Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Brads or Eyelets? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/brads-eyelets-171834/)

PA Scrapper 08-05-2006 02:32 PM

Brads or Eyelets?

I am totally new to stamping, and I don't know which one to start with. Any recommendations for colors that you seem to use more? Any size suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

amy

blest2bstampin 08-05-2006 02:50 PM

I prefer brads because they require only a punch. Eyelets need a setting tool, hammer & mat. Brads look more finished to me and seem to be more in vogue. JMHO

Julesiana 08-05-2006 02:51 PM

BRADS! Hands down.

Much faster, much less equipment.

I used to use a craft blade to make a small slit and then push my brad through. That worked very well, but now my favorite way to use them is with a 1/16" hole punch.

SU! now has so many colorful brads (and the vintage style ones too) plus they are easy to color with embossing powder.

HTH

duluthscrapper 08-05-2006 03:03 PM

Brads are definetely easier to use. The eyelets require an eyelet setter, but in some cases I do like to use those. It depends on the project I am working on.
But just starting out I would start with brads.

indyemmert 08-05-2006 03:08 PM

I think if you start out with metallic brads such as SU's vintage brads assortment they will go with just about anything until you discover what colors you like best.

amysings 08-05-2006 04:12 PM

I have and use both, but brads are by far simpler to use.

thuskins 08-05-2006 04:21 PM

I have and use both too, but must admit I reach for brads more often than eyelets.

jmhoffmann 08-05-2006 04:34 PM

Ditto for brads...much easier and quicker to use. I do use eyelets too but much prefer my brads and now they are in so many cute shapes and sizes.

Hugs, Joanne :wink:

stampin' andrea 08-05-2006 05:13 PM

I concur with everyone else. As a beginner stamper, start with brads. Much easier to use, less equipment required.

I also think it is easiest to use brads with a 1/16" hole punch. I also agree about SU's vintage brad assortment. A great assortment to go with a variety of different styles of cards.

After you've gotten more into stamping, then branch out and get some eyelets. Have fun!

mesuezee 08-05-2006 07:09 PM

Brads are so much easier!

MaryR 08-05-2006 09:20 PM

I love my brads - big and small ones - and I just use a paper piercer tool for my hole - one of the best little tools I have

kphorse 08-06-2006 04:42 AM

I to have and use both, but must say, I use more brads than eyelets.

Why do I have 300 eyelets?

Cynamom 08-06-2006 05:27 AM

Eyelets look cool on some designs I've seen, but BRADS are soooooo easy and really versatile. Plus, you can emboss them or put glitter on them. FUN!

Cindy

Islandmomma2 08-06-2006 05:29 AM

I love brads - i can wrap ribbon under them easier than eyelets. I use eyelets, but not so much anymore. SU has just come out with the brads in the color families - yea.

Kheila Kirwan 08-06-2006 05:33 AM

I love brads, too, and emboss or glitter them to get the colors I want. I often cut off the "feet" so I don't have the bulkiness under a layer, and stick them on with crystal effects...works great!

jakeandryansmom 08-07-2006 07:15 AM

I too am new to stamping and I love brads. However, I never thought to emboss them!!! Thanks for the idea!

teenstamper 08-08-2006 09:15 AM

I love and use both, I like to use brads, but sometimes I find that the brads I have won't really go good with my creations, however, I can always seem to depend on my eyelets! I prefer eyelets personally, but thats just me. There both awesome!

raiwoof 08-08-2006 09:20 AM

I think I'm in the minority here! I myself prefer eyelets. I hardly ever use brads. However, I did vote for brads in your case for most of the reasons stated above. They are easier and require less equipment to be able to use them. So in the long run, that also makes them cheaper!! And cheaper is always good!!

cydstamps 08-08-2006 09:31 AM

I have and love both, but my "kids" don't bark when I use brads.

Cindy

kthaman 08-08-2006 11:20 AM

I *know* I easily have well over 2k eyelets in my house right now....but I much prefer brads! Brads are so easy to use and their closed top ensures I don't have to worry about what color is behind my paper. About the only time I use an eyelet is when I want the open look.

You can color brads with sharpies too!

Geneal 08-08-2006 11:54 AM

I prefer brads so I don't have to hammer the eyelets. It makes it miserable for anyone who happens to be working with me. Brads are those silent little gems that add to any card or scrapbook page.

geogymnast82 08-08-2006 11:59 AM

I have a ton of eyelets of a zillion colors. What do I usually grab when I want a little something on the card? My brads of course! Faster and easier than eyelets (and a lot quieter, too).

Mahloumel 08-08-2006 12:10 PM

You can colour eyelets with Sharpies, too. I only started liking and using eyelets once setters came out that didn't involve beating up my cards and layouts with a hammer. I have a spring-poewred one from memories direct that I love.

for a beginning crafter I would suggest brads over eyelets just because all you need to use a brad is a pushpin to make the hole and your fingers to split the splitty things on the back. eyelets aren't any better or worse than brads, they just have a different effect visually and can have a different function other than decorative. If you would like to try out eyelets, try out different setters first to see which one works best for you and your needs.

Frex the cropadile can punch through metal pails and set any brand of eyelet in the hole which is awesome, but can't do this over anything with a substantial lip (like the international coffees tins), and can't punch holes or set eyelets further than 2" or so in from the edge of the project. the silent setter is a fab, silent tool but can only set aluminum eyelets easily, and going through anything stiffer than good cardstock takes a little patience and perseverance. Tehre are a lot of other options out there, too.

jeanstamping2 08-08-2006 03:59 PM

Brads

I prefer Brads, There are so many different shapes and colors.

I use my click it tool and punch a single hole and add a brad.

It's super easy! Makes you're card and scrapbook page pop.

I still use eyelets but not as much as I used to.

rixey 08-09-2006 09:45 AM

I prefer eyelets, but mostly because I use alot of ribbon and like putting ribbon through the hole, but I find that other people tend to prefer brads becasue there is less equipment and time involved (as many have already said) Start with brads and see what you like!

Stamping Emma 08-09-2006 09:56 AM

I have both but I tend to use eyelets more often. The only way I will use a brad is if the back of the brad is going to be hidden underneath a piece of cardstock. I like the way eyelets look "flowered" on the inside of a card. I also use a lot of ribbons and like threading the ribbon through the eyelet holes.

I'm sure my boyfriend wishes I'd use brads because I usually get creative when he's watching TV in the evening. Between my eyelet setting and my electric pencil sharpener... :wink:

peistamper 08-09-2006 11:49 AM

I find the metal colors are the most common to use. I use alot of brads but eyelets have a place for some things like putting trim through to hold on a card.

Jen4Jenn 08-09-2006 01:03 PM

I prefer to use the brads as well... Definitely not as loud as using the eyelets, not as much work as eyelets and they also come in just as many colors! I started out with a combo pack that had black, gold, silver & brushed copper, and that was certainly enough to get me going!

jillm322 08-09-2006 03:40 PM

Brads are in now. When I first started, it was all eyelets. I like both, but like the other posters - brads are easier!

kathyj30 08-09-2006 04:45 PM

I'd start with brads for ease. And if you don't have a piercer or a punch yet, a push pin will make the hole just fine. I love all the new colored ones that SU carries now....very cool.
Eyelets will come later and are great too!

gaylestamps 08-09-2006 09:32 PM

I said eyelets, but wish there was another choice - YES!

lindylou1220 08-10-2006 02:11 AM

I got some really cool eyelet brads from, I think, PaperWishes. Love brads!

CraftCrazy98 08-10-2006 02:52 AM

I like both but I have to say that I use eyelets more (with my Silent Setter) because it doesn't add as much bulk to the card. However, that said, brads are very easy to do.

Susannk 08-10-2006 03:52 AM

I have both and have used both but much prefer brads.

kim 08-10-2006 04:50 AM

Hard choose for me....I LOVE both of them. I'd say that most of my cards have brads on them. But now that I got a Crop-a-dile, I've been using eyelets lots more. That tool puches the holes and sets eyelets so quietly. My husband never complains about eyelet noise anymore. :)

scrapyme 08-10-2006 05:39 AM

it just depends...

I use brats if the back will be covered,they are quick, easy and less noise and hazzard, if the design call for layaring the pieces that will show on the back, I use eyelets, a better finished look than the brats' Legs showing

pblair38 08-10-2006 05:43 AM

I have to say that when I finally have time to stamp, SOMEONE in this house is sleeping - either DH, 3YO DS, or 3 month old DS or all three - so it's brads all the way. I don't have a silent setter and no way am I going to risk waking someone pounding on those eyelets.

Penny

krabearkub 08-10-2006 06:35 AM

Style:
When I first started stamping I used all eyelets. But now I mainly use brads because it gives it a sharper look.

Color:
I like metal brads(silver, gold, brass) but am thinking about buying the colored ones that SU sells.

Size:
I like the medium/regular size brads and eyelets. I bought some large brads and eyelets and never use them because they are sooooo big!

emsmomthestamper 08-10-2006 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krabearkub
Style:
When I first started stamping I used all eyelets. But now I mainly use brads because it gives it a sharper look.

Color:
I like metal brads(silver, gold, brass) but am thinking about buying the colored ones that SU sells.

Size:
I like the medium/regular size brads and eyelets. I bought some large brads and eyelets and never use them because they are sooooo big!

I'm a brad girl myself and I don't mean Brad Pitt.. :} Hes hot but cheating knocks him down in my book... lol
I vote for Brads. Smeone should start a poll..I don't know how. Add one to this thread why don't you?? K

emsmomthestamper 08-10-2006 06:52 AM

Brads vs eyelets

I vote for Brads!!
You can play at night and not make the dog bark or wake the kids too! :}