Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   Bowtarded (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/bowtarded-74850/)

SilverDragoness 08-01-2005 04:18 PM

Bowtarded

Ok I think I'm seriously bowtarded. I just got some beautiful offray ribbon and I can't seem to tie a bow correctly. The tails don't end up in the same place and I'm having a hard time making it look nice not crinkly. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do this? I know there is a bowmaker thing that you can buy I just don't know where mine is. Besides I would love to be able to do this without a crutch. I've seen lots of lovely bows on this site and that's probably half of the reason I want to make nice ones. ;)

Leslie_sings 08-01-2005 04:22 PM

ok I almost spit out my diet coke...

sorry I can't help but that whole "bowtarted" thing is TOO funny!!

scrappin scientist 08-01-2005 04:26 PM

I am with you on this! I would love to hear any suggestions as well.

momsquiltn 08-01-2005 04:34 PM

Okay, now that I'm done laughing let me see if I can help. First, if you're having trouble with your bow tying start with more ribbon than you thing you need. Sometimes I'll just leave it on the spool until I get the bow tied right then snip it off. That way you can retie several times if needed. You may need to get ribbon and a folded card to practice as we go though the steps to make sense of it. Okay, got your ribbon and card.... do the first part of the tie, cross over and go under or over (oh, its like tying your shoes.) Now look at your ribbon, you have one tail coming out on top and one on the bottom .... take the bottom one and make your loop. Too big is okay you can make it smaller when it's all tied. Now, take the top ribbon and come over the TOP of the loop, around, under and through. Pull to make your bow. The bow will always be straight if you take the top tail over the loop. If your bow is too large, pull the tails one at a time and retighten the bow each time you adjust. I hope that helps.
Barbara

works2hrd 08-01-2005 04:48 PM

I was bow-challenged too, until a fellow scrapper turned me on to Martha Stewart's never-fail bow. She's right, it never fails! And I've never had a problem since.

Martha's Favorite Bow

HTH,

msamethyst1 08-01-2005 04:50 PM

I prefer to think of myself as bow "challenged" but I think I like bowtarded too. I have gotten better with practice, practice, practice and agree with the earlier poster who said use more ribbon. I am always trying to get the most milage from my supplies but discovered that it is cheaper to waste a couple inches of ribbon than deal with the frustration of ribbon that is too short.

That being said .... I'm still wheel challenged although am getting better with the wheel guide at least it's straight. Still have to work on the even ink application.

txblueyes 08-01-2005 05:00 PM

wow...I tried Martha's fav. bow, and it worked great!
Thanks for the tip.
Becky

geogymnast82 08-01-2005 05:27 PM

Okay, I must be really bowtarded if everyone else posted that they tried Martha's and it worked great. Mine failed miserably (never could get the hang of the two loop thing when learning to tie shoes either!). I tried the method suggested by momsquiln above and it worked perfectly the first time. Sorry Martha!

e waterous 08-01-2005 05:30 PM

I've never been able to figure out the second diagram in the Martha Stewart directions. It looks like you should go from 1. to 3. or am I missing something in that second picture?

e waterous 08-01-2005 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momsquiltn
Okay, now that I'm done laughing let me see if I can help. First, if you're having trouble with your bow tying start with more ribbon than you thing you need. Sometimes I'll just leave it on the spool until I get the bow tied right then snip it off. That way you can retie several times if needed. You may need to get ribbon and a folded card to practice as we go though the steps to make sense of it. Okay, got your ribbon and card.... do the first part of the tie, cross over and go under or over (oh, its like tying your shoes.) Now look at your ribbon, you have one tail coming out on top and one on the bottom .... take the bottom one and make your loop. Too big is okay you can make it smaller when it's all tied. Now, take the top ribbon and come over the TOP of the loop, around, under and through. Pull to make your bow. The bow will always be straight if you take the top tail over the loop. If your bow is too large, pull the tails one at a time and retighten the bow each time you adjust. I hope that helps.
Barbara

I am no longer "bowtarded"!!! These are the best directions ever. I'm gonna go tie a whole bunch of bows, just because I can. :D Thank you!!!

vdub_fan 08-01-2005 05:41 PM

tie your bow upside down , not you upside down but the bow. when you are facing the card and trying to tie ,turn the card around and then tie. with the fold side to your tummy not the open side to your tummy. it's hard for me to type this correctly but it was shown to me and it works for me. i was bowtarded too!

emilymomto3boys 08-01-2005 05:51 PM

I do mine just how she said and I do them upside down too.

SilverDragoness 08-01-2005 06:50 PM

I'm Cured. :)

Yay!!! I've been cured. Thanks everyone for all the hints. momsquiltn it took me a few tries sitting at the computer following your directions but it finally worked. Thanks so much for taking the time to type that all out for me. Also thanks everyone for the hints about which way to hold the card and such. I also looked at Martha's Favorite Bow while it did work for getting the ends on the correct side for some reason I didn't like the middle as much. I'll keep the extra ribbon idea in mind as well I definately prefer to see one nice bow rather than dozens of failed ones. Thanks again everyone. :p

mcost 08-02-2005 07:42 AM

Thanks SO MUCH momsquiltn!!! Your directions were great and my bows now look much better. The trick is definitely the part about going over the TOP of the loop when wrapping around. I always went under the loop and then around and my bows ended up cockeyed. Now I just have to figure out a way to break myself of the habit of tying bows the way I have for 40+ years!

Kathy S. 08-02-2005 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e waterous
I've never been able to figure out the second diagram in the Martha Stewart directions. It looks like you should go from 1. to 3. or am I missing something in that second picture?

This is exactly what I was thinking! I can't figure out what that picture #2 is. The #2 directions go with pic #3! Anyway, with all of these great directions, I think I'll be making bows much easier now...thanks!

momsquiltn 08-02-2005 01:07 PM

Glad I could help

Hooray!! I'm so glad I could help. My mom taught me bows after she opened a silk flower business. Until then I had cockeyed bows too.
:-)

BTGault 08-02-2005 03:07 PM

I must confess I am also bowtarded. I'll try the directions when my headache is gone. :(

lesliemommy 08-02-2005 03:22 PM

I tie my bows upside down too.

I will have to try Martha's bow though.

santakitty 08-02-2005 08:36 PM

"Martha's" directions I still can't follow but will try again when I've gotten my fingers untied. The other directions were great. Some time ago there were also directions for making the perfect bow & it's requires very little tying - here's the link - hope it works. Really does make a perfect bow.
http://www.mostlyanimals.com/kristalhtml/tips/bow1.htm
SantaKitty

Coletta 08-03-2005 08:09 AM

OMIGOSH.... I laughed so hard when I saw your post......"bowtarded"...that is just way too funny!!
Thanks for the laffs :)

Coletta
.....whose Stampin Up! demo forms are signed and going postal to Utah at this very minute!!!!WooHoo

(I'm so excited, I just can't hide it....I'm about to lose control.....and I think I like it~)

Moosekrazy 08-03-2005 08:26 AM

I am, sadly, very bowtarded. I've bought all kinds of gadgets and gizmos to overcome bowtardness. I'm hoping the suggestions I've found here will help me over come this disability!!! Can't wait to get out of work and try these! You guys are great!

blackie2m6 08-24-2005 06:10 PM

Bowtarded

The bow in the link above
http://www.mostlyanimals.com/kristalhtml/tips/bow2.htm
works awesome, I would never make bows that were presentable, and now I can.

Thanks.

Belle 08-24-2005 06:43 PM

Bow-easy...

I bought a bow maker thing at convention last fall called Bow-Easy (it was under $4 I think), and it really is ! Weird looking little gadget that makes 7 different sizes of bows. I bought mine from Morning Star Stamps but the address on the thing itself is this: Bow Easy Posi-Bendr Co PO Box 1007 Huntington Beach CA 92647 Phone # 714-377-0871. It took me a couple tries to get it down but now I make great uniform bows. Not affliliated, just happy.

I also add a vote for the tying upside down. When I tie bows on my clothes, like at the neck of a blouse, I make the loop with the opposite hand that I normally do. That makes my clothes bows lay nice.

I will try the links to the other directions out tomorrow after work.

clln 08-24-2005 07:15 PM

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by momsquiltn
Hooray!! I'm so glad I could help. My mom taught me bows after she opened a silk flower business. Until then I had cockeyed bows too.
:-)

I did it I actually made a bow!! Who would of thought making a bow would be so hard :). Your directions were great. I got it on the first try. Martha's pics were confusing. I got it after a few tries. I was using the first "Right loop" to go behind and under the left. :)

CardFanatic 08-24-2005 07:48 PM

Oh dear! I'm still bow impaired!

handstampedhappiness 08-24-2005 07:49 PM

"Bowtarded" is one of the funniest things I have heard in a long time!!! LOL

Kittypaws 08-25-2005 05:33 PM

I think I will be "bowtarded" til the cows come home! When it comes to bow tying, I have always had all thumbs. My bows all list to one side. I think I'll stick with brads....sigh

CuttersCallous 08-25-2005 09:32 PM

Thank you, thank you for posting this....and for the instructions. My bows will be much better now. Happy stamper here!! :)

Kheila Kirwan 08-25-2005 10:15 PM

I have tons of ribbon and am always trying to think of ways to use it instead of tying a bow. Thanks for all the sites and hints. Mine should be looking much better now.

Kimzkardz 08-26-2005 05:12 PM

momsquiltn, thank you so very much. I too have been bowtarded up until tonight, August 25, 2005. I have had numerous people try to explain it to me in various ways, but your directions are so clear. I made a perfect bow on the very first try! Thanks so much!

momsquiltn 08-26-2005 08:33 PM

Aw.... shucks....

twarnt nothin but a few words that helped....
Truely, though, I'm tickled that a small paragraph could help so many.
May your bows always be straight and joyfully tied!!

DeborahB 01-21-2006 05:45 AM

OK, here's my bowtarded question: when I see a card with a ribbon going across the card, and a bow attached to it, is it just that? Two separate pieces? Or is the bow part of the ribbon running across? Because sometimes I see a ribbon across the card, then the bow has its own "tails". KWIM? And if it's attached, how? Just a glue dot? Tied on? So many questions, so much ribbon upstairs waiting!

nickelini 01-21-2006 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy S.
This is exactly what I was thinking! I can't figure out what that picture #2 is. The #2 directions go with pic #3! Anyway, with all of these great directions, I think I'll be making bows much easier now...thanks!

Oh good, it's not just me.

signed,

another bowtarded person (who sometimes gets it right)

nickelini 01-21-2006 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santakitty
"Martha's" directions I still can't follow but will try again when I've gotten my fingers untied. The other directions were great. Some time ago there were also directions for making the perfect bow & it's requires very little tying - here's the link - hope it works. Really does make a perfect bow.
http://www.mostlyanimals.com/kristalhtml/tips/bow1.htm
SantaKitty

Well, isn't THAT clever! I'll have to try it.

nickelini 01-21-2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeborahB
OK, here's my bowtarded question: when I see a card with a ribbon going across the card, and a bow attached to it, is it just that? Two separate pieces? Or is the bow part of the ribbon running across? Because sometimes I see a ribbon across the card, then the bow has its own "tails". KWIM? And if it's attached, how? Just a glue dot? Tied on? So many questions, so much ribbon upstairs waiting!

Well, I'll bet people do it different ways. What ever works, right? I have one example in my gallery where it's all one piece of ribbon. I had a bow diva coach me on this, and I'd have to be having a good day to attempt it again (being bowtarded). So, in this example, it's all one piece:

http:////www.splitcoaststampers.com/...00&ppuser=8613

Hope that helps. If not, post a link to an example of your question.

Jodemart 03-25-2007 07:39 PM

Your directions were the best over all the other explanations I saw tonight. Thank You!!

afancycat 02-08-2009 10:21 AM

For anyone that bought the Bow-Easy plastic template...there is a set of picture instructions at www.morningstarstamps.com. I am not associated with them but bought one of the templates from them and found the pictures at their website under 'accessories.'

Hope this helps!

JulieHRR 02-08-2009 10:43 AM

2 things that got me laffin':
  1. The title of this thread; that is hysterically priceless and I missed it the first time around!
  2. This thread resurfaced after 2 years of dormancy!
:mrgreen:

momis mama 02-08-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR (Post 13047575)
2 things that got me laffin':
  1. The title of this thread; that is hysterically priceless and I missed it the first time around!
  2. This thread resurfaced after 2 years of dormancy!
:mrgreen:

<----- agrees!

too funny!

the links don't work for me and i am bow challenged...

anyone have a current link?

TIA

adobson 02-08-2009 03:27 PM

Dear Bowtarded,

Many of us have the same bow-tying ignorance as you have described. Help is available...search Martha Stewart's website and the results will be plentiful.

I haven't giggled this much in a long time. The next time I scrap with my friends, may I use your catch phrase?!!! It will crack them up!