Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Red face Blogging Celeberties

please forgive me i dont want to make animies here but wondered if anybody feels the same way....

this is working in me a while now but reading recently joannb's blog about how a blogger feels if they dont get response on what they made or write, made me see the other side too.

anyhow... i am trying to leave each day at least 5 comments on cards in the gallerie. when i post my comment i usually overread quick what other people write but i really barely notice that any of the let's say my "stampin idols" post a comment.

i wonder if any of the blogging 100 realizes how much it means for a regular stamper to see a comment from them on a card we have made specially when the card got maybe inspired or made after a tutorial seen on the blog. i remember when i had a comment from waxyo or rohla on one of my cards i freaked out! it made seriously my day.

this blogging now seams all about how many hits you get and how many readers you get to your blog.
there are also just very few bloggers who take the time, if you ask a question that they get back to you with an ansewer. (iam not talking about a post on a thread with 200 or 300 replies because of a blog candy) i was sometimes the only person who posted a compliment with a question and i dont get a reply.

i must say its a bit fustrating.

so i noticed since weeks that i just stop posting comments on some of the blogs. there are not many blogs anymore i take my time on loggin in to google and post something.

thanks for reading your still
"blog-reading" claudia

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClaudiafromGermany
please forgive me i dont want to make animies here but wondered if anybody feels the same way....

this is working in me a while now but reading recently joannb's blog about how a blogger feels if they dont get response on what they made or write, made me see the other side too.

anyhow... i am trying to leave each day at least 5 comments on cards in the gallerie. when i post my comment i usually overread quick what other people write but i really barely notice that any of the let's say my "stampin idols" post a comment.

i wonder if any of the blogging 100 realizes how much it means for a regular stamper to see a comment from them on a card we have made specially when the card got maybe inspired or made after a tutorial seen on the blog. i remember when i had a comment from waxyo or rohla on one of my cards i freaked out! it made seriously my day.

this blogging now seams all about how many hits you get and how many readers you get to your blog.
there are also just very few bloggers who take the time, if you ask a question that they get back to you with an ansewer. (iam not talking about a post on a thread with 200 or 300 replies because of a blog candy) i was sometimes the only person who posted a compliment with a question and i dont get a reply.

i must say its a bit fustrating.

so i noticed since weeks that i just stop posting comments on some of the blogs. there are not many blogs anymore i take my time on loggin in to google and post something.

thanks for reading your still
"blog-reading" claudia
Claudia,
Thank you for taking the time to post this comment. I think that you have made a good point. Several times, one of the "rock star" stampers have posted kind comments on my gallery and on my blog and I am always blown away by that. It really does feel like royalty stopped by to give me a nod of approval.

But that being said, I do know that many of those power house bloggers really spend tons of time creating tutorials, fabulous samples and they spend time researching and directing us to other blogs that have great educational subjects and giveaways.

I think that it is a very time-consuming commitment and maybe with their limited time, they can't always find the extra time to post comments on the beautiful creations that are posted here in the gallery.

But I totally understand what you mean because nothing feels as good as when someone you respect comments on something you have done.

I spend a lot of time commenting on blogs. Not as much time commenting here on the gallery. I should try harder to do that. I have found that some people show a lot of class and will go back and check out my blog or gallery after I have posted something on theirs. They will post a quick comment to let me know that they have stopped by, and yes, that is so enjoyable. Others, I have posted tons of comments on their blogs and they never so much as step foot outside of the regular circle of cyber friends. That's okay. Some people have enough friends, I guess. <--- JOKING!! LOL!

But, your post has motivated me to at least try to visit those who visit me and let them know that I appreciated the fact that they are sharing their talent with the rest of us. I, for one, can never have too many friends. LOL!

Gina K.

Be polite to those who are rude to you. Not because they are nice, but because you are.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:13 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

thank you gina,
i was actually quite frightened to post this.

just right now... i thought i should have mentioned that i really do appreciate my most favorite every morning free stampin newspaper right to my computer.

i really do appreciate the time.

as you mentioned it seems a thing just under the bloggin scs club.

it would be nice if the blogger spents some time to just overread really quick the stuff that gets posted on their blog. -specially if it is regarding a project.

i had the other day such a "sweet" (hi alora) pm in my mail box. she came back to me after 1 one week or so after i had posted a question how she made somehting. how aswesome is this???? thank you again

My SCS Gallery
My blog
Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Claudia, this is an excellent topic to bring to the forefront!! Thank you for encouraging kindness.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Hi Claudia..i too try to go into the gallery and comment on at least 6-7 cards a day....and especially on the ones i find so pretty with..like 80 veiws and no comments?? i feel that there are a lot of group friends here..and they will only go into those certain ones cards..that's very nice..please don't get me wrong..but as newbies..we are amazed at all the beautiful cards and inspirations we get from them..I don do blogs much as i just don have to the time to go thru all of them..i know they do lovely jobs and have put a lot of work into them..but i'd rather be in the gallery..When i get a pm about a comment on 1 of my cards..it's very exciting..as newbies we try to learn, as i have here since i joined..i'm overwhelmed by the techniques and beautiful cards.....i have received so much help from those i have pm'd bout techniques or instructions on their cards..please keep supporting us newbies..we love the comments too..ty for your listening time..loves ya all..Gail

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

If I pull up a card I comment. I feel its the right thing to do. Even if my comment is generic, its better than nothing. I sometimes just think wow thats cute. People complain about that too. You just can't win.
I hate when I have 60 people "favorite" and 10 comments. Or someone PMs me but doesnt comment in my gallery. Im still nice an d help it just doesnt make sense to me.
As far as questions/answers
If you have a question I feel its best to send a PM to the person. If people get "busy" they often forget to get back to you. It may not be they are ignoring you at all. Sometimes people post a question on my cards, and it gets lost in the shuffle. Im home with 3 kids, so if a fight breaks out I am off and runnin, and thier "question" is long forgotten.
I always respond to pm's. Its just easier. You may want to try that approach.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:28 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Location: My wife is a secret sister..I can not divulge that imformation.

I've seen how much time i spend doing cards or blogging or posting here or or or...and I know how MUCH time my wife does doing the same and sometimes some questions from reader or others falls between the cracks , but we try to keep up with the questions and help eachother as we are all a part of a community here and should take care of eachother . i think post like comment thread really help to keep us from forgetting others...and I think similar threads do a lot of good.

just my thoughts
Jason
Old 03-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess I'm on a soap box on this topic, and apologize if I am beating this topic to death, but...

I want to clarify my post that I called Stamper's Neurosis, which ran on my blog a week or so ago. I have a problem wanting validation to the point that it is ruining my ability to enjoy stamping and admitted it.

Please don't misunderstand -- I think it is human nature to want that validation, but it can go to the extreme and cause otherwise normal people to really lose perspective!! If folks like my stuff, fine. If not, they can go elsewhere. Every once in a while I make something that I love. That's enough for me.

I received dozens of private messages and emails as a result of that post. Some folks really resent the idea that there are "stars" on SCS and the blog world, and shy away from SCS or starting a blog.

And some very well known, talented stampers are feeling overwhelmed by the pressure to produce more and more work -- and they are the ones whose work is published and are on design teams. I had one very popular blogger write to me that she dreaded every day because she was afraid her readers would stop going to her blog if she didn't post a great card every single day. She realized that she was really ruining what used to be a source of pleasure.

What's the point in shying away from posting your work or working like a slave on your stuff if your self worth comes from receiving a lot of comments? Does it really mean all that much to get comments on your stuff or your blog? Isn't enjoying yourself, working on your skills, etc. what it is all about?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm just curious..am I the only one that doesn't have or doesn't even look at a blog?
Old 03-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
I'm just curious..am I the only one that doesn't have or doesn't even look at a blog?
Nope... What's a blog? Just kidding...but it's not my thing.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by mom5boys
Nope... What's a blog? Just kidding...but it's not my thing.
Thats funny....but,
I'm beginning to feel inadequate cause I don't have one!!!
Geez...I don't work or have any obligations and still wouldn't have time to have or read other peoples blogs. And would anyone really care what I had to say or think?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I am blog hopper. I was a blog hopper before I knew anyone here had a clog. For those who feel they will dissapoint their readers if they do not post everyday... You have life outside of your blog, people need to respect that. I would hate to see the great blogs I visit go away because they thought the readers won't come back because they were busy with real life stuff.
So HUGS to all you bloggers(which I have recently joined although I need to post some cards!) and if you do not want to post every single day then don't! Just don't dissapear because then we will worry and youw ill get a ton of messages and so on. hehe

On the gallery comments I will admit I do not comment on them all. I pull so many to view at a time that it gets overwhelming to leave a message everytime but I am going to be better at this because I should be! Thank you for bringing it up.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrothead
Thats funny....but,
I'm beginning to feel inadequate cause I don't have one!!!
Geez...I don't work or have any obligations and still wouldn't have time to have or read other peoples blogs. And would anyone really care what I had to say or think?
I care! And it's fine, if blogs are not for you, that's OK too. I keep my blog because I am a terrible diarist, so it's a challenge for me. I prefer my blog to my gallery, funnily enough.
My gallery on here was making me neurotic, I was becoming paralysed by fear of not living up to "Splitcoast", whereas my blog is for me. I don't know how many people visit it, I don't have counters or subscriptions and I feel a far greater sense of freedom on my blog.
Since I started it, it has made me think about why I craft and I felt the same as Joan did when I read her post on her blog about fear. My blog has really made me discover my love of cardmaking again and I am having fun with it. That's what I think blogs should be, fun and a chance to connect.
I also enjoy reading other people's blogs. There is a far greater sense of personality on a blog than in the gallery where there is just a list of ingredients and you don't really have the space to express yourself.
That doesn't mean to say I don't love the gallery, I do, I visit every week and try and leave as many comments as I can and it is one of the most unbelievable resources on the net for ideas.
Sorry, it's late over here in the UK and I am rambling, I'll shut up now!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

ALLY...I'll go check out your blog sometime tonite....I spend way too much time on SCS to have one myself. And I've never had a diary(when I'm dead and gone I don't want people reading my personal thoughts!!!).
Old 03-10-2007, 03:38 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

What's the point in shying away from posting your work or working like a slave on your stuff if your self worth comes from receiving a lot of comments? Does it really mean all that much to get comments on your stuff or your blog? Isn't enjoying yourself, working on your skills, etc. what it is all about?

for me it's not that it means if i don get comments at least on 1 or 2..well maybe 3or 4...hmm make that all of them..j/k..lol that i will stop stamping..but i keep going back to my cards..and thinking..maybe it needs more..or less..i am also the type of person who can take criticsism..bad or good..how will i learn otherwise?..yes comments are important to me to know that at least my card out of the thousands on here was noticed..but it's not my lifes work to dwell on the fact that if no-one commented it wud really break my heart..crack it a bit maybe..lol. We newbies are trying for that wonderful talent at card making that soooo many on here have....i don want to copy anyones style, stamp company fav. etc. i know what i like and what i want for myself..i just want to be as best as i can in it..and i do have faith in myself to do so..as i have always had faith in myself to do the best that i can in anything..ty for listening..loves ya all..Gail

When the world says give up, hope whispers, try one more time.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have a blog, but I love reading others. If I read a blog, I try to post a comment. I do the same here --if I like a card enough to click on it, I ALWAYS leave a comment. There must be a reason I liked it right?? So I always try to share what it is I like. Sometimes I don't even know.......like when I comment on one of Jeanne's.....or Julia's.....can you tell who I stalk......sometimes all I can say is "wow"!!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I have found that I always love certain types of cards, that are often made by the same stampers, however, I am ALWAYS getting great ideas from so many different cards, etc on this website. I know it must feel great to be one of those folks that gets "favorited" all the time but I get my inspiration from all the stampers here! I try to comment when I can, and I have recently tried to do more, but I just get the best feeling from creating something for someone that I know they'll enjoy, and regardless of how many comments it gets, i get the personal satisfaction of having created it for someone special in my life!
Wow, I'm rambling and off topic, must be because I just got home from a LONG car trip!
Sometimes my comments are quick and repeat what others have said, but then, if my first thought when I see a card is "adorable" shouldn't I say that even though a few other folks have already said it???
Old 03-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I try not to let stamping stress me out. I dont have enough time to stamp as it is, with a full time job and a busy seven year old. So when I get time to make a card, I make it, post it and although its nice to see someone comment, I try not to worry about it when people dont comment. I know life is busy and there are SO many people posting cards that we just cant comment on all of them. I find that when I am glancing through today's additions, I comment on the ones that catch my eye for some reason. I dont have time to look at them all, even though I'd like to. And its very seldom that I think to myself "oh, they should have done this, they should have done that" ... I usually think "hey, I like this person's style". As for blogging, I doubt I'll ever have my own, but I do love reading other people's blogs. And if someone hasnt posted anything on their blog in a few days, I'm okay with that ... I just go to some of the other ones that I read ... but I do come back the next day to check. I think this hobby should be enjoyable for everyone, for beginners, intermediates and our stamping heros!
Old 03-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Funny that I came across this post. I recently was thinking to myself that I need to start leaving more comments on the cards that I view and especially the cards that I save into my favorites. It's just a nice thing to do and I think it's part of being in this community on SCS, almost a responsibility really.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:01 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Claudia, I am so sorry are not getting responses to your questions. I feel if you (or any reader or gallery looker) are taking the time to comment and question, then the creator "should" take the time to respond. I try to respond to any and all questions both here and on my blog. But...(and I am not trying to make ANY excuses here) sometimes people leave comments on my blog and leave only a first name. If they entered an email address or a blog, I can link back to them...but if they don't, I have no way of contacting them... (I guess I could go back and leave a response to the question as a comment myself, but that is assuming the person will come back and read the entry at a later time...do people do this?) As far as leaving questions here, it is much easier to contact them...just click on their name and PM them...I try to comment back either in the comment section (if I get the same question more than once) AND I PM the person.

That being said, I know how much time I spend on my blog and on SCS...I do it for ME...I love to write (and talk about myself tee hee hee) and I really think I am forcing myself to improve my stamping...when it starts to become about the number of hits or the number of comments, I will stop. I know others who are far busier and I can't imagine how they do it all...

(okay, just read my response and I ramble...just want to say I am sorry people are not being polite and responding to you...If I am ever guilty of that, send me an email that bonks me over the head!)
Have a great night, set your clocks forward (groan!)

Old 03-10-2007, 08:43 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Im a Blog-hag! I love to check out lots of blogs. On dial up it takes forever to read everyones in my fvorites!! haha
BUT here is my question- I have tried to comment on some Blogs, and when I try to submit it, it says I need to have a google acct or a blog acct to post. So I came **this** close to signing up for one, but stopped cuz I couldnt think of a hip gnarly name for my blog, so I ended it. How do you post on people blogs if you dont have an acct yourself???
thanks!

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkalicious
Im a Blog-hag! I love to check out lots of blogs. On dial up it takes forever to read everyones in my fvorites!! haha
BUT here is my question- I have tried to comment on some Blogs, and when I try to submit it, it says I need to have a google acct or a blog acct to post. So I came **this** close to signing up for one, but stopped cuz I couldnt think of a hip gnarly name for my blog, so I ended it. How do you post on people blogs if you dont have an acct yourself???
thanks!
This is a great point... there is a SETTING for most bloggers; where they can opt to sellect WHO can comment on their blogs... and what restrictions there are... I keep mine open...allowing anyone to comment... but I think the problem is that many bloggers just don't know this... Like when people moderate their comments AND also require a code to be entered... it really doesn't make much sense... BUT many bloggers are still learning HOW their blogs work; and the "tricks of the trade" so-to-speak. I get frustrated sometimes too... bloggers with no emails, or not even a name posted... I think it will just take some people some time to figure these things out.

On the OTHER hand... a lot of people will leave a question for me... but won't leave their email! I try to indirectly respond to those questions by updating posts, or answering the question in a future post; or in the comment section itself... but I'm sure people often miss my answers. There is also a PROFILE setting in blogspot to choose to reveal your email or not... and some people have this set to hide thier email.... they THINK they are leaving their email, but they really are not.

I think the best way to ask a blogger a question is probably to email them directly. Most bloggers seem to get back to me pretty quickly!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:48 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Boy, am I out of the Blog loop. I can honestly say I have never visited a blog and don't really even know what one is! I spend enough time browsing the lovely stamp and user galleries here on SCS I can't imagine doing the same kind of browsing on blogs. How does one do both? I have 2 little ones running round and falling down, I am lucky to squeek out a card a day! LOL!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 PM   #24  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

thanks
!

Can someone answer this for Tandra? I have NO CLUE how or why I have a "google account". That is how I sign in to my blog. I don't have any restrictions or those "secret decoder before you post" things. LOL I know how to post on my blog and that is about it. LOL

She asked me for help and I did answer her question, but not with an answer. LOL TIA!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:23 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you have a Blog at Blogspot you automatically have a google account...they are together kwim? weather it was that way when you started or not it is now.

My blog is on Blogspot like many others and when you click to leave a comment you should have 3 choices...log in with your Google/bloger act. or other or Anonymous
if you do not have blog account or a google account you can choose anonymous and leave you SCS name or real name in your post..clear as mud?

Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
She realized that she was really ruining what used to be a source of pleasure.

It's a funny thing this SCS. I, like many others, came to this site for ideas and to look at SU! stamps and cards. then i got sucked into the vortex of NEEDING comments, and i started to wonder why I was stamping?? was i making cards for the comments, or for me?? as soon as i started making them for me i started to love this site more and more. i do challenges when i can, and i try to stay out of all the political stuff that sometimes happens here... anyhoo.. back to blogs. i think that FOR ME, having a blog would be like highschool all over again. "Why didn't she post a comment on my blog? How come they didn't list my blog as a favorite place to go? What blog candy can i give away so people will read my blog??" like, i don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole. don't get me wrong.. when i have spare time i read my fav blogs, but i have never thought to myself "why doesn't she have a cool project?? or man, those cards are lame..." If you have enough talent, time and energy to make a blog, power to ya! i feel bad for those people that feel they need to keep their blogs flashy, and exciting so people will keep coming back.. i THINK (and it's kind of my personal mantra) that if you are doing what you love, and you're putting honest-to-goodness heart into your craft, people will be attracted to it.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Choose an identity

Google/Blogger
Other
Anonymous

like so, just choose the anonymous option

Old 03-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oops. I did ignore Claudia's original point, didn't I? Sorry about that!!

Sometimes I get questions on my blog. There is no way to answer each question on the blog without doing a post just for answering questions as most folks don't leave contact info. And sometimes I forget to do that. The OP is correct. If I blog, I should always take the time to answer questions.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
Oops. I did ignore Claudia's original point, didn't I? Sorry about that!!

Sometimes I get questions on my blog. There is no way to answer each question on the blog without doing a post just for answering questions as most folks don't leave contact info. And sometimes I forget to do that. The OP is correct. If I blog, I should always take the time to answer questions.
I do agree with this - however I'm taking it one step further in saying that **I** think it is unfair for ppl to EXPECT or DEMAND that their questions be answered (and I know I'm prolly gonna get flamed for this post but I can't keep my mouth shut anymore!!).

I try really hard to answer all the questions and whatnot that are asked of me - I get dozens of e-mails a day (and I mean dozens and not all are directly related to my blog/gallery etc etc) as well as comments on my blog and PM's here and on other forums I frequent. I have said time and time again that I read every single e-mail/comment/PM I get and I DO.

That said it takes TIME to answer everything - and at the same time I DO miss things - I AM human and it's hard to remember every single thing even tho I don't mean to. A lot of times I try to answer several questions at once by doing a post on my blog b/c answering every e-mail can sometimes take hours of my time (and having a family and a life outside stamping I can't spend 24/7 on my computer). I feel bad when I miss something or forget to answer someone's questions/e-mails etc - but a gentle reminder from the person is usually all it takes!

I'm saying all this b/c I have had a few instances where I was flamed by ppl b/c I never responded in what THEY thought was a reasonable time-frame to their questions (and EVERY single time it had been less than 24 hours - I know b/c I went back and checked b/c I was so upset) and was called some rather hurtful things.

I have also been accused of "deleting comments" on my blog b/c I "obviously didn't care" about the person and the questions answered of me. Well I can say w/ 100% certainty that I've never deleted comments (I only delete duplicates or spam/type comments - the rest stay right there).

I DO try to leave comments on the cards I view in the gallery on here AND the couple of other online galleries I frequent, as well as on the blogs I read - but I PERSONALLY find it rude to expect ANY "celebrity" stamper/blogger/whoever to HAVE to comment constantly on *anything*. Yes I do get a real thrill when a stamper **I** admire (and not all of them are "celebrities" - some are just regular-joes (like me!!) that I think have wonderful talent and I want to be them when I grow up!!) posts a comment on my gallery/blog - but at the same time I appreciate every iota of feeback I recieve - I don't care who it is from.

And FYI I did send a heartfelt apology (and you know who you are) to the person who sent me a rather hurtful PM not too long ago b/c I didn't answer their PM w/in 24 hours and was accused of "not caring" etc etc etc. I requested a read-receipt for the apology I sent and it was never acknowledged - and it was hard - but I had to let it go. I can't let things like that eat away at me anymore - I have learned that you can't please everybody!!

I hope this doesn't make me sound rude/ungrateful/whatever (I'm not like Joan or Julie HRR or any of those who can express themselves oh-so-well!!) b/c I AM grateful for all the ppl who visit my blog/gallery and really enjoy all the commetns/e-mails and PMs I get. I've met SO many wonderful people b/c of it!!! I just *wish* I had more TIME to spend on the computer so that I could get back to everyone in a timely manner - but having a husband, small children, a home and countless other things that come FIRST it's just not feasable!!

I blog and upload to the gallery b/c I love to share my creation w/ others (and blab off on them!!! LOL) and if I help others along the way I see that as a bonus. I can admit that I WAS at one point caught up in all the hooplah of seeing how many comments I would get or how many hits I got on my blog - but I decided some time ago that for ME - it doesn't really matter in the bigger scheme of things. I HAVE noticed that some ppl (like the person I mentioned above who sent me the PM) have sinced stopped commenting regularily on my gallery/blog - but I no longer consider that an "issue".

I realize that not everyone has the time to comment on everything (like me they have lives outside of stamping!!) and on the occasions where I get very few or even NO comments on things - I don't care!! I do what I do for ME as it's something I love - and as I said above you can't please everybody (tho I try as I'm a people-pleaser by nature!!).

OK OK OK I'm done now - I'm sure a lot of what I said was unnecessary but I felt I HAD to say something - *puts on flame retardent underwear*
Old 03-11-2007, 03:12 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Just chiming in here to say that I love to read blogs and I've never expected a response to my comments, but have been pleasantly surprised when some bloggers have emailed me back just to comment back or answer a question, etc.

Obviously, some of the more well-known bloggers get LOTS of questions, so to expect them to respond to all of them personally would be asking a bit much.

I just make sure to go back to that blog and see if they put up a new post that answers some of those questions. Very often, I'm not the only one with that question, so the blogger answers the question in the new post.

Vera
Old 03-11-2007, 05:41 AM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Oh dear...I'm a comment junkie!I love comments!

I'm addicted to external validation and always have been. I love it when people make comments on my blog or in my gallery and I do try to answer questions...but the best way to ask them is directly, because I don't always remember to get back on comments, but an email or PM will usually get an answer from me...though sometimes, I do forget. I read the PM and I think, "Oh, [email protected], it's time to go to the chiropractor! I'll get back to this when I come home" then my swiss cheese brain allows the knowledge of the PM to fall into one of the holes and I forget all about it! Just PM me again...I don't bite, but my brain is full of holes!

I like to provide at least two posts a week, but sometimes life does get in the way. So far, no one really complains (well, there is Dawn, but I can handle HER ) If I notice the comments falling off, I don't blame the people reading the blog, though...I just figure I must be losing my touch! People don't like me anymore! I will have to do something really spectacular in my next post! I feel really responsible for providing something worth reading. Otherwise, why would you want to visit?

As far as the gallery goes...well, I don't comment a lot because I don't spend much time looking at other people's stuff. Occasionally I'll go in, especially if you CASEd one of my cards and want me to look, then I'll be happy to. Otherwise, I find that looking at a lot of samples really kills my creativity. I end up on overload and I can't come up with my own unique (hopefully) twist on a set. I might look if I'm really stuck for ideas (but usually not.) I sometimes look because I just uploaded my own card to a set gallery and I see another card in the lineup under my card that intrigues me (and then it's almost always leslierich's card...I *love* her stuff and it draws me like a magnet!!!) so I'll look. Otherwise...not so much. I don't even look at the fan club gallery when it comes out. When I do look, I try to comment.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Old 03-11-2007, 06:09 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I love comments. I'm less addicted to comments now than I used to be. I visit blogs if I have time. I have a blog, but it's been neglected for over a month now - sad, eh? If I see there are lots of comments on a blog or in the gallery, I stop, oggle andleave without commenting. I try to leave comments in the gallery. SCS and blogs have helped me raise the bar for me. My bar of accomplisment is different from everyone else's. Sometimes I ask questions - problem is I forget I ask, so when/if I get a response, it's like "I'm glad they remembered, because I didn't!"

It's my happy place to not have a single expectation of anyone but me. The older I get, the more forgetful I'm becoming and funny thing is, the happier I get. If I've had a burning question that hasn't been dealt with, I ask the question again a few days later, politely. Usually, I forget.

I've improved enough that a magazine has asked me to submit work for publication. I haven't forgotten that. I should blog it, but I go to bed at night and realize, I forgot again today. Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

Old 03-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

ok - just checked, my blog has been neglected for 2 months. gotta do something about that!

Old 03-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

thanks!
I know the exact reason why many blogs require signing in to post a comment. I used to have open comments where anyone could post. But recently I added Type Key authentication to my blog and it was for one reason only. Spam comments. I was getting up to 56 comments in under 5 minutes, all from spam-bots posting ridiculous comments. The only way to combat this was to require people to have Type Key accounts.

I feared this would discourage comments, but have since realized that if people truly want to comment, they will sign up with Type Key. If not, no problem.

Back to original post, I have always tried to reply to all comments whether it be email, here at SCS, or on my blog. I know sometimes things get crazy and it takes time to respond, but I would never want the commenter to feel forgotten or not appreciated.

I remember a few months back I emailed Ali Edwards with a suggestion for her newsletter. I didn't get a response right away, but about a month later I did get a nice email saying that she'd received my idea and it was added to her list of newletter ideas. Now, I KNOW Ali gets hundreds of emails per day, and for her to email me back was not even expected. But it sure was appreciated.

Kristina
Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by starofmay
I know the exact reason why many blogs require signing in to post a comment. I used to have open comments where anyone could post. But recently I added Type Key authentication to my blog and it was for one reason only. Spam comments. I was getting up to 56 comments in under 5 minutes, all from spam-bots posting ridiculous comments. The only way to combat this was to require people to have Type Key accounts.

I feared this would discourage comments, but have since realized that if people truly want to comment, they will sign up with Type Key. If not, no problem.

Back to original post, I have always tried to reply to all comments whether it be email, here at SCS, or on my blog. I know sometimes things get crazy and it takes time to respond, but I would never want the commenter to feel forgotten or not appreciated.

I remember a few months back I emailed Ali Edwards with a suggestion for her newsletter. I didn't get a response right away, but about a month later I did get a nice email saying that she'd received my idea and it was added to her list of newletter ideas. Now, I KNOW Ali gets hundreds of emails per day, and for her to email me back was not even expected. But it sure was appreciated.

Kristina
not to high-jack this thread, but i just checked out your blog and i LOVE IT!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobi
not to high-jack this thread, but i just checked out your blog and i LOVE IT!
Thanks, jazzytobi!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

THANKS for answering my question!! I guess I need to sign up!!
Now if I could just think of a FAB blog name.....lol

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Team Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

I am sorry to admit that I haven't been commenting as much in the gallery as I should.

I am working at least three hours (mostly more) a day on SCS; including weekends. I answering questions, add people to the demo user forum, get the coming newsletter ready and write the occasional tutorial or making sure next weeks tutorial is covered....

When I am done, I really want to stamp and not look through the gallery. Like JanTink says...looking at too many samples really saps my creativity as well. Then I think...well this has been done, that has been done, and I end up not stamping.

Since I have starting working on the challenges, I try to at least look at the other entries of the challenge.

Whem I get a private message with a question, I do try to answer it right away.

Since I started to blog a little while ago, I am having so much fun creating again. I am glad I started a blog. I do try to answer the questions posted on my blog as well.

I read all comments made to my cards on the gallery and on the blog as well as on my tutorials. If I ever miss a question, just pm me.

my gallery - my blog
Old 03-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

hello beate,
i did not mean you!
you always helped me and got back to me. thats actually why i still leave posts on your blog.
you rock!
thanks
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beate
I am sorry to admit that I haven't been commenting as much in the gallery as I should.

I am working at least three hours (mostly more) a day on SCS; including weekends. I answering questions, add people to the demo user forum, get the coming newsletter ready and write the occasional tutorial or making sure next weeks tutorial is covered....

When I am done, I really want to stamp and not look through the gallery. Like JanTink says...looking at too many samples really saps my creativity as well. Then I think...well this has been done, that has been done, and I end up not stamping.

Since I have starting working on the challenges, I try to at least look at the other entries of the challenge.

Whem I get a private message with a question, I do try to answer it right away.

Since I started to blog a little while ago, I am having so much fun creating again. I am glad I started a blog. I do try to answer the questions posted on my blog as well.

I read all comments made to my cards on the gallery and on the blog as well as on my tutorials. If I ever miss a question, just pm me.

My SCS Gallery
My blog
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

well... i went through all the replies....
thank you!

hmmm... some really good input there.
that all beeing said i guess, its not such a bad idea just to post questions here on the board.

we are all human, and reading amyr reply made see once again like joanns other side of the pond.

My SCS Gallery
My blog