Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Brutal Honesty needed, please (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/brutal-honesty-needed-please-379154/)

Disneywed 09-03-2008 05:45 AM

Brutal Honesty needed, please

Hey all, I need a hand with this card.....it is for an upcoming stamp camp, with 4 cards ranging from no-layers and super easy, to this one.....I know it needs something, what???

Feel free to be blunt, I can take it!!! :cool:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/.../photo/1041199

indyemmert 09-03-2008 05:54 AM

What if you use So Saffron for the base? It seems a little dark. I love the layout though!

Joan B 09-03-2008 05:58 AM

I love love love that focal image!!! I agree that the base is a bit dark and as a result you lose the sentiment. I would try the previous suggestion and see if you like it better.

stamper1996 09-03-2008 06:07 AM

I agree with everyone in that the base seems a little dark. However, if you like that color, try stamping the sentiment in black, so you can see it better. Also, if you want a little bling, maybe add a small charm near the bow of the ribbon?

stampacidal 09-03-2008 06:18 AM

I agree the background is dark and your first oval mat does not contrast enough from it. I think the card is very pretty just needs a few tweeks.

KearaS 09-03-2008 06:39 AM

What about layering the sentiment...
maybe a dot of Crystal Effects in the center of the flower...
and maybe pull in the so saffron either as the base or as another layer...

Love the focal image

austamper 09-03-2008 06:44 AM

Mmm I like the base dark like that. I think that maybe the frame for the focal image would be better in a so saffron or something similar to tie that in.

klhbenson 09-03-2008 06:50 AM

I think it's adorable. I like the dark base. I would just pull the oval, ribbon, and sentiment down a tad, so the oval isn't right at the top of the card. I thought about adding layers to the oval or the base...but figured you're trying to keep it "simple" for stamp camp. Great design!

kathy

Disneywed 09-03-2008 02:29 PM

Thanks everyone!!

godchick 09-03-2008 02:43 PM

What about using a white gel pen to highlight the hole punches around the focal image?

larue 09-03-2008 03:01 PM

I love the card and everyone's suggestions. I wonderful if a wider organdy ribbon would give it a little more pop.

rogers2345 09-03-2008 03:10 PM

um one word "Bling"
Glitter pen could really give it the subtle Bam it needs!!!
Beautiful start!!
Shelley

krystie lee 09-03-2008 03:24 PM

I think it's lovely! A few things that I'd change, just as a matter of personal taste:

I'd use a lighter card base, because you're losing the sentiment a bit, as others have said. Then I'd do the flowers on the cardbase in versamark, and the sentiment in a darker ink, so they don't compete.

I'd prefer that the focal image be on a rectangle, but that's just me, I'm not a huge fan of ovals. Also, I think people will have a harder time getting the piercing straight with an oval rather than a rectangle. If you do straight piercing, you can upsell the SU! mat pack! ;)

I'd slide the ribbon over so that the bow is more to the left. When you have 3 things (focal, bow, sentiment in this case), they are more pleasing to the eye when they're arranged in a triangle.

That's my .02! :) Great job, it's really pretty!

bamagal 09-03-2008 03:26 PM

How about if you layer another, slightly larger oval using Saffron CS under the pierced oval?

And what if you went with Moss for the big background, then Artichoke and Saffron for layered ovals under your focal flower? (Very nicely done flower, by the way!) That way there would be more contrast between the sentiment and the background . . .

MaryAnnK 09-03-2008 04:21 PM

JMO, but I would be careful about adding bling since it is a sympathy card.

stampinchampin 09-03-2008 04:28 PM

My first thought was using a yellow ribbon instead. Also the sentiment was hard to see. Can you emboss it or use layers to make it pop more?

stampingout 09-03-2008 05:20 PM

I agree with Mary Ann...definitely no bling on a sympathy card! I also agree with a lighter card base. Your card is very pretty! I am sure it will be a hit at your stamp camp! :)

Disneywed 09-03-2008 07:00 PM

Thank you all!!! re-working it tonight!