Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-09-2006, 02:00 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Default CD cases vs. binders for UMs?

Which option is best? Opinions please, before I start filing my UMs and unmounting the rest of my mounted stamps.
Also, when filing your UMs do you mix sets or keep them in sets? For example, if you're filing word UMs, do you mix different companies' stamps, or words from different sets, like all your Happy Birthday stamps together? I have stamps from so many companies that there's no way I would remember what Co. a certain stamp was made by if I had in mind to make a card.
Thanks for the help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi!
My stamps are stored by theme, not by company. My stamps are unmounted, I used Aileene's Tack it over and over and I store in 1" binders. I only have multiple binders of a theme for Christmas, florals, backgrounds and alphabets. All other themes fit in a binder. In some binders I have several themes. Birthday, Graduation and Babies.

It doesn't matter if it's SU or another company, all the word stamps are stored by theme, Birthday, Thank You, get well, etc. Now that I am no longer a demo I don't have to keep my images by current or retired either.

The binders are the easiest for me. I can have a lot of images in a small space.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Neither! I store my un-mounted stamps by set, in 6 x 9 catalog envelopes sealed and cut in half. I use a 4 x 6 photo holder to attach my stamps to and file them in a Karen Foster Snap & Scrap box with lid.

Less room and faster to get to.

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 07-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I use Cd cases and store them buy theme, that's how I have all my other stamps stored by already. I use deep clear plastic drawer bins to store all my stamps and the CD case fit nicely into them like a file cabinet. I just stamp an index card and slide it into the front of the case. I thought a binder would get to bulky and heavy. So, this works well for me.
HTH

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Old 07-09-2006, 03:04 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I use 6" x 9" envelopes, folded down so a 5 3/4"x 5 3/4"" piece of cardstock fit stuggly it it (copied this from CTMH, their envelopes are similar in size). I put four or five rows of double stick tape on the cardstock, attach my ums on the cardstock (I have a set of blocks that I use for just rubber ums that has double stick tape on them all the time, just put my ums on the tape and stamp away, when they quit sticking, just replace the tape, works great). The front of the envelope is stamped with the images held inside. Mine are stored by manufacturer. Each envelope is numbered. These are stored in an Iris cart drawer. I have a 3 ring binder that has every image I own stamped on cardstock, these pages are done by theme and if it is an umounted, it has the envelope # next to the company name so I know where to find it.

All my mounted stamps are stored by manufacturer but the stamped image in my binder is by theme with the company name. Works great for me.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I use CD cases and store all my stamps by theme rather than by company.

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Old 07-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I use CD cases and store by sets.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 07-09-2006, 09:54 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

For those of you that use the CD cases, what do you do when the stamps are too large to fit into the case? I didn't think about that possiblity when I bought the CD cases. Luckily I only have a few unmounted stamps from the Eureka sale.

Debbie
Old 07-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I do the CD case thing too, and after getting a few stamps from Eureka that just barely fit, I plan to either have a thin binder for large stamps, or start a photo box system.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:16 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Oops, forgot to add that these are my contingency plans for if I ever do get stamps that are too large for a CD case. I am quite happy with the whole CD case thing, especially cos I haven't had to buy any cases yet.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:09 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I store them in CD cases by set...I love being able to flip through them like we "used" to do with records. But I have filled up two drawers now in an iris cart with no signs of stopping! sigh... I think I may use the binders for my larger ribbon stamps and background stamps.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I use CD cases, keeping sets together. Tried the binder method, but I don't have a lot of table space and it was a pain in the %@# to deal with the big, bulky binder every time I wanted to stamp. I'm one of those stampers who has 10 sets out at a time (decisions, decisions!) and I can have a bunch out at a time and stack them in a wee space. The stamps that are too big are in a binder on the white sheets we sell.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default CD cases

and filed by sets (in alpha order) but with a binder of sheets with images stamped on them and the set names. That way I flip through the binder, find the images and then pull them. For those stamps that are too large for CD cases I bought a few DVD cases. Some of my sets use 2 CD cases, and I just stack them one over the other. Each case has a label with the name and an image of the stamps in that set so I can see at a glance what should be in the case. So far it has worked for me, but need to work on the notebook and organize those by themes...... one of these days! LOL
Old 07-10-2006, 03:52 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I store mine right now in cd cases,But I like the idea of a binder since it's much easier to jusrt flip thru and see all the sts right there in front of me Plus.It's like a catalog.I store my by theme's
Old 07-10-2006, 03:59 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Since I'm an Angel for TAC, I store mine by sets and keep my TAC stuff stored seperatly from my stuff from other companies. But I use both a binder system and CD cases. For alphabet sets and over-sized sets I use the thin plastic storage sheets, for everything else I use CD cases stored in narrow carts designed for CD cases.

HTH,
Dee Dee
Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

I use the Binder and it works perfectly for me!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:40 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

CD cases by theme. Put the long stamps on the diagonal in the case. Large backgrounds go by 5 per SU background case that they came in and labeled on the side and put in a bookcase.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:43 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I use the CD cases for smaller stamps, and a 3 rng binder for the larger ones, or sets that I want to keep together.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:52 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

I finally started organizing mine this weekend (thank heavens I've been more of a paper and coloring collector up to this point), but I'm using both.

Most sets go in cd cases (multiple cases if the set needs it.) Alphabets, anything that doesn't fit in a cd case, and a couple of big sets that used to be on foam blocks (which I umounted) go in a zippered binder. I also have some wood-mounted stamps that I don't want to unmount just yet; those stay in the iris carts. Sets all stay together.

I'm working on an index in a binder where everything is stamped in every category it could belong in (like a leaf could go under trees, nature, autumn) and is coded with a location (Binder # or CD #) so that I can look thru it when I'm looking for an image and don't remember what set it belongs with.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:02 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I do similar to Karen and Michelle above...I use a card to attach the stamps to, and place in an envelope. However, I make my own cards and envelopes. Here is a link to the directions:
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...d.php?t=159196

I found that way too many (for my liking that is) of my stamps and/or sets would not fit in a cd case. Binders don't appeal to me for 2 reasons: one, my cabinet is not set up for binders, it has drawers; and two, they don't seem to be convenient to transport...I'd have to take too many just to have certain sets. I wanted my rubber so that there was absolutely NO chance of losing even the littlest stamp.

So...I created an envelope template that fits a sheet of cardstock perfectly, and the card or cards to go inside. (see above post for details) So far it is perfect. They fit in my drawers just right.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Diane -

I printed out your directions - I may just decide to switch over to your system! There's nothing more frustrating than realizing that I'm out of cd cases and have to stop what I'm doing when I'm really in an organizing groove.

Have you ever tried cold laminate or clear contact paper instead of having the card heat laminated?
Old 07-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

No, I haven't--it has seemed to me that the cold laminate is kind of pricey... and contact paper isn't as sturdy as I would like. I wanted a slightly heavier film so that the card would be sturdy, not floppy.

After I posted those directions, I called and found that my teacher's store isn't there anymore! Then I had a "DUH" moment. I have access to heat laminators at two different places, so I'll just go buy laminating sheets at Office Depot or Sams and laminate either at work or at church. What was I thinking of?!?!?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:58 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I store mine in binders, it just works better in my storage area. I prefer this method because I like flipping through a binder and seeing what I have. I do not break up my sets but do organize them according to themes. For instance all Flower sets together, backgrounds, alphabets, etc. I have a stamped index or a photo copy of the set next to the stamps.