Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   cardstock through your printer (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/cardstock-through-your-printer-175777/)

denidill 08-18-2006 06:22 PM

cardstock through your printer

Hi,
I have an old inkjet printer that is slower than molasses. I wanted to print off some expressions/words that I don't have stamps for. Do you think my old inkjet could handle a piece of cardstock? It is quite a big thicker than a piece of paper.

Mind you, if it jam it up, I'll get hubby to buy me a new one! (but then I would have an angry hubby!) :p

KimberlyinMN 08-18-2006 06:32 PM

I run cardstock through my printer all the time. I typically print the verse on the inside prior to stamping, etc.

Kimberly

MSBetsyZ 08-18-2006 06:48 PM

Really older printers aren't likely to be able to handle cardstock. There were some, though, that had a separate, manual feed for envelopes and cardstock. Usually in the back of the printer, so the cardstock could feed straight through the printer instead of having to be flipped over inside the thing. Of course, a manual would be able to tell you...you don't happen to still have it?

newbie007 08-18-2006 08:04 PM

Has anyone put cardstock through an HP Photo printer? Did you have any problems?

GrannyKat 08-18-2006 08:22 PM

I purchase 110 lb. white and cream cardstock from my office supply store and it goes through my printer just fine. When I tried to use SU colored cardstock, it didn't work...was too thick. So I print on the 110 lb., then layer the front with the colored CS. This also uses less of the colored CS and saves money since I buy the white and cream CS for a lot less than what the SU cardstock costs.

deca1964 08-19-2006 04:16 AM

I have run SU cardstock through both an older hp inkjet printer and an hp all in one printer with no problems.

When you say "old" inkjet..how old is it?..L It should be alright but remember that there are also settings that you can adjust before printing...when you go to print there will be somewhere where you can click on the properties and adjust your settings so your printer "knows" it has something other than regular paper going through it.
HTH!

WshUpnASta 08-19-2006 05:08 AM

I want to figure out.

I'd like to create a template under "word" that would print off my verse and have it be in the right place when I cut my card into 4-1/4 x 5-1/2. Has anyone tried it, or had any success with it.

Deb in Maine

Waldsb651 08-19-2006 05:26 AM

I have a HP 3310 Printer, Fax, Scanner, Copier and the card stock works great. I have learned to remove most of my other paper before using the card stock, it seems to go smoother.

Joan B 08-19-2006 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WshUpnASta
I'd like to create a template under "word" that would print off my verse and have it be in the right place when I cut my card into 4-1/4 x 5-1/2. Has anyone tried it, or had any success with it.

Deb in Maine

It is possible to do this. I've done it. I can no longer find it!! LOL The inside of my computer is as big a mess as my computer room. Fool around with text boxes -- don't try it any other way. Good luck

Happy Heart 08-19-2006 05:34 AM

I use a card making program for printing verses, etc. That way there's no guesswork, and you can put the text boxes anywhere, even slanting or putting them vertically if you want. PrintMaster is fairly inexpensive. A lot of the graphics are pretty bad, but I hardly ever use them anyway.

deca1964 08-19-2006 05:39 AM

Quote:

Deb in Maine

I wasnt able to figure it out on word (at least not the way I wanted to do it)
But I did do it in microsoft publisher (which isnt even available anymore i think :( but if you have some of the older microsoft bundles you might have it.
Anyway i have the page properties set at special fold; book fold; size of card; and I do it that way...then i am able to print 2 of the same sentiment on one sheet of cardstock...
It works great for me since the sentiments I am using when I use this template is for a business...you know...thanks for your business, referall or whatever...so I dont care that I am getting two out of a sheet. Eventually I'll use it, right?

mom of Marine 08-19-2006 05:56 AM

I print my message on plain paper..then I place my card where I want the message to be, put a few dabs of repositional glue on the paper and attach the card and run it through the computer again. I have also done this when I wanted to run a message on post it notes, shaped paper such as a balloon shape, cake shaped or when using shaped note paper.

mom of Marine 08-19-2006 06:01 AM

whoops!

In my first reply I forgot to say to then take the card off the paper (just so no one thinks that I keep the paper and card together). I have use the same paper without applying more repositional glue (not permanent) a number of times until it loses it stickiness. I use this for Christmas cards to make a personal message in each one. I have probably used this method for over ten years.

KimberlyinMN 08-19-2006 06:11 AM

Quote:

Deb in Maine

Are you thinking of putting the 1/2 sheet of cardstock through the computer? Here's what I just did:
  1. In Word, click File > Page Setup.
  2. Click the Paper tab. Set the Width to 8.5 and the Height to 5.5.
  3. Click the Margins tab. Set the Top, Bottom and Right margins to 0 and change the Left margin to 4.25.
  4. Click the Layout tab. Change the Vertical Aligment to Center.
  5. Click the OK button.
  6. A message will pop up telling you that there's something wrong with your margins. Click Ignore.
  7. Your document will display. Click the Center Alignment button on the toolbar.
  8. Type away!!
NOTE: If you want to save this as a template, do this before typing anything on the document.

Kimberly

nmslmomto3 08-19-2006 06:38 AM

Avery dot com has templates that I use for this. It is called Postcard template, 4 to a page, either portrait or landscape. I have a thread that I started on this a long time ago. Hope this helps.

stampinboilermaker 08-19-2006 04:30 PM

Oh, I can help! Here is something I posted last year, and I still use it frequently:

Go to http://www.avery.com Go under Software (in the purple box at the top of the page) then "Blank Label Templates"--this is great for setting up blank templates for invites, postcards, etc. Type 8387 in the box for Search by Product Number, and it will bring up templates for a 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 postcard in landscape or portrait. Download the template into Word, and you're off! If stuff isn't lining up just right, be sure to check the cell alignment (right click on the cell, then you can check/change it). There are also many other templates that could be used for toppers, name tags, table tents, place markers, books, sentiments for cards (using a really cute font), circle stickers (that fit onto round metal edged tags), and tons of other things! The possibilities are endless! And you don't even need the stickers--print your stuff out on cardstock, cut, and ta-dah!! HTH!

ps: you can even use this to print on the inside of your card--just print in the right half of the page...top or bottom, and this will be
the inside of the card!
***Since posting this the first time, you now have to download things a little differently, but it will be easy-peasy! ***

***and be sure to save the blank template into Word so you have it whenever you need it!***
HTH! :smile:

JoSox 08-20-2006 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Deb, yes I created a template, just for fun, but it worked! Use the 'columns' tool, create two columns, put the greeting in the right hand column. Thanks for reminding me, as you see from the attachment, it's been a while!

DancingRain 08-20-2006 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidill
Hi,
I have an old inkjet printer that is slower than molasses. I wanted to print off some expressions/words that I don't have stamps for. Do you think my old inkjet could handle a piece of cardstock? It is quite a big thicker than a piece of paper.

Mind you, if it jam it up, I'll get hubby to buy me a new one! (but then I would have an angry hubby!) :p

I also have an older injet printer (HP), and I run cardstock through it on a regular basis.

I place a small amout of regular paper in the tray. Lay a SINGLE SHEET of cardstock on top of that. I then raise the edge of my cardstock... with my pointy finger in the center of the edge... pressing slightly... the rest of my hand resting gently on the regular paper... I press 'print'... and it feeds through just fine.

Wishing you luck.

Have a FUNtastic day!

Dancing Rain

nmslmomto3 08-21-2006 06:50 AM

oh yeah, I only run one sheet of card stock through my printer at a time, in other words, one sheet sitting in the paper holding tray at a time. Hope this helps.

denidill 08-21-2006 09:20 AM

it worked...thank you!!

Thank you to all for helping me with this....I decided to put a piece of cardstock in my old jetink printer and it did work, no problem (I was afraid I would jam it up).

I used the avery.com website for my templates and am now printing sentiments galore on the inside and outside of my cards. It is great! I can pick my font, colors and what I want to say if I don't have a stamp.

Denise:D

lilyinkpad 08-21-2006 11:07 AM

If it does jam, use the directions to pull it out the right way. I may have ruined my printer by trying the wrong way. I'm still in a battle with HP about it fitting under warranty as I had printed many times before on cardstock with no problems until the same time my printer was nearing it's one year warranty expiration. They are sending a new one, soon, I hope.

I learned my lesson about jams!