and the loss of a consultant perk since I'll have to pay more for the product I would have eventually ordered through that supply order (which doesn't expire either).

That's me, that's who I am, and my friends know that. So I'm not going to cancel my friendship because they abhor the notion of MLMs. My friend Chrystal is one of the most caring, giving, accepting, forgiving, Christian-living ladies I know. She doesn't even know I was hurt by her reaction, nor does she need to know... partly because I get it, my whole body tenses up anytime the mention of an MLM comes up. Her outright refusal was a knee-jerk reaction that is pretty much commonplace in everybody I know.

In fact, I was volunteering at a bridal show the other day, and I happened to glance at a vendor table. When I saw pigment eye shadow I went gaga! Mostly because I love using pigment in paper crafts lol, and I know how well it works in the makeup industry also. Anyhow, we had a big long conversation, and I even asked for her card. I looked at it and looked back up at her and said "Ohhhhh, so THIS is Younique?!!" All I knew was that Younique was an MLM, and I was turned off forever. To me, Younique (Unique) is a character on Glee lol, and I didn't even want to know what they made. And that sentiment is pretty much standard in my area.

So I apologize if my comments seem harsh, and my perspective is negative. The MLM industry has left a bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths. Maybe in other regions the experience is different. Anyhow, I'm going to bow out now, I think we've established that neither 'side' is going to sway the other to their perspective. I just don't want to be perceived as a negative person, because I work really hard not to be, and I do try to see the good in everyone.

TrollBlossom 04-18-2015 08:26 PM

--