Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Cardstock talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/cardstock-talk-550326/)

sc magnolia 03-13-2012 08:30 PM

Cardstock talk

So let's talk about cardstock.

Where do you buy yours? Do you keep a lot on hand?

I have been getting mine at Hobby Lobby when it is 40%. It is only 22 cents a sheet (8 1/2 by 11)

I think I'm falling in love with Stampin' Up's paper. It's more expensive especially when you add shipping.... but the colors are pretty and well .. :oops: the names are fun. It would be nice to have 24 of a color at a time. But $$$$ geeze.

Wannabestampin' 03-13-2012 09:11 PM

I used to be a SU demo so I have all their colours. But I've also have most of PTI's cardstock, I prefer theirs just because the paper feels like it's a little stiffer.

I only use SU's white or vanilla for stamping, never for a card base simply because it's to flimsy. I love Gina K for white bases, that stuff is so stiff! I also have PTI in white and ivory but I find colouring with copics easier on Gina K's c/s.

It is a bit of an investment but if you order just 1 or 2 packs a month you'll eventually have them all, or at least just your favourites!

Cook22 03-13-2012 11:46 PM

I buy pre-cut and scored textured white card bases from a local online company, and then I get Bazzill, and that's about it. For stamping on I tend to get large pads of Bristol Board and watercolour paper. Kraft is harder for me to get - not prepared to pay PTI's international shipping, but I got a couple of packs of SU kraft on eBay last year.

winnieu 03-14-2012 01:28 AM

I used to be a SU demo also, so I have a large stash of their colors. I love the paper. I adore Gina K's white both layering and base weight card stock. I use that for my Copic cards. I add to my colors from Papertrey also. I think they are all great. I buy them when I am purchasing other things so I get the free shipping. I have lots of patterned paper, and love Coredinations by Tim Holtz for embossing. It is fun.

tamijo 03-14-2012 02:12 AM

I have quite a bit of SU's trying to work my way through it. However, I have been using my a*muse|studio paper. It's not heavy BUT the patterned paper is also cardstock (plus) and it's white on the one side so I don't have to line it (another plus) :)

Inkin One 03-14-2012 03:16 AM

I don't do a lot of colored bases unless they are premade. I seem to not be able to cut a straight line for a card base HA! I also do not like SU white to color on. It doesn't take colored pencils and OMS well for me..may work for others. I do love their colors though and usually throw in a couple of packs when I make an order..love to use it to layer on.I need to try Ginak K..keep hearing great things about it.. I like Sabrina, usually stamp on Bristol or water color..both of which I seem to have A LOT of because I use that in my regular art work too..win-win there. I did recently buy some Neenah and some PTI..so far I like the Neenah..haven't tried any of the PTI yet( didn't buy white ), but I will say I can get some wonderful results with plain cheap old Georgia Pacific from Wal Mart. I do need to be more mindful of layering my pencils with it as it wont take a lot of layers..but for the price and availability..I don't think it can be beat.

Phantom 03-14-2012 03:42 AM

I also use A Muse Studio. I love it and can't bring myself to use any other kind. I have a little bit of SU and some PTI but they just sit... just in case, for a project some day maybe. I also use X-press It for Copic coloring and I have some Neenah as well. I also love Bristol, especially vellum vs. smooth. I use it with colored pencils and Gamsol or watercolor.

It's good to have choices. :mrgreen:

sc magnolia 03-14-2012 04:33 AM

Jess, I recently bought Pure Luxury card stock from Gina K and I love it! Its heavy weight: 120lb and perfect for Prismas. ;)

[

QUOTE=Inkin One;19270671]I don't do a lot of colored bases unless they are premade. I seem to not be able to cut a straight line for a card base HA! I also do not like SU white to color on. It doesn't take colored pencils and OMS well for me..may work for others. I do love their colors though and usually throw in a couple of packs when I make an order..love to use it to layer on.I need to try Ginak K..keep hearing great things about it.. I like Sabrina, usually stamp on Bristol or water color..both of which I seem to have A LOT of because I use that in my regular art work too..win-win there. I did recently buy some Neenah and some PTI..so far I like the Neenah..haven't tried any of the PTI yet( didn't buy white ), but I will say I can get some wonderful results with plain cheap old Georgia Pacific from Wal Mart. I do need to be more mindful of layering my pencils with it as it wont take a lot of layers..but for the price and availability..I don't think it can be beat.[/QUOTE]

Inkin One 03-14-2012 04:51 AM

Thanks Carole, I keep hearing about how great Pure Lux. is with prismas..how does it handle OMS? I know some papers I have used seemed to get "spots" of OMS that blled on them( does that make sense?). It irritates me and makes me a bit nervous too LOL..I suppose I am just going to have to break down and order some..LOL..such a chore! It will probably be after Easter though as we have over 9 people ( maybe 12 don't have the final count yet) staying at our house for 4 days and I have some flowers to get in the ground and TONS of food to buy and 9 Easter Baskets ( I still make them for my GROWN niece and nephew when they are at my house for Easter and now I have a great nephew too..pkus I can't leave my daddy out..;) LOL plus the Easter treats I was bound and determined to make so I ordered the stuff and in order to keep the husband from having an aneurysm I must make them :D HA! ( no more ''brilliant'' holiday ideas for me).OH and my youngest step-son's b-day is the last day of the month so I have to do the stuff for his party...so card stock is not in my future right now..because really, why just order card stock and pay shipping for just that:lol:?? I will need to order more than that to feel I have gotten a good deal right :rolleyes:.

LaLatty 03-14-2012 05:34 AM

I only use SU card stock. When I first started stamping I was using card stock from the craft stores and I felt that it just wasn't the good quality that SU card stock is.

Just before SU did the color changes awhile back I bought a ton of cardstock and I'm trying to work through what I have before I buy any more.

jactop 03-14-2012 05:44 AM

I use SU cardstock. I used to buy sheets from my LSS and although I liked the colors individually I never seemed to have the right shade when I went to use it.

craftjunkiesc 03-14-2012 06:16 AM

I mostly use white bases for ALL my cards, then just adhere the prepared card front to the base. This saves alot on colored card stock. I get my white card stock at a local print shop and it comes in a ream of 12"x18" for about $17. I make mostly A2 cards so that makes A TON of card bases. But it's also great for those projects that require larger cardstock. I keep a box of prepared A2 bases on hand at all times. Saves time when I get on a roll making cards.

PH in VA 03-14-2012 06:28 AM

For colored cardstock, I use SU most often. I do have some Bazzill and an assorted package of PTI colored cardstock, but I rarely pull it out to use it.

For white and ivory, I've tried several different brands. SU is nice and smooth but not very sturdy for card bases. PTI is thick and sturdy - but when I received my order from them, they hadn't padded the shipment well and UPS didn't handle the box very gently, so the corners of the cardstock packages were somewhat smushed. :( (I blame both PTI and UPS equally for that.) When I was running low on PTI white, I decided to give Gina K's Pure Luxury a try - and oh my, that stuff is awesome! It's a brighter white than PTI, which IMO gives it an appearance of higher quality. Both weights are just lovely to work with. I'm planning to try Gina K's ivory when I need to reorder that color. I recently bought some Neenah Solar White and it's very nice, too.

Cartermrc 03-14-2012 08:19 AM

I use SU, PTI and Gina's white for when I want a white base. The cs in the stores is too flimsy and I can't find smooth Bazzil locally. I also want to try My Favorite Things cs, just waiting for them to offer an assortment pack of all the colors.
I don't keep backup packs, I haven't the space and don't use up cs very fast. For that reason I like PTI's option of 12, 24 or 50 sheet packs.

jeanstamping2 03-14-2012 09:58 AM

I use SU, Bazzill, Amuse Studio cardstock, I have some old stock from The Angel Company. Mostly White and Ivory Cs. Which I love. Cause it's good for using Copic Markers with.

I also have some from PTI and Gina K. And some Watercolor paper stock.

sc magnolia 03-14-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin' (Post 19270514)
I used to be a SU demo so I have all their colours. But I've also have most of PTI's cardstock, I prefer theirs just because the paper feels like it's a little stiffer.

I only use SU's white or vanilla for stamping, never for a card base simply because it's to flimsy. I love Gina K for white bases, that stuff is so stiff! I also have PTI in white and ivory but I find colouring with copics easier on Gina K's c/s.

It is a bit of an investment but if you order just 1 or 2 packs a month you'll eventually have them all, or at least just your favourites!

My friend is a Stampin' Up Demo, and she reminded me that she gave me a piece of cs to try (I'm pretty sure it was Whisper White). I totally forgot about that!! I really liked it, and it took Prismacolor pencils and the OMS very well. Then I felt it next to the Pure Luxury and they felt like the same weight.

So now we need to find out for sure if I know what the heck I think I remember:rolleyes::D My friend said this paper could take some water... and .... I forgot what else she said. I wonder if it is a new paper? I'll ask her, and y'all tell the rest of us if you know.
I told my friend today that y'all have convinced me to stock up on SU colors that I like, buying a pack or two a month. She agreed that it was better paper than Hob. Lob.

Oh that reminds me, I went in HL today with a coupon for tape refill and they have ribbon on sale 50% off! I'm not a big ribbon girl, BUT I did buy 4 rolls for 99 cents each:)

sc magnolia 03-14-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VA (Post 19271108)
For colored cardstock, I use SU most often. I do have some Bazzill and an assorted package of PTI colored cardstock, but I rarely pull it out to use it.

For white and ivory, I've tried several different brands. SU is nice and smooth but not very sturdy for card bases.

The white paper I just tried from SU is VERY thick, and I could not tell it apart from my Pure Luxury. Have you tried SU white recently? I gotta find out what that was.

maxiesmom 03-14-2012 02:46 PM

I must have some low standards, I have used SU's colors for years, as card bases on occasion and as layers and have always been very pleased with the weight of it. I occasionally get some Bazzill colors when Archivers have their coupon sales. And I just use plain old Georgia Pacific for my white.

Oh and I have LOTS of paper on hand at all times, kind of a hog like that(to use a nicer word than I usually say.)

sc magnolia 03-14-2012 03:15 PM

I think I've got it!!!

I just looked at the SU catalog and listed as "Basics" are Shimmery White and Naturals White. However, in the Neutrals Collection is "Whisper White." Y'all must be talking about Shimmery and Naturals as not being very thick. Perhaps because it's listed as 'basics' it is thinner?

I'm tellin' ya that Whisper White is JUST LIKE Gina K's Pure Luxury. I swear I could not tell the difference.

jkstieber 03-14-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmom (Post 19272041)
I must have some low standards, I have used SU's colors for years, as card bases on occasion and as layers and have always been very pleased with the weight of it. I occasionally get some Bazzill colors when Archivers have their coupon sales. And I just use plain old Georgia Pacific for my white.

Oh and I have LOTS of paper on hand at all times, kind of a hog like that(to use a nicer word than I usually say.)

SU's colored cardstock works well in my opinion for card bases, it's their white cardstock that doesn't work as well, it's thinner than the colored.

I use SU and Gina K. for colored cardstock, and Gina K. white for coloring with my Prismas.

sc magnolia 03-14-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnolia (Post 19272105)
I think I've got it!!!

I just looked at the SU catalog and listed as "Basics" are Shimmery White and Naturals White. However, in the Neutrals Collection is "Whisper White." Y'all must be talking about Shimmery and Naturals as not being very thick. Perhaps because it's listed as 'basics' it is thinner?

I'm tellin' ya that Whisper White is JUST LIKE Gina K's Pure Luxury. I swear I could not tell the difference.

OKAY, so Gina K's is 120 pound and SU is 80, so it must be thinner, but the finish on that Whisper White was good. hmmm

Gina K

USA and Canada
Pure Luxury 120lb Heavy Base Weight Card Stock. 8 1/2" X 11"- 25 sheets per package. 120 lb. weight- perfect for card bases and coloring with markers. $6.95

Stampin' Up
Whisper White 8-1/2X11 Card Stock. $9.44 Whisper White and Very Vanilla card stock have an ultrasmooth, tight finish that keeps stamped images vibrant so all your stamping looks crisp and clean!
■ 40 sheets per package
■ 80 lb. cover weight

Stampin' Up Naturals White 8-1/2X11 Card Stock. Regular Price: $8.33.
Stampin' Up!'s high-quality card stock is dyed with pure color all the way through, so you'll never get a white core! Available as individual color packages, you'll love having plenty of your favorite colors on hand!
■ 40 sheets per package
■ Make from recycled paper, and is lightly speckled
■ 80 lb. cover weight
■ Card stock is acid free, lignin free, buffered, and is part of our Stampin' Memories line

PH in VA 03-14-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnolia (Post 19272027)
The white paper I just tried from SU is VERY thick, and I could not tell it apart from my Pure Luxury. Have you tried SU white recently? I gotta find out what that was.

The Gina K Luxury White comes in two weights, 80 lb. "layering weight" and 120 lb. "heavy base weight". I have both, but the 120 lb. is what I use for card bases.

It's probably been about a year since I bought SU Whisper White, and it is comparable in weight to the 80 lb. Luxury White.