Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2018, 05:47 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best Way - Image on Acetate

K, so I need to get some fairies on acetate. My first thought is Staz On, but I'm wondering - will Staz On (or its cleaner) harm my clear stamps? I don't mind staining, but I don't want to learn the hard way that those products might pit them or dissolve them or something.

-OR- Would it be better to stamp some images on paper then print them onto acetate? If this goes well, I'm hoping to do some of those clear ornaments with the stamped image "floating" inside.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I loathe, despise, and in all other ways HATE StazOn, so I substitute Ranger Archival instead. So far it's worked on everything I've tried. You could do a test run on a scrap and see how it does. The biggest issue that I foresee is the likelihood of sliding and smearing when you stamp. Just be careful to press straight down and lift straight up. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I loathe, despise, and in all other ways HATE StazOn, so I substitute Ranger Archival instead. So far it's worked on everything I've tried. You could do a test run on a scrap and see how it does. The biggest issue that I foresee is the likelihood of sliding and smearing when you stamp. Just be careful to press straight down and lift straight up. ;)

LOL! But how do you really feel about StazOn? Just kidding.

Honestly, thank you for the input. I have some Ranger Archival, and never had a problem with it on clear stamps. I've always thought StazOn was a pain to use b/c it has to have that special cleaner, and, IMO, Ranger products are top-notch.

So, any guess how long it will take to dry on acetate and will a MISTI help with the sliding and smearing?

TIA, appreciate ya, GG!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used StazOn. It is a pain, but it can be done without harming your stamps. You just need to use the cleaner right away and then wash your stamps with dish detergent and water right away. The cleaner has solvents that can break down your stamps. As long as you work quickly to wash the stamps after you stamp and use the cleaner, you should be okay.

Another option, besides Sue's suggestion of Ranger Archival, is to heat emboss the image on acetate. I haven't used it yet, but awhile back I bought some heat-resistant acetate/clear card stock.

Here's a link:
https://www.amazon.com/Judikins-Embo.../dp/B004IXSXTK

They have it at most of the big online craft stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2018, 09:05 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Just thought I would add...

StazOn often doesn't give a completely opaque impression on acetate. You may want to use a stamp positioner, if you go that route.

It is, however, very easy to "erase" your mistakes by just rubbing out your mistake with a little rubbing alcohol (I think?) or StazOn cleaner. Jennifer McGuire has a video somewhere showing how easy it is to clean off of acetate, and she shows what she uses to clean it up. I just can't remember right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Another ink that works fine on acetate is Brilliance. Being a pigment ink it will give a nice opaque impression too. Takes a while to dry and it is possible to scrape it off with a fingernail so it’s not a great choice for something that will get a lot of handling but for a piece going inside an ornament it would be just fine!

Using your MISTI would be a great way to ensure you don’t slide as you stamp, whatever ink you choose to use.

Have fun, hope the ornaments turn out great!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 01:28 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Elizabeth is right, Staz-on cleaner will remove mistakes from acetate, I've done it in the past. Like Sue, I really loathe Staz-on, and again, agree with Elizabeth, it never seems to give the best impression. If you've got any offcuts of acetate, it might be worth trying a few different inks you may have to see what does dry sufficiently to go inside the bauble. I'm just wondering how the Clairs would do, as the back of the package classes them as a pigment ink?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 10:42 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I'm just wondering how the Clairs would do, as the back of the package classes them as a pigment ink?

Great minds.... just wondering the same thing, and those i have in several colors. Ooooh... wheels are spinning.

Thx so much for suggesting pigments inks, all; I didn't realize that pigments would do the trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I think I'd go for buying digital images and printing them, so long as you have printable acetate. Otherwise, another vote for Brilliance working well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

If I can print digital, can't I stamp and copy onto the same acetate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 04:30 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
Great minds.... just wondering the same thing, and those i have in several colors. Ooooh... wheels are spinning.

Thx so much for suggesting pigments inks, all; I didn't realize that pigments would do the trick.

Not all of them will, Brilliane happens to be one that does. I’d be interested to know how the Clairs perform - if they have the same oil base as the “old” Versafine then I’m thinking they won’t dry on a slick surface like acetate. If someone tires it, post to let us know how it works out!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2018, 04:34 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
If I can print digital, can't I stamp and copy onto the same acetate?

Sure! I can see printing something like a sentiment to combine with a particular stamped image, for example. Be prepared to leave plenty or trimming space unless you are very good at printing exactly right for later stamping but I don’t see any other problems. If you are printing iponti inkjet acetate, I’ve always fepiund that the slight “tooth” it has makes stamping that but easier too - less slippery I guess!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2018, 04:29 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Superior brand India ink pad, found in the Memories line works on acetate. I too hate Stazon and have used the india ink pad instead several times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2018, 05:47 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I do not like Staz-on at all. I get the same, or actually better results from Memories inks. I may have to wait a bit longer for it to dry on acetate, but it stamps better, doesn't make the stamp stick to the acetate and cleans off better. It still stains, but comes pretty clean with EZ Duz It or Removez It cleaners which will not hurt your stamps of any kind.
Reply With Quote Likes