Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   General Stamping Talk (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/)
-   -   best way to apply glitter? (https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/general-stamping-talk-17/best-way-apply-glitter-15016/)

jrw25177 11-03-2004 04:55 AM

best way to apply glitter?

what is the best way to apply glitter?
2-way glue pen
liquid glue
heat and stick powder (how do you apply this?)

i was going to get some glitter for christmas cards and have never used it before.

thanks

Jill

clarkrus 11-03-2004 05:11 AM

Heat and Stick is applied similiar to embossing powder. Stamp image with versamark then sprinkle H&S on it. Heat until melted (very fast), do not over-heat. Then it is tacky and ready to apply glitter. FYI, you can also use Crystal Effects to apply glitter. If I want it to last and stay for a long time, I would use either H&S or Crystal Effects.

Jenmouer 11-03-2004 05:13 AM

The BEST way is to use Crystal effect and add the glitter and then let it set for a few seconds and then dump off the extra glitter...

By using CE the glitter will stay put very well

You can use 2 way glue and I have done that in the past -just make sure you use a good swipe of glue so the glitter really sticks.

I use glitter nailpolish when I just need to add a little shimmer.

Likewise - I have used Ice Stickles - they have a variety of colors and the glitter is not coming off with this product nor are you or your children or your pets or anyone else residing in your home covered head to toe in glitter.

Like I said I have used all the above - for me it depends what i am doing and how *glitterfied* I want something to be....

Emily 11-03-2004 08:55 AM

My favorite isthe heat and stick. Especially because if I use dazling diamonds, I can make it any color using the stampamajig and lining up my image on top of whatever color I want to reflect.

tmarie 11-03-2004 09:03 AM

I also like to use either the two way glue or CE. Although, if you are only adding glitter to the outside of the image, then I find that the heat & stick is the best way to go.

nmslmomto3 11-03-2004 12:42 PM

All of the cards in my gallery that use glitter have been done with a fine point 2 way glue pen. I love this pen, as the tip is very small and I can apply exactly the amount of glitter I want to exactly the place I want it. I have the heat and stick powder, but rarely do I want the whole image done in glitter, I usually just want on part to have glitter. I also have CE, but have not tried using this for glitter either.

Hope this helps.
BTW, I get my 2 way fine point at Walmart. It is the Zig brand.

JoCanuck 11-03-2004 01:52 PM

I have tons of glitter because I like it and it's pretty, lots of colours...however I always find myself using stickles glitter glue because it's fast and easy...lolol

WeLove2Stamp 11-03-2004 02:22 PM

can you use the Heat & Stick powder with the 2 way glue if you only want it in a little place? oh! I could use the Versamarker pen for just a little space, right?

NiceRAK 11-03-2004 02:57 PM

my absolute favorite way and a big WOW is the two way glue pen...soooo easy and so simple...I always sell DD and a glue when I do this at a demo.

lburanas 11-03-2004 04:31 PM

i prefer to make a "paint" out of crystal effects and glitter and then paint it on that way i can control how much glitter goes on. when i put glue first then pour the glitter on, i find that to much glitter sticks and it covers up the image.

calbear1969 11-03-2004 05:31 PM

i know it's not su!, but i prefer using glitter glues like stickles. i think the problem for me using other methods is that the glue tends to rub off constantly. which is not awful, because it makes the whole card kind of sparkly, but i want to make sure that there is a good coating of glitter on whatever i'm covering.

however, my upline just told me that she likes to use heat & stick powder, but after she applies the glitter, she reheats with a heat gun and then the glitter kind of melts into the glue and doesn't rub off as easily.

although that has the advantage of using su! products, i'm lazy i find that it's a lot easier to use the glitter glues.

hope that helps!

Racercat 11-03-2004 06:15 PM

I'm sorry NiceRAK but I can never remember anything you say once I see that avatar. What a hottie. :wink:

NiceRAK 11-03-2004 06:33 PM

He is a cutie isn't he??

tomoly 11-03-2004 07:14 PM

For me, it's 2 way glue and glitter, I mean what is better on a card. Wows everytime I do it at a show - it's amazing! I haven't been brave enough to try heat and stick yet.

Henrysmom 11-03-2004 07:17 PM

I use SU's Liquid Glue because it won't alter ink colors...