Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creative Solutions?

I'm hoping you all can help me come up with a list of creative solutions for when you want to use a dark colored cardstock for the base of your card (Basic Black, Chocolate Chip) but you also want to write inside of it. For example, I love this card, but I couldn't write inside it as it is: Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I know I could use a gel pen or slap a layer of white CS inside, but what I'd rather have is a list of some innovative ideas for laying out a card so that it looks like it has a dark base/background, but really you've got a light/writable base. Can you help me?

Links to cards you've seen would be MOST helpful! Thanks! :mrgreen:

my blog | the hybrid chick
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually do all of my cards like you would a card front and glue them onto a premade card (in white or vanilla). Uses less SU cardstock and allows me to give them to people (like my g'ma) that can't see well. I usually just buy value packs of premade cards and envies when they're on sale at Michael's. I lay the folded card onto the cardstock, trace it with a pen, cut it out a little larger than the tracing, glue it on, then trim it to make sure it fits right. I'm sorry but I haven't set up my gallery yet to show you a pic (although I have tons on my camera to unload)!

If you want to use SU stuff, you could just make a card out of light colored cardstock and then do what I do with the premade cards above.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 02:37 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I like having a dark base, too. I usually end up matting a piece inside in a lighter accent colour taken from the front. Using your card as an example, I probably would mat up the Orchid and Brown up like you did on the windows on the front. You would be able to write on the Orchid much easier than the Brown and it provides continuity in the look from the front. You can always add other little accents inside that coordinate with the front, too. Sorry I don't have a photo, I never scan the inside of the cards and I usually don't finish them off to that point until right before I send them. Hope that gives you one idea though!

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2006, 03:09 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for your input!

ps. that card is not mine. It's in my Favorites to CASE someday...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

When using dark colored cardstock, I'll usually line the inside of mine with a sheet of smooth photocopy/printer paper. The added bonus is that I can use the printer to print any sentiment desired. I adhere it with spray adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2006, 09:52 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnhyrkas
When using dark colored cardstock, I'll usually line the inside of mine with a sheet of smooth photocopy/printer paper. The added bonus is that I can use the printer to print any sentiment desired. I adhere it with spray adhesive.
I like to do that too. I even bought a ream of ivory printer paper for last years Christmas cards so it would look more elegant with the front! I cut my liner paper just a little smaller (about 1/4" less each direction) so an 1/8" of the main card color shows around the liner. (I line the full inside of the card - the liner is folded also, just like the card. KWIM?)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

If anyone else is watching this thread...I did see a good idea for a layout: Someone made a tri-fold card (like this: Tri-Fold Card) and instead of just scoring a normal card (like you see in mine), she used a sheet of light colored cardstock and scored it (imagine CS in the shape of a Z) to fit around a single layer of dark CS.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2006, 02:44 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default beautiful

That's a beautiful card. Where do you guys get all these ideas on how to make them? I would really love to know.

Stephanie
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Right here on SCS! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 06:18 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Default Finishing the inside of cards

I had a card kicking around that has the inside finished. If I am doing a special card, and not worried about postage, I finish the inside of all of them, even if they are on light card stock.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

I am not sure if I am keen on the idea of layering the inside... I am new to cardmaking and LOVE the darker stock as a base... I have been using the GEL pen to write messages... I do like the post prior to this one with the finished inside... The gel pen is still my fav.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2006, 07:24 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

This is what I like to do too. I saw a card in Target that had just one edge of the inside liner (which is just a slightly heavier sheet of photocopy paper--pick your color) glued down to the cardstock and I thought it looked very elegant. So I use the mono to tape down one edge of the liner...looks kinda neat. I have also taped down the very center of the liner. And the plus is if you don't have very many stamp sayings (like me) then you can print it on the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default This is what I do

I use artist tracing paper on the inside of my cards. It is kind of see through like vellum but cheaper. You can get a pack on the artist aisle of any craft store. I use it the same way that other posters have used copy paper. I can print out any sentiment that I like and I cut it so that there is a 1/8" border all around the inside (both flaps). I then tape or glue it to just the crease (where the card is folded).
Does that make sense - I wish I had a picture but I never take pictures of the inside of my cards.
Anyway, doing it this way gives it a wonderful, finished, professional look. Kind of like how hallmark cards will have a sheet inside that isn't completely glued on, you know?

HTH,
Christine

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 05:05 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sue and Christine - I don't spend time looking at cards (guess I need to try that again). I am trying to visualize your inside layers. If they are taped along one edge - is that at the top (if that is the open edge) or along the left, folded edge? And Christine - did you mean the vellum like layer is double - basically covering the left and right hand side?
I like the idea of tracing paper.

Thanks for all of these ideas.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, the tracing paper covers both the right and left sides with an 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch border. And it is attached at the fold (in the middle). Does that make sense?

The reason I use tracing paper is because it gives it a sheer quality without having to use more expensive vellum, plus vellum is hard to print on if you have an inkjet printer like I have. The ink dries beautifully on the tracing paper after just a couple of minutes.

HTH,
Christine

Logging in each and every day to be inspired by SCS'ers everywhere!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2006, 06:42 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocketgirl96
I use artist tracing paper on the inside of my cards. It is kind of see through like vellum but cheaper. You can get a pack on the artist aisle of any craft store. I use it the same way that other posters have used copy paper. I can print out any sentiment that I like and I cut it so that there is a 1/8" border all around the inside (both flaps). I then tape or glue it to just the crease (where the card is folded).
Does that make sense - I wish I had a picture but I never take pictures of the inside of my cards.
Anyway, doing it this way gives it a wonderful, finished, professional look. Kind of like how hallmark cards will have a sheet inside that isn't completely glued on, you know?

HTH,
Christine
Oooh Oooh Oooh! Tracing paper! Why didn'tI think of that?!?!
It's gotta look so elegant!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 04:58 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I do the exact same thing. If I'm making a card with dark card stock, I'll cut and fold a piece of white copy paper in half, making sure it's cut just a wee bit smaller than the size of the card. I either stamp a sentiment on the white paper, or compose the words and print it off on this white paper before placing in the card. I'll just put a spot or two of those glue dots to adhere that white liner as close to the fold as possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

You can also heat emboss your sentiment in gold or silver so it will pop off of the dark background. I love to do this, especially with "elegant" cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 03:46 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

At my LSS, I buy cardstock that has black on one side and white on the other. I love, love, love it. It's high quality cardstock, so it's a bit more expensive, but it's the perfect stuff to use if you want black as a base. My demo actually thought SU was going to come out with paper like this, which would have been huge, but they didn't (boo hoo). The black cardstock I buy also comes in a navy color as well with white inside. Hope this helps. Be on the lookout at your LSS.

Amy
Reply With Quote Likes