Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-30-2017, 05:12 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Eggstraordinary Easter Eggs

temporary tattoo paper + stamps ( or you can download her pretty floral designs). Oh my!

beautiful floral Easter eggs {using tattoo paper} - It's Always Autumn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2017, 07:28 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

How fun is that? Thanks for the heads-up! I'm wondering if you could do something similar with napkins and decoupage medium...? Thanks for sparking another idea, too!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 02:42 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm not sure what's in decoupage medium. I wonder if an egg white wash would work as the glue for your napkin idea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Good point...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 855 Likes on 281 Posts

If I were to decoupage designs onto eggs I wouldn't use cooked eggs, I'd blow them out and then decorate the egg.

The egg white wash really wouldn't be suitable for eggs we want to peel and eat because they would grow bacteria. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 01:24 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

You could be right, Shellie, about the bacteria. Our eggs get made the day before and eaten pretty fast. lol! (my mom used to blow out the egg and decorate the shells for her egg tree. sigh. was lovely ...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2017, 04:07 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaddictView Post
If I were to decoupage designs onto eggs I wouldn't use cooked eggs, I'd blow them out and then decorate the egg.

The egg white wash really wouldn't be suitable for eggs we want to peel and eat because they would grow bacteria. Yuck!
Royal icing is made with egg whites and has never - to my knowledge - made anyone sick, so I'm not sure I would be concerned about using it as glue on the exterior of an egg. I think the yolks are more where the problem lies with raw eggs...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Royal icing is made with egg whites and has never - to my knowledge - made anyone sick, so I'm not sure I would be concerned about using it as glue on the exterior of an egg. I think the yolks are more where the problem lies with raw eggs...
I've gone round n round with this "raw egg, what part is not safe" dilemma. What I found out when I researched this (when I was making Tom & Jerry batter to serve at a party) is that any part of a raw egg can contain dangerous bacteria. If you have ever handled eggs straight from the nest, you would understand the potential for fecal contamination. TMI, I know!!!

Back to the egg itself! The shell on an egg is porous and bacteria can pass into it through the shell. That's why the only way to be assured that there is no harmful bacteria is to heat the egg to a safe temperature. I read somewhere that a whole egg can be pasteurized (made safe without cooking it), but I was never able to find out how to do this in a home kitchen.

I know everyone says they never knew anyone who got sick from eating something with raw egg. It DOES happen - my hairstylist had a client who ate/shared raw cookie dough with her granddaughter and both got dangerously ill. Hospital stays for both and scary time wondering if any organs would be damaged. This is scary stuff and it gave me a new respect for proper handling of raw eggs (and other raw food products like meat.)

Not trying to be a Debby Downer about the raw egg thing, but if it is to be ingested, be careful.

As for safe egg washes, there is dried egg white powder that uses water to rehydrate. It is safe to use because it is pasteurized.

Last edited by Boss; 04-01-2017 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Wrong word!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Susy. I have some of that powder (bought it to make the aforementioned royal icing, lol), so if I give this a try I'll go that route. Better safe than sorry, right? I may just do plastic eggs and Mod Podge and call it a day - that way I'll have them for years to come instead of just for a minute...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
How fun is that? Thanks for the heads-up! I'm wondering if you could do something similar with napkins and decoupage medium...? Thanks for sparking another idea, too!
For decorative eggs, not whole/edible eggs - yes, napkins will work. Long ago, I made decorative eggs using styrofoam eggs and napkins. Separate napkin layers if they have more than one ply. Coat styrofoam egg with gesso, let dry, use gesso to adhere design trimmed from napkin.
Reply With Quote Likes