Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2006, 08:58 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Birthday Verses - how many is enough?

I probably send more Birthday cards than any other type of card (except Christmas) but I am working on trying to send more of other types (Thank You, Get Well etc).

Currently I have only one verse set (CTMH 4 verses - Best Wishes, Birthday, Friend, Thank You) as well as Greeting For All Reasons and Nice & Easy Notes for the actual sentiments. I find it a little limiting to always use the same verse inside the card, so I am placing an order for Curvy Verses.

My question is whether this will give me enough versatility on Birthday cards or whether I should also buy Its Your Birthday?

So for those of you with multiple birthday verses, how many do you really use? Do you use the same ones over and over? If you own Its Your Birthday and other sets like Curvy Verses, do you find you use IYB a lot?

Thanks,

Marina
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Just wanted to say that I do have a number of verse stamps, but I also use my computer quite a bit. I have a copy of the "Current" catalog handy, and will sometimes use sayings from those. There are also tons of free sites that offer nice sayings, and you can even find free fonts to really coordinate them with your images.

In other words, get creative with what you have
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Old 07-20-2006, 09:34 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have several birthday greetings (thank you, too, for that matter) in various sizes, shapes and phrases. The reason is, simply put, one size really does not fit all. One particular stamp may not fit the style, layout, design of the card, while another will be perfect. I've actually gone on a shopping mission to find the "right fit" for a particular card.

All that aside, you should really do only what fits your budget, space, style, etc.

Lisa
Old 07-20-2006, 11:49 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOTS and LOTS is probably enough, lol. Seriously, if you send a lot, then it's just the pits to use the same ones over and over and over. Sometimes having the same words only in a different font can make a huge difference in the overall "feel" of the card, kwim?

Personally I LOVE It's Your Birthday, even though I made it a point to buy the retired birthday set right before it went as well. I don't think you really can have "too many." Plus, with the It's Your Birthday, there are some in it that can be used for other than just birthday...
Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 PM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

I have Curvy Verses and IYB, and I love them both. But I am finding that I use IYB more than CV recently.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I need to still get curvey verses.I love them.Right now I only have the birthday greetings from 2 years ago catalog.not big with this years,I do have versatile verses.which I think has a verse from that set.I definetlly need more verses.The only thing I wish SU had was a family set whoich they don't I wish I could make my cards more personal for a certain family memebr like a niece or nephew.father.mother,dad,cousin.

Tac has a family set that has all of this.grand parent.the only word TAC left out was GOD for GOD Parents.other than that thy do have a family set which I need to order.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Computer! Use it and save your money for the image stamps. I usually print my verses and mount on coordinating colored mat then mount on the inside of the card. You are unlimited and there are thousands of cool fonts to make your verses look nice.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm with Trish. I use catalogs or poems on websites to include in my cards. I have a collection of quotes & sayings that I use and I also use the ones that are at the end of the Cardmaker magazines.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:41 PM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Never enough.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never have enough of any kind of stamp! I love having choices - my biggest problem is finding them when I want them!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with those who say to use a computer, for at least some of the verses. I do that so I can save money and space for image stamps. For me it is easier to vary the font and the "shape" of the greeting with the computer.

My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 07-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I think I own - well - LOTS of them - LOL! But I also use the computer to generate humours "stuff", special sayings etc. It allows me to really change it up when I need too.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Default Thanks for your responses

I went ahead and ordered IYB. I am actually trying to steer clear of the computer as it "robs" the fun out of the process for anything "crafty". I prefer to get my hands dirty with ink and glue...
Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

I know you aksed about SU stamps, but I have the birthday and season's greetings stamp sets by My Sentiments Exactly and lovelovelove them! You get so many different fonts and styles of birthday or seasonal wishes; I feel they are extremely versatile and a very good investment.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking It's redundant again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&cars
Computer! Use it and save your money for the image stamps. I usually print my verses and mount on coordinating colored mat then mount on the inside of the card. You are unlimited and there are thousands of cool fonts to make your verses look nice.
I like this idea. Although I have a couple of birthday verse stamps, it seems so boringly, tediously, tiresomely redundant to use the same ones over and over.
John 3:16
Old 07-21-2006, 03:19 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

Okay, here's how boring (and lazy) I am. I rarely put a verse inside my B-day cards unless there is a "between friends" funny that I *really* want to include. Then I use the computer for that saying. I've been stamping for years and came to the conclusion that I prefer spending the $ on images and I like writing my sentiment instead! The only time I use my very few b-day saying stamps is if I'm creating a card for someone don't know that well.

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 07-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

I have just recently been using the computer more and printing off lots of different verses. Since my sister takes my cards to her work and they buy, buy and buy, they were getting tired of the same verse over and over. I print lots of different ones (I use the current catalog, verse web sites, etc) and print them on white cardstock, using the "label" problem. I cut them and put them in small bags, keep them on my work table and they are ready to put into the card I want. I usually dress them up a little when I attach them. (ink or sponge the sides, layer or something like that)
Old 07-21-2006, 05:22 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waldsb651
I have just recently been using the computer more and printing off lots of different verses. ... I print lots of different ones (I use the current catalog, verse web sites, etc) and print them on white cardstock, using the "label" problem. I cut them and put them in small bags, keep them on my work table and they are ready to put into the card I want....
Thanks for that tip. I never thought to use my label program and make a stack at once! I see more b-day greetings inside my future cards!

Annette
http://stamponthis.com
Old 07-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

I love love love It's your Birthday...especially the one that says "Life is not a matter of counting years, It's a matter of making years count" - I use that verse all the time - not just on birthday cards but on just general cards and I have used it a couple times for Symphathy cards...
Old 07-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

I use a combination of a ton of stamps (can never have too many bday phrases) and the computer. If I'm in a hurry (usually last minute) then I'll grab one of my many sentiments. If it's a really unique, out of the box type of card for a very specific person, then I will have started thinking about the card long enough ahead of time that I can create a funny, unique saying on the computer for the card. Most of the time I like to be able to just grab a stamp, grab a color of ink and get the stamping job done. I have retired bday sets, the It's Your Birthday set (which I use a LOT!) plus lots of misc. bday sayings that I've picked up here and there. I prefer the just stamp and go cards when I can, because with the computer, I tend to be more anal and it takes me forever to get just the right font, right font size, get it centered just so, etc. Too much time and aggrevation.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:03 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I use IYB all the time. I also have Birthday Greetings which IYB replaced, which I use also.

Before I had those two I used Sayings and Such which had a birthday greeting.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?