Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Can't Decide Linen or Canvas? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/cant-decide-linen-canvas-176407/)

Mom2Men 08-21-2006 09:30 AM

Can't Decide Linen or Canvas?

They both look very similar to me. Am I not seeing something in this background stamp?

binmar 08-21-2006 09:35 AM

i think i would have to go with linen. I do have both and think that they do look different on paper. Linen is definately more subtle! Hope that helps.

J-Bo 08-21-2006 09:37 AM

I thought that at first. But, have just ordered linen and am ordering canvas next month. These are must have's for me. The linen is a bit more subtle where as canvas is not. I think they add a perfect amount of texture and dimension to cards and felt they both gave very different looks to the cards. That is just my 2 cents. Good luck on your decision. I found looking through the gallery and the catty and making note of the different looks on the samples was a huge eye opener.
:)

ckstamps 08-21-2006 09:42 AM

I was just about to say what J-Bo said. Linen is a subtle, softer look, with varying "nubbies" on it so that the pattern doesn't look very rigid. Canvas is a little more bolder, with the pattern being more consistent.

I have them both, but find I am reaching for Linen more often now. Maybe though that just depends on the kind of card I'm making lately. Linen looks really quite nice with floral stamps for a soft look but gives you that little extra "oomph" where you need it on a card sometimes.

Hope that helps!

nmslmomto3 08-21-2006 09:43 AM

I have both, and use linen more often, but do love both. If I could only have one, it would be linen.

Mom2Men 08-21-2006 09:52 AM

Thanks Everyone for your input. I think I'll go with Linen for now and order Canvas next time.

kristransue 08-21-2006 09:54 AM

good choice!

Linen also works very well if you stamp it over patterned paper, looks nice.

lilyinkpad 08-21-2006 09:55 AM

I know you made your decision and I support it. I use Canvas on fun, contemporary cards and linen on more traditional/fancy cards. I love them both, though for the texture and dimension it adds to my cards.

ClaudiafromGermany 08-21-2006 10:03 AM

getting both is a good desicion.
i got linen also first but then with using it i wanted to have canvas just because it showes more.

so i will get canvas next month

Ksullivan 08-21-2006 10:25 AM

Yep both is the best way to go. I ordered Canvas a month before Linen came out and immediately ordered Linen, love them both. Which one I use just depends on which look I want.
K

mothermcbride 08-21-2006 11:03 AM

I have Linen and use it quite a bit. For some reason, Canvas never gave me the warm, fuzzy feeling it gives the many, many people that do love it. But, I love Linen. :) The truth is, you probably need both AND Aida cloth which is another of my new favorites!!! :D

Faereygirl 08-21-2006 12:55 PM

I just got my linen background on Friday...I like it...but I guess I just don't have the 'touch' to use it yet! ;)

pfamilygal 08-21-2006 01:09 PM

I agree with y'all. And linen looks so pretty in caramel or sand over an image.

olivia'smom 08-21-2006 01:15 PM

I bought canvas an eternity ago and I am too cheap to buy linen. They are just too close for me to justify buying another.

Cathy H 08-21-2006 02:17 PM

I'm with Olivia's Mom. Someday maybe -- but it is low on my whish list

Cathy H 08-21-2006 02:18 PM

whish list? How about "wish list" -- I do miss the edit button.

diane617 08-21-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mothermcbride
I have Linen and use it quite a bit. For some reason, Canvas never gave me the warm, fuzzy feeling it gives the many, many people that do love it. But, I love Linen. :) The truth is, you probably need both AND Aida cloth which is another of my new favorites!!! :D

I like the look of all of them and was considering Linen and Aida, but my question is, can you put little x's on aida with a marker and make it look like real x-stitch?
Diane:confused:

StampinSweetie 08-21-2006 04:10 PM

I have both. I like Canvas but I love Linen. Although they appear similar they both look very different on paper, well at least IMO. If you don't have either I would suggest getting Linen (first!;))

anniart 08-21-2006 04:14 PM

I use both about equally and cannot imagine being without either. Very different looks to me. I tend to use Canvas more as a background and linen over the top of things.

My pressing question is: Do I need Aida TOO?

SCEmily 08-21-2006 04:52 PM

I have canvas, but I think it looks too bold. Really I think linen should be called canvas, and canvas should be called screen or something. If you look at it samped it looks just like a window screen. But anyway, I think I like linen better.

mothermcbride 08-21-2006 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617
I like the look of all of them and was considering Linen and Aida, but my question is, can you put little x's on aida with a marker and make it look like real x-stitch?
Diane:confused:

You know, when I first heard they were making the Aida stamp, I imagined making little X messages, etc. But, as of yet, I haven't. I just like the way it looks as a background. :)

Honey Bee 08-21-2006 07:08 PM

I really like my canvas stamp. I use it constantly with versamark. It gives me just enough texture to dress up the background. That way it's very soft and not bold at all. It's the background stamp I reach for the most.

Honey Bee