Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Can anyone tell me how this card was cut (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/can-anyone-tell-me-how-card-cut-348669/)

1GirlTwinBoys 05-17-2008 03:26 AM

Can anyone tell me how this card was cut

I got this from Lauralay's blog. She said in the description, that she used CM oval cutting tool for this oval shaped card. I have that tool but can't for the life of me figure out how she did this to make it connected at the top to fold open. I know it's probably so simple but I'm just not getting it. ;) Any help? :confused: I emailed her but have not heard anything back yet.

THANKS!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...l/Ovalcard.jpg

kluvsj711 05-17-2008 03:32 AM

My guess is... she had her folded cardstock, then she used the cutting tool (I'm not sure how their tool is designed) to cut all the way around the card except for a tiny bit near the fold.

You can do this with a punch... fold a piece of paper in half, flip your punch upside down so that you can see the paper inside, move the paper until the fold is within the punch area, then punch. You'll have a folded piece of paper in that shape!

Hope this makes sense and helps ya!

LateBlossom 05-17-2008 03:34 AM

Fold the paper. Place the plastic oval so that the fold is INSIDE the cut line of the blade. This way, the blade will leave the section of fold uncut.

It's easier to do than to describe, LOL! But I hope this helps.

nancystamps 05-17-2008 03:35 AM

I'm not sure what she did, but I made an egg shaped Easter card using the CM oval cutter. First I made a rectangular A2 sized card (4.25 x 5.5) with the fold at the top. Then I placed the oval cutter on the card, but just shifted it up a bit so I left some of the fold at the top, and cut through both layers of the card at once. I had a little bit of a flat spot at the fold. I can't see from her Lauraly's picture if she does too. Maybe you'll hear from her yet.

nancystamps 05-17-2008 03:36 AM

Looks like we all posted at the same time with the same advice, LOL!

1GirlTwinBoys 05-17-2008 03:42 AM

Quote:

Fold the paper. Place the plastic oval so that the fold is INSIDE the cut line of the blade. This way, the blade will leave the section of fold uncut.

It's easier to do than to describe, LOL! But I hope this helps.
:) Thanks, I would have never figured that out on my own. :rolleyes:

StampingShawn 05-17-2008 07:12 AM

What a cool card! Thanks for sharing it and the way to make it! I'm making a birthday card for a 16 year old girl today and this would be so perfect for her!

Wow! What a great timing!

ashmanra 05-21-2008 11:17 AM

Hadn't thought of it, now I gotta try it! I have had these cutters - for years - nad hadn't thought of this! How embarassing!

vikivoly 05-21-2008 12:10 PM

I have the CM cutter too, but I can't believe it would cut through 2 sheets of cardstock.

toniballesteros 05-21-2008 04:41 PM

What a great idea--just when I'm getting tired of the regular old cards!

Lauraly 05-21-2008 06:11 PM

Hi! Thanks ladies for helping out! That is exactly how I made this card! I first folded my c.s., then used the CM Oval cutting system to cut the oval card out (I placed the oval template so the top of the oval was hanging off of the fold part a little...thus leaving a little bit uncut for the fold).

Let me know if you have any more questions! :-)

erinbh 05-21-2008 06:30 PM

You can do any shape with any tool (punches, Coluzzle, CM, Nesties)- just leave the cutting tool off one little part of the fold. Easy-peasy!

walshes5 05-21-2008 07:23 PM

I don't use the "self-healing mat" that you could get with the CM cutters. I use a glass mat, and let me tell you, it makes a huge difference! It glides smoothly and makes sharper cuts, IMHO.

Cordykins 05-21-2008 07:24 PM

yes, easy as pie, just have the top of the oval overlap over the top of the folded crease, so it doesn't cut the scored part. Then open it and cut the oval out of the center.