Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Bye-bye stamp room....

Well, the day has finally come and I just listed my house to sell. I will be picking up and moving across the country (WI to TX), and need to start packing up my craft room. I will have to hire movers for this, but I'm not sure yet whether or not I'll have them pack. Even if I do have them pack, I'm wondering if I should still do my craft room myself.... Any suggestions?

Also, suggestions for HOW to pack stamp pads, paper, etc., etc. to make the trip safely?

Thanks!!!! I'll be looking for new stamping friends once I get to Austin!!

{My Gallery}
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

I hate moving. I'd like a bigger house, but I hate moving enough to never do it again! Good luck to you! What kind of dog is your avatar? So cute!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Good luck!!! I'm with Cindy, I hate moving & will live in this house until I die. I would like to someday rennovate & put an addition on (which I know is still a lot of work & frustration ~ I lived through my parents doing that!!) because I love our location & neighbors.

I would definitely want to pack up my stamping stuff myself ~~ but I've never had to so I don't have any tips for you
Old 04-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Yes..moving is a pain but I would pack your craft room yourself...you'll tend to be more careful with it!
Welcome to Tx!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh our house has a sale pending and I have decided to pack my "stuff" myself. I also have decided it will be the last room, next to my daughter's room to be packed. We are off to Bath NY area the end of June.

Good luck to you!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

I moved and let my SIL help me. Big Mistake. Do it yourself.
One of Kota's Kids
Too Blessed to be Stressed
Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Keep in mind that card stock gets very heavy, very quickly. So don't overpack your boxes.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Welcome to Texas!

My Gallery
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Definitely pack your own stuff. I'm one of those 'born organized' people, but if you take your time and do it right, you'll be able to find just what you need when you need it so you can get stamping ASAP after your move. Moving guys, they'll just throw it all in however THEY see fit. I'd recommend using smaller boxes so things don't get too compacted together, YKWIM? I have DZYNTEC storage units and just moved my ink pads in them when I moved. I was only moving 30 minutes away though, so they weren't in a hot moving van for a long period of time. Good luck!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Packing the stash by yourself makes a lot of sense. Gosh, I've often thought of taking everything out of my space just to take inventory! Hope you allow enough time and have fun with it!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RED DIVAS!
Old 04-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kristi, thanks for asking this question. We are getting ready to move to SC and I was wondering the same thing. I think I'll be packing my craft room myself. I'm going to put each of my stamp pads in a ziplock bag, just in case. We will be packing up next month and will be here for about a month before we actually leave. My daughter said, "Mom, what are you going to do without your stamps"? I guess I'll have to read or work on my cross stitching.

Good luck to you with your move.
Have a great day!
Diane
Old 04-24-2007, 11:53 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Definitely do it yourself! Others wouldn't understand why we are picky and very careful with our craft supplies as we do. As for me if we ever need to pack up, I'm good to go because practically everything is in those sterilte drawer units so I just stick 2 units in a box, etc. As for the ink pads, you would probably want to get individual ziplock bag for each pad and put them in one big box. If anything leaks it would be all in the ziplock and on the pad itself, you just use the babywipes to clean the pad covers lol.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

I recently made a huge move also - From California to Georgia. One thing I did was have my upline save Stampin Up boxes so I can pack my stamping stuff in there. I absoulutely had to know where the important stuff was. And when I saw those boxes com off the moving truck - it was like getting the ultimate delivery from UPS!

Best of luck on your move!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:24 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzy B
I recently made a huge move also - From California to Georgia. One thing I did was have my upline save Stampin Up boxes so I can pack my stamping stuff in there. I absoulutely had to know where the important stuff was. And when I saw those boxes com off the moving truck - it was like getting the ultimate delivery from UPS!

I hate moving---The OP has my sympathies!

I like this idea of only packing the craft items in SU! boxes. If I were closer I would give you some. I have found movers to do pretty good with stuff, but they know about packing computers, and fragile kitchen items much better. If you have the time/energy it may be best to tackle this room on your own.

my blog
Old 04-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

We purchased a brand new home 8 months ago (house is lovely/nice stamp room/payments suck) and get this...I moved all my stamp stuff in my Jeep Liberty accept for the shelving and plastic stacking totes that would not fit. I wanted it all where I knew I could touch it at all times. This is going to sound nuts....(ew....maybe it is) but when we go on vacation I always have to take something of my stamping stuff so I dont feel so far away from all my precious stamping supplies. Something to do with withdrawl I think.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:13 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzy B

LOL! What a great idea to use the SU boxes - what better way to know where your stamping supplies are!
To the OP, I would pack it myself so that is got packed in a way that made sense to me. That will make the unpacking so much easier when you get there, and will allow you to find the important stuff you may need if you don't have time to get it unpacked right away.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Where is TX are you moving?
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Old 04-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

I have moved 12 times during my marriage - LET THE MOVERS MOVE YOU. If you box yourself it is not covered under insurance. (I would put the stamp pads in ziplock bags however, just let them box everything)
Old 04-24-2007, 04:14 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

I have moved more times than I think I can count! I would say pack yourself. True, it may not be covered under insurance but if you do the packing yourself you probably won't need the insurance! Use small boxes, write an inventory on each box, use ziplocks whenever possible, and just think of the totally organized room you'll have at the end of the move. Also, don't forget to take this opprotunity to weed out any supplies you don't use or need. Give them to neighbors as a way to remember you! Don't forget, moving is stressful but keep your sense of humor...you are bound to see a ton of *crack* during those few days!! (Maybe leave out a few belts to pass around )
Old 04-24-2007, 04:18 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I let the movers pack the fragile stuff so they would have to pay for it when it broke. If you pack it, you have to prove you packed it correctly in order to get paid. I did pack all my own craft supplies though as I wanted it done my way. I wouldn't recommend packing candles, mine were a little melting and disfigured when I arrived in CA from OR in April.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've moved my stamping stuff several times - definitely pack your own craft stuff. Otherwise the movers will throw "whatever fits' in the boxes to fill them up - stamping or not. They do get heavy quickly! I used a lot of little bags and grocery store plastic bags to protect and sort things in boxes. This way you can label everything exactly and put the things you use the most on top of the boxes. Definitely let the movers pack pictures, etc. I've always had one damaged in a move and then the company has to pay to fix it, not me.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

When we moved, I had lots of my craft supplies in Iris carts. The movers just had me use that saran type stuff on a roll that they sell at moving places to make sure the drawers were secure........worked out great. When we got to our new home, I just had to take the scissors and cut the wrap and they were loaded and ready to go.

If you are packing in boxes, just don't pack them to heavy.....and maybe pack like things together.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I live in the Austin area...PM me when you get here and I can give you info. on craft stores etc.

I wish I had my own craft room...jealous
Old 04-24-2007, 06:45 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

I have made several long distance moves, and my best advice is to let the movers pack you!!! First of all, it is a big load off you. Second, they know what they're doing...I have never "lost" one single item (breakage or theft), and I have a lot of china and crystal. They have always treated all my possessions w/ the utmost care, including the craft supplies. Nothing has ever just been tossed in a box...stamp pads were wrapped and taped. Good luck w/ your move!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Eghhh... I've never moved since I made my stamping room, so I don't have any tips on packing the supplies. Best of luck to you in TX.. Happy stamping!!!

<333.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by llevans
Where is TX are you moving?
Austin!

{My Gallery}
Old 04-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I definitely recommend if you have any stamp pads that have removeable lids that you tape them shut with painters tape so there is no residue when you remove them. Do that to any other containers that the lid may come off. I have moved several times, but if the movers don't do the packing they usually don't insure what they don't pack. Just get everything organized and tell them to pack your stamp room separately and not to combine it with any other room. You will need to be very watchful if you let them pack it.
Hope this helps!
Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I moved from Wausau, WI to Houston, TX almost 4 years ago. (oh, weather is WAY better down here...you'll know what I mean when you get here) What I did was I took some of the big thick boxes and even the plastic caddies that I had in my stampin room and packed them and put them in the back of MY Explorer (so nothing would happen to them at my dh's hand...LOL) Everything else went in the u-haul but no-no-no my stamps were with me! I also plastic wrapped my ink pads together so they didn't open in the move and my gosh that was worth it! There were a few I must have missed and somehow they opened and well, lets just say it wasn't pretty. But yes...someone said not to overpack the boxes...yes, don't do that! Even the heavy-duty boxes can be over weight with stamping stuff! Good luck on the move and welcome to the neighborhood!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:27 PM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm getting ready to move just within the same town. We won't be using movers but I'm not letting anyone (dh) else touch my yarn, books, or stamping supplies. I am taking this as a great time to organize and just to move what I *really* want and need and not to look back. Good luck!
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Every time we move I pack up what I can carry with me and take it myself. I put my ink pads (all ink items) in plastic containers so if something leaks then it does not get too far....

I also ziplock things that are in drawers. So I have a 4 drawer cart...I took everything out and put them in ziplocks and put them back in the drawer. I have a whole drawer of things that are in a basket and I put all of them in ziplocks and back in the basket.

I ziplocked my silverware, junk drawer, remotes, anything in bowls or baskets.

Anything you can not replace you should carry with you. You never know what the movers may find valuable!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Team Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeniseW
I have moved 12 times during my marriage - LET THE MOVERS MOVE YOU. If you box yourself it is not covered under insurance. (I would put the stamp pads in ziplock bags however, just let them box everything)
Exactly what I was thinking....I can't believe you were the first to comment on this. DEFINATELY let the movers handle it. "Packed By Owner" isn't covered under the moving insurance, and let's face it - very, very few items are irreplaceable when it comes to our craft rooms. We move every 3 years or so, and I let the professionals handle it. I have only had one claim and that was a tv. The only things we move ourselves are a jewelry, valuable personal documents, irreplaceable photos and a very limited number of family heirlooms.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Old 04-26-2007, 05:34 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Kristi- I have moved cross country twice and will move to a new state this summer so I am close to an expert.

1) I still store mounted stamps in the pizza boxes I bought in 1999! Pizza boxes are sturdy and you can tape 3-4 filled boxes together.
2) If you have reinkers put EACH one in an INDIVIDUAL small Ziploc style baggie. If the pressure changes and the reinker leaks it won't stain 7 or 8 bottles surrounding it. Not that I know from experience. I put all the reinkers in plastic shoe boxes that I tape shut and then pack 4 of them in a box.
3) If you have Iris chests, stuff them full of odd shaped or light items and use crumpled paper for padding to stuff the drawers full. The moving company will shrink wrap the whole unit if you ask.
4) You can pack stuff like Rubbermaid (or the like) plastic storage bins and then have them taped. All moving companies I have worked with were willing to do this.
5) Paper- they were very heavy but I packed my reams of paper in actual paper boxes (like for copier paper for work.) They were heavy boxes but probably no heavier then a piece of furniture.

If you have people from the moving company come to help you pack- even non craft supplies- ask them if they mind if you write notes on boxes. I always ask and they never have a problem. I make notes on the side of boxes (usually 2-3 of the sides in case they are unloaded and placed against a wall). "Kitchen" or dishes isn't ahuge help when you need something but "Tupperware", "green plastic cups and paper plates" or more descriptive words can be a help. My husband is always amazed because he'll ask me for a small item and I can usually locate the box in under a minute (I do unpack the boxes after the move!)

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I pretty much used large pizza boxes for my stamping stuff each time that I've moved.
  1. Spicer, MN to Fort Collins, CO
  2. Fort Collins, CO to Hutchinson, KS (three weeks after move #1)
  3. Hutchinson, KS to Eldred, MN
  4. Eldred, MN to Barnesville, MN
I have stamp cabinet with drawers to store my stamps organized by category. (Just one layer of stamps.) Using the NEW pizza boxes, I was able to write on the outside of each box the categories that it contained.

What's REALLY cool is that the pizza boxes were able to be stacked inside one of the garment boxes that the moving company had. The company that I worked for paid for moves #1 and #2 so I was able to have the luxury of having professional packers too, although I packed the stamps myself.

For my ink pads, I put a rubberband around each one and then put each one in a ziploc bag. These were also stored in pizza boxes, stacked two or three high (I can't remember for a fact on that part). My paper was also packed into the pizza boxes.

The pizza boxes are nice because they don't have any printing on the inside and the cardboard should absorb any potential condensation as opposed to using plastic containers that may build up moisture as the climate changes during the move.

Most pizza places will either give or sell you their boxes fairly cheap. Maybe less than $1 a box.

Kimberly
Old 04-26-2007, 05:54 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good Luck with your move. My family moved quite q bit when I was younger, and my mother has give a few pieces of advie. Let the movers pack you - they are professional and it will be covered by insurance. The time to organize is when you UNOACK. If the mover pack you, let them pack everything, and throw things away as you unpack and put away in your new house. You will start your new life less cluttered, and you'll be able to organize as you unpack.

Getting ready for a move is stressful enough, and you don't need the added stress of trying to organize and pack too.

The suggestions about zip-lock bags and taping thing closed is a great one. And the Iris Cart thing too. If you can pack those full of stuff, ask the movers to just tape the drawers closed.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:56 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Excuse me - that was UNPACK - wish there was an edit button!
Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH some movers are different than others ... they will totally unpack everything you put in containers and repack them. Others will just open them and make sure things are "OK" and consider that carrier packed. So dont seal (tape closed) anything let the movers do it. If you dont ziplock things or put them in little containers the movers will wrap it up in the packing paper. You dont know how many times I have unwrapped something and thought "why did they wrap this in paper?" Like a big lint ball! Also you may miss something when unwrapping and toss it.

We have moved 9 times with movers and it is always a different experience!

I love the pizza box idea! Kinda neat way to organize too!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken
Old 05-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #37  
Master of All Things Big Shot

Send a message via Skype™ to militarystampingmom

I'm so glad I found this thread. We are moving from Okinawa Japan to Dayton Ohio and my biggest concern is packing my inks/pencils and markers in a way that won't stain everything under the sun. This is our third military move but I have yet to have Movers that I like so I will be scrutinizing every move they make.

I like the idea of rubberbands and ziplock baggies for the inkpads and reinkers. I think I will rubberband the stamps as well. The hardest part is going to be deciding what I put in my express shipment and what I leave for the giant household goods...

thanks for all the advice ladies!!
Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 AM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

We moved across the country 3 years ago, from Florida to Oklahoma. I just had the movers pack my stamp room. They did a wonderful job and everything arrived in safety. I wouldn't sweat it.

Good luck!
Robyn

My Gallery
Old 05-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

We cannot afford movers so we've always packed and moved things ourselves. But I agree that it's nicer to have someone else do it, if possible.

If you decide to pack your things yourself, I just recommend using small boxes, especially for paper, catalogs, and other misc paper items as they get heavy very quickly. It also helps when unpacking. Label your boxes with detail lists so you can organize your new stamping space easily. With big boxes, you may have several open at one time while reorganizing and that can be frustrating. Once I knew we were moving, I started saving all of my SU boxes. The pizza box idea sounds great as well - maybe wrap several of those together with plastic wrap? My stamp sets were in rubbermaid bins that I simply taped shut. Separating anything with ink from other items is also a must.

BTW, WELCOME to central Texas! I'm just north of San Antonio and love it here! I have family in the UP and know you will enjoy the weather down here. If you need anything or if I can answer any questions for you about the area, please, please let me know.

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Old 05-16-2007, 07:30 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Just had to mention that we moved from Texas to Wisconsin 4 years ago. We had movers pack, but I probably only had 1/50 of what I have now. Yikes!!! Hope we don't move anytime soon.