Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   CASE'ing a card (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/caseing-card-148894/)

inkblot 05-24-2006 05:10 AM

CASE'ing a card

I was wondering if when a person Cases a card from someone else does the original artist of the card get offended or are they flattered that you liked it so much that you wanted to CASE it? :confused:
I feel guilty when I CASE someone elses idea and then I don't want to share it on SCS because then everyone will know.

bemidjibelle 05-24-2006 05:23 AM

I don't think anyone minds, if you give them credit for the creation!!!!:) If you want to put it in the gallery, just put "idea by ......." or "CASED from..." and it will be fine. I have done that before, and often even write the originator a note to say I loved the card and am going to CASE it! Most people on SCS are here to share ideas and don't mind at all.

I often find that even though I am casing, I sometimes change the card some, if I change colors, or words,or something I don't have.

I would feel free to CASE, but just be sure to give credit!:)

HTH!
Sue

rocketgirl96 05-24-2006 06:58 AM

CASE away!!!

I'd be completely flattered if someone cased a card I made and I'd also be interested in how they "changed it up" or "added their flair". :)

Whenever I case a card or was inspired by a card, I include links to the original card when I upload. That way, the original card might get some more views and comments too.

I usually don't post a card that I case exactly though. I don't want to take up computer space by posting double of something. But if I changed something up, then I will post it and credit the original.

HTH

row4d 05-24-2006 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkblot
I was wondering if when a person Cases a card from someone else does the original artist of the card get offended or are they flattered that you liked it so much that you wanted to CASE it? :confused:

Only if you then turn around and claim it as your own, and win a prize by sending it into a contest!

Seriously, though, don't worry about uploading a CASE -- seems like half the stuff in the gallery was copied from or inspired by someone else! I just don't upload CASEd cards because I figure it's been seen before so why bother? Most of the time, though, I'll do something to make it my own.

kristransue 05-24-2006 05:25 PM

If I see a card that I am planning on CASEing when I am cruising the gallery I click on "add to favorites" then I will have a link to the card if I post it and can give credit. I find that even when I try to CASE someones card it never turns out looking just like it did in the picture . . . so then I can say, "Inspired by . . ." instead

inkblot 05-24-2006 06:46 PM

Thank you to all for your advice and tips, I do usually try to "tweek" a CASE just a bit so I am not totally casing it and I will have to remember the "inspired by" tip. Thanks to all

Rox71 05-26-2006 05:24 AM

Let's see here, I put all the instructions I can in the description when I upload, so in doing that - do you really think I care if they case it!!! NOPE! This is a world wide web and as far as I'm concerned...if you don't want it cased DON'T POST IT! I think it's a compliment to have someone case or ask permission to case my card.
Now if you try to get a cased card published that would just be totally tacky!

I did do a card with a retired landscape set and last summer bought an old magazine at a garage sale and found my card in there. What a surprise to see that because there is no way she cased me, I never uploaded nor did I case her. So many times when stampers get angry about being cased it isn't even a case at all!

But I would give credit if you totally case a card.

Vintage Redhead 05-26-2006 03:43 PM

I think....

....that it depends on the person.

I have gals contact me *REALLY* super-thrilled excited for CASEing and giving credit. Even when if I've tweaked or even *radically* changed something and the original artist claims that mine doesn't resemble theirs, I think they've still been thrilled to bits just knowing that their work was admired enough to be imitated. Does that make sense?

I've had other gals send me snarky, snippy, arrogant little ear-blistering diatribes for CASEing (and giving credit) and allegedly ruining their work and their good name. What-EV. Thankfully those are very few and very far between!! ~ K

rocketgirl96 05-26-2006 04:03 PM

That's terrible

I can't imagine anyone being that snippy and snarky. I'm so sorry you had those experiences.:(

RidiculouslyAddicted 05-26-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaylynConover
I've had other gals send me snarky, snippy, arrogant little ear-blistering diatribes for CASEing (and giving credit) and allegedly ruining their work and their good name. What-EV. Thankfully those are very few and very far between!! ~ K

Seriously? You've had people do this?!?! How HORRIBLE!!

Rox71 05-26-2006 04:29 PM

I agree with the last two posters. Wow someone really must have been having a bad day...it's just a card!

inkblot 05-26-2006 05:11 PM

I would NEVER ever get snippy if someone cased something of mine and I agree with ROX71, if you don't want it to ever be cased then don't share it with everyone.

Scrapping&Stamping 05-26-2006 05:19 PM

I don't have a gallery for two reasons...we are in the dark ages and don't have a scanner (and DH is a cmpt. geek) and because I very rarely have an orginal idea. I love the ideas that come off the site and I CASE away. I would think that if you didn't want someone to CASE your card, you wouldn't post it. I do agree with the thought of, give credit where credit is due.
I find the same problem with teachers. Some teachers freely share ideas/activities etc. that they have come up with, others decide they want to steal the show and keep their stuff to themselves. My deal is: its all about the kids and what is best for them. I share away. So, CSC is all about making beautiful creations that make people happy and share away!
Jeanette

WeimFamily 05-26-2006 06:58 PM

It's easy for me to say that I'd love to be CASE'd because it's never happen, but that said...

If you post, it's to be expected that you'll be CASEd - that's part of why we search the gallery. BUT if you consciously CASE a card, it's just right to credit it.

jordyns-mom 05-26-2006 07:09 PM

I have to agree. I am on this site to hopefully learn some new techniques and get some great card ideas. I have scrap lifted/Case'd stuff and told who I got it from.

Jeanne S 05-27-2006 08:32 AM

I don't mind people case'ing. But please don't swipe anyone's digital image to put on a website, and don't copy someone's work and send it in for a contest. Give credit to the original artist when you can.

Vintage Redhead 05-27-2006 08:52 AM

Yup!

Quote:

Originally Posted by inkblot
I would NEVER ever get snippy if someone cased something of mine and I agree with ROX71, if you don't want it to ever be cased then don't share it with everyone.

That is *my* feeling!!! (Course...my stamping is pretty bad...that's why I scrap so that I can *integrate* stamps into other work!) Rox and lots of other posters are right: If you're going to display your work, then you've *got* to assume that people are going to view it. Some will like it, some will love it. Some will be indifferent.

Wow, if I ever saw myself CASEd, I'd probably do the Happy Dance and backflip through downtown St. Charles in my undies (**NOT** a pretty sight, I assure you!) singing "Oh Lord, Won't You Buy Me A Mercedes Benz" by Janis Joplin (not pretty on the ears, either.)

As far as snippy / snarky goes: anyone can have a bad day. It's just a card. What-EV. I take it. (I've been known to give it out on occasion...and sometimes sound more harsh than I intended...and even had what I thought was blatant humor taken to be serious snippiness.) Who knows? I try to take it in stride and just remember: it is paper and ink.... ~ K

stampkinz 05-27-2006 09:12 AM

If anyone cased one of my cards, they'd be improving it! I get almost all of my inspirations from this site and always give credit where credit is due. As for the snarkers, some people just don't like to share!

tennisrules 05-27-2006 01:12 PM

my two pennies

I agree with everyone, but I just wanted to say again, how awesome this website is. In fact, I could do nothing, but CASE cards 24 hours a day just by looking at the website for an hour!

I always want to recognize the "original" creator when I upload a "CASED" card, however, how many original ideas are there? When I scrapbook or make a card, I know that I am creating an blend of the hundreds of pages that I had already seen. Anyway, my dh just found me on the computer! :p

Happy Saturday!

88 keys 06-02-2006 11:22 AM

i know i'm not saying anything new...just adding my 2 cents worth. but anyone with any realistic sense at all knows that most of us are on this website to learn, to be inspired, and to get ideas. if you are worried about someone stealing your idea, don't post. as the old saying goes...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. i am always very flattered when someone likes something i do well enough to want to copy it. very seldom do i come up with a totally unique creation. i have learned and borrowed from all around me. as have most of us. i have also found that the really artistic people whose work i admire the most on this site are also some of the most generous and giving people you would want to find anywhere.
i agree with those who posted earlier in this thread. just give credit to those whom you case, and to those who inspire you; and never use someone else's work as your own...here, or in any other forum. and be openminded. it is possible for more than one person to come up with the same idea. just last night i was looking in one of the set galleries and saw a card that had been posted a long time ago that was almost exactly like one of mine that i had done before i even found this website.
sorry i got so long-winded. i think i gave you much more than 2 cents. :)

smittysgirl 06-26-2006 06:09 PM

I have always been told that imitation is the highest form of flattery! Then again, in elementary school, we were taught that if we wanted to prevent copying we should hide our work. I would be flattered if one of my cards were CASED (if I ever get to upload). Dontcha just love sharing?!