Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Challenge Questions

Not the challenges for SCS, but challenges in gentral. When I see some challenges I have a hard time deciding on the exact letter of the challenge.

Like - no more than X number of layers. Do you count the base card as one layer??

How about Bling veres embellishments..... bling I know would be anything shiny, but is it concidered an embellishment too?? Would a printed die cut be a layer if under another panel and an embellishment if used by it self?

Another one is color, if you have different shades in the same color family would that be just one color?? I mean red to pink can be a big range.

Ususaly when I enter a challenge I just go with what I like as close to the rules as possible, but I have always wondered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great questions! I could also use some clarification on these very same items!

The area I have the most problems with is interpreting theme. I tend to create cards that are way too literal. If I were more artistic I could probably be more open to interpretation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I will ask another way, what is your usual interpretion when you see these??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #4  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

well I don't do many challenges (they seem to make me choke)
but I would count the base as one layer (If you can see it, does that make sense?) like a one layer card, really doesn't have any layers, just stamping on it

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are all great questions to think about!

I not know for certain, but I would interpret the number of layers to include the base layer...and I think that Bling is an embellishment...and like you, I also think that a die-cut would be a layer if under something, or embellishment if by itself...

for color, I always try to stick with the colors as closely as possible, but if it says monochromatic, then you could use a range from light to dark. ??

One question I have is what do you consider to be neutrals? Many times I see one color plus neutrals.

I think most challenges are to spark your creativity and allow for individual interpretation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by snap_scrap_stampView Post
I think most challenges are to spark your creativity and allow for individual interpretation.
This sums up exactly what I was going to say. I usually consider the guidelines for challenges to be loose. The whole idea is to spark your creativity. Let your creativity work its own magic. ;)

I always like the Tuesday Trigger over on Moxie Fab World because of this line..."Please include a statement as to how and why you were inspired as sometimes it isn't easy to tell. ".

That simple acknowledgement that once your creativity takes off, there is no telling where it will go! It's just perfect.

My Stamping Pad
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Glad to see I am not so far off..... it's just with a limited supply challenge it can get........well, very challenging!! Especially when you like tons of layers and bling, and embellies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll add my own interpretation, too:
  • no more than X number of layers.
    I would count the base as one layer and build up from there. If I added a ribbon and a diecut that was not placed over the ribbon, I would count it as two layers. If I placed the diecut over the ribbon, I would call that three layers.

• How about Bling veres embellishments
    As far as I'm concerned, bling IS an embellishment. As is ribbon, little flowers, brads, paper clips, etc. When I think of "bling" I think of sparkly jewels, but I also consider faux pearls to be bling, too.

• if you have different shades in the same color family would that be just one color??
    If I had to make a one-color card, I would think light blue, medium blue and dark blue all as one color--blue. I find it funny that you mention the red/pink thing. In reality I guess they are all just reds, but if I were to use the same tones as my blue card, I'd probably consider the colors to be red, dark pink and light pink. Hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I must be in a minority of not counting the card base as a layer - despite the definition of a one-layer card being only a base.
Bling is an embellishment, definitely. Under bling I'd class gems and pearls, but I some people consider shine and shimmer so they also include Stickles and Smooch and so on, which I wouldn't. I'm never even sure whether they count as embellishments or not!!
Different shades of one colour definitely counts as one colour for me. If I can use blue and green I might have 4 shades of each, but it's still only two colours.
Melissa's reply on layers made me think, because if I were counting I'd never include ribbon, and yet I definitely sometimes use that for a layer/element in the sketch challenges here.
Like you, Sharon, I like to follow the guidelines given as closely as possible and sometimes wish they were more precise - so this is a great question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

I know what you mean Sabrina about more precise guidelines, but it leaves it open to more creative leeway which I like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Just my two cents . . . I run a challenge blog, and I think most challenge blogs aren't that strict. They want to inspire your creativity, not hinder it. I know I'm VERY relaxed on my site because I'm just thrilled to have everyone join the party. But, in the end, it depends on the person running the challenge. People send me e-mails all the time asking me questions about my challenge and I don't mind answering them at all.

So . . . that would be my advice - e-mail the person running the challenge and just have fun.
Reply With Quote Likes