Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Cassette tape holders... (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/cassette-tape-holders-454753/)

Patrina+2 08-20-2009 04:30 AM

Cassette tape holders...

Has anyone tried painting these? I finally found one at the thrift store but I want mine to be black. I'm a little concerned about how hard it would be to get good coverage on the inside. Any suggestions?

isewquilts2 08-20-2009 04:33 AM

Nope, sorry no ideas, I just left mine the way it was. I'm too lazy to do anything with it, and it was in pretty good shape.

Patrina+2 08-20-2009 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2 (Post 14930202)
Nope, sorry no ideas, I just left mine the way it was. I'm too lazy to do anything with it, and it was in pretty good shape.

Did yo hang yours on the wall? I'm worried it might be too heavy full of pads. I got the one that holds 100 pads.

dianerh 08-20-2009 05:07 AM

I don't have one, but if you want to paint and get inside the slot, how about spray paint?

cardmaker2 08-20-2009 05:15 AM

Yeah, I thought of spray paint too. What are you going to do with it?

KittyKumar 08-20-2009 05:31 AM

How about that new spray paint (Krylon Fusion) that is designed to paint things like outdoor plastic furniture??

kphorse 08-20-2009 06:22 AM

Krylon works! I did my old one in white...

Patrina+2 08-20-2009 07:46 AM

I would def spray paint because i"m lazy. LOL I just hope it gets into the slots evenly. I'll let you guys know how it comes out. Thanks for all the responses.

TNnative 08-20-2009 09:08 AM

Let us know how it goes. I have one I'd like to paint also.

YouInkIt 08-20-2009 09:40 AM

I painted mine. I used black spray paint. I didn't worry too much about getting the inside of the slots. I mean, I sprayed them a bit so the front of the slot would be black,but I didn't get way down in there or in every nook and cranny because I figured my pads would be in there and no one would notice. It worked fine though!

Jennifer R 08-20-2009 10:47 AM

I did paint mine white but it was wood to begin with.

I just painted mine with acrylic paint and a foam brush.

bh_dallas 08-20-2009 11:22 AM

I have one and did not paint it. I had hung it up originally, but did not work well for me. So I ended up putting it on a table.

ldsk34 08-20-2009 11:25 AM

I have mine hanging on the wall and it seems to be fine.

I have not painted mine so good luck!

cdjkssss 08-20-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2 (Post 14930371)
Did yo hang yours on the wall? I'm worried it might be too heavy full of pads. I got the one that holds 100 pads.

I have two of the 100 pad ones hanging on the wall. Since I have terrible luck with anything that I personally hang on the wall, I had my handyman do it. He used heavy-duty anchors into two studs per holder. Those babies are not going anywhere!

isewquilts2 08-20-2009 12:27 PM

Mine hangs on the wall too. It only has 48 slots, though. Plenty big enough for me.

Joy

barbiejo 08-21-2009 01:44 PM

Those old cassett holders are the best,mine are wooden and I left "as is" they were hung about 5 years ago are full and have had no issue,...I also have several items on top of them{go figure}

MsDanielle 08-23-2009 09:53 PM

I've painted so many things with Krylon spray paint and I love it!!! The Krylon for plastic is great too!

Vina82 08-23-2009 10:10 PM

Does anyone have a picture to share? I think I remember what those old holders look like. Are you using them for stampin up ink pads? if yes, I may have to go hunting for one. I need to find a decent storage system for my ink pads. I currently have them stacked up in a plastic box.

Patrina+2 08-24-2009 04:29 AM

I did paint mine over the weekend. After i give the slots another coat I'll post pics. I justused regular Krylon spray paint and it looks wonderful .I also sprayed a rotating spice rack that I am going to use or buttons. I'll post pics soon:)

carolanninnwmo 08-24-2009 11:24 AM

I've been able to find 4 wooden ones (Napa Valley) but some of my stamp pads are too tall to fit in them. I've experimented with the smaller one with taking the back off (carefully) and removing some of the section slats. Haven't put it back together yet to use. My problem is I have no wall space as all of my crafting stuff is in the basement and I only have one wall that's easy to hang things on.

GarnetJ 08-24-2009 11:36 AM

Mine has slots that hold several cassettes (not just one per slot). When I first hung it on the wall some of the pads wanted slip out. Especially the kind with rounded lids.

Solution = I glued a couple of little squares of styrofoam (from some package) to the back of the holder, along the bottom edge. That tilted it just enough so the pads don't fall out.

Paper Kissy 08-24-2009 11:43 AM

I painted one with a small bush and it was H E Double Hockey Sticks! It took days in short bursts. I wish I had just spray painted it. I keep it on the floor by my desk in the vertical position, I keep ribbon spools in it.

Erin

GlitterGalore 08-25-2009 06:26 AM

I spray painted mine and with the pads inside the slots it is not an eye sore at all. Works great and keeps all that stuff off my table. Really want another one---but they are tough to locate.

lynnewithane 08-25-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ (Post 14963332)
Mine has slots that hold several cassettes (not just one per slot). When I first hung it on the wall some of the pads wanted slip out. Especially the kind with rounded lids.

Solution = I glued a couple of little squares of styrofoam (from some package) to the back of the holder, along the bottom edge. That tilted it just enough so the pads don't fall out.

Great idea!
I have a plastic cassette holder, but the "slats" don't go all the way across. They just jut out about 1/4 inch on each side. So, I cut pieces of cardstock from the back of the SU designer papers. Then I put a glue dot on each side, and stuck it to the jut outs. It was a tedious process! Some work better than others, for some reason. Some of them curve under the weight, and every once in a while, I have an avalanche. I am dying to find one with slats that go all the way across, but I can't pay a lot of money for it. So, until I happen upon the holder of my dreams, I think this styrofoam idea could be a big help!!!!!!!!!

YouInkIt 08-26-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper Kissy (Post 14963389)
I painted one with a small bush and it was H E Double Hockey Sticks! It took days in short bursts. I wish I had just spray painted it. I keep it on the floor by my desk in the vertical position, I keep ribbon spools in it.

Erin

Ribbon! Now that's an idea! I think I might try that! :D

airbornewife 08-26-2009 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have two of the large tape holder racks.. I have them sitting at the back of my desk .. please ignore the messy desk. this was taking to show some swaps I was working on a while back. Pam

Vina82 08-26-2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airbornewife (Post 14980162)
I have two of the large tape holder racks.. I have them sitting at the back of my desk .. please ignore the messy desk. this was taking to show some swaps I was working on a while back. Pam

Hi Pam, thanks so much for posting your picture. Now I know what all the buzz is about! That's a terrific and cost effective storage solution. It sure beats having to dig around in a plastic bin trying to find a color. I'll have to pop into my local thrift stores to find one.

iamastampr 08-26-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane (Post 14972439)
Great idea!
I have a plastic cassette holder, but the "slats" don't go all the way across. They just jut out about 1/4 inch on each side. So, I cut pieces of cardstock from the back of the SU designer papers. Then I put a glue dot on each side, and stuck it to the jut outs. It was a tedious process! Some work better than others, for some reason. Some of them curve under the weight, and every once in a while, I have an avalanche. I am dying to find one with slats that go all the way across, but I can't pay a lot of money for it. So, until I happen upon the holder of my dreams, I think this styrofoam idea could be a big help!!!!!!!!!

I have one you can have for the cost of shipping if you want it. I was going to put it on craigslist as a freebie. JLMK
Theresa

TNnative 08-26-2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vina82 (Post 14984141)
Hi Pam, thanks so much for posting your picture. Now I know what all the buzz is about! That's a terrific and cost effective storage solution. It sure beats having to dig around in a plastic bin trying to find a color. I'll have to pop into my local thrift stores to find one.

Good luck finding one. It took me over 2 years to find one for sale. Each one I found in a thrift store was full of cassettes and had a 'not for sale' sticker on the holder. I finally found one about a month ago that did not and I snatched it up. Mine is a nice wood one that is similar to the one on the left hand side of the picture above.