Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Canadian/US postage (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/canadian-us-postage-11488/)

demodarla 10-05-2004 06:21 PM

Canadian/US postage

Okay, y'all, what do you do when you are sending something from Canada to the US and have to include return postage? It is my understanding that you can not buy US stamps in Canada, not to mention the whole weight difference thing. So if you are involved in a swap or something, how do you handle the postage differences?
Thanks for the help.

Darla

heresrita 10-05-2004 06:30 PM

I have been sending the swap host a cheque (I think you spell that check) to cover the postage. Most just give the extra back in US stamps to nearest stamp cost. I will use those US stamps in my next swap if I have enough. I hope that makes sense.

ReindeerTrout 10-05-2004 06:30 PM

If you have stamps.com, you can print out a stamp of any denomination. For example, you could print out a stamp for $3.85 for Priority Mail. If you can't find another solution, maybe we can work something out so that I print the postage for you and forward it to the hostess. That way, we can't possibly break any contraband rules! lol

Ronda Nix 10-05-2004 06:46 PM

As a Canadian stamper, I have sent money orders in US funds to cover the costs of the return postage when I have participated in swaps, but I think for the future, I will get my dad to pick up some stamps for me that I can send with the swap items because it is a $4 charge every time you purchase a money order. (he is a truck driver and goes to the US a few times a week). Hope this helps. :D
Ronda

stampinjewelsd 10-05-2004 06:49 PM

I participate in a number of swaps with demos in the US and I always send a US money order or US cash. I don't send a check because I wasn't sure if they would be charged an extra fee for cashing a check issued from a non US bank. I have never had any problems, but I do wish that we could buy US stamps here it would be so much easier.

ReindeerTrout 10-05-2004 06:56 PM

I just thought of something. The U.S. Postal Service has a website where you can buy postage. Can you get it there? Will they ship to Canadian addresses?

Stampin'Mumof2Girls 10-05-2004 07:33 PM

I had a fellow SCS send me some US stamps (thanks again Keri! :D ) but I am almost out therefore the next few swaps I am in, I am going to send concealed US cash for the hostess to purchase what she needs in postage to send back up to me. Paypal would work if the swap hostess had an account also I suppose.

I so enjoy participating in the swaps with all the US ladies and it is a bit of a hurdle to overcome---but not impossible I don't think? Thanks to all the US swap hostesses that let us Canucks be a part of your swaps!!! :D

Sereikastamper 10-05-2004 07:47 PM

Girl, I can send you some more stamps anytime you need them!!! Just let me know! :)

Stampin'Mumof2Girls 10-05-2004 08:00 PM

Well I hate to be a "begger" you know!! Make you my "postage stamp slave" LOL!! :lol: I'll send you a pm. :wink:

Emilysuesue 10-05-2004 08:31 PM

While were on the Canadian postage topic, could someone please tell me the correct 'format' for writing a Canadian address on the envelope, please? What exactly goes on each line? Do you do 3 lines or 4? Thanks! I'd really like to send some RAKS to some gals who live 'up there'.

squeek 10-05-2004 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emilysuesue
could someone please tell me the correct 'format' for writing a Canadian address on the envelope, please?

Name
Street address or Box #
City, Province
Postal Code (ie: A1B 2C3)
CANADA

HTH,
Squeek

gerrier2 10-06-2004 06:23 AM

Could you ask one hostess to purchase stamps for you

In the past I have sent one hostess a money order and asked her to purchese extra stamps for you. I always send an extra hostess gift if I have special requests.

Emilysuesue 10-06-2004 06:24 AM

thanks, so much, squeek! I felt silly asking that, but I don't want to confuse the postal workers! They ARE our friends, you know!
:D

sandy McCulloch 10-06-2004 07:01 AM

Hello, I have family members who work for Canada Post. Here is what they say is the correct format for addressing mail to Canada from other countries.

Name
Street Address and apt. #
Province and Country
Postal Code

Hope this clears up any confusion for both the senders and recievers.
Sandy

heresrita 10-06-2004 07:19 AM

Sandy's is more or less correct, execpt she forgot the city on the line with the province and country does not need to be on it. The postal code always goes last and DON'T WRITE IN THE BOTTOM 1 INCH OF THE ENVIE.

Here are the on-line links to Canada Post

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/ho...e.asp?ALL=TRUE

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/ho...?step=1&page=1

The first link has lots of info, the second one has an example.

demodarla 10-06-2004 07:26 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input. If anyone needs some US stamps I don't mind being someone's postal slave :P and sending them. We want to keep all of our cool Canadian cousins participating in the swaps!

Thanks again.

Darla

heresrita 10-06-2004 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittymeow
Thanks to everyone for their input. If anyone needs some US stamps I don't mind being someone's postal slave :P and sending them. We want to keep all of our cool Canadian cousins participating in the swaps!

Thanks again.

Darla

Yup, soon to be very cool with winter on the way :!: