Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Card inspiration- where do you start? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/card-inspiration-where-do-you-start-341288/)

mycatstamps2 04-17-2008 10:36 AM

Card inspiration- where do you start?

What inspiration do use when you make a card? Do some people always start with color? Do you start with a theme (i.e. birthday, thank you)? Do you start with a person in mind that will be receiving the card? Or do most of you use the challenges here to jump start your ideas?

DannieGrvs 04-17-2008 10:48 AM

For me, I need to start with a layout. I go through the SCS gallery "layout shopping" all the time. I save pictures of cards to my computer that have layouts that I like. Then when I need some inspiration I have an entire folder full of ideas. I also LOVE the Wednesday card sketch challenges. There are great ideas there too.

If I need to make a particular card for someone or for a certain occasion, then I'll start with the stamp set. Then I go looking through the layout photos and pick one that works with that stamp set. Once I have my stamp set and layout picked out, then I turn to the designer series paper (dsp) for my colors. I don't always use dsp on my cards, but I will often use the color combinations from the dsp.

That's what works for me!

CAcardcreatin' 04-17-2008 11:39 AM

I do best when I make cards for certain person. Then I can combine their favorite colors/ interests for their special day. Otherwise it's a certain color combo, stamp, or object that gets me inspired and started.

laurakj 04-17-2008 12:26 PM

I had to check all of the above ;) It really depends, sometimes I CASE and changes things as I go along, sometimes I want to play with a new technique, sometimes it's one of the SCS challenges that gets me going, it really depends on the day and my mood LOL.

thechecker 04-17-2008 12:50 PM

I start with the stamp set! I pick the set I want to play with, then go from there!

Anne

stampwithdiane 04-17-2008 01:02 PM

I checked "other" because it really depends. But when I'm totally stuck and nothing is working, I go to the coldwater creek catalog. I can't help but be inspired when I look at their awesome clothes, either by a pattern or a color scheme or just the general look and feel of something. what can I say --I'm an oddball!

ETA: so I just went to my blog and did a search for coldwater creek to see how many cards I made using them as inspiration and it's quite a few. but here is the funny part -- I found a card on the blog that I just ran across in my stamp room the other day. When I saw it in person I said to myself -- "that's a cool color combination, I wonder how I put these together?". I should have know that the answer was coldwater creek! LOL!

MaryAnnK 04-17-2008 01:09 PM

I could have checked all of them. But most often I start with an occasion.

mycatstamps2 04-20-2008 06:51 AM

Looks like pollers often start with the occassion so far. Love to read everyone's inspiration- Dannie with her card layout shopping and Dianne with her Coldwater Water Creek catty.

Thanks for participating!

alanasnana 04-23-2008 11:14 AM

Its mostly occasions that inspire me. I would love to say that it is challenges but I don't have time to do them regularly:(

jazzytobi 04-23-2008 11:53 AM

i checked SCS challenges AND Other, because i also get inspired by the thousands of blog challenges out there! gives me a sense of purpose.

buggainok 04-23-2008 12:07 PM

Lots of times a sentiment or saying will inspire me. Usually the sentiment is not on a stamp, but I can do it on the computer and then stamp the card to go with the cute saying.

In fact, I just did this last night:

//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/892877?cat=500&ppuser=95067

FromKorea 04-23-2008 12:13 PM

I said Occasion but sometimes I do it by color scheme and even case. Mostly I do it by occasion.

tay0479 04-23-2008 01:26 PM

I picked other. I usually start with color and then pick a stamp but then change the colors and layout and then the stamp etc.. This goes on for about 30 mins to 1 hour. After I finally get it straight I make the card.

stitchinstampin 04-23-2008 01:44 PM

I normally begin with the occassion....then if the card needs to be
for male or female.........then go to the stamp sets from there........then
the color theme!

Lori

curias 04-23-2008 02:44 PM

I voted for colour, but I usually start with a stamp set and then choose papers or stamp colours. I usually make all occasion cards.

Stacy1171 04-23-2008 03:00 PM

I usually start with occassion, but every so often (when I want to use up some scraps) I start with colors.

Julesiana 04-23-2008 03:10 PM

I usually start with the stamps I want to use...otherwise it is a challenge.

mycatstamps2 04-23-2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stacy1171 (Post 9609728)
I usually start with occassion, but every so often (when I want to use up some scraps) I start with colors.

You use your scraps? I'm envious! I have mounds of scraps that I try to incorporate into projects .... way to go!
:-).