Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Caution!! This is a question about unmounting

I have very limited funds but am going to unmount my stamps as I just don't have any space. My friend and I have been looking at that foam stuff you are supposed to use and found that it's going to be expensive to buy enough for all our stamps. So we were trying to brainstorm and we thought we were ripping the foam off our stamps just to put it back on. So now we are just taking them off the wood blocks and I got vinyl like you use to cover your furniture or tablecloths for $2.99/yd and it's 54 inches wide. So I bought a 6 x 4 1/2 foot sheet of vinyl for $6. I'm sticking my rubber and foam to it ,trimming it, and then brushing Tack it over and over on the back. Does this sound like it will work to you guys who have gone unmounted already?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I forgot! Has anybody ever shopped from this website? They have a good price on TIOAO.
http://www.save-on-crafts.com/index
Old 06-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

You could also just strip your stamps down to the bare rubber and use double sided tape to affix the rubber to acrylic blocks. That's what I've done and it works just great with my SU stamps. I store the rubber pieces in baseball card holders I found at the dollar store. They all go in a binder organized like the catty. HTH!!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Go down to the rubber! I use no cushion at all on any of my stamps!

All of my SU is unmounted - all my TAC is unmounted and I have no problem stamping with any of them!

Why waste the $$ to buy the EZ Mount!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
I personally prefer using the cling foam - but it is expensive to change them over all at once.

I have a friend who swears by the double-sided tape method - and she's a very talented stamper who does lovely work.

There's really no bad side to stripping down to just rubber. If you decide later that you need the cushion, you can always add it!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol LeeView Post
I have very limited funds but am going to unmount my stamps as I just don't have any space. My friend and I have been looking at that foam stuff you are supposed to use and found that it's going to be expensive to buy enough for all our stamps. So we were trying to brainstorm and we thought we were ripping the foam off our stamps just to put it back on. So now we are just taking them off the wood blocks and I got vinyl like you use to cover your furniture or tablecloths for $2.99/yd and it's 54 inches wide. So I bought a 6 x 4 1/2 foot sheet of vinyl for $6. I'm sticking my rubber and foam to it ,trimming it, and then brushing Tack it over and over on the back. Does this sound like it will work to you guys who have gone unmounted already?

Carol,

You can purchase the Fun foam from a wal-mart and use that to put on your stamps.. and then use the Tack it over and over glue And then use the Acrylic block

The fun foam comes in a larger sheet.

Along time ago I used this for some of my unmounted stamps and it worked great. I still have some of those stamps that I used the fun foam on... and I still work as good as they did when I put it on.

This is just a idea.. and then you can store them in CD cases or Stamp Storage boards...What ever you wish to do with your stamps
Old 06-08-2007, 04:26 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I should add that I keep some EZ mount on hand for the stamps that don't unmount easily. Sometimes the foam sticks or the adhesive is ultra sticky and it's too time consuming to pick all of it off the rubber. In that case, I stick it on the EZ mount!

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eyelet..."
Gallery & Blog
Old 06-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

All of my SU is unmounted - all my TAC is unmounted and I have no problem stamping with any of them!

I have to totally agree with the others above who've said to go down to the bare rubber. About 2 years ago I did this and have NEVER regretted it once. Why waste your money on more cushion and gunk to put on them when they work just as well without it? They also take up less space and are easier to clean.

I did not like the TIOAO at all because after time, it ended up coming off the backs of the stamps and sticking to the plastic pages I was storing them on. And it was not easy to get off hundreds of stamps either after I worked so hard to put it on. Also, you have to reapply it ever so often.

Why not give it a try first before you decide to put more stuff on them? If you are concerned about getting a clean, crisp image because of no cushion, do what I and many of us do. Stamp on top of a mouse pad. It works perfectly. Whatever you do, I would suggest just trying a few stamps for a month or so and decide how you like it before you do it to all of them. I had really sore fingers because I didn't think to try a few first. I actually tried 3 different things, and had to "fix" hundreds of stamps 3 times. DUH!!!

If you have any questions about my method, feel free to pm me any time. I'd be glad to give you any suggestions or let you know my experience with unmounting. HTH!

Sandy Dittmer
Old 06-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Have you tested whether the vinyl you are putting on the back of stamp provides enough cling to the acrylic block? You may not need to put the temp glue on there if it works. I read in other threads that some people use a vinyl cling, but haven't seen it or tried it myself.

Sandy, what do you use to stick the bare rubber to the acrylic block without using temp glue?

~ Kathy

Old 06-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikimomView Post
Have you tested whether the vinyl you are putting on the back of stamp provides enough cling to the acrylic block? You may not need to put the temp glue on there if it works. I read in other threads that some people use a vinyl cling, but haven't seen it or tried it myself.

Sandy, what do you use to stick the bare rubber to the acrylic block without using temp glue?

~ Kathy
Hi Kathy,

I put anywhere from 1 to 3 strips of 3M Poster Tape (#109) on each acrylic block depending on the size of the block. (You can get this at any office supply store, and even Target, Walmart, etc.) I can still see through the blocks fine, and this type of tape comes off easy and clean when I need to remove it (when it loses its stickiness). I've had them this way for over 2 years, and it works great! Most of them I have not even had to replace the tape yet. If you get the wrong type of double stick tape, it is a pain to get off. This stuff is great.

I store my blocks sticky side down on the backing from Xyron runners, or any other type of non-stick paper you can find (parchment paper, waxed paper, etc. would work fine).

HTH!

Sandy
Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just wanted to let you know that this method is working great for me. The stamps with the vinyl covering sticks to the acrylic blocks fine but not to my dividers in the folder so I painted on a thin layer of TIOAO. It doesn't leave residue on the block. If my stamps don't have enough sticky left to stick to the vinyl, I whack 'em with a little rubber cement. It's time consuming though. I have only done 3 sets but they are all on 1 page so I'm happy that I'll be able to have all my stamps in my "stamping area".
Old 06-12-2007, 09:50 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

How much were you looking to buy? You can get several sets on one sheet, I think I got on average of 6-8 depending on the size of the stamps....and if you order from cornish hertitage farms dot com you get free shipping on orders over $25. I think for my 90 sets I did I used 13 sheets.....

Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

I use "Tack n' Peel" It works great! You just cut a piece to fit your acrylic block and adhere it. You leave the top sheet on so you can keep it from collecting dust. Just remove it when before you put the stamp on. You don't need any foam between the stamp and the block. I haven't tried it without foam as all my stamps right now have the foam attached and I didn't mess with trying to take it off.
This method is really a lot cheaper than buying EZ Mount over and over again IMO.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

That's why I wasn't buying EZ Mount...it seemed like a rip-off to me. The vinyl is working great though and I have a big 4 1/2 x 6 foot sheet of it for $6!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

Carol- I'm just wondering why you added the vinyl instead of merely putting the TIO right onto the existing foam cushion. Seems as if you are adding a step (and an expense) that you dont need. Oh, I bet it's so that you can stamp an index?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:22 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I forgot to add to my post that I'm glad you've found a system that is working for you
Old 06-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Default tacknpeel question

Quote:

Originally Posted by GymnasticsmomView Post
I use "Tack n' Peel" It works great! You just cut a piece to fit your acrylic block and adhere it. You leave the top sheet on so you can keep it from collecting dust. Just remove it when before you put the stamp on. You don't need any foam between the stamp and the block. I haven't tried it without foam as all my stamps right now have the foam attached and I didn't mess with trying to take it off.
This method is really a lot cheaper than buying EZ Mount over and over again IMO.
gymnasticsmom- I just wanted to clarify about the tacknpeel. can you use this with unmounted rubber that has the sticky foam still attached? (you know the residue that you get after unmounting from wood). And is the TNP totally clear, or does is get cloudy after a bit? I had a block with TIO glue on it but didnt like it that much 'cause the block was not clear, but translucent and it cut down on the view too much for my liking. Just wondering about your take on the tacknpeel
Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I added the vinyl originally as my friend and I were trying to just stick the stamp to the vinyl and the vinyl by itself to the acrylic block and that does work fine. I had to add the TIOAO because the stamps then wouldn't stick on the page protector sheets in my binder....they were too slippery so I used the TIOAO on them and now it works. I only use a little big to get them to stick and the bottle was less than $4 so hopefully 1 bottle will go a long way.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I saw a post some where else the other day where some one had used the repositionable glue....put the glue on the back of the rubber...let it dry and it stuck like a post it note would stick...and it wasn't that TIOAO stuff that they used...I wish I could remember exactly which brand she said she used....

Stamp S'More

Gallery
Old 06-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

You can save yourself the step of adding the vinyl to the stamp and apply the TIOAO directly to the leftover adheasive on the foam. I've done this with a few steps to test and it worked great. HTH
Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Yes, you can use the Scotch Repositionable glue stick and they work just fine!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Old 06-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

KP - What do you use on your bare rubber?? I just got more TAC stamps and ordered a few SU sets and I'd like to try it without the EZMount. TIA
Sally Taylor, Fun Stampers Journey Coach #1118

My FSJ site
Old 06-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

Subscribing

If I have God and my health, I have everything.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

BTT

Got a question........I'm ordering my 1st SU stamp sets and I don't want to mount these on the wood and I don't want the added expense of buying the EZ mount sheets.....How do I "assemble" the stamps once I get them? Does the SU stamps come with the foam already attached? If so, do I need to remove it? Help!!!

p.s. I plan on using acrylic blocks with the double stick poster tape
Old 06-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I leave the cushion and rubber from SU sets on the original brown paper, store them in an invitation sized envie. I've indexed them on that. The rest I use bare rubber. If I need a cushion (and some stamps do), I use a CTMH foamy piece that is in every stamp set under my paper. No cost and very effective especially with the large stamps. No uneven stamping!
Old 06-16-2007, 07:24 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by junebugstamperView Post
I leave the cushion and rubber from SU sets on the original brown paper, store them in an invitation sized envie. I've indexed them on that. The rest I use bare rubber. If I need a cushion (and some stamps do), I use a CTMH foamy piece that is in every stamp set under my paper. No cost and very effective especially with the large stamps. No uneven stamping!
I forgot to mention that I just use some Scotch double sided tape on my acrylic block. If I haven't been able to get all of the adhesive off of my stamp, I just store it in one of my envies on a piece of clear file folders.