Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Caution with baby wipes!!!! (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/caution-baby-wipes-282944/)

stamps&cars 09-01-2007 09:22 AM

Caution with baby wipes!!!!

This was shared on another board I'm on.

"There is a letter in Rubber Stamper by titled Don't Hurt Stamps! on page 11 that says to be sure there is NO lanolin in the baby wipes you use and Alan goes on to say that lanolin is a fatty acid that attacks rubber.

Sue Lorang (sue4stampin)"

I know that many of you use baby wipes to clean your stamps and such so thought this information was important to know!!

Mothermark 09-01-2007 10:03 AM

Yikes!

Cynamom 09-01-2007 10:21 AM

Evil lanolin! Just the thought of my stamps being attacked makes me feel sick! :)

stamps&cars 09-01-2007 12:06 PM

bump.....cause we don't want our stamps to be ruined!!

cardscrapperk 09-01-2007 12:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if mine are lanolin free or not!

mspfd 09-01-2007 12:24 PM

I thought it was the alcohol we had to worry about, now lanolin? What about aloe vera?

Samm 09-01-2007 12:53 PM

Crikey, I'm off to check mine!!!:(

TJStamper 09-01-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynamom (Post 7055831)
Evil lanolin! Just the thought of my stamps being attacked makes me feel sick! :)

tee hee ... that was funny Cynamom!!

Erin McMilon 09-01-2007 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mspfd (Post 7056780)
I thought it was the alcohol we had to worry about, now lanolin? What about aloe vera?

alcohol? on my poor babies bottoms? for real - i need to read the label... i wouldn't think that there would be alcohol in them wet naps like at a restaurant or in a first aid kit maybe - i worry for lots of little bottoms, my boys and my stamps!

CardFanatic 09-01-2007 03:12 PM

I just checked mine. It has lanolin. :(

CardFanatic 09-01-2007 03:16 PM

If anyone has wipes without lanolin, please post and tell us what brand it is. Thanks!

llevans 09-01-2007 03:49 PM

thanks for the info - I use wipes on my background stamps. I'll start reading labels now!

Jillgunter 09-01-2007 04:15 PM

Man, this is crazy:( Ok here is some info for the baby wipe girls out there! (we have a 17 month old, so we go thru alot of wipes)

Pampers Clean n Go wipes do NOT have lanolin, but are not fragrance or alcohol free. These are kind of new.

Target Brand DOES have lanolin.

Huggies Natural Care do NOT have lanolin. And are fragrance and alcohol free.

So Huggies seem the best bet:)

AlysonRR 09-01-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70 (Post 7057927)
If anyone has wipes without lanolin, please post and tell us what brand it is. Thanks!

I'm allergic to lanolin, so I know that Huggies Natural Care doesn't have any.

Gina K. Designs 09-01-2007 04:29 PM

Lanolin makes acrylic nails lift too. LOL!

trudee 09-01-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillgunter (Post 7058406)

Oh that is a relief!! that's what I use!! Thanks for the heads up, Ann!!!

ckidd 09-01-2007 04:56 PM

I use the Cottonelle moist wipes - you know, the ones that use the cute little golden retriever puppy to advertise them? (Let's face it, that is why I bought them in the first place.) Anyway, I just checked and they say alcohol free and lanolin is not listed in the ingredients. I really like them because they don't leave lint all over my stamps and don't smell like a baby's freshly wiped butt. <grin>

Connie

stamp1 09-01-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70 (Post 7057927)

Albertsons store brand is lanolin-free. They're also cheaper than a lot of the others. I bought some today, $5.49 for a package of 240. They're also pretty thick.

cardscrapperk 09-01-2007 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jillgunter (Post 7058406)
Man, this is crazy:( Ok here is some info for the baby wipe girls out there! (we have a 17 month old, so we go thru alot of wipes)

Pampers Clean n Go wipes do NOT have lanolin, but are not fragrance or alcohol free. These are kind of new.

Target Brand DOES have lanolin.

I use Target brand wipes:( , guess I'd better to switch to Huggies! Thanks for posting this!:)

parknslide 09-01-2007 07:04 PM

Don't know if this was just a sales technique but at a stamp show I was told that baby wipes can not only harm stamps but also harm your ink pads.

Rox71 09-01-2007 07:22 PM

I use an inexpensive brand found at Walmart for .86 named Moist Wipes which comes in an aqua refill package. No lanolin listed and the good news is that it does have glycerin which is good for the rubber.

They are not real thick but they work fine and I don't get the fuzzies like some brands leave on the rubber.

daquiri35 09-01-2007 07:36 PM

Not good, I just checked mine. I've been using the Parent's Choice from Walmart, they have lanolin, eek! I've had the Huggies Natural Care in the past but I don't remember if they leave lint on the stamps -Can anyone answer that?
Darcy

dstfrommi 09-01-2007 07:46 PM

I have the Pampers Lavendar Calming wipes and they don't have Lanolin listed in their ingredients. They are also alcohol free. The smell is soft and lovely I think. :rolleyes:

sherristampsalot 09-01-2007 07:51 PM

ohmygosh! I've been using Target for Newborns for my BG stamps and bad stains because I knew aloe vera and alcohol were bad and they don't have those things...but I just checked and Lanolin is the 3rd ingredient!!! oh no!

Rox71 09-01-2007 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherristampsalot (Post 7060811)
ohmygosh! I've been using Target for Newborns for my BG stamps and bad stains because I knew aloe vera and alcohol were bad and they don't have those things...but I just checked and Lanolin is the 3rd ingredient!!! oh no!

What I listed above has aloe in it, so do you know why it's bad?

Ellibelle 09-01-2007 07:59 PM

I have Pampers unscented, didn't see lanolin listed as an ingredient, but there are many other chemical names listed. Hope nothing's bad for the stamps.

daquiri35 09-01-2007 08:28 PM

Does this apply to clear stamps as well?
Darcy

stamp1 09-01-2007 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daquiri35 (Post 7061065)
Does this apply to clear stamps as well?
Darcy

The article mentioned only real rubber stamps.

Boss 09-01-2007 08:42 PM

Just checked the ones I use - Pure and Gentle Wipes from Walmart. No lanolin, no alcohol, but they DO have glycerin. :D They are also cheap (tub of 140 for under $2) and are lint free.

Pure and Gentle wipes are unscented, so for those who don't want smelly wipes, these are for you! :)

Japan 09-01-2007 11:51 PM

Am I the only one that actually uses the Stampin' Scrub and Mist? I made the switch a while ago and am much happier for it. No more baby wipes' fuzzies on my stamps... and apparently no rubber-eating materials in it either.

RJP111 09-02-2007 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GinaK (Post 7058553)
Lanolin makes acrylic nails lift too. LOL!

Ack! I'll have to remember that!

I just bought a package of Pure'nGentle wipes. They are alochol free & hypoallergenic. I did not see lanolin listed as an ingredient, so I'm thinking this brand is OK for my stamps (and my nails!)

CardFanatic 09-02-2007 06:50 AM

Thanks for the help ladies. :-D

I have Huggies on the shopping list. I never go to Walmart, but if I ever do, I'll look for those wipes. I've never heard of Albertson's.

Carol Lee 09-02-2007 07:03 AM

My friend has been using dish soap and a scrubber on her stamps for 20 years with no problems. I use window washing stuff with vinegar watered down for mine. No problems here either.

gailwoo 09-02-2007 07:07 AM

thank goodness I have been using Huggies since my little dd (and she is now 14 and a freshman in HS);
no walmart here in san francisco, so will continue to use Huggies. I do periodically use stamp cleaner to condition, but always follow up w/ water mist and scrubber.

thanks for the heads up, will look for wipes w/ glycerine!

gail

AmyR 09-02-2007 07:16 AM

Crud I just checked the ones I use (Kirkland Signature from Costco) and they DO have lanolin in them darnit!!!!

scpd 09-02-2007 07:16 AM

It's a grocery chain on the West Coast. :mrgreen:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70 (Post 7062988)
I've never heard of Albertson's.

sarahjane 09-02-2007 09:08 AM

I am wondering how lanolin can be that harmful when it is one of the only things you can put on when you are breastfeeding?

Pearlann66 09-02-2007 09:20 AM

I've been using baby wipes for 7-8 years and I admit I use the cheapest ones I can get! The no name kind that you get at the dollar stores. I have no idea what they have in them but I have NEVER Had a problem with my rubber, on occasion i have got the kind that leave fuzzies so then I try to buy different cheapies.
Maybe it takes many years for the attack to happen?

bnlnkids 09-02-2007 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japan (Post 7061610)
Am I the only one that actually uses the Stampin' Scrub and Mist? I made the switch a while ago and am much happier for it. No more baby wipes' fuzzies on my stamps... and apparently no rubber-eating materials in it either.

I was wondering that myself! LOL :???: I can understand the wipes possibly being more cost efficient in the long run, but at what cost to your stamps? :(

IMO, I prefer to use a product for what it was intended. I just dilute my Stampin' Mist with a little bit of water to make it stretch. My stamps still get clean and I'm *completely confident* that there's no harm being done to them. Just my 02�! :)

CardFanatic 09-02-2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnlnkids (Post 7063913)
I was wondering that myself! LOL :???: I can understand the wipes possibly being more cost efficient in the long run, but at what cost to your stamps? :(

IMO, I prefer to use a product for what it was intended. I just dilute my Stampin' Mist with a little bit of water to make it stretch. My stamps still get clean and I'm *completely confident* that there's no harm being done to them. Just my 02�! :)

For me, the benefit of wipes is the convenience. I hate washing the stampin scrub pads. They get dirty fast because I stamp often.