Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Question Blotchy ink pads???

I'm starting to have a problem with my SU ink pads stamping blotchy. They're not too bad on detail stamps, but more solid stamps look horrible!! I store them upside down, and always have. They don't appear to be needing to be reinked. Any suggestions?
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

When you say you store them upside down, what do you mean. The current style of SU pads is designed so that you store them right side UP (because the pad actually flips over and is then stored down). I've had the same set of ink pads for quite some time and so far so good.

However, I've always found that Classic (dye) ink does not cover nearly as well on solid stamps as Craft (pigment) ink. I almost always use craft for my solid images.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Try reinking...perhaps they are drying out unevenly for some reason?
Old 09-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Are the stamps themselves new? The solid surface stamps can take a bit to become seasoned.

Old 09-10-2006, 01:00 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
I'm starting to have a problem with my SU ink pads stamping blotchy. They're not too bad on detail stamps, but more solid stamps look horrible!! I store them upside down, and always have. They don't appear to be needing to be reinked. Any suggestions?
I would say that a blotchy pad would need to be reinked... if you have the old style pads then they DEFINITELY need re-inking. I reink my pads a few times a year! Dye ink does evaporate over time....

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I have both old and new style pads, and store them so that the ink is down. I'll try reinking. Thanks.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:03 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11
Are the stamps themselves new? The solid surface stamps can take a bit to become seasoned.
This could definitely be a possibility, as Val says!

You might need to (gently) rough up the surface of your solid stamps, if they're brand new--the release agent from the vulcanizing process sometimes leaves a residue that repels dye inks.

With brand new solid stamps, I rub the surface of the rubber against my jeans, and then actually clean them against my scrub prior to first use. That usually resolves the "blotchy" issues.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:05 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Try "erasing" on the solid stamp to rough it up a little, and it might pick up the ink a little better. My bashful blue does what you're describing, but once I erase a little it helps a ton!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Totally not new stamps. I'm concerned because it's happening to so many of my ink pads. My craft room is warmer than the rest of the upstairs, so even though I keep the blinds closed, I bet they're drying out. Sigh.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:22 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

You're so not gonna believe this, but one stamper I read about in a magazine actually keeps her ink pads in the refrigerator. Says it keeps 'em hydrated and performing beautifully.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:36 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

This is my first post here, but I had to say something. I've had the same problem and I've had my ink pad less than 3 months. This happens with classic pads and spots of no particular color on my more solid style stamps. I brought it up to my demo and she thought reinking too, but knew how new my inks are and was puzzled by it. I also tried seasoning the stamps, (rub on jeans, used an eraser and eventually lightly sanded them). No luck. To make matters worse, my friend who just got her new ink yesterday had the same problem.

I've seen a few other posts about this in the past (leading me to seasoning). I think SU may have a real problem with there ink. I'll ask my demo to inquire.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I just last month filled in my dye ink pad collection by buying 30 more pads. I found right away out of the first five I used they were not only blotchy but three of them were sunken in the middle. I emailed SU and they had nerve enough to say they had never had any complaints...after I read tons of them on these forums. I don't see any point in sending them back since they are all the same...but I'm not happy.
Margaret
Old 09-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #13  
Embossing Fanatic

I wondered if and when this would come up. About 3 weeks ago, my friend got 14 SU classic ink pads. She is having the same problem and they are visibily sunken even before use. She got the same response from SU. Inking did nothing.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:13 PM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
You're so not gonna believe this, but one stamper I read about in a magazine actually keeps her ink pads in the refrigerator. Says it keeps 'em hydrated and performing beautifully.

Boy, no late night snackin without the peepers on! Plus, I can only imagine Jay's expression if I were to do that! I remember leaving a cracked glass piece on top of the ice cream one night and that brought out the rolled eyes!

Old 09-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Wilburn
I just last month filled in my dye ink pad collection by buying 30 more pads. I found right away out of the first five I used they were not only blotchy but three of them were sunken in the middle. I emailed SU and they had nerve enough to say they had never had any complaints...after I read tons of them on these forums. I don't see any point in sending them back since they are all the same...but I'm not happy.
Margaret
Hate to say it, but I got the same response from SU in 2005. I've always had excellent CS from them except for my ink pads. *Sigh*
Old 09-10-2006, 05:20 PM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR

There would be absolutley no room for food in my fridge!! Hmmm.... I think DH would have a cow if I bought a mini fridge for my stamp room. Add that to the new Tonic Cutter, OTT Lite, CHF backgrounders and more that all arrived this week and you just might be reading my Obit!!
Old 09-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Default me two

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevlewis
I wondered if and when this would come up. About 3 weeks ago, my friend got 14 SU classic ink pads. She is having the same problem and they are visibily sunken even before use. She got the same response from SU. Inking did nothing.
Oh, count me in!!! I haven't been happy with my ink pads - both classic and craft for quite awhile now. Finally thought, after being here on SCS for a year and checking with my great demo that I was ready to try again and bought two classic ink pads; Cranberry Crisp and Cool Caribbean. My problem, I thought, was that my ink pads were not juicy enough.

The CCrisp is great. The Cool is, pardon the pun; not so cool. I have even used half a bottle of reinker and it is still blotchy, sunken in the middle. I do however use a brayer to get ink to cover my BGs and that's fine - but anything else is not doing well. The newer craft pads purchased right after the change over and the old retired colors have fare much better than the newer colors. I also, live in a warmer climate.

Just gave away my mini fridg to my DH for his office. hmmmmmm I am glad that I am not the only one.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not calling anyone a liar of course.

I bought a few ink pads when I first started stamping, and loved them. I ended up getting all 4 color families, and everyone is great. There was a little dip in a couple, but the dips were worked out with just general use. Over the past 2 months I've ordered 3 of the ink colors in 3 seperate orders, and all have been great. Just sharing my experience that not all of them are bad.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:44 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

sorry, that was supposed to say in colors, not ink colors.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

I own all the inks.. in all the colors... sold MANY inks (I sell a fairly high volume) and I have never had a personal problem or a customer complaint over a standard size classic or craft ink pad.

My suggestion would be to contact your demo or SU if you are unhappy with a product you have purchased. As with any company if you speak to an individual who does not respond appropriately to your customer complaint I would ask to speak to a supervisor. I have never had a product complaint not responded to immediately and with absolute professionalism and resolve.

Old 09-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiraj
I'm not calling anyone a liar of course.

I bought a few ink pads when I first started stamping, and loved them. I ended up getting all 4 color families, and everyone is great. There was a little dip in a couple, but the dips were worked out with just general use. Over the past 2 months I've ordered 3 of the ink colors in 3 seperate orders, and all have been great. Just sharing my experience that not all of them are bad.

When you had one with a dip; did you just use it as is or did you reink right away? I got a black craft ink pad that was so juicy - my stamp could slide over the surface...the cover was all black on the inside. Then, I traded for a vanilla pad here on SCS and it was shrink wrapped but some clear liquid seeped out of the pad and the result was a vanilla pad with no color except on the sponge itself. I have to order refill ink to see how to fix it. Counting the neutral colors and retired colors I have a total of about 100 SU pads classic and craft and more than one in four are like that. Ditto with some of the craft ink spots from last winter's sale.

On the other hand, I purchased craft ink refills that came to me from WI in January and they were cold even after a day sitting on my craft table. I just this month wanted to reink a dry Pixie Pink cpad I received and the ink refill had separated - so much so that all the shaking in the world didn't help. The tip finally was pulled out and at the suggestion from someone on another thread here on SCS - I'm just spreading it over like butter. However, it is liquid with and chunky pieces that resemble melted crayons that I am working with.

So, if you don't mind - could you let me know how often you find you have to reink the colors you use the most and what area of the US you live in - or rather, how cold it get there in the summer?

TIA,
:ynn
Old 09-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by staramaze
I own all the inks.. in all the colors... sold MANY inks (I sell a fairly high volume) and I have never had a personal problem or a customer complaint over a standard size classic or craft ink pad.

My suggestion would be to contact your demo or SU if you are unhappy with a product you have purchased. As with any company if you speak to an individual who does not respond appropriately to your customer complaint I would ask to speak to a supervisor. I have never had a product complaint not responded to immediately and with absolute professionalism and resolve.
The posters above gave me the impression that they are demos. That is my reason for sharing now. I did let the people I purchased from know and have been following their advice about shaking the reinkers, etc. I am just happy to see that there are others with the same problem as this newbie stamper...with regards to product purchased but not used until months later, I wouldn't expect anything from the company. If Margaret is a demo, she has found herself not receiving the kind of treatment from the company that she is used to.

I am happy to see this thread and will be better at communicating with my demo that next time this happens.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:35 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

I'm not a demo, and when I told my demo about it, she just shrugged and told me to contact SU myself...

See why I have a new demo!!?? LOVE my new demo. I did have a different issue, contacted SU, was told to pass the info along to my demo for replacement, so I did and she was like "sweetie, if you want to contact them yourself, I'm okay with that, but I can do it for you!" My response was "Oh, yeah - THIS is what a good demo is!!"

I do want to make clear that I am in no way (and I don't think others are either) trying to bash SU in any way. I just am not happy with some of my ink pads. I guess I have higher expectations. I expect my ink pads to be smooth and easily ink an image on the first try. While they said the "dent" and uneven surface of the pad doesn't affect its usability, it just irks me that I have to stamp, stamp, stamp, stamp, twist, twist, twist, stamp, stamp to get an image inked.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #24  
Crimping Master

Oh Barbara - you took the words right out of my mouth! Because I am reading and learning more than I am putting ink to paper, I thought reinking was the key to solve all my problems. Very early on, I read about the residue on new stamps and STILL has problems with a few ink pads. I ljust cross my fingers anytime I open the pads and have a ball stamping on the brown wrapping that SU uses to pack the items with TLC. I'm just pleased as punch to know I am not the only one.

And, yes, the best thing about SU for me, is my demo!
Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I, too, miss the edit button. ...and am ashamed to admit that in my better days I was called a secretary. No laptops then tho. lol
Old 09-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

All my ink pads have divets in the middles but they are a few years old and have been reinked. It is a crapshoot whether or not I'll get a clear image unless I drag the stamps over the pad like you are not supposed to do esp. with background stamps. The 3 new ones I got in July are fine for what it's worth.....