Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2006, 03:44 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just had to post this. I'm glad so many people are enjoying my card, but it's really starting to crack me up. LOL!

My card made for May VSN.
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=37350
Inside
http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...0&ppuser=37350

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...p?photo=303792

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...p?photo=313617

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...time=&sortdir=
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-05-2006, 03:46 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

I forgot to say that the last 3 links are what seem to be copies of my card.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:03 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Well, Jen! You are a talented (and gracious) stamper, and apparently soooo
CASE-able!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:49 PM   #44  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I will CASE cards but not upload them even though I find the artwork stunning (the original artist's, not mine!). If I save pictures to my computer, I save them as stamp set name followed by user name (IE Gently Falling 01 prchvs). Helps me to remember who I've CASE'd it from and once in a while, I'll pm the artist to say thanks for sharing, because it's important to remember that art is personal and we all love receiving compliments! That's why we upload, right?!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Annie, don't worry about what anyone thinks. YOU know the story behind it. I had the SAME type of thing happen last year. My stamping club's swap card for one month had to be using a polymer clay embellishment. I used the Haute Couture set with a polymer clay santa hat on it. I didn't get it uploaded right away.

A few days after I did finally upload, the Dirty Dozen for that month opened up, and one of the gals did the same thing, only it was a witch's hat. Boy, did I feel weird, lol.

But when I looked at the dates, there's just absolutely no way I could have CASED from her, since I uploaded before the Dirty Dozen was revealed. Conversely, there's no way she could have CASED mine, since hers was uploaded (but hidden) before mine was. COMPLETE coincidence.

I just think there are lots of things that occur to people at the same time. The paper weaving thing...something sparked your idea, just like it sparked the challenge-maker's. Some sets are just "made" to be used in obvious ways. It's natural that people would independently come up with similar, even same, ideas.

I know I've said this before, but in my opinion, if I set out to completely copy a card...same paper, image, placement, EVERYTHING exactly the same, it's a CASE. If I see a card that inspires me to make something similar, it's not. We all get inspiration from many, many different sources. There's just no way to back up a claim of "I did it first."

So post away, I'd love to see them!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2006, 04:49 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I know I've said this before, but in my opinion, if I set out to completely copy a card...same paper, image, placement, EVERYTHING exactly the same, it's a CASE. If I see a card that inspires me to make something similar, it's not. We all get inspiration from many, many different sources. There's just no way to back up a claim of "I did it first."
Amen sistah! There has been so much dicussion about casing on the board that it has really gotten ridiculous. CASE = Copy And Stamp/Scrap Exactly If you get inspiration for something or someone that doesn't make it a CASE. Artist get inspiration in everything they see or hear around them. There are NO original ideas anymore. Somewhere at sometime it has been done art has been around in many forms for too long for there to ever be original designs.

Sorry to rant, but the discussions about caseing have gotten rampant on every board. Everyone seems to have forgotten what the acronym means.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #47  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne
Amen sistah! There has been so much dicussion about casing on the board that it has really gotten ridiculous. CASE = Copy And Stamp/Scrap Exactly If you get inspiration for something or someone that doesn't make it a CASE. Artist get inspiration in everything they see or hear around them. There are NO original ideas anymore. Somewhere at sometime it has been done art has been around in many forms for too long for there to ever be original designs.

Sorry to rant, but the discussions about caseing have gotten rampant on every board. Everyone seems to have forgotten what the acronym means.

Thank you for the reminder of what it means!! Inspiration is one thing, copying is another. I guess we all need to keep that in mind. I didn't realize that this was a hot topic, so sorry if it is repetitive.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:15 AM   #48  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Jen70-
awesome card, you should have been given credit!!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #49  
Inking Addict

I'm so glad to see this question posted and read all of your replies on the matter! I had the exact same thing happen to me.......a card I had made was posted by another SCS'er (and we all know our OWN creations)....at first I was a bit put out that it wasnt mentioned as a CASE (because it was copied EXACTLY), but at the same time I was honored. I mean, CASEing a card, to me, is quite a complement to the creator and I have to admit, I CASE cards from this site more often than I take the time to create my own, but I usually dont post those unless I have made significant changes. I also like to post a link to the original card that I have CASE'd if I do post one. Just seems like common courtesey to at least mention it was CASE'd, even if you cant remember whom you CASE'd. When this happened to me, I sent a private message to the CASEer and mentioned that "great minds think alike!"
Again, THANK YOU ALL for your input.......this was truely helpful!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by genie1314
I didn't realize that this was a hot topic, so sorry if it is repetitive.
Sorry Jen I didn't mean to sound so *****y. I always try to bite my tounge when this topic comes up, but sometimes I don't bite hard enough.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:02 AM   #51  
cre8nart

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Annie, don't worry about what anyone thinks. YOU know the story behind it. I had the SAME type of thing happen last year. My stamping club's swap card for one month had to be using a polymer clay embellishment. I used the Haute Couture set with a polymer clay santa hat on it. I didn't get it uploaded right away.

A few days after I did finally upload, the Dirty Dozen for that month opened up, and one of the gals did the same thing, only it was a witch's hat. Boy, did I feel weird, lol.

But when I looked at the dates, there's just absolutely no way I could have CASED from her, since I uploaded before the Dirty Dozen was revealed. Conversely, there's no way she could have CASED mine, since hers was uploaded (but hidden) before mine was. COMPLETE coincidence.

I just think there are lots of things that occur to people at the same time. The paper weaving thing...something sparked your idea, just like it sparked the challenge-maker's. Some sets are just "made" to be used in obvious ways. It's natural that people would independently come up with similar, even same, ideas.

So post away, I'd love to see them!
Thanks for allaying my concerns regarding this, Betsy. Had you not responded, I probably would have not bothered to post my cards once I get the pictures taken. As I stated, I do make it my policy to give credit, if the idea is in any way generated from another source.

Now, all I have to do is to decide which camera to get! LOL! Then I'll have the gallery mods busy handling all my uploads...just not on a Sunday!

Annie

Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Coincidence

Quote:

Originally Posted by cre8nart
I read this thread earlier with some interest, but had decided not to post to it, since all the different POV's seemed to be well-discussed. However, I just paid a visit to the gallery, only to discover that the TLC challenge for today was to incorporate paper-weaving - coincidence number one - since I have two cards sitting here, among my stash, with woven paper involved; done well in advance of today's challenge; waiting to be uploaded later this month when I finally get a digital camera for my birthday in 2 weeks' time.

Well, it gets even better. When I saw Bensarmom's Basket of LLS daisies, I couldn't believe the coincidence, since one of my cards uses the very same concept, and we even used the same stamps in very similar ways, and yet both cards are distinctively different. I guess, maybe, we're on the same wavelength, as far as coming up with similar concepts. However, my card was made over three weeks ago, when I just got the LLS set, before it was retired at the end of May, and I know that she couldn't have copied me, since my card has yet to be posted!

When I have used someone else's idea, I always try to give credit, or at least, mention that it was inspired, if the idea was sparked by another source, other than my own grey matter. I don't mind if someone uses any of my ideas, but I do prefer when they acknowledge doing so. Now, herein lies my dilemma: If and when, I do get around to posting it, will I be accused of not giving credit, where credit is due, even though I generated my own idea? I would really like some input on this, because it is not my intention to step on anyone's feet.

Annie
Annie -

Maybe when you upload your card you could reference the other card with a note about the coincidence. I think it's a great story and I'm sure this isn't the first time it's happened. I would share the story when you upoad your card!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:13 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

Default Too Funny!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
Jen -

Just noticed your post and had to laugh. I guess you know you have a winner when you keep seeing it over and over. I really love that all of the copies are blue too - didn't even change up the colors! BTW - Great card!

- Beth
Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #54  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

no apologies!!!!

Quote:

Sorry Jen I didn't mean to sound so *****y. I always try to bite my tounge when this topic comes up, but sometimes I don't bite hard enough.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 PM   #55  
cre8nart

Quote:

Originally Posted by ematson
Annie -

Maybe when you upload your card you could reference the other card with a note about the coincidence. I think it's a great story and I'm sure this isn't the first time it's happened. I would share the story when you upoad your card!
Thanks, Beth, you had an excellent suggestion, and I shall definitely heed your advice when I upload!

Annie

Old 07-06-2006, 06:40 PM   #56  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I think we need to remember that not everyone has been here since 2003. Even those who have been a member for a few months or more may not have wandered to the forums until a lot later. Not everyone here knows the acronyms. It mat be repetitive for some, but not to all.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by genie1314
Jen70-
awesome card, you should have been given credit!!!!
Thanks for the compliment!
Old 07-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ematson
Jen -

Just noticed your post and had to laugh. I guess you know you have a winner when you keep seeing it over and over. I really love that all of the copies are blue too - didn't even change up the colors! BTW - Great card!

- Beth
Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Sorry for the duplication. I hadn't seen this discussion elsewhere, and apparently, I was misinformed on what the acronym meant. I was told it was "Copy And Steal Everything." Though I've been a member of SCS for some time, and have seen the acronym hundreds, (if not THOUSANDS), of times, it's seldom written in its full form. I had no idea it was anything other than what I was once told. It was never my intention to rehash old discussion.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOL, don't sweat it, randie58. It actually has been described more than a few ways!

Copy and Share Everything
Copy and Steal Everything
Copy and Scrap Everything
Copy and Scrap Exactly

and probably dozens of other variations. It's not written in stone anywhere.