Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2005, 01:59 PM   #1  
Duchess of Dork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU vs. NON-SU watercolor pencils?

Does anyone know anything about non-su watercolor pencils? I know that SU's are only 24 colors & not SU exact colors, so am looking at non-su pencils IF I can get them cheaper. I do have General's Kimberly wc pencils, but they aren't super vibrant AND the colors aren't the best choices. Half of them are these dark---earth element type, but all very "solemn" colors"---maybe more than half. I saw that Viking has some that look really good that are $24.97 or something----that's more than SU, but if I had a coupon, I'd use it. Then, if Michael's has a good quality wc pencil set that would be less than $19.95, I would do that, IF the colors are similar to SU.

Is there a place to get Prismacolor wc crayons for a discount? Do they ever make more than 36 colors? Prisma is the only set I've seen w/ more than 24.

Thanks!

Lori
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 02:11 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a set of 36 Staedtler ones, and I LOVE them!!!! I got mine off eBay and paid a total of $19.00 and that included shipping! Best thing I ever bought! My set has very bright colors as well as some more muted EE colors. Check around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 03:40 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Mine are also Staedtler watercolour pencils. I've had them for years and love them. Plus there's so much blending you can do, I really don't mind about the SU! colour matching.

I can list other (fine) artist lines of watercolour pencils, but how about a link?

Water Colour Pencils available from Blick art materials. Note: this is just so you can see several of the name brands...I've only ever heard of this company/site on here.

Hope this helps.

Want to join the SCS Fan Club?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 03:49 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default WC pencils

Prismacolor wc Pencils, I got mine at Hobby Lobby,

I think I paid around $18.00 I have 24.

Nancy

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 04:42 PM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I have Prismacolor and Staedtler, love them both. They work wonderfully with a blender pen. I've tried Stampin' Up's at workshops & stamp camps and they also work very nicely. Actually, they're all pretty much the same, imo. Just depends on what colors you're interested in.

I bought mine open stock from Hobby Lobby when they were running one of their 50% off sales. I've since tried to replace a couple of them but haven't seen them at Hobby Lobby for a while now (they have the regular Prismacolor pencils but not the watercolors) - I'm wondering if they've stopped carrying them. Blick carries (I believe) the entire Prismacolor line, Staedler, and a couple of other brands, but unfortunately they don't offer 40% off coupons. Maybe watch for a sale?
Psalm 113:3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I got mine at Walmart. I forget the brand. They are sort of triangular instead of round - not sure if that will make sense unless you can see them. But, I think the triangle shape of them is a trademark of the brand. Anyway - it's a set of 12 and I got them for about $13 CDN. So, they are likely only about $5 in the states!;) They are all bright colours and they come a great hard plastic case that folds back to make a stand. I'm really happy with them. They will get me by until I can can afford the watercolour crayons from SU! one day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2005, 10:52 PM   #7  
New Mommy

Received 141 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glittergal
I've since tried to replace a couple of them but haven't seen them at Hobby Lobby for a while now (they have the regular Prismacolor pencils but not the watercolors) - I'm wondering if they've stopped carrying them.
Have you checked at Joanns or Michael's? Both of my stores carry the Prismacolor watercolor pencils as open stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2005, 07:19 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Derwent brand and like them very much. They have a large color assortment that come in different sized starter kits _and_ individual pencils. They seem to have a good color selection too. I got mine at a local craft store that accepts the 40% off coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2005, 12:04 PM   #9  
Duchess of Dork

THanks so much for all the help! I went to Michael's & Hobby Lobby after all your info & did some 'window shopping'. I really like the color assortment in the Staedtler set for the type of things I do & you can get it in 36 colors. The prismacolor package of 24 was all sealed up, but I did take off the outerwrap so i could look at the colors. They were kind of mixed up so I couldn't see the color "families" as easily. If I could SEE them arranged in 'order' I might like those, but was hard to tell. THink the Derwent's cost a lot more, if i remember right. They had the 36 pack in the slot for the 24 pack so I saw the price & was so excited. Then I realized it was out of place! It was over $50. I can't spend $30 this week! (w/ the coupon!). I went to e-bay at someone's suggestion & can get the 36 Staedtlers for $19.50 plus $4.50 shipping. I'll still have to wait til next week when I get paid & hope they still have them (it's a shop, not an auction.).

If anyone has any other input, I'd love to hear it! I plan to get the SU crayons when I host a show, but if I can get 36 pencils for about the same price as 24 SU pencils, I'll do that. If not, then I'll stick w/ SU!

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Likes