Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watercolor crayons, Prisma Pencils, or ???

I am going to sign up as a demonstrator next month and was going to buy the watercolor crayons with my first order. I already have the full set of markers, all the craft spots, and all but a couple classic ink pads.

Now I'm torn! Should I go ahead with the watercolor crayons or buy the Prisma pencils instead? I'm not really an artist or a *great* colorist. I'm working on that. I'm more of a layout person. :-) But I love the look of the Prismas. I can't buy them both right now, so which should I get first? Or should I just be happy with what I have? Or is there something else I should buy instead? Come on, all you enablers! Talk me into *something*!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 01:51 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Start with the Watercolor Pencils...you can get rich colors like the prisma with a little water added and more pencil or lighter with less water. I love both, but like you... didn't do much coloring until now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 02:11 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysings
I am going to sign up as a demonstrator next month and was going to buy the watercolor crayons with my first order. I already have the full set of markers, all the craft spots, and all but a couple classic ink pads.

Now I'm torn! Should I go ahead with the watercolor crayons or buy the Prisma pencils instead? I'm not really an artist or a *great* colorist. I'm working on that. I'm more of a layout person. :-) But I love the look of the Prismas. I can't buy them both right now, so which should I get first? Or should I just be happy with what I have? Or is there something else I should buy instead? Come on, all you enablers! Talk me into *something*!
Well it depends... if you are looking for additional things to demostrate then WCC are a great choice since you can't demo the Prisma pencils plus this will be the best time to purchase the WCC with your first order with a 30% discount. If you demo the WCC at enough workshop then they pay for themselves.

Prisma pencils are wonderful and you could start with a small set or get a larger set off of ebay for about $30. I have them both and love them for different projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 02:16 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a emo, but I would say the WWC. As a SU demo, you need to be able to show your products to your customers.

You can always get a few Prismacolors as you go and work them into your demos.

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysings

I am signing up this next week as a demo and am ordering the watercolor crayons. I have the watercolor pencils. I am no "colorist" either and do not get a look I like with any watercolor media. I have the prisma pencils and love them. I have only had them for 2 weeks and love the results! But if I had a choice when doing my "Big" order that I get my discount on -I choose the watercolor crayons. I can get the prismas anytime but only get that good price on the crayons then. I will be trying to get sales from the crayons and can't "show" the prismas. I personally hope that they come out with the pure color pencils (SU's version of Prismas) in all 48 colors in the new catty and I will get those.

If you are doing the demo thing as a hobby wait on the new catty and see if they have upgraded to a 48 set of pure color pencils and if not get Prismas. If you want to demo as a business - still wait on the catty for the 48 and if not go with the crayons.

Just my thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've got both and love them equally. I'm not a demo, but it would make sense to get the one you can demo with FIRST (the watercolor crayons), and then use your profits from the sales of wcc to buy your Prismas.
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really like the watercolor crayons. They are easy to use and no odor! I haven't had the kind of success with the prisma and gamsol..I think it takes a lot of practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them both and while I like them both I prefer the WWC and find them easier to use. As a new demo you will definitely want more things you can show customers!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2006, 06:17 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, everyone. I can't believe you all talked me down! :-) The enablers must be on vacation! I know you're right--I should just get the watercolor crayons to start. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes